Which Flashlight Has Longest, Brightest Beam?

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Which Flashlight Has Longest, Brightest Beam?

Post by freedomforall »

I 've been trying to figure out which kind of flashlight to buy. There's so many kinds, strengths and shapes. I read somewhere not to let Lumens throw us off because it also depends on the quality of projection the beam has in reaching the subject.

This is the Surefire G2x Pro. It offers 200 Lumens.

Or a 1300 Lumen, Ip 65 rating.

Or perhaps this one: http://www.maglite.com/maglite_xl50_led.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

loquaciousmomma
captain of 100

Re: Which Flashlight Has Longest, Brightest Beam?

Post by loquaciousmomma »

I'd go with the Maglite, if only to support an amazing company that still manufactures in the USA. :)

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

I don't know what's brightest or longest, because we use ours for mechanical close up applications mostly, but my husband has the mini Coleman flashlight you can pick up at Walmart and it's awesome. They have a few, ours has I think the highest lumen rating of the minis and is not the version that uses the dumb custom battery- we had that one and the batteries were around eight bucks a pop! So look for that on your hunt.

Post by Like »

I saw this:

http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/The_Torch-74-41.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plus as a guy I like to burn things for no good reason

If you are hungry and bored cook some eggs with your flashlight

This is all just a little absurd, but I could have a lot of fun with this one.

mchlwise
captain of 100

Post by mchlwise »

I wouldn't buy anything without checking them out first - as in play with it and see if it does what you want it to.

Longest, brightest, most useful - these terms are all subjective.

Does it use the kind of batteries you want to use?
It it's brightness adjustable?
Is the beam wide enough or narrow enough for what you want to use it for?
Is it a size and shape you like?

There are dozens of very quality lights out there. All the above questions are subjective and you are the only one that can answer them for you. When you find one that answers all of the above and more for you - buy it.

n8-r
captain of 100

Post by n8-r »

Stay away from SureFire. They are good but WAY over priced! LED is definately the way to go. I hightly recommend the Fenix brand. I have the Ld10. The LD20 is also very good. They both take AA batteries and are really bright with a very good beam.

http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Fenix-Flashlights--281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

I'm looking closely at the Fenix TK 41, 800 lumens, uses 8 AA batteries. I also like the TK45, 760 lumens. There's supposed to be a new TK70, 2000 lumens, uses 4 D cells. (can't be seen on this site though)

See it here: http://fonarik.com/test/indexen.php?mod ... e=1&mode=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Songbird
captain of 1,000

Post by Songbird »

How about this one: https://www.filterthewater.com/products ... lashlight/
Solar Powered Hybrid Flashlight
Solar Powered Hybrid Flashlights also have LED battery backup
No cranking or shaking to charge
Save big bucks on batteries.
Water proof to 40′ and they also float.
Very durable.
Full charge can last up to 9-10 hours.
Will charge in any artificial or natural light.
Will store full charge for three years.
I bought this one and I really like it....I also bought their lantern. I like the concept holding a charge the length of the light etc etc. I do not sell these for all you skeptics who think I might!
This company is the supplier for filtered water bottles for the Church if you are interested. http://www.filterthewater.com

