Is Current Temple Rec. Prerequisite to Get Celestial Glory?

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Is Current Temple Rec. Prerequisite to Get Celestial Glory?

Post by freedomforall »

1. Once a couple receive their own endowment and never return to the Temple thereafter, can they still attain Celestial Glory? If not, why? Assuming they keep their covenants and strive to be righteous, of course.

A recommend is not, by any means proof that a person is honest, chaste, loving or power hungry. I had LDS bosses that I most certainly would not have wanted them to be my neighbor.

I know members keep a current recommend at all times, and I know it is because they enjoy serving, and it helps them to feel closer to the Savior, but isn't it the initial endowment and its adherence that is required?

How many saints wonder this?
Last edited by freedomforall on February 23rd, 2011, 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Re: Is Current Temple Rec. Prerequisite to Get Celestial Glo

Post by freedomforall »

JulesGP wrote:
freedomfighter wrote:Once a couple receive their own endowment and never return to the Temple thereafter, can they still attain Celestial Glory? If not, why? Assuming they keep their covenants and strive to be righteous, of course.

A recommend is not, by any means proof that a person is honest, chaste, loving or power hungry. I had LDS bosses that I most certainly would not have wanted to them to be my neighbor.

I know members keep a current recommend at all times, and I know it is because they enjoy serving, and it helps them to feel closer to the Savior, but isn't it the initial endowment and its adherence that is required?

How many saints wonder this?
My belief is that this is not necessarily a gauge the Lord himself will use. He knows our hearts and will be our judge. I personally know some amazing and Christlike people that do not have recommends (for various reasons that have absolutely NOTHING to do with their level of righteousness), and can testify without reservation that they are far more worthy to enter the Celestial Kingdom than many recommend holders I know. I believe that a recommend and the process of obtaining one is a "filter" for the church organization to be able to keep the temples as clean as possible, but again - I don't believe that THAT piece of paper will be requested at the veil after this life. IMHO :)
Thanks, Jules. Let's go one step further and join the previous question with an additional one. A two-fold question Is now in effect. 2. Is a recommend required in order to be considered "enduring to the end?" This question does to pertain to those members that have never been to the temple because this would be unfair to them.

Songbird
captain of 1,000

Post by Songbird »

IMO: No Freedom Fighter, again for the reasons that Jules posted. My understanding is that we are encouraged to have a recommend because of the Spiritual protection it provides. It serves as a reminder, as do other things, of the covenants we have made in the Temple. When I look in my wallet and see it there, I am reminded...

Along that thinking, humans are the worst when it comes to remembering. My own thinking is, and has been, that the word, "remember" is one of the most important words in the language of the Gospel. Without it, we have no covenants in Sacrament, Endowments, initiatories etc etc. Because of that, the Lord gives us the scriptures, ordinances, prophets, leaders, teachers, recommends, patriarchal blessings and so on, basically because we need to be reminded more times than many of us are willing to admit, that we are "nothing", that we are dependent on that "being" who created us.

I realize that a piece of paper does not make us any more worthy than the next person, but we are told that it is between us and God. We know and God knows. Whether someone holds a piece of paper that says he is worthy of the Temple or he doesn't, that fact of truth lies in his heart and only God knows our hearts. The bottom line is that we have been encouraged to hold a recommend whether we can get to a Temple or not. That is good enough for me...Obedience is the key...Most people around the world can get a Temple recommend interview and can hold one. I was so impressed when, several years ago, these sisters in Africa walked 20 miles to get and renew their Temple recommends, when the opportunity for them to get to the Temple was remote.

I imagine that the process of being worthy for and receiving a Temple recommend is a type and a shadow for proceeding to the Celestial kingdom. Everything is symbolic. (Just my opinion and thoughts.)

keeprunning
captain of 100

Post by keeprunning »

I think that the importance of always having a current recommned is all about spiritual preparedness.

