How can I increase my faith?

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Rincon
captain of 100

How can I increase my faith?

Post by Rincon »

This is off topic, but I believe there are some spiritual giants on this forum, so I am asking for ways to increase my faith. I am aware of the well known advice: Read the scriptures, pray, ask God and study the talks of Church leaders. I have done all this continually for many years.

The Lord has made it very plain that without faith we cannot please him. Faith is absolutely basic and vital. It troubles me that when Peter walked on water for a short distance before his faith failed that the Savior, instead of commended him for walking part way, he chided him for lack of faith. I have always felt like Peter deserved some credit for making it part way. In many verses of scripture the Savior has made it sound like there is no good excuse for lack of faith. Can you force faith? How can I increase my faith? What has worked for you?
Last edited by Rincon on April 1st, 2011, 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

edzachary
captain of 100

Re: How can I increase my faith?

Post by edzachary »

Rincon wrote:This is off topic, but I believe there are some spiritual giants on this forum, so I am asking for ways to increase my faith. I am aware of the well known advice: Read the scriptures, pray, ask God and study the talks of Church leaders. I have done all this continually for many years.

The Lord has made it very plain that without faith we cannot please him. Faith is absolutely basic and vital. It troubles me that when Peter walked on water for a short distance before his faith failed that the Savior, instead of commended him for walking part way, he chided him for lack of faith. I have always felt like Peter deserved some credit for making it part way. In many verses of scripture the Savior has made it sound like there is no good excuse for lack of faith. Can you force faith? How can I increase my faith? What has worked for you?
Well, I'm no spiritual giant and I find myself empathizing with Peter. But what I think the Savior was trying to tell him -- and us -- is that if we want more faith we've got to exercise the faith we have.

My wife and I get into this circular argument all the time about our 18 year old daughter who is flirting with some wayward tendencies. My wife is absolutely scared to death that we've lost her. What part does faith play in this? It applies in that we've done all we can do to teach her and we've got to let her follow her own path. The Lord will not forget her. We will not forget her. We will love her as best we can but we have to take it on faith that she'll be okay. That's the hard part for my wife, who tends to be a lot more black-and-white than I am. But I'm convinced our daughter needs to see our confidence not only in her but also, or rather, especially, in our faith.

I also tend to lean on the wisdom of Brigham Young, who was so pragmatic about things. "If you want your bread to fall from the table with the buttered side up," he said, "you'd best butter both sides."

That's hardly spiritual wisdom but it highlights Brigham's approach to all things faith-related -- Strap it on, dig in, be a man, commit your whole soul and do it well.

I think that -- and a whole lot of forgiveness, especially with ourselves -- is what grows faith. That, and open questioning of the Lord, as Enoch did. Enoch was bold with God. Too many focus on Enoch and the faith he had to move mountains. I think it was Enoch's relationship with God that was so unique and teaches us so much. He challenged God -- How canst thou weep? -- and sought understanding so directly. God loved him for that and blessed him immeasurably. A big lesson for us.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

Nice comments Edzachary? I would share two thoughts that may find a home in your heart. The beginning of our challenge is the border of our faith. I think a huge component of faith is to trust God. When our experience begins to become painful, it is usually because we are faltering in that trust in the divine.

I think of the stripling warriors, I know there had to be many times that a sword was falling toward their head, and they could not possibley get theirs up in time to block the blow, but still they did not doubt. They trusted even as the enemy blade was within an inch of their head, they trusted.

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

keeping commandments = increased faith.

keeprunning
captain of 100

Post by keeprunning »

I think the more we obey little promptings we get the more our testimony and faith will increase. We just need to do our part first by taking that first step even when we don't know why. And I do mean the "little" promptings we get. Instead of arguing in our mind. Just trying to follow as many promptings as we can each day will make us stronger each day. You know those little thoughts? Like--I should tell so and so this, or, I need to go make my bed, or I should get up and do this or that.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Rand wrote:I think a huge component of faith is to trust God. When our experience begins to become painful, it is usually because we are faltering in that trust in the divine.