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Songbird wrote:How about this one: https://www.filterthewater.com/products ... lashlight/
Solar Powered Hybrid Flashlight
Solar Powered Hybrid Flashlights also have LED battery backup
No cranking or shaking to charge
Save big bucks on batteries.
Water proof to 40′ and they also float.
Very durable.
Full charge can last up to 9-10 hours.
Will charge in any artificial or natural light.
Will store full charge for three years.
I bought this one and I really like it....I also bought their lantern. I like the concept holding a charge the length of the light etc etc. I do not sell these for all you skeptics who think I might!
This company is the supplier for filtered water bottles for the Church if you are interested. http://www.filterthewater.com
This is a nice light. I am the building security guy four months of the year, for my ward. I go every night during that time. I already have a 4D maglite, but it is lacking in real ability to see dark areas that the pre-installed night lamps don't provide light for. I've already had occasions where people have parked back there and I have to approach with great caution to ask why they are there. I want a light that will light up a large area ahead of me as well as at a distance so that I don't have to get so close to someone before being able to determine my safety. Some flashlights once the bezel is turned for flood mode, there is a dark area right in the middle. (I don't care for that) Then when they are adjusted for distance there is only a narrow beam that has to be constantly moved in order to see what's in front when walking along a trail at night. These are typical problems with many, many flashlights out there. In an emergency or stressful needs, I still think it best to have a flashlight that will give plenty of light for night use. The lantern shown on the website you provided would be real good for campsite use, though. I would think that 200 lumens is pretty good for this purpose. Three or four of them around a campsite would be superb.
My dad, back in the sixties had a Coleman lantern. It had two replaceable cloth looking filaments that burned from "white gas" (if I remember correctly.) I remember it was real bright, too. I only wish now I knew how many lumens it provided on high setting. Anyway, If I get lanterns I don't want weak ones. For just a few dollars more I think one would be happier with the brighter light, especially if one has to cook meals outdoors. A weaker light doesn't allow for intruder detection either.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

I recently purchased a Defiant 3 D cell flashlight from Home Depot. It has three modes, high 590 lumens, low and strobe. Very nice. Bright. Can be immersed. Great storage/emergency/camping item.

RPJR
captain of 10

Post by RPJR »

Streamlight has many good lights to choose from. They are well built and the company stands behind their products.

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Post by Melissa »

This is a weapon light and not a flashlight, the surefire x400 is awesome. I shined the light through a 10 acre field and the light was visible on the trees in the back with a very close spread or other-words pinpointed amazingly well. The other thing that is cool about this light is that it can temporarily blind someone who might be attacking or something like that. Which is why it makes a great weapon light. If you could find that same one in regular flashlight form - go for it!

I also have surefires 6PX tactical and it is nice but disappointed compared to the weapon light. But still very nice, it has the super bright and a dimmer light all in the single push button. The only problem with the flashlight is the tightness or closeness of the light spread - was hoping for better.

Find out what flashlight the cops are using that allow for such a pinpointed beam and get that. At least on the movies their flashlights are really cool with the super bright narrow beam. Thats what I was hoping for with my surefire 6PX tactical but was a bit dissapointed.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Melissa wrote:This is a weapon light and not a flashlight, the surefire x400 is awesome. I shined the light through a 10 acre field and the light was visible on the trees in the back with a very close spread or other-words pinpointed amazingly well. The other thing that is cool about this light is that it can temporarily blind someone who might be attacking or something like that. Which is why it makes a great weapon light. If you could find that same one in regular flashlight form - go for it!

I also have surefires 6PX tactical and it is nice but disappointed compared to the weapon light. But still very nice, it has the super bright and a dimmer light all in the single push button. The only problem with the flashlight is the tightness or closeness of the light spread - was hoping for better.

Find out what flashlight the cops are using that allow for such a pinpointed beam and get that. At least on the movies their flashlights are really cool with the super bright narrow beam. Thats what I was hoping for with my surefire 6PX tactical but was a bit dissapointed.
The Defiant light I mentioned has a throw of 1050 ft which is not to bad. And it is bright. For longer throw check out the Fenix TK70 (2200 lumens) or TK75 (2600 lumens)

I try to buy lights that will use AAA, AA, C, or D cells. Batteries are easier to find.

Check out this brightness test website: http://fonarik.com/test/indexen.php?mod ... e=1&mode=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note that the Surefire M900A has a pretty good throw for 225 lumens.
The Jetbeam RRT-3 Raptor has a very nice throw for 1200 lumens
The Trustfire TR J18 has 8000 lumens
Check out the Polarion lights...wow.

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Post by Melissa »

freedomfighter wrote:
Melissa wrote:This is a weapon light and not a flashlight, the surefire x400 is awesome. I shined the light through a 10 acre field and the light was visible on the trees in the back with a very close spread or other-words pinpointed amazingly well. The other thing that is cool about this light is that it can temporarily blind someone who might be attacking or something like that. Which is why it makes a great weapon light. If you could find that same one in regular flashlight form - go for it!

