Genealogy Tips?

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
ChelC
The Law

Genealogy Tips?

Post by ChelC »

Do you have some?

I'm am diving in, and I don't have a clue what to do. I am hoping to get a babysitter and go to a class soon. If Heavenly Father wanted to be any more obvious he would have to appear to me and tell me to do it!

I started talking to Jeremy about it recently and how I was feeling a nagging. Then I opened up my homeschool planner and the focus for the next week was of course... genealogy. I had planned it months ago and forgotten. Then I decided to go to a stake relief society thing which I hardly ever do to begin with. I thought it was about charity, but when I got there it was all about... genealogy! Then listening to Sister Hinckley yesterday talking about the generations, by this time I was actually laughing because it's coming up all over the place. I'm way too thick to get the message the first time apparently.

So I know there's a reason - aside from the obvious. If you have suggestions and tips for someone like me who knows nothing and is afraid of repeating everything that is already done... please share!

phylm
captain of 10

Re: Genealogy Tips?

Post by phylm »

Start with yourself...full maiden name, birth date, place of date, then all the info you have or can get on your parents, then their parents, etc.

I would suggest you then take your notes to the Family History Center and ask for help. The people there are usually incredibly helpful and interested in getting you started and keeping you going. And its FREE except for modest fees for print copies or films or fiches that you may want to order. They have PAF (Personal Ancestral File--a church program) on their computers, and you can also download PAF for free on your own from LDS.org. The FHC will probably have Ancestry.com. on their computers, which is fun if you can find an ancestor on it. Some of my lines on it run back to the 700s! Of course, you may want to check some of the info on it for accuracy, and should before you submit names for Temple Ready. And the FHCs have access to limitless genealogy information and records.

I suspect you'll soon be hooked on genealogy, and will be happy that you are! Good luck. phylm

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

ChelC: The Spirit of Elijah strikes again! Good for you! I would be glad to help you any way I can. I've been doing genealogy since I joined the Church when I was 16....and have taught it for years. If you can get some facts together regarding your grandparents and send them to me via private message, I will be more than happy just to see what I can find and e-mail to you to get you started. I have always found that beginners can use a real shot in the arm and then, VOILA !!! They're hooked!

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Thanks.

I have managed in the last couple months to get what my brother has, and there is a lot. Still plenty to do though of course. Our ward had a class about it and I learned a few things there, and my Dad is learning the new system - whatever it's called - that should be coming out soon for us. He gets a sneak peek so he can teach it, and of course I'll be capitalizing on that one!

We've had so much insanity lately with homeschooling, building a chicken coop and getting chickens, planting the garden, and preparing for the state convention tomorrow where I'm a delegate that I haven't had much time for it, but in the next couple weeks things will slow way down and I'll be able to focus on it more. I'm sure I'm making it too complicated, but I'll figure it out. I've always considered myself pretty good at research so I think genealogy work ir right up my alley once I get a good running start.

jnjnelson
captain of 100

Post by jnjnelson »

ChelC wrote:Do you have some?
I have learned a lot about doing my genealogy from FamilySearch.org and from the BYU online class, Religion 261. Of course, the Church is currently redesigning FamilySearch.org to better accommodate the need to limit duplication of effort, so PAF may someday be a thing of the past. Actually I think the redesign is done, but they are incrementally implementing the redesign throughout the Church, and Utah will be last to implement the new version. I am excited for it to be done here in Utah. Best wishes in this very worthy endeavor - this is hard work and very fulfilling work.