World Cup Thread

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

World Cup Thread

Post by ajax »

I'm tired of all the yammering and preaching around here (myself included).

Anybody following the World Cup?

e-eye
captain of 100

Re: World Cup Thread

Post by e-eye »

ajax wrote:I'm tired of all the yammering and preaching around here (myself included).

I try to like soccer but it's harder to follow than Denver Snuffer.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

e-eye wrote:
ajax wrote:I'm tired of all the yammering and preaching around here (myself included).

You need the holy spirit to understand both. ;)

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Brazil is the only true football team! :)

Amazing that Spain, the last champion, is out!

Ghana kicked the USA (including Dempsey in the head), but lost 2-1.

Can USA beat Portugal???

e-eye
captain of 100

Post by e-eye »

ajax wrote:
e-eye wrote:

You need the holy spirit to understand both. ;)
:)) I could see how one would need discernment for both with all the flopping going on. Sorry couldn't resist. X_X

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Just released, Denver's next sites for talks...

Manaus, Brazil.
Fortaleza, Brazil.
Cuiaba, Brazil.
Natal, Brazil.
Recife, Brazil.
Salvador, Brazil.
Brasilia, Brazil.
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
São Paulo, Brazil.
Curitiba, Brazil.
Porto Alegre, Brazil.
TBD.

12 sites, suggesting fullness......

Dates have not been determined. Denver is planning on conditioning himself to humidity with an extended stay in Houston, Texas. Texas HG member are encouraged to visit him and help him acclimate to large crowds and many questions.

When announcing the new speaking tour to begin in 2015, the year of disaster, Denver said, "I saw those Brazilians supporting the World Cup, they look humble and teachable, though some seem to paint themselves strangely."

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

e-eye wrote: :)) I could see how one would need discernment for both with all the flopping going on. Sorry couldn't resist. X_X
The flopping is purposful distraction, with precedence in scripture - like walking around naked for 3yrs, to test if you can still focus and get the message.

e-eye
captain of 100

Post by e-eye »

rewcox wrote:Just released, Denver's next sites for talks...

Manaus, Brazil.
Fortaleza, Brazil.
Cuiaba, Brazil.
Natal, Brazil.
Recife, Brazil.
Salvador, Brazil.
Brasilia, Brazil.
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
São Paulo, Brazil.
Curitiba, Brazil.
Porto Alegre, Brazil.
TBD.

12 sites, suggesting fullness......

Dates have not been determined. Denver is planning on conditioning himself to humidity with an extended stay in Houston, Texas. Texas HG member are encouraged to visit him and help him acclimate to large crowds and many questions.

When announcing the new speaking tour to begin in 2015, the year of disaster, Denver said, "I saw those Brazilians supporting the World Cup, they look humble and teachable, though some seem to paint themselves strangely."
My whole gooooooooooooooooooooooal was to turn a soccer thread into a Denver snuffer conversation. e-eye-1 soccer-0

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

e-eye wrote:
:)) I could see how one would need discernment for both with all the flopping going on. Sorry couldn't resist. X_X

dewajack
captain of 100

Post by dewajack »

Along with USA, I always root for the Dutch. Arjen Robben is a very talented player, but it frustrates me when defenders swarm to him and instead of passing to an open man, he tries to beat everyone so he can score. What a ballhog! The Dutch have gotten big wins thus far, but I can see his shenanigans costing them a game in an elimination round.

I can see 3 defenders converge on him in the 90th minute of a tied game in the box and I can also see Van Persie waving his arms like C3PO while he's wide open. Robben doesn't look up, proceeds to miss and then they lose in a shootout.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

dewajack wrote:Along with USA, I always root for the Dutch. Arjen Robben is a very talented player, but it frustrates me when defenders swarm to him and instead of passing to an open man, he tries to beat everyone so he can score. What a ballhog! The Dutch have gotten big wins thus far, but I can see his shenanigans costing them a game in an elimination round.

I can see 3 defenders converge on him in the 90th minute of a tied game in the box and I can also see Van Persie waving his arms like C3PO while he's wide open. Robben doesn't look up, proceeds to miss and then they lose in a shootout.
Ain't that the truth. Not sure if they have enough quality in the back and through the mid's. They really miss Strootman (injury).

But they are entertaining nonetheless.

dewajack
captain of 100

Post by dewajack »

And while we're at it, I don't get England. There is talent there, but I think they should have cleaned house and tried a different approach. It's the same old team, year in and year out, playing the same style. They'll probably somehow get through to the next round, although I hope not. I'd love to see Costa Rica get through in that group.

bbacon
Hi, I'm new.