The Defiant light I mentioned has a throw of 1050 ft which is not to bad. And it is bright. For longer throw check out the Fenix TK70 (2200 lumens) or TK75 (2600 lumens)

I try to buy lights that will use AAA, AA, C, or D cells. Batteries are easier to find.

Check out this brightness test website: http://fonarik.com/test/indexen.php?mod ... e=1&mode=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the link, it is really neat. Saves a lot of time!

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Melissa wrote:
freedomfighter wrote:

Thanks for the link, it is really neat. Saves a lot of time!
You're welcome. I think one or two really good flashlights are essentaial for part of one's storage. If somebody had to spend a night or two outdoors, with no electricity around, a bright flashlight and a good lantern can sure be comforting.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Wow, some of those lights are expensive!!

You can get a decent flashlight for $10-15 on amazon. Maybe not the longest-lasting, but you can get 10 of those for the price of a Fenix, for example.

Those hybrid solars look and sound nice...

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

JohnnyL wrote:Wow, some of those lights are expensive!!

You can get a decent flashlight for $10-15 on amazon. Maybe not the longest-lasting, but you can get 10 of those for the price of a Fenix, for example.

True, but I sure like the 720m throw from the TK70. The TK75 has a throw of 606m @ 2600 lumens. It's all a matter of personal preference. Like I say, the Defiant, 600 lumen flashlight I bought from Home Depot is a nice light for $30.00.

Cowboy
captain of 100

Post by Cowboy »

RPJR wrote:Streamlight has many good lights to choose from. They are well built and the company stands behind their products.
+1

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

FENIX TK75 L2 2900 Lumens with a throw of 690 meters
FNXTK75C_21.jpg
Last edited by freedomforall on May 12th, 2014, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Check out his website as a brain teaser.
Flashlight Brightness Tests

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

I have a Fenix TK61 that I just got. It has a throw of 824 meters (2,703-feet). This light is amazingly bright and with an extension tube kit can provide up to well over eight hours of turbo performance, at a 1000 lumens. It uses 4 or 8 18650 batteries. I use Orbtronic duel protection, rechargeable batteries geared for high performance lights.

SEE: http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-tk61-led-flashlight/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also: http://fonarik.com/test/indexen.php?mod ... e=1&mode=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also mention the TK75, 2900 lumens, 2.264-foot/690-meter beam throw. It's also a very nice light. Also uses 18650 batteries.
http://fonarik.com/test/indexen.php?mod ... e=1&mode=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both are great search lights. Both use the same extension tube kit for increased light longevity.
SEE: http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-tk75rk-runtime-kit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

freedomforall wrote:

True, but I sure like the 720m throw from the TK70. The TK75 has a throw of 606m @ 2600 lumens. It's all a matter of personal preference. Like I say, the Defiant, 600 lumen flashlight I bought from Home Depot is a nice light for $30.00.
I got a nice bright light, decent-lasting, for $3+. Wider scope, or tighter. Normal and strobe settings.

We got hat lights for $1. Not great, but for in house (when lights go out)--I especially hate carrying a flashlight around to do things.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

JohnnyL wrote:
freedomforall wrote:

I got a nice bright light, decent-lasting, for $3+. Wider scope, or tighter. Normal and strobe settings.

We got hat lights for $1. Not great, but for in house (when lights go out)--I especially hate carrying a flashlight around to do things.
Great!. There are a lot of very nice lights out there nowadays.
I now have a Fenix LD75C light @ 4200 lumens with a throw of 489 meters and a TK61, 1000 lumens with 824 meter throw. Also a Fenix PD35 @ 960 lumens. Some people like lots of guns in a cabinet, I like flashlights for all occasions, short distances, long distances, self defense and checking my environment at night.
But I have some cheaper, really nice lights as well. Actually, the PD35 is a very nice light, having 5 modes of brightness and a bright light output. The newer PD35 has 1000 lumens output, whereas the older version has 960 lumens, not that much difference.
Thanks for the input, JohnnyL.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Thanks for info!!!

kennyhs
captain of 1,000

Post by kennyhs »