Site technical questions...

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Stephen
captain of 1,000

Site technical questions...

Post by Stephen »

It seems that there are some functions on this site that some know how to do and others do not..... This post is for people to be able to ask those questions....that may be self evident to some....and yet not to others.

Here is one of mine.

So when you want to quote someones post...what I do is I copy and paste it...then I highlight it and press the above "quote" button. Is there an easier way?

How does it say that "jonnie said".... Do you type that in? Where do you type it? What am I missing.

cult hero
captain of 10

Post by cult hero »

To the top right of every single post there is a button that says "quote." That will automatically quote the entire message.

Encasing text in a block like so is a normal quote (I use this when quoting an external source like a church talk or something):

Code: Select all

[quote]Some text to quote.[/quote]
If you want to include the name (say you were quoting me) you'd do this:

[quote="cult hero"]Something ridiculously pretentious and far too wordy.[/quote]
Another good tip is to use the url block as I do in the example below for embedding links into your paragraphs:

[url=http://www.somesite.com/]This is a link to somesite.com[/url]
This is especially handy on links that are so long they break the layout. You do not need quotes on the url block, but you do need them when quoting.

Stephen
captain of 1,000

Post by Stephen »

You are rad.

Thank you for taking the time to break that down.

WYp8riot
captain of 1,000

hmmm..

Post by WYp8riot »

The problem I have is that many times I want to quote a pecific point and not an entire post to be reread and use up thread space so I generally avoid quoting the entire post if its not brief.

For me it seems isiest in qouting a sentence or to just to copy and paste.

WYp8riot
captain of 1,000

Re: hmmm..

Post by WYp8riot »

marvelous_truth wrote:The problem I have is that many times I want to quote a pecific point and not an entire post to be reread and use up thread space so I generally avoid quoting the entire post if its not brief.

For me it seems isiest in qouting a sentence or two just to copy and paste.

cult hero
captain of 10

Post by cult hero »

No problem. I'm always happy to see more proper use of code.

I suffer from excessively geeky tendencies and compose my longer responses in a text editor that has built in highlighting and code completion for BBCode. This is the sort of thing that makes me such a popular guy. Heh.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

For those of you that don't have your own "AVATAR" (Avatar is the picture displayed on the left side of your message).

To add an avatar:

click on "Profile" near the top of the page.
choose one of the following:

1. Upload Avatar from your machine (computer)
2. Upload Avatar from a URL (website)
3. Select Avatar from gallery: click "Show Gallery" (easiest option)

the image should be 150 by 150 pixels or smaller. If you have any questions about "pixels" or need assistance resizing your image you can send it to me in an e-mail.

Stephen
captain of 1,000

Post by Stephen »

Which program do ya'all use to most quickly resize a picture for an avatar?

creator
(of the Forum)

quickly...

Post by creator »

Which program do ya'all use to most quickly resize a picture for an avatar?
quickly? Microsoft Office Picture Manager... if you have that one. or even paint, it comes with windows. Most programs that come with digital cameras also have way to resize an image.

I prefer to use Photoshop, but wouldn't recommend spending that kind of money on it if you're just going to use it to resize pictures.

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Proud 2b Peculiar »

cult hero wrote:To the top right of every single post there is a button that says "quote." That will automatically quote the entire message.

Encasing text in a block like so is a normal quote (I use this when quoting an external source like a church talk or something):

[quote]Some text to quote.[/quote]
If you want to include the name (say you were quoting me) you'd do this:

[quote="cult hero"]Something ridiculously pretentious and far too wordy.[/quote]
Another good tip is to use the url block as I do in the example below for embedding links into your paragraphs:

[url=http://www.somesite.com/]This is a link to somesite.com[/url]
This is especially handy on links that are so long they break the layout. You do not need quotes on the url block, but you do need them when quoting.

I am too used to html, will that work in here too?

I noticed the disable html, so I am assuming I could use that?

Well it didn't work, so I guess not :(

SwissMrs&Pitchfire
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by SwissMrs&Pitchfire »

Testing the long link deally:

This is a link to somesite.com

Good deal. Thanks Cult.