Dangers Of Yellowstone Volcano, Largest Artificial Lake In US, Lake Fort Peck

Discuss political news items / current events.
DanMullenite
captain of 100

Dangers Of Yellowstone Volcano, Largest Artificial Lake In US, Lake Fort Peck

Post by DanMullenite »

6 feet of water from the earthen dam at Lake Fort Peck would cover all of Yellowstone when it fails.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Dangers Of Yellowstone Volcano, Largest Artificial Lake In US, Lake Fort Peck

Post by gkearney »

The failure of the Fort Peck Dam would not flood the Yellowstone caldera. The Yellowstone caldera is on the western side of the continental divide and the Fort Peck lake is on the eastern side. If the Fort Peck Dam were to fail the water would flow down the Missouri River and eventually into the Atlantic Ocean.

Further the elevation of the Fort Peck dam is at 2,250 feet above sea level. The elevation of Lake Yellowstone, lowest point in the caldera is 7,732 feet above sea level. She would have us believe that water is going to flow up hill, over several very tall mountain ranges to flood Yellowstone. Please someone needs to explain gravity to this woman. Water does not flow up hill.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Re: Dangers Of Yellowstone Volcano, Largest Artificial Lake In US, Lake Fort Peck

Post by SmallFarm »

gkearney wrote: July 25th, 2017, 9:04 am The failure of the Fort Peck Dam would not flood the Yellowstone caldera. The Yellowstone caldera is on the western side of the continental divide and the Fort Peck lake is on the eastern side. If the Fort Peck Dam were to fail the water would flow down the Missouri River and eventually into the Atlantic Ocean.

Further the elevation of the Fort Peck dam is at 2,250 feet above sea level. The elevation of Lake Yellowstone, lowest point in the caldera is 7,732 feet above sea level. She would have us believe that water is going to flow up hill, over several very tall mountain ranges to flood Yellowstone. Please someone needs to explain gravity to this woman. Water does not flow up hill.
I'm not arguing the point about the lake flowing into the caldera, but how is the caldera on the western side of the continental divide? Yellowstone Lake flows into Yellowstone River Which flows into the Missouri, which flows into the Mississippi. I thought the definition of the continental divide was which way water flowed from it (which also seems evident in your reply), if water flows towards the East wouldn't that put it on the eastern side of the divide?

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

SmallFarm wrote: July 25th, 2017, 10:11 am
gkearney wrote: July 25th, 2017, 9:04 am The failure of the Fort Peck Dam would not flood the Yellowstone caldera. The Yellowstone caldera is on the western side of the continental divide and the Fort Peck lake is on the eastern side. If the Fort Peck Dam were to fail the water would flow down the Missouri River and eventually into the Atlantic Ocean.

I'm not arguing the point about the lake flowing into the caldera, but how is the caldera on the western side of the continental divide? Yellowstone Lake flows into Yellowstone River Which flows into the Missouri, which flows into the Mississippi. I thought the definition of the continental divide was which way water flowed from it (which also seems evident in your reply), if water flows towards the East wouldn't that put it on the eastern side of the divide?

I stand corrected. However she is still suggesting that water will flow uphill

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

gkearney wrote: July 25th, 2017, 10:55 am
SmallFarm wrote: July 25th, 2017, 10:11 am

I stand corrected. However she is still suggesting that water will flow uphill
Yeah I was beginning to question my own understanding of it. I just looked up the Fort Peck Dam though, nowhere near Yellowstone :p

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

Well, if Ft Peck Dam fails, then the Garrison Dam will fail. We are at an altitude of 1675 feet with a few hills at approximately 1800 feet just 3 miles east of the Missouri River. Not sure we would make it unless the water spreads over the Ft Berthold Reservation above the Garrison Dam and then around Bismarck, ND - 60 miles north of us - onto the Missouri River Couteau when that one fails.

I guess that would 'take out' the entire Bakken Oil Field and flush all the fracking debris & chemicals downstream along with the water.

The snowmelt Flood of 2011 was so powerful holes up to 200 feet deeper than the normal riverbed of 75-100 deep were scoured out by the Missouri River near Bismarck. I think the Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL) - now pumping 550,000 barrels of crude oil daily beneath the Missouri just a few miles north of our water intake - would likely fail, too. DAPL also crosses the Mississippi River just south of Nauvoo, but would have already burst upstream on the Missouri so St Louis would get the brunt of all that accumulated mess in the combined waters of the Missouri & the Mississippi Rivers on their rush to New Orleans!

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/storytel ... /434663309

Here's a blow-by-blow of the domino effect as dams fail.
http://www.futuristspeaker.com/future-s ... -incident/

In just a day and a half a massive trail of destruction over three thousand miles long has been ripped through the center of the United States. The country has literally been cut in half with no ground transportation between the two halves. Nearly 15 million people are now homeless and 250,000 people are missing and presumed dead. Major power plants have been destroyed, and restoring power to the whole country will be a long time in coming.

With this single act of destruction, nearly every person on the face of the earth is somehow affected. Five federal reserve banks have been destroyed. Thousands of major companies have been destroyed. The stock market, domestic and international, is thrown into total turmoil. Most insurance companies simply fold up because the losses are too great. Food supply systems, water supply systems, sewer systems, and many other things we take for granted now take years to repair.

Golly...all you need on top of that scenario would be a New Madrid Fault event!

DanMullenite
captain of 100

Post by DanMullenite »

Fort Peck Dam In Montana, Worst Disaster Than 9/11 Waiting To Happen
The Fort Peck Dam is built with a flawed design that has suffered a well-known fate for this type of dam — liquefaction — in which saturated soil loses its stability. Hydraulic-fill dams are prone to almost instant collapse from stress or earthquakes. California required all hydraulic-fill dams be torn out or rebuilt — and no other large dams have been built this way since.