I think of the stripling warriors, I know there had to be many times that a sword was falling toward their head, and they could not possibley get theirs up in time to block the blow, but still they did not doubt. They trusted even as the enemy blade was within an inch of their head, they trusted.
+1

To me, faith equals trust - if we don't trust God, trust that he has our best interests at heart; trust that he knows the end from the beginning; trust that he wants us to grow and progress; trust that he's on our side - then we will lose our faith in him. One of the best books I've read on the subject is Believing Christ by Stephen E. Robinson. The crux of it is, do we BELIEVE Christ? Not believe IN him, but believe him - trust that he's been telling us the truth?

Sometimes when I think of faith, I picture that scene in The Last Crusade when Indy is at the edge of that immense cliff - nowhere to walk to, but he knows he has to plunge ahead. So he trusts/has faith, takes a step, and the way before him is then made clear. Why should the Lord make the way clear for us (the miracle) until after we've taken that step? To me, that's what faith is. Faith precedes the miracle. :)

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

I summed up most of the first part of what I have to say here: http://oneclimbs.com/2010/09/17/belief-faith-hope-perfect-knowledge-and-the-scientific-method/

when you've gone over that, I'll tell you part two.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

edzachary wrote:I think that -- and a whole lot of forgiveness, especially with ourselves -- is what grows faith. That, and open questioning of the Lord, as Enoch did. Enoch was bold with God. Too many focus on Enoch and the faith he had to move mountains. I think it was Enoch's relationship with God that was so unique and teaches us so much. He challenged God -- How canst thou weep? -- and sought understanding so directly. God loved him for that and blessed him immeasurably. A big lesson for us.
How do we do this without being accused of counselling the Lord?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Rand wrote:Nice comments Edzachary? I would share two thoughts that may find a home in your heart. The beginning of our challenge is the border of our faith. I think a huge component of faith is to trust God. When our experience begins to become painful, it is usually because we are faltering in that trust in the divine.

What about the faith of "Samuel, The Lamanite?" Not one arrow hit him. Then there is Abinadi, he was kept from being harmed until his message was delivered, then he was taken and burned at the stake. I sometimes think our faith is superseded by God's will.
Last edited by freedomforall on March 11th, 2011, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

5tev3 wrote:I summed up most of the first part of what I have to say here: http://oneclimbs.com/2010/09/17/belief- ... ic-method/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

when you've gone over that, I'll tell you part two.

Anyone else wondered this?

Okay. So what is true?
Within the cited scripture we read "hope for things which are not seen, which are true." So one exersises faith, believing they will recieve what is asked, to find out later that what they asked for isn't/wasn't true. Why the confusion? Isn't praying in vain a needless act?

An example of this is: can two people desire and pray for the same thing, one gets it, the other doesn't...why? Was it only true and expedient for one and not the other?

Other scriptures says something about expediency. Like:

Doctrine and Covenants 88:64
Whatsoever ye ask the Father in my name it shall be given unto you, that is expedient for you;

"Whatsoever ye ask the Father in my name it shall be given unto you"...gives us hope, does it not? Then comes the unknown part of the equation..."that is expedient for you." This may hamper the whole intent, does it not?

Doctrine and Covenants 88:65
And if ye ask anything that is not expedient for you, it shall turn unto your condemnation.

This tells us to be careful of what we ask for...no matter how much faith one thinks they have, does it not?

So, who can discern what is expedient for themselves? Why is it that we can pray in faith, just to find out later that the desire of our heart wasn't true, or expedient. Where is the line drawn? Isn't it feasible that faith can only be increased when one's prayers result in acquiring the desired result; their faith is recognized and rewarded? The notion is that one can go for years trying to get an answer about something, having exercised faith, believing they will receive, just to get nothing at all because they didn't know what was true or expedient in that sense.

How can one's faith be increased when one's prayers contain non-expedient requests unknowingly?

Summary: in this context...define what is true...and define expedient.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

"Truth is the knowledge of things as they are, as they were and as they are to come." Truth is God's perspective. "I the Lord am bound when ye do what I say, when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise." When we align our heart and mind with the divine, we are living in faith. When we see things the way God sees things, we are living in Faith in Jesus Christ. Thus is the truth. Outward appearances have little sway on this. Our conscious mind has little sway on this. Our deeper motives, our basest intentions are what drives this. "The inner most desires of your heart", are what drives whether God is bound or not.

