Bruce Jesson going on trial

Discuss political news items / current events.
Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Bruce Jesson going on trial

Post by Lizzy60 »

Bruce Jesson, who resigned as his ward's Bishop after only one week, when word got out about what he did in his job as a military psychologist, is now headed for trial, for promoting the use of torture during interrogations.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cia-torture- ... 36035.html

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Bruce Jesson going on trial

Post by Joel »

Part of a deposition on this case was published back in June. check it out https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... rture.html

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I cannot help but think that when a man has to be released one week after being installed as a bishop, something went wrong in the process of his being called to begin with. Ii ask myself why would the Lord allow a man to be called to a position only to be released in such a short time. It is my understanding that call to such positions are inspired. I must admit to having had doubts on other occasions as well.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

Maybe he was called for people above him to know they have to clean house?

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

What I want to know is, are his supervisors going on trial? The prison personnel who did the torture? The many other people who were involved in one way or another?

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

"Mormons Jay Bybee and Bruce Jessen dehumanized others....
"
http://religionnews.com/2014/12/10/morm ... e-torture/
jay bybee bruce jesson
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/search?ei=UT ... e%20jesson

looks like lds experts serve agenda.... :-B

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

lundbaek wrote: August 8th, 2017, 5:45 pm I cannot help but think that when a man has to be released one week after being installed as a bishop, something went wrong in the process of his being called to begin with. Ii ask myself why would the Lord allow a man to be called to a position only to be released in such a short time. It is my understanding that call to such positions are inspired. I must admit to having had doubts on other occasions as well.
I think the ability to discern the origin of inspiration correctly 100% of the time is a challenge for all members. from the new convert to the seasoned General Authority. Now, don't misunderstand me here. I'm not saying that I think the Stake President made a mistake in calling this man to be a Bishop. His choice of a Bishop is not in my area of stewardship, so I have no opinion one way or the other. I'm just saying that nobody is perfect. There probably have been times in the past when the Lord told someone, "No!" and the seeker of the inspiration thought the Lord was telling him something different.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Matchmaker wrote: August 8th, 2017, 9:06 pm There probably have been times in the past when the Lord told someone, "No!" and the seeker of the inspiration thought the Lord was telling him something different.
I think that happens way more than the leaders and the rank-and-file members would like to believe, speaking from experience and observation. But I also believe God is always a step ahead of the mistakes we all make, and factors it all in to His plan.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

From my experience..

Normally, the Lord accepts whomever is presented to Him. I have been present when the Lord has made it clear that someone specific should be called. I have been present when the Lord has clearly said no. I have personally been in the position where the Lord made clear to me whom I should call. But for the most part, the Lord lets His priesthood leaders select who they want for various callings, and lets the membership decide whether to accept them or not.

I think from the Lords perspective it really isn't that important. If someone is willing to devote themselves to the Lord and to serving, for the most part they are acceptable to Him.

My guess here is that he is being released for publicity reasons. This is a civil suit. He is not accused of doing anything illegal and there is no indication as I can see that he is heading for church discipline.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Serragon wrote: August 8th, 2017, 11:04 pm From my experience..

Normally, the Lord accepts whomever is presented to Him. I have been present when the Lord has made it clear that someone specific should be called. I have been present when the Lord has clearly said no. I have personally been in the position where the Lord made clear to me whom I should call. But for the most part, the Lord lets His priesthood leaders select who they want for various callings, and lets the membership decide whether to accept them or not.

I think from the Lords perspective it really isn't that important. If someone is willing to devote themselves to the Lord and to serving, for the most part they are acceptable to Him.

My guess here is that he is being released for publicity reasons. This is a civil suit. He is not accused of doing anything illegal and there is no indication as I can see that he is heading for church discipline.
Excellent response! My first thought was this was a publicity problem. Yes, they are acceptable if willing to sincerely serve, and He qualifies them. The Church is under scrutiny, I feel bad when something like this happens, for everyone involved.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

My first thought on this was that Brother Jesson was released for publicity reasons. Recall the termination of Professor Steven Jones as Physics Professor at BYU for his exposure of facts showing that 9-11 was very different from the FedGov and MSM explanations of what happened.

LatterDayLizard
captain of 100

Post by LatterDayLizard »

lundbaek wrote: August 8th, 2017, 5:45 pm I cannot help but think that when a man has to be released one week after being installed as a bishop, something went wrong in the process of his being called to begin with. Ii ask myself why would the Lord allow a man to be called to a position only to be released in such a short time. It is my understanding that call to such positions are inspired. I must admit to having had doubts on other occasions as well.
Instead of asking yourself why the Lord would allow it, I'd recommend asking the Lord. In this case the answer would likely be "Be still and know that I am God". In any case, no one here is going to have the answer because we weren't directly involved.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Serragon wrote: August 8th, 2017, 11:04 pm From my experience..

His one week as bishop was back in 2012. While related to his work, it doesn't coincide with what is happening now.

"On October 15, 2012, Jessen was sustained as bishop of the Spokane 6th Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.[8] He resigned as bishop one week later.[9]"

Wikipedia Bruce Jesson

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

To read up on past discussion, here are some older threads, one going 9 years back:

Did Two Mormons Develop Bush's Torture Practices?
https://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtop ... 437#p33437

Any opinions on this?
https://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtop ... 76#p325076

US torture doctors could face charges after report alleges post-9/11 'collusion'
https://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtop ... 08#p624008

Civil Suit Against CIA Torture Consultants Proceeds
https://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtop ... 63#p704863

NEW LAWSUIT AGAINST MORMON PSYCHOLOGIST INVOLVED IN C.I.A. TORTURE
https://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtop ... 28#p754028

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

SALIM V. MITCHELL – LAWSUIT AGAINST PSYCHOLOGISTS BEHIND CIA TORTURE PROGRAM

The ACLU filed a lawsuit against James Elmer Mitchell and John “Bruce” Jessen, two psychologists contracted by the CIA to design, implement, and oversee the agency’s post-9/11 torture program. The suit, filed in October 2015 in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington, was on behalf of three of the program’s victims. All three were kidnapped by the CIA, and tortured and experimented upon according to Mitchell and Jessen’s protocols. One of the men died as a result of his torture. The other two continue to suffer the effects of the physical and psychological torture inflicted on them. In August 2017, after the judge rejected attempts to dismiss the case and a trial was imminent, the psychologists agreed to a settlement — a first for a case involving CIA torture.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Read More: OUT OF THE DARKNESS How two psychologists teamed up with the CIA to devise a torture program and experiment on human beings.