Who hates Microsoft now? Advice on Linux

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Rachael
Captain of whatever

Who hates Microsoft now? Advice on Linux

Post by Rachael »

Linux users make fun of windows users since we're not geeky/intelligent enough on coding. I loathe win8 and win10. I'd rather use winVista, winMillenial, or even win93 even tho you had to manually type win forward slash something another, then colon C. What's the best 'out of the box' Linux? And a tutorial on how to code. I don't even know DOS, so do I need to learn that, then progress to learning binary stuff, or is there a good one out there for computer illiterate that can't move beyond win7? I hate them for taking away my solitaire games too, unless I play online on top of making Microsoft Office something you had to buy, when it used to be free. (I learned enough about using OpenOffice to limp by (not buy). Mustards.... Covered in mustards with mustardy filling.

Oh and taking media player away and replacing it with groove. It's like rearranging furniture in a blind person's house. Stuff still the same, but switched around to cause stumbling, bumblings and falls, which are unnecessary. If I wanted my PC to have the interface looking like some kind of smart phone that I never used, unenjoy the learning curve experience, I would have bought a tablet
Last edited by Rachael on April 28th, 2016, 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Who hates Microsoft now? Advice on Linux

Post by JohnnyL »

http://zorinos.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No real need for coding! :)

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

I became fed up with Microsoft and have moved over to Ubuntu.
I was able to use PlayOnLinux to bring all of my Windows apps along with me, including a high-end game.
I also use VirtualBox to run an old Windows XP virtual machine and it is amazing in seamless mode.
Because I have dual-head monitors, it's exactly like having Ubuntu on one monitor and XP on the other one.
I'm very happy with how it all works but this might be a bit beyond most users.
I'm a software engineer so I can do it fairly easily.

onandagus
captain of 50

Post by onandagus »

I usually recommend mint for new Linux users. I have heard zorin is pretty good as well. You probably don't need to learn to code. Basic command line/terminal makes things faster for power users but isn't absolutely nessicary. I always hated how office changes up its interface every other year. Love libre/open office. And vlc player, no more sorry you can't watch that format.

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

I tried mint. First one. virginal. Had to go to my potential programmer sister a few times for stuff, like recognizing the router. Maybe i made bad choice. It had another something another that seemed to be a different platform. But I haven't differentiated those distinctions either yet. I'm not proficient at Apple/Macintosh yet except Safari.

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

jwharton wrote:I became fed up with Microsoft and have moved over to Ubuntu.
I was able to use PlayOnLinux to bring all of my Windows apps along with me, including a high-end game.
I also use VirtualBox to run an old Windows XP virtual machine and it is amazing in seamless mode.
Because I have dual-head monitors, it's exactly like having Ubuntu on one monitor and XP on the other one.
I'm very happy with how it all works but this might be a bit beyond most users.
I'm a software engineer so I can do it fairly easily.
Ubuntu is/was beyond my skill-ety. But so is most of your other stuff that you opine on.

I remember having to pick whether i wanted some kind of "shell" or something, or this Julian/ shell or something debian or another. Whatever that means. Or I'm misremembering my experience with Linux Mint and accidentlially deleting winXT...and couldn't do nuthin, at least online'. Would not recignize my router. Easy fix for my sister, who could program and has a much higher IQ than me. I was rebelling against for Microsoft eliminating xt. But the transition to 7 was actually pleasant after I got that library feature to do what I wanted. I want to tell Microsoft too... Well I can't use those words
Last edited by Rachael on April 28th, 2016, 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

And l got the expletives down, just not the the know how. I need to understand this coding/shell stuff, which will require a lot of preresquites I was not previously interested in learning.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

I am currently running Fedora. I like its interface over Ubuntu. I still prefer the DEBs over RPMs but I will get over that. Even the latest Ubuntu switched to the Gnome Software manager.

My wife really likes her Chromebook but that has a lot of limitations, not the least of which is not printing.

I will look into PlayOnLinux, I have not heard of that before, but truthfully, there is no application from Windows that I absolutely must have. I have always been able to find an alternative.

If you lived closer, I would gladly teach you all you need to know. I am a big proponent of Linux over Windows and OSx.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Rachael wrote:Linux users make fun of windows users since we're not geeky/intelligent enough on coding. I loathe win8 and win10. I'd rather use winVista, winMillenial, or even win93 even tho you had to manually type win forward slash something another, then colon C. What's the best 'out of the box' Linux? And a tutorial on how to code. I don't even know DOS, so do I need to learn that, then progress to learning binary stuff, or is there a good one out there for computer illiterate that can't move beyond win7? I hate them for taking away my solitaire games too, unless I play online on top of making Microsoft Office something you had to buy, when it used to be free. (I learned enough about using OpenOffice to limp by (not buy). Mustards.... Covered in mustards with mustardy filling.

Oh and taking media player away and replacing it with groove. It's like rearranging furniture in a blind person's house. Stuff still the same, but switched around to cause stumbling, bumblings and falls, which are unnecessary. If I wanted my PC to have the interface looking like some kind of smart phone that I never used, unenjoy the learning curve experience, I would have bought a tablet
Rachael,
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

Me either...