When we align our innermost desires with God's, to "bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man", we are living the truth. As the Bible dictionary says as I quoted earlier on a different thread, "We pray in Christ’s name when our mind is the mind of Christ, and our wishes the wishes of Christ—when his words abide in us (John 15:7). We then ask for things it is possible for God to grant. Many prayers remain unanswered because they are not in Christ’s name at all; they in no way represent his mind, but spring out of the selfishness of man’s heart." God is bound when we do this. Our challenge is that it is a very difficult state of mind to arrive at. It is only usually through chastening that it can happen. Joseph's cry, "O God where art thou", type experiences, of which I have had a paucity of in my life.

So intensity of desire has nothing to do with faith. Faith is approaching the mind of Godliness, pure and simple.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Rand wrote:"Truth is the knowledge of things as they are, as they were and as they are to come." Truth is God's perspective. "I the Lord am bound when ye do what I say, when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise." When we align our heart and mind with the divine, we are living in faith. When we see things the way God sees things, we are living in Faith in Jesus Christ. Thus is the truth. Outward appearances have little sway on this. Our conscious mind has little sway on this. Our deeper motives, our basest intentions are what drives this. "The inner most desires of your heart", are what drives whether God is bound or not.

When we align our innermost desires with God's, to "bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man", we are living the truth. As the Bible dictionary says as I quoted earlier on a different thread, "We pray in Christ’s name when our mind is the mind of Christ, and our wishes the wishes of Christ—when his words abide in us (John 15:7). We then ask for things it is possible for God to grant. Many prayers remain unanswered because they are not in Christ’s name at all; they in no way represent his mind, but spring out of the selfishness of man’s heart." God is bound when we do this. Our challenge is that it is a very difficult state of mind to arrive at. It is only usually through chastening that it can happen. Joseph's cry, "O God where art thou", type experiences, of which I have had a paucity of in my life.

So intensity of desire has nothing to do with faith. Faith is approaching the mind of Godliness, pure and simple.
So what catagory is basic needs in? People pray for a new job, the means for a replacement auto, a home, and girl or boy friend or a spouse, and the list goes on. Are these things just frivolous desires? Our basic needs are a whole lot different than for those in heaven.

Sure, if a person prays to win money at a crap table this would be wrong, but when a person asks for a job to feed hungry kids, and months and months go by this can be very disheartening.

When one prays for something, then follows up with "Thy will be done" isn't this nothing more than saying one's desires have no value, that the desire of one's heart is not important? If so, then why pray and ask for things at all? When a child prays...he wants what is asked; he is praying with faith, he has no concept of what is true or not. He does not say "thy will be done." Why should it be any different in adulthood. We are told to be AS A CHILD. Wouldn't this include prayer?

Just some thoughts.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

I am hesitant to participate, in that I am no authority at all, but can share what I have found peace in. We get caught up in our basic needs. They are important, but superficial to matters of consequence, our trusting God rather than our own strength for example. God is willing for us to be hungry, naked, depressed, destitute, and deprived if it leads to greater virtue, or conveys the message the Lord would send:
Isaiah 20:2 At the same time spake the Lord by Isaiah the son of Amoz, saying, Go and loose the sackcloth from off thy loins, and put off thy shoe from thy foot. And he did so, walking naked and barefoot.
3 And the Lord said, Like as my servant Isaiah hath walked naked and barefoot three years for a sign and wonder upon Egypt and upon Ethiopia;"
I don't believe He finds any ease in our suffering, but He does love a soul that is humble, repentant etc. Insomuch that our desired don't conflict with our forward eternal journey, they can be met. I think we are wiser to express thanks for these basics rather than ask God to keep us comfortable by providing them for us, even if it seems to be through our "hard work".

I have personally always had an issue with that phrase in a prayer. In my experience, it seems we are just lacking faith in what we are praying for. If we just say, "thy will be done" in everything, and we are truly okay with that, I think that is good, but most of us ask for what we want, and then, it seems to me, weasel out by saying "thy will be done". We all have a conscience, even little ones. They can and do ask according to truth. Maybe often much more so than with us. Paul addressed this when he said "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." I think for children it may work in a simpler manner, but as we become Men of Christ, we must jump through a smaller hoop.