7cylon7
captain of 1,000

Post by 7cylon7 »

Basically yes. If you can not answer all those yes that have a yes or no answer in the yes then you might be in trouble of the top spot. I agree with what has been said but the basic answer is yes.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

There may be some who can go to the temple one time and grasp the fullness of what they are committing to, and then honor those commitments without further attendance, and have no possible family to do the work for, and thus can grasp the fruit and taste of its essence and honor it in their lives with one effort. I am not that person. I have worked in the temple for two years, and am just beginning to have my view of the eternities expanded. Does the paper a recommend give a pass into the highest degree of the kingdom of God? No. Does the ability to qualify to go to the temple give you the full effect of the temple in your life? No. I don't think they will ask for that paper at the gate. I do believe if you have become what the temple teaches in its subtlety and by the spirit, you will pass by ...

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

NO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7cylon7
captain of 1,000

Post by 7cylon7 »

Here is a simple example folks that think no.

Do you pay tithing? NO

Sorry you are out!

Can you overcome this yes, repent and be forgiven yes.... but if a man knows to pay tithing (as it is the law right now) and does not the entire time he is alive on this earth and then dies not paying it. The top slot is out..... where you end up I really don't now ... the celetrial kingdom is still available but so is the Terrestrial. Remember there are 3 more degrees in the Celestial realm.

fps.sledge
captain of 100

Post by fps.sledge »

A temple recommend isn't a prerequisite to getting into the celestial kingdom. Baptism (and renewing the covenants weekly) is the only prerequisite.

Although based on the spiritual nature of maintaining a temple recommend, yeah probably. We are asked to keep the covenants we make and repent if we don't. This is what qualifies us for the highest kingdom. I imagine there are other requirements for the different degrees within the celestial kingdom.

I would be surprised if there was some set-in-stone checklist. I'm curious as to the intent of the OP more than anything. The answer could just lead ourselves to judging others unrighteously.

Songbird
captain of 1,000

Post by Songbird »

Really Christ has only named a few reuirements: Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, Rempentance, Baptism, HG and Endure to the end...Obedience is wobven through all of this. If you are not obedient it is hard to get anywhere of value...

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

We know a person needs to receive the ordinances (in person or by proxy) offered in the Temple in order to get into the Celestial Kingdom. Either way a recommend is required.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

7cylon7 wrote:Basically yes. If you can not answer all those yes that have a yes or no answer in the yes then you might be in trouble of the top spot. I agree with what has been said but the basic answer is yes.
It is a fact that some members go in and blatantly lie in order to get a recommend, so answering those questions cannot be a solid foundation. I submit there are lots of saints that do a better job of keeping the commandments than do some temple recommend holders.

And I fully agree and thank those who posted a "no" because I think they get it. There are members, like myself, that want to be squeeky clean when going in for one. But we all sin, and sometimes it's hard to answer those questions after yelling at a crazy driver, or saying a cuss word, or thinking an impure thought, and the list goes on.

There again, aren't we thankful for the Atonement and that God truly knows our heart and intent. A person can say yes to all the questions and be far from pure righteous living by his actions.

When a person has health issues that may keep them from attending the temple, is he or she going to be told "sorry, you can't come in" when that day of judgement arrives?

I also submit that if an endowed, unattending person feasts upon the word on a regular basis, they have just as good a chance of entering the Kingdom as any one holding a current recommend. I mean, what's the proof that one person is any better than the other when it comes to sin and temple attendance?

We have to "remember" God does not allow sin, in the least degree. Doesn't this present a dilemma? No one is free of sin accept through repentance with real intent, and the Atonement. So how many members just got thrown outside of the temple because they weren't quite up to snuff? That piece of paper is only as good as the intent of the holder is...in striving to stay on top of the repentance factor. This is serious stuff, right?

Therefore, how can anyone be kept from the highest degree of the Celestial Kingdom when striving to be as righteous as possible, even if they don't have a current recommend? Think about it, some people may let their recommend expire and delay getting it renewed. Then, all of a sudden, poof!, their dead. "Whoops...this person doesn't have a recommend so they cannot enter in" Is that fair?

