Deseret News calls for Trump to resign his candidacy

Discuss political news items / current events.
gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Deseret News calls for Trump to resign his candidacy

Post by gkearney »

From Saturday's Deseret News:

In our opinion: Donald Trump should resign his candidacy

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... idacy.html

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Deseret News calls for Trump to resign his candidacy

Post by Silver »

For all the supporters who continue to stand by Trump, there is a perfect message on Youtube, with notable hair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwBirf4BWew" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PressingForward
captain of 100

Post by PressingForward »

Go Trump!

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

I find it interesting that there are many in both camps that don't like the candidates from their own party. Have we sunk so low that we can't find anyone worthy to vote for in either party? Yes we have!

Vote Jesus
Jesus 2016

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

This is unprecedented. And really good news.

No believing LDS can defend what Donald Trump did with a straight face. This is King Noah and Ahab combined.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

So what's the crime here?

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

The media has sat on this sound clip until now...just before the 2nd debate where Trump will have to answer for 10 year old crimes. I'm not defending him and have been against him since the beginning. However we already knew he was a misogynist and an adulterer so why all the feigned outrage and calls to resign now? Especially when Trump's slime is incomparable to Hillary Clinton's evil. She is for partial birth abortion up until the last second before a baby is born...she stood idly by at the Benghazi slaughter and lied about it...she bullied Bills victims and covered up his crimes....she has been paid millions by foreign interests....but oh my goodness Trump is a misogynist pig. Gasp!

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Why Does This Happen on My Vacation? (The Trump Tapes)
http://blog.dilbert.com/post/1515049936 ... -the-trump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By now you know about the Access Hollywood recording in which Donald Trump said bad things eleven years ago. Many of my readers asked me to weigh in. One of the requests came from anti-Trump GOP elite person Erick Erickson. (Middle name Erick, I assume.) This was his polite request and my response. Read it from bottom to top.
tumblr_inline_oeprdmLT3d1t63ajm_500.png
tumblr_inline_oeprdmLT3d1t63ajm_500.png (47.58 KiB) Viewed 2106 times
Challenge accepted!

I’ll give you my thoughts, in no particular order.

1. If this were anyone else, the election would be over. But keep in mind that Trump doesn’t need to outrun the bear. He only needs to outrun his camping buddy. There is still plenty of time for him to dismantle Clinton. If you think things are interesting now, just wait. There is lots more entertainment coming.

2. This was not a Trump leak. No one would invite this sort of problem into a marriage.

3. I assume that publication of this recording was okayed by the Clinton campaign. And if not, the public will assume so anyway. That opens the door for Trump to attack in a proportionate way. No more mister-nice-guy. Gloves are off. Nothing is out of bounds. It is fair to assume that Bill and Hillary are about to experience the worst weeks of their lives.

4. If nothing new happens between now and election day, Clinton wins. The odds of nothing new happening in that timeframe is exactly zero.

5. I assume that 75% of male heads of state, including our own past presidents, are total dogs in their private lives. Like it or not, Trump is normal in that world.

6. As fictional mob boss Tony Soprano once said in an argument with his wife, “You knew what you were getting when you married me!” Likewise, Trump’s third wife, Melania, knew what she was getting. It would be naive to assume Trump violated their understanding.

7. Another rich, famous, tall, handsome married guy once told me that he can literally make-out and get handsy with any woman he wants, whether she is married or not, and she will be happy about it. I doubted his ridiculous claims until I witnessed it three separate times. So don’t assume the women were unwilling. (Has anyone come forward to complain about Trump?)

8. If the LGBTQ community wants to be a bit more inclusive, I don’t see why “polyamorous alpha male serial kisser” can’t be on the list. If you want to label Trump’s sexual behavior “abnormal” you’re on shaky ground.

9. Most men don’t talk like Trump. Most women don’t either. But based on my experience, I’m guessing a solid 20% of both genders say and do shockingly offensive things in private. Keep in mind that Billy Bush wasn’t shocked by it.

10. Most male Hollywood actors support Clinton. Those acting skills will come in handy because starting today they have to play the roles of people who do not talk and act exactly like Trump in private.

11. I’m adding context to the discussion, not condoning it. Trump is on his own to explain his behavior.

12. Clinton supporters hated Trump before this latest outrage. Trump supporters already assumed he was like this. Independents probably assumed it too. Before you make assumptions about how this changes the election, see if anyone you know changes their vote because of it. All I have seen so far is people laughing about it.

12. I hereby change my endorsement from Trump to Gary Johnson, just to get out of the blast zone. Others will be “parking” their vote with Johnson the same way. The “shy Trump supporter” demographic just tripled.

13. My prediction of a 98% chance of Trump winning stays the same. Clinton just took the fight to Trump’s home field. None of this was a case of clever strategy or persuasion on Trump’s part. But if the new battleground is spousal fidelity, you have to like Trump’s chances.

14. Trump wasn’t running for Pope. He never claimed moral authority. His proposition has been that he’s an @sshole (essentially), but we need an @sshole to fight ISIS, ignore lobbyists, and beat up Congress. Does it change anything to have confirmation that he is exactly what you thought he was?

My thoughts above have more to do with reason than persuasion. And that means you can ignore all of it because reason is not part of decision-making when it comes to politics. On the persuasion level, all that matters is whether this new development changes what you already assumed about Trump.

Personally, it didn’t change what I assumed about Trump’s personal life. Your mileage may vary.

I hope this answers all of Erick Erick Erickson’s questions.
tumblr_inline_oepvgxTrxs1t63ajm_500.png
tumblr_inline_oepvgxTrxs1t63ajm_500.png (38.18 KiB) Viewed 2106 times

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

How is this any worse than what Bill Clinton did in office with Monica? We all knew Trump was immoral, he's admitted it honestly many times. I remember watching Celebrity Apprentice and he specifically said if he had one weakness, it is women. Hillary will ruin the United States with her liberal agenda. You think the last 8 years of Obama was bad, wait till she's elected.

The Deseret News should not have published an article like that at all. Stay neutral at all time when it comes to politics. This will come back to bite the church in the not too distant future. This article basically means Trump just lost the state of Utah.

Did the Deseret News call for Bill Clinton to be impeached with his immoral issues in the White House?

I really don't understand the American fascination with sexual immorality. What Hillary Clinton has done or is planning to do is far more evil than that and affects a lot more people. Her whole email server scandal to start proves she doesn't understand protecting the United States or that she has the technical knowledge to make decisions as president.

So Americans, you either vote Trump in as president, or you vote in Bill again as First Lady (person), to a place where it's already been proven he's lied to the American people and been immoral also. Wouldn't be at least better to give someone else a chance? If I were Trump in the next debate, I'd just bring up the whole Monica in the White House scandal as his response to any question about his infidelity.
Editor's note: The Deseret News, although owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is not an official publication of the church. Editorial opinions reflect the views of the Deseret News.
I'm sorry but if any of the First Presidency or Quorum of the 12 didn't want this editorial posted they would have said not to publish it. I'm sure the editor at least told them that they were going to post something like this especially after not doing so for 80 years.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

gkearney wrote:From Saturday's Deseret News:

Hit the Deseret News where it hurts - cancel your subscriptions.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

samizdat wrote:This is unprecedented. And really good news.

No believing LDS can defend what Donald Trump