Also, we are to be Children of Christ. A very different proposition altogether.

Rincon
captain of 100

Post by Rincon »

Thanks for the input all of you. There is a lot to think about here.
Last edited by Rincon on April 1st, 2011, 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Satan's five greatest tools - X(

Doubt: Makes you question God's word and his goodness.
Discouragement: Makes you look at your problems rather than God.
Diversion: Makes the wrong things seem attractive so you want them more than the right things.
Defeat: Makes you feel like a failure so you don't even try.
Delay: Makes you put off something so it never gets started or completed.

But, believing the Savior, and trusting in and putting to use his atonement, can overcome all! :)

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

I've been thinking about the question posed. I came up with these:

Can faith be measured?

How much faith is required to endure to the end?

How much faith is needed to believe in the Savior? (A common question.)

How much faith is needed to believe the Savior? (A not so common question.)

We have learned that "hope cometh of faith" as written in the Book of Mormon. Which one of these, faith or hope, will facilitate carrying one to the goal of having Eternal Life?

What is really meant by one saying they want their faith increased?

Perhaps all of us can learn something here, from answers to these questions.

jim
captain of 10

Post by jim »

I found the section of lds anarchist's blog on the faith of God (https://ldsanarchy.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... archist/#2) helpful in understanding what faith is and how to obtain it.
Be warned it's 14 parts.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Always be preparing yourself.

Pray for what's next.

Follow inspiration and revelation the best you can.

Think things out.

Do what you can do, and trust in the Lord.

What you think the result should be, and what God has in plan, might be very different. Do not think that since you didn't get the result you sought, it was all wrong, you did something wrong, someone else did something wrong, etc.

Of course outside conditions can affect things. Don't worry, do what you can.

Move forward the best you can.

If you are to push your limits, push your limits. If you are not to, don't. We should generally be pushing our limits, but we also definitely need rest. Look at Alma--he would go out and preach, put things in order, etc., then go home and rest. Repeat. He didn't get lazy, but he did take time for other things in life, and for himself.

Realize that we ALL have different talents, gifts, times, ways, missions, and purposes in life.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Alma 32:21
21 And now as I said concerning faith—faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true.

John 20:29
29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Heb. 11:1 (1–40)

1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen

substance...GR assurance, basis, foundation. JST Heb. 11:1 … assurance of things hoped for
evidence...GR proof.

So we have to increase belief and hope if we want increased faith

Another thing we must do is have sufficient trust and confidence in God so we can exercise faith and know it is real. See Lectures on Faith

I'd like to say this is only my opinion, but scriptures are rather clear on this topic, so I suppose you can either take it or leave it as you wish.

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

Rincon wrote:This is off topic, but I believe there are some spiritual giants on this forum, so I am asking for ways to increase my faith. I am aware of the well known advice: Read the scriptures, pray, ask God and study the talks of Church leaders. I have done all this continually for many years.

Peter is such an interesting character. None of the other disciples jumped ship to see whether they could go meet Jesus by walking on water. Yes, Peter got chided some, but if Jesus was all that aggravated, He could have just let Peter sink and drown. Instead He holds him up until he gets back on the ship. Peter jumps ship again after Jesus was resurrected and appears on shore. Like our children we tell the same old thing, over and over, but they just want to learn the hard way sometimes. We still love them regardless.

Jesus chided Peter a lot for a lot of things. But He gave him the power to loose and bind things on earth and heaven. Jesus forgave Peter for denying Him three times after He was arrested by the high priests. But the others had fled when Jesus was arrested. They didn't take this 'opportunity' to deny Him. But Peter still followed Him, even if it was from "afar."

There is a lot to say about Peter, or Petra, the rock. He may have not always had perfect faith, but he was willing to exercise whatever he had at any give moment.

I lack faith many times when I've had many miracles. I just try to remember to ask God to help my unbelief.
Last edited by Rachael on September 5th, 2016, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Begin here: http://lecturesonfaith.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Has anyone been witness to or heard reliable sources of a human lifting off the ground using faith?
Christ walked on water, but in reality, he was walking in mid air, right?
And since Christ got after Peter for having a lack of faith, could we lift off the ground using faith? Walking on water, or lifting off the ground...what's the difference?
Could it be that no one has ever had that kind or level of faith to do such a thing. What does the Savior think about our lack of faith?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

freedomforall wrote:Has anyone been witness to or heard reliable sources of a human lifting off the ground using faith?
And since Christ got after Peter for having a lack of faith, could we lift off the ground using faith? Walking on water, or lifting off the ground...what's the difference?
Could it be that no one has ever had that kind or level of faith to do such a thing. What does the Savior think about our lack of faith?
It is quite an indictment, isn't it?

There is a very good talk about the Holy Spirit by Orson Pratt, which explains how all the elements and the laws of physics are governed by the Lord and it is His Spirit that maintains all this order. For example, scientists understand gravity and can measure it, but they cannot yet explain what causes it. The answer is the Spirit. It is the Spirit, or in other words, the mind of God that maintains all order. Without it, gravity would fail. We would come apart at the molecular level without order. There are many scientific laws, which produce certain effects and chain reactions. In the old testament, when Elisha caused the axe head to float to the surface, gravity was defied by the Spirit. Matter was rearranged, so to speak.

So when Jesus Christ gave Nephi in the book of Helaman the power to seal on earth as in heaven, He gave Nephi God's power over the order of things as we know in this sphere. We know that if we step over a cliff, we will fall until we hit a solid object, usually the ground below. Our temporal bodies are subject to this temporal sphere. But with the power given to one such as Nephi, one can move a mountain, turn the course of rivers, stop the mouths of lions, raise the dead--all the things, which are subject to the order and nature of this physical world. Without this sealing power, however, you can still move a mountain with faith, but only if it is God's will. One's faith is insufficient to contradict the Lord's purposes.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

marc wrote:
freedomforall wrote:Has anyone been witness to or heard reliable sources of a human lifting off the ground using faith?
It is quite an indictment, isn't it?

There is a very good talk about the Holy Spirit by Orson Pratt, which explains how all the elements and the laws of physics are governed by the Lord and it is His Spirit that maintains all this order. For example, scientists understand gravity and can measure it, but they cannot yet explain what causes it. The answer is the Spirit. It is the Spirit, or in other words, the mind of God that maintains all order. Without it, gravity would fail. We would come apart at the molecular level without order. There are many scientific laws, which produce certain effects and chain reactions. In the old testament, when Elisha caused the axe head to float to the surface, gravity was defied by the Spirit. Matter was rearranged, so to speak.

So when Jesus Christ gave Nephi in the book of Helaman the power to seal on earth as in heaven, He gave Nephi God's power over the order of things as we know in this sphere. We know that if we step over a cliff, we will fall until we hit a solid object, usually the ground below. Our temporal bodies are subject to this temporal sphere. But with the power given to one such as Nephi, one can move a mountain, turn the course of rivers, stop the mouths of lions, raise the dead--all the things, which are subject to the order and nature of this physical world. Without this sealing power, however, you can still move a mountain with faith, but only if it is God's will. One's faith is insufficient to contradict the Lord's purposes.
Ah, shucks, just when I had hope of having a bird's eye view of the world around me. Now the thing is, I suppose it is God's will that no one can exercise the faith necessary to raise off the ground. Or are people just plain to scared to ask what the will of God is for them? Therefore, perhaps there are people that could have used faith to leave the ground but didn't bother to ask God.
So where does the LOF fit into the scheme of things?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I suppose if you weary the Lord enough, while becoming perfected in Him, becoming perfect in love, there isn't anything He wouldn't grant you. He granted the three Nephites according to their hearts' desire. I also suppose that once your relationship with Him does reach that level, you won't care to lift off the ground, but instead your desires would reflect His desires, having become one with Him. After all, He did promise if you ask, it would be given, although He has also said that it would be given you what to ask for. As for the LoF, it instructs you to exercise correct faith, which means knowing in whom precisely you exercise faith and to what end.