I still stand by the belief that a person, once having gone through the temple "for their own endowment" will get the prize. Every single attendance thereafter is for someone else, generally by proxy. Period.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

shadow wrote:We know a person needs to receive the ordinances (in person or by proxy) offered in the Temple in order to get into the Celestial Kingdom. Either way a recommend is required.
Please explain. My question relates to those who have already received an endowment, and then not ever gone back to the temple. Otherwise, you are correct.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

freedomfighter wrote:
shadow wrote:We know a person needs to receive the ordinances (in person or by proxy) offered in the Temple in order to get into the Celestial Kingdom. Either way a recommend is required.
Please explain. My question relates to those who have already received an endowment, and then not ever gone back to the temple. Otherwise, you are correct.
I'd look to the Temple for info regarding how one gets into the Celestial Kingdom or Celestial "Room" as it may be called. Just because a person at one point in his life was worthy, doesn't mean he can relax and let life go on without "enduring". Before we enter the Celestial Kingdom some requirements will need to be met, be that it's to overcome ignorance or repent of slothfulness and/or other sins one must be worthy. The church is assembled on the other-side of the veil too. There's probably bishops, stake presidents, etc. etc. If an endowed member dies inactive then he will still be inactive still and must repent and meet with priesthood authorities on the other-side to determine worthiness IMO. I believe a recommend is still needed. I also believe everyone will eventually be recommended! (I have to stir the pot for ChelC's sake :YMPARTY: )

gooseguy11
captain of 100

Post by gooseguy11 »

freedomfighter wrote:
7cylon7 wrote:Basically yes. If you can not answer all those yes that have a yes or no answer in the yes then you might be in trouble of the top spot. I agree with what has been said but the basic answer is yes.
It is a fact that some members go in and blatantly lie in order to get a recommend, so answering those questions cannot be a solid foundation. I submit there are lots of saints that do a better job of keeping the commandments than do some temple recommend holders.

And I fully agree and thank those who posted a "no" because I think they get it. There are members, like myself, that want to be squeeky clean when going in for one. But we all sin, and sometimes it's hard to answer those questions after yelling at a crazy driver, or saying a cuss word, or thinking an impure thought, and the list goes on.

There again, aren't we thankful for the Atonement and that God truly knows our heart and intent. A person can say yes to all the questions and be far from pure righteous living by his actions.

When a person has health issues that may keep them from attending the temple, is he or she going to be told "sorry, you can't come in" when that day of judgement arrives?

I also submit that if an endowed, unattending person feasts upon the word on a regular basis, they have just as good a chance of entering the Kingdom as any one holding a current recommend. I mean, what's the proof that one person is any better than the other when it comes to sin and temple attendance?

We have to "remember" God does not allow sin, in the least degree. Doesn't this present a dilemma? No one is free of sin accept through repentance with real intent, and the Atonement. So how many members just got thrown outside of the temple because they weren't quite up to snuff? That piece of paper is only as good as the intent of the holder is...in striving to stay on top of the repentance factor. This is serious stuff, right?

Therefore, how can anyone be kept from the highest degree of the Celestial Kingdom when striving to be as righteous as possible, even if they don't have a current recommend? Think about it, some people may let their recommend expire and delay getting it renewed. Then, all of a sudden, poof!, their dead. "Whoops...this person doesn't have a recommend so they cannot enter in" Is that fair?

I still stand by the belief that a person, once having gone through the temple "for their own endowment" will get the prize. Every single attendance thereafter is for someone else, generally by proxy. Period.
I agree with everyone. I think one can be much more difficult on oneself than any bishop may be. I say go in for the interview to discuss what needs to be changed or worked on. Don't exclude onself because we don't feel worthy to be in the presence of the Lord. If that were the case I think most would say " I am not worthy."

The following is an excerpt from Pres Hunters' initial talk as he became the new president of the church. I remember this clearly as I was a re-newwing convert of the church at the time, and I felt very impressed to go talk to the bishop. And soon thereafter recieved a clear impression while attending the temple to go on a mission, which I did.

"In that spirit I invite the Latter-day Saints to look to the temple of the Lord as the great symbol of your membership. It is the deepest desire of my heart to have every member of the Church worthy to enter the temple. It would please the Lord if every adult member would be worthy of—and carry—a current temple recommend. The things that we must do and not do to be worthy of a temple recommend are the very things that ensure we will be happy as individuals and as families.

