Check out these Waves in Chilie! Ocean mysteriously recedes from various beaches

Discuss political news items / current events.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Re: Check out these Waves in Chilie! Ocean mysteriously recedes from various beaches

Post by Silver Pie »

Interesting. I've never heard of that happening. I wonder if there are any news reports about it. It seems strange that the ocean would recede without a wave coming in, and the ocean is so huge, how could it not rush back in at some point? I mean, there was no earthquake causing the land to rise up higher. I'd like to see some news verification on this thing.

scottja
captain of 100

Re: Check out these Waves in Chilie! Ocean mysteriously recedes from various beaches

Post by scottja »

Are there any pictures from six hours later?
There are a lot of places around the world where low tides, and or super low tides will drain the channels, fishermen know this, and in a few hours the water will come back just like normal.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I would be interested in seeing pictures 6 or even 12 hours later, too.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

A historic ocean receding caused by strong northerly winds occurred in several coastal cities of Uruguay and Brazil on August 11 and 12, 2017.

In Punta del Este, Uruguay, the ocean receded more than 10 meters (32.8 feet) in about 15 minutes on August 11, leaving yachts, fishing boats and sea lions stranded. Meteorologists said the phenomenon was caused by strong winds coming from the north. However, due to its severity, many people thought it was a sign of a tsunami.

Earlier in the day, Uruguayan Meteorological Institute (INUMET) issued orange wind warnings for the departments of Montevideo, Canelones, Maldonado, Rocha and Lavalleja.

The same phenomenon occurred along country's southern and southeastern coasts on August 8 and in Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, especially in Guaiba, near capital Porto Alegre and Tramandai, on Saturday, August 12.

In Guaíba, a city located in the Metropolitan Porto Alegre, water level dropped 0.31 m (1 foot) in 24 hours, reaching 0.24 m (0.78 feet) on Saturday morning, its lowest level in the last 12 years. The average level in the month of August is 0.97 m (3.18 feet).

According to Porto Alegre government, the phenomenon in Guiaba was 'verified along the entire border of the Historic Center to the South.' The event, similar to that observed during the drought in 2005, occurred due to strong winds and a period of 60 days with little or no rain, it said.

The situation normalized on Sunday, August 13.

https://watchers.news/2017/08/14/histor ... d-uruguay/

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

That is really weird. I've never heard of this happening not in conjunction with a tsunami.