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

onandagus wrote:I usually recommend mint for new Linux users. I have heard zorin is pretty good as well. You probably don't need to learn to code. Basic command line/terminal makes things faster for power users but isn't absolutely nessicary. I always hated how office changes up its interface every other year. Love libre/open office. And vlc player, no more sorry you can't watch that format.
You said "terminal". I read that word a lot on the Linux forums. This is probably a dumb question, but I don't know what that means. Is it like the "command prompt " on Windows? If so, Do you get to the terminal the same way?

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Rachael wrote:You said "terminal". I read that word a lot on the Linux forums. This is probably a dumb question, but I don't know what that means. Is it like the "command prompt " on Windows? If so, Do you get to the terminal the same way?

Yes.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

I downloaded Ubuntu to put on a laptop that is on its last legs (I figured I could play with it and it wouldn't matter if it crashed and died) - but Ubuntu, once I finally got it willing to install on the computer, said it needed a FAT (FAT32?) system. Mine is NTFS and will not let me change to FAT.

So, my question is this: Is there a nonMicrosoft operating system (that can install itself like Windows and Ubuntu supposedly can) that can run on NTFS? Open source like Ubuntu is.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

And for non-geeks like myself.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

A Random Phrase wrote:I downloaded Ubuntu to put on a laptop that is on its last legs (I figured I could play with it and it wouldn't matter if it crashed and died) - but Ubuntu, once I finally got it willing to install on the computer, said it needed a FAT (FAT32?) system. Mine is NTFS and will not let me change to FAT.

So, my question is this: Is there a nonMicrosoft operating system (that can install itself like Windows and Ubuntu supposedly can) that can run on NTFS? Open source like Ubuntu is.

Are you using the Ubuntu installation to re-partition the hard drive?
Are you trying to install Ubuntu side-by-side with Windows?

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Here is a great list of alternative operating systems.

http://www.thefreecountry.com/operating ... tive.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.freeos.com/Compare" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

A Random Phrase wrote:I downloaded Ubuntu to put on a laptop that is on its last legs (I figured I could play with it and it wouldn't matter if it crashed and died) - but Ubuntu, once I finally got it willing to install on the computer, said it needed a FAT (FAT32?) system. Mine is NTFS and will not let me change to FAT.

I don't know what FAT is except that I am. I need to find myself I guess. Maybe a Not-The-Fat-Someone (NTFS) can explain. Or maybe FAT is good? Maybe it's Not-The-Fit-Someone

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Rachael wrote:

I don't know what FAT is except that I am. I need to find myself I guess. Maybe a Not-The-Fat-Someone (NTFS) can explain. Or maybe FAT is good? Maybe it's Not-The-Fit-Someone
Bit = 8 zeros or ones (as in 2 bits, 4 bits, 6 bits, a dollar) in the beginning it took a pattern of 8 zeros or ones to represent a single piece of information.
32 = instead of using 8 zeros or ones to represent a piece of information they use 32 (likewise 64 or 128).

FAT = File Allocation Table -- It is a table that tells the OS where a files starts and stops on the hard drive.
FAT32 = a 32 bit FAT table.

Rachael
Captain of whatever

Post by Rachael »

As I feared. I have to learn the Genesis of binary and digital principles. That means math stuff. Analog is bad enough, but a sincere thank you for your input.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

mes5464 wrote:Are you using the Ubuntu installation to re-partition the hard drive?
Are you trying to install Ubuntu side-by-side with Windows?
I really want to replace Windows. No partitions. I did put it in side-by-side and I couldn't see anything when Ubuntu was supposedly running, so I got rid of it (I think). It's an old laptop and I really have nothing to lose by trying to replace the whole thing. I've already backed up the files I want to keep.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Rachael wrote:I don't know what FAT is except that I am. I need to find myself I guess. Maybe a Not-The-Fat-Someone (NTFS) can explain. Or maybe FAT is good? Maybe it's Not-The-Fit-Someone
:)) :))

I sort of think, "The fat system and the Not Too Fat System," but that isn't what it is. Lol I see that mes explained it.

It really wasn't hard to change my ntfs on an older than this old laptop (which is now defunct and long gone). The computer system (no DOS required; I've forgotten it anyway) easily let me get in and change it, using windows. But this computer I'm trying to change now won't let me change the system. It also thinks it has no CD drive, no camera, and no microphone. Since it shut down the CD drive, I figured putting Ubuntu on it might help it realize it does have a CD drive, at least.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

mes5464 wrote:Here is a great list of alternative operating systems.

http://www.thefreecountry.com/operating ... tive.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.freeos.com/Compare" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't know enough about operating systems to know which would be best. (I did look at the links.) I liked Ubuntu because it would install itself (at least if I had FAT32), but it was difficult because I was handicapped by the computer thinking it has no CD drive, and by it not being willing to boot from a flash drive. I need a computer geek buddy (Rachael does, too).