Let us be a temple-attending people. Attend the temple as frequently as personal circumstances allow. Keep a picture of a temple in your home that your children may see it. Teach them about the purposes of the house of the Lord. Have them plan from their earliest years to go there and to remain worthy of that blessing.

If proximity to a temple does not allow frequent attendance, gather in the history of your family and prepare the names for the sacred ordinances performed only in the temple. This family research is essential to the work of the temples, and blessings surely will come to those who do that work."

Cowboy
captain of 100

Post by Cowboy »

freedomfighter wrote:
An impossible question to answer. It begs us to judge our neighbor who never goes back, which is wrong, especially because there are way too many why's and if's or because's.
If someone is Baptized, Confirmed, Has their Initiatory work done and is sealed in the Temple AND... has not broken their covenants.....Why wouldn't they go to the Celestial Kingdom?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Cowboy wrote:
freedomfighter wrote:
An impossible question to answer. It begs us to judge our neighbor who never goes back, which is wrong, especially because there are way too many why's and if's or because's.
If someone is Baptized, Confirmed, Has their Initiatory work done and is sealed in the Temple AND... has not broken their covenants.....Why wouldn't they go to the Celestial Kingdom?
Way to go Cowboy, you just passed the eight second mark!

mchlwise
captain of 100

Post by mchlwise »

Yeah, the question is flawed.

Is holding a current temple recommend a prerequisite? No. The piece of paper doesn't make the difference.

Is being worthy of holding a temple recommend a prerequisite? Probably. If you aren't worthy of holding a recommend, you likely aren't worthy of returning to His presence... but again that is not for us to judge.

I don't understand why anyone who is worthy to hold a recommend wouldn't, but that's just me.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

mchlwise wrote:Yeah, the question is flawed.

Is holding a current temple recommend a prerequisite? No. The piece of paper doesn't make the difference.

Is being worthy of holding a temple recommend a prerequisite? Probably. If you aren't worthy of holding a recommend, you likely aren't worthy of returning to His presence... but again that is not for us to judge.

I don't understand why anyone who is worthy to hold a recommend wouldn't, but that's just me.
Think about this one. We go to the temple to do someone's work by proxy, correct? They get baptized, confirmed and initiatory work and endowment follow. Then they are SEALED. We have no clue whatsoever who this person is, right? They may have been a wicked person for all we know. However, we do their work for them possessing the hope they accepted the ordinances, right? Why?

Do they, upon their acceptance of such ordinances, get to enter into the Celestial World at some point? If not, why do their work?

Is an endowed person here on earth that strives to keep the commandments, covenants, etc. but only goes to the temple once, isn't this individual more worthy than someone getting work done for them after they left this world? We have to think outside the box.

I'm glad God will sort it all out.

Rincon
captain of 100

Post by Rincon »

Removed
Last edited by Rincon on April 2nd, 2011, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

A temple recommend is only a physical record that you are in tune with the law as to the letter and your own declaration of worthiness. It's always what is at your core that matters and what is between you and Christ. Salvation is free if we want it.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

JulesGP wrote:
freedomfighter wrote:
mchlwise wrote:Yeah, the question is flawed.

Think about this one. We go to the temple to do someone's work by proxy, correct? They get baptized, confirmed and initiatory work and endowment follow. Then they are SEALED. We have no clue whatsoever who this person is, right? They may have been a wicked person for all we know. However, we do their work for them possessing the hope they accepted the ordinances, right? Why?

Do they, upon their acceptance of such ordinances, get to enter into the Celestial World at some point? If not, why do their work?

Is an endowed person here on earth that strives to keep the commandments, covenants, etc. but only goes to the temple once, isn't this individual more worthy than someone getting work done for them after they left this world? We have to think outside the box.