Post by bbacon »

As a former Striker for the Portland Timbers and promised by Coach Sampson I would never play for the US National Team if I did not report to Colorado, Spring but rather went on a Mormon mission, I thought I would chime in.
To the Indiana Jones references we understand it is important to some to be a big fish in a small pond. On any given Tuesday evening an El Classico between Barcelona and Real Madrid will net about 500 million viewers. The Super Bowl with two months advertising and ad nausium build up has 170 million viewers world wide!!! Wow. Big pool your swimming in there. USA v Ghana scored similar US TV ratings to the NBA play-offs!!! Wow. 3.2 Billion people chose to avert there attention from what would bring themselves closer to the Holy Ghost and tuned in to watch the spectacle that was the opening ceremonies of the World Cup put on by what is possibly the largest secret combination globally, FIFA.
I thought it cute when the local sports radio guy decided he was going to route for "Loco Louis" and said if he contacted him he would make him an International star. This shows the hubris of America and its sporting community. A guy on the radio in the fourth largest market in his state thinks he's important enough to make a the most successful striker in 2014, a transfer target of Real Madrid and Beyern Munich, a latin player no less, internationally famous!
As for the boy from Pluggerville your in good company with the Dutch. I would take issue with Robins play. Had he not had the temperament to roll out on the world stage and take the game right to the defending champions his side would have coasted to a nil-nil draw. RVP had ended his season doing the striker no no practicing missing the goal and injured. He played the first 25 minutes with his stomach in knots. Once Robin missed the first effort and RVP hit the back of the net RVP was almost back in his own lethal confident finishing form. Ball hog Robin no just a very confident Dutchman who is carrying his team on his shoulders. Having been double and triple teamed in my own career I can speak from experience, in a large stadium you don't see or hear a team mate waving his hand when your trying to hold up the ball. football is a game played with your mouth open and RVP has to demand it off him. I think the struggle they face is it appears Robin is after the golden boot as much as RVP. That may cause a rift down the line. They also can't rest in the third game as they now have to compete to not play brazil in the knockout stages. Who would have predicted beating Spain and Australia would not have made them safe in the coming brackets!
It will be interesting to see if Italy, France and Argentina Play into the mix in the coming days.
The one thing for sure is this has been the best qualifying round in my lifetime (age 50) and is full of excitement as opposed to everyone playing conservatively to get past the group stage.
As for America our pay to play MLS fraternity is reaping the fruits of its labors. Those who question one of the best strikers in the world leaving Landon Donovan, who openly announced he didn't want to be responsible for scoring goals, need to evaluate what good a mental case would have done on the pitch. You don't tell a goal scorer you don't want to score. Really Donovan, why play the game - you can do anything in this world for money.
Enjoy the matches and if you don't keep your small pond comments to yourself. We know your there and we don't care. The joy we get from football is only eclipsed by the Spirit of God. See first line above.
Cheers and may your country go through,
BB

bbacon
Hi, I'm new.

Post by bbacon »

Who would have thought a month ago the US would be in a position to put Portugal away and go through in first place in the group of death!!
Just hope their fitness doesn't let them down. They looked fatigued at the end of the Ghana game, many of the teams have struggled to recover for their second game and they are playing in the rain forest venue. This has been the most challenging climate and travel wise of all the venues. So good luck US lads. We will be keeping the sabbath day holy and hope you have fulfilled all your wildest dreams when we go at it on Monday!
Cheers,
BB

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Uruguay leads Italy 1 to 0. Whoever wins goes on. #-o

And yes, I am still upset USA let Portugal tie on the last kick of the match. Only USA would do something like that.

jockeybox
captain of 100

Post by jockeybox »

Hell Ya!
My English lads got knocked out pretty quick.
I've been cheering on the US and I've always liked the Netherlands bright Orange attire (although it's lacking this time around).

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Italy, England, Spain out. Amazing. Maybe it's the humidity.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

sen6b wrote:I have to confess that soccer is my guilty pleasure. Soccer players are HOT! I'm secretly a huge fan of REAL salt lake. And a not so secret fan of Cristiano Ronaldo. @-)
I hope you didn't see Ronaldo when he took his shirt off! Or you have to talk to your bishop!!!!!

Greece is trying to send Ivory Coast packing!!!

I love World Cup :) :ymparty: :ymapplause: (-|

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Here's to hoping Ajax will be ok, no orange in the final. :(

Germany or Argentina????? :-?

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Germany--unless Messi gets kid gloves treatment by the ref again.
Should be a great game.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Awesome finish and placings! Nothing to make me cheer for a side than a referee who clearly prefers the other...

Benjamin Harrison
captain of 100

Post by Benjamin Harrison »

Argentina should have won! Bet you can guess where I served!

Bambi
captain of 100

Post by Bambi »

Summary: (11sec)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLZUKqpXYzU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;