The Predominant Spirit here

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
SwissMrs&Pitchfire
Level 34 Illuminated

The Predominant Spirit here

Post by SwissMrs&Pitchfire »

We are calling "no joy."

The spirit of pride and contention here assures zero progress. It is amazing how quickly a good thing can be undermined. Satan I believe has stirred up our hearts to contention and thus neutralized us all. We have taken to contending warmly with one another. I apologize to all for the part that I played in rebuking the scorners, or reviling against the revilers.

I pray for your preparations all, but no longer for your petty causes. Our enemies are justified by our actions and it is precisely thus that we are in bondage. The answer then is clear, both for us, and for the Lord. Brethren, prepare and fortify what you have, bad days are ahead for us I fear. Good days for justice, bad days for those thus judged. Nevertheless there is always mercy.

John Adams
captain of 1,000

Re: The Predominant Spirit here

Post by John Adams »

SwissMrs&Pitchfire wrote:We are calling "no joy."

The spirit of pride and contention here assures zero progress. It is amazing how quickly a good thing can be undermined. Satan I believe has stirred up our hearts to contention and thus neutralized us all. We have taken to contending warmly with one another. I apologize to all for the part that I played in rebuking the scorners, or reviling against the revilers.

I pray for your preparations all, but no longer for your petty causes. Our enemies are justified by our actions and it is precisely thus that we are in bondage. The answer then is clear, both for us, and for the Lord. Brethren, prepare and fortify what you have, bad days are ahead for us I fear. Good days for justice, bad days for those thus judged. Nevertheless there is always mercy.
I see your point in many threads, but I still find it amazing how for the most part people here don't take complete offense (e.g., disengaging completely). For example in one thread we're calling each other Satan and in the next thread we're working together to unite around a common theme. I obviously feel the "uniting around a common theme" is the better approach (but still do find it amazing that things aren't worse considering some of the dumb things we've all said in one post or another).

My two cents: "Waking up the Elders" & "Tactings & Strategy" are the most helpful in total (with many also running with the other niche projects as is applicable to their individual situations.)

As always, for the "niche" projects, let's not get offended if everyone doesn't participate (we all only have 24 hours a day). And at the same time realize that even though we don't all write in telling of everything wonderful we've done this week that we all are also probably doing many good things behind the scenes (including in some of the "niche" areas).

AussieOi
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The Predominant Spirit here

Post by AussieOi »

jdadams22 wrote:
SwissMrs&Pitchfire wrote:We are calling "no joy."

I see your point in many threads, but I still find it amazing how for the most part people here don't take complete offense (e.g., disengaging completely). For example in one thread we're calling each other Satan and in the next thread we're working together to unite around a common theme. I obviously feel the "uniting around a common theme" is the better approach (but still do find it amazing that things aren't worse considering some of the dumb things we've all said in one post or another).

My two cents: "Waking up the Elders" & "Tactings & Strategy" are the most helpful in total (with many also running with the other niche projects as is applicable to their individual situations.)

As always, for the "niche" projects, let's not get offended if everyone doesn't participate (we all only have 24 hours a day). And at the same time realize that even though we don't all write in telling of everything wonderful we've done this week that we all are also probably doing many good things behind the scenes (including in some of the "niche" areas).

I think we're all blowing off a bit of steam here and are on the same page enough to wear it back (plus CHH is on drugs so I cut him some slack) and not take it too personally.

having seen contention and some serious flaming I think we're doing pretty well.

I was disappointed that CHH, of all people, laughed at us for determining to try to do something.

As well as that his "coward" diatribe was unnecessary , but I read that and saw a guy with some issues in his own life rather than buying into it. maybe were 2 steps forward 1 step back- if we're moving forward i'll take that

Stephen
captain of 1,000

Post by Stephen »

I have personally struggled with this topic. A "spirit of contention" and personal attacks are never welcome. Politely contending for the faith (Jude 1:3) and against the church of the devil (D&C 18:20) and the ideas espoused by that said church most definitely are.

It is easy to just focus on the doctrines of fighting for freedom…which we need to do…and not so much on the doctrine of understanding….which can seem like a hindrance to the bulldog constitutionalist!! We could pull out a host of statements from the prophets…make cases from the scriptures…and from the founding fathers about “fighting” for our freedoms…both physically and verbally…and yet still there is another side that should be discussed…one of seeking to understand…to have empathy…to look before we leap down another’s throat. THIS IS NOT A COMPROMISE OF OUR VALUES…but a way of communication and life that the Lord would have us adopt.

Robert S. Wood of the Seventy gave a conference talk entitled “Instruments of the Lord’s Peace” that can be found in the May Ensign of 2006 that really can provide the yin of peace and understanding to our yang of exposing secret combinations in government and the evils of the world….and avoiding the pitfalls of returning “railing for railing”. It may be a hard pill to swallow…but an excellent reminder of what the marriage of a fighter for freedom and a disciple of Christ is like (they truly can be the same thing)…

This would be a good one to revisit...

http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/ ... 30,00.html

There is much in this talk that we should take to heart. It would seem that our communications can be most approved of the Lord if we “give our opinions on the merit of the situation as we see it” and avoid disparaging remarks about the person, peoples, governments, parties, etc that may disagree. Sometimes we need to do just like Stephen R. Covey says and "Agree to disagree"...shake hands with a smile and walk away. Let's not be guilty of writing letters to Pahoran. It seems we ought to focus on the words and actions of person....government....etc and bring to light their congruence…or lack thereof…but avoid personal attacks. Logic and good Christian values teach us to love the sinner and hate the sin. I would say “Love the (treasonous, servant of Satan, lover of power and money) congressman, senator, president..etc and hate their actions and bring them to light for the welfare of the people whose freedoms we seek to preserve and restore.” Please correct me if I am wrong!

AussieOi
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by AussieOi »

Stephen wrote:Sometimes we need to do just like Stephen R. Covey says and "Agree to disagree"...shake hands with a smile and walk away. .........................Please correct me if I am wrong!

you're probably not, its just that the thought that on this web site of all places someone would quote that peddler of self depractating misery Stephen Covey makes me a bit queasy.

self help. Self Help Actualisation Movement = SHAM.

sorry, just had to get that in, your about on the money all the same.

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Proud 2b Peculiar »

Being new here, I have really seen the big mood swings in here.

In one way, I can see why it happens. We are being awoken, or are already awake, and it can be overwhelming. The natural man is going to be angry, frustrated, and then vent here. Which helps the individual feel better momentarily but in the long run it undermines the entire purpose of this site to create a unified front.

I personally have had to pray A LOT. And while listening to the talk "The Supernal gift of Prayer." I felt that is what I must do for myself in order to be humble enough to not try to fight this alone, and actually rely on God.

To make this a little more clear, I will use the parable of the 10 virgins.

WE are the lamps. The oil is the light/love of Christ. MANY things can go under this, exercising faith, obeying the commandments, studying, praying, etc. But ultimately, we are to fill ourselves with the light of Christ. And to do that we must be humble, teachable, prayerful, and obedient. We must truly turn to God and trust in him to deliver us. "Look to God and live".

Does this mean that we do not stand up to those that are doing wrong? No. But if we are so focused on our hate for what is happening, how can we be filled with light? How can we become a new vessel? We must be sanctified as a people in order to be a Zion people. Our secret weapon is our Savior, and we can have him fight our battles. I have seen this in my own life, and I strive to be able to increase this. As I have worked on this, I have had amazing experiences. Spiritual experiences that let me know that God is there and the outcome is assured.

As illogical it may seem, what the prophet is asking as to do *IS* the action that we should take at this day and time. It is like looking at the serpent on the staff. It seems too easy in one aspect.. it is not fighting the disease.. but it is what will save us.

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Proud 2b Peculiar »

threepercentite wrote:
Stephen wrote:
Robert S. Wood of the Seventy gave a conference talk entitled “Instruments of the Lord’s Peace” that can be found in the May Ensign of 2006 that really can provide the yin of peace and understanding to our yang of exposing secret combinations in government and the evils of the world….and avoiding the pitfalls of returning “railing for railing”. It may be a hard pill to swallow…but an excellent reminder of what the marriage of a fighter for freedom and a disciple of Christ is like (they truly can be the same thing)…

This would be a good one to revisit...

http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/ ... 30,00.html

There is much in this talk that we should take to heart.
thank you so much. this is a suburb talk and touched me deeply.

That talk said what I am feeling, just had better words LOL

THANK YOU STEPHEN!

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Well S&P, I'm sorry for calling you a Kool-aid drinker. I knew I shouldn't have done it after I posted and read it. I think sometimes our "pet causes" act as a beam in our eyes. I too apologize for "rebuking the scorner, or reviling against the revilers." There's a better way.