I'm glad God will sort it all out.
I wonder what the requisites are for the person on the other side to be ABLE to accept the ordinances.... Hmmm... that does open up a bunch of new facets to the question... :-?
Quite right Jules. What would our proposed questions be? And we know that their conversion isn't spontanious.
I believe we humans assume too much; we don't give thought to what happens on the other side "because someone else is handling it" We go do ordinance work just because we are told to. And we simply assume the recipient is chomping at the bit, waiting for it. Not necessarily so, is it? They have to use their agency just as we do.
So I contend that whether we go once or one-thousand times to the temple, we are still ahead of any of them.
We struggle to ward off satan and other evil spirits for days, months and years. We succumb to temptation and repent, hoping for forgiveness. We fall on the notion that so and so is better than us. So and so is living a better life. So and so is more righteous. On and on. So I say, let's give ourselves a big break. Mormons have a tendency of pointing out another's wrong doings, when we're supposed to be loving one another, forgiving one another and saying to one another "it's not how many times you fall, it's how many times you get up and press forward." It's not who the best liar is, the one that decieves himself, it's who is striving the most with real intent, repenting and pressing forward.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

freedomfighter wrote:So I contend that whether we go once or one-thousand times to the temple, we are still ahead of any of them.
I contend that's a false notion. We cannot be perfected without them, nor them without us.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

shadow wrote:
freedomfighter wrote:So I contend that whether we go once or one-thousand times to the temple, we are still ahead of any of them.
I contend that's a false notion. We cannot be perfected without them, nor them without us.
I've already explained it, but I'll talk slower this time. Those people we do work for, many of which could have cared less about the Savior while on earth, we assume will all of a sudden jump into a righteous mode just because we do their work? That's unrealistic thinking and goes against scripture.
Those of us here who have spent years and years striving to be good, follow the Savior, etc. have had to fight Satan the whole time, something a lot of those people didn't do. You don't think this counts for something in our favor?
As stated already, you cannot place a wicked person in a righteous realm and expect them to be on the same plane as the rest. It's totally unnatural. Let the scriptures speak. We have our agency to accept or reject what is written.

Alma 41:12,13
And now behold, is the meaning of the word restoration to take a thing of a natural state and place it in an unnatural state, or to place it in a state opposite to its nature?

13 ...this is not the case.

And
Alma 5:14-21
14 And now behold, I ask of you, my brethren of the church, have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts?

15 Do ye exercise faith in the redemption of him who created you? Do you look forward with an eye of faith, and view this mortal body raised in immortality, and this corruption raised in incorruption, to stand before God to be judged according to the deeds which have been done in the mortal body?

16 I say unto you, can you imagine to yourselves that ye hear the voice of the Lord, saying unto you, in that day: Come unto me ye blessed, for behold, your works have been the works of righteousness upon the face of the earth?

17 Or do ye imagine to yourselves that ye can lie unto the Lord in that day, and say—Lord, our works have been righteous works upon the face of the earth—and that he will save you?

18 Or otherwise, can ye imagine yourselves brought before the tribunal of God with your souls filled with guilt and remorse, having a remembrance of all your guilt, yea, a perfect remembrance of all your wickedness, yea, a remembrance that ye have set at defiance the commandments of God?

19 I say unto you, can ye look up to God at that day with a pure heart and clean hands? I say unto you, can you look up, having the image of God engraven upon your countenances?

20 I say unto you, can ye think of being saved when you have yielded yourselves to become subjects to the devil?

21 I say unto you, ye will know at that day that ye cannot be saved; for there can no man be saved except his garments are washed white; yea, his garments must be purified until they are cleansed from all stain, through the blood of him of whom it has been spoken by our fathers, who should come to redeem his people from their sins.

Certainly, if a person goes to the temple and then falls away for the reminder of his life, then yes, he is worse off. But that is not what is being discussed here. It is about going to the temple and staying faithful until death.
I just don't think that by not having a current recommend all of a sudden deems us unrighteous. And for anyone who says "there is no reason why a righteous and endowed person wouldn't have a recommend" are they making a judgement statement, and not speaking out of compassion, understanding or charity?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Thanks a bunch Jules.
I just like to think outside the box. I think we learn much more that way. And I'm not for living the gospel with blinders on. I believe the more we learn and understand the better we become in living the gospel without everybody elses opinions. The scriptures are repleat with what we need to know...and how to show compassion for others who are on a different spiritual plane. And I love using scripture to back up my views where possible, because I'm not smart enough to make this stuff up. Then I am less likely to be accused of using opinion. When Jesus spoke to and cast Satan away, He used scripture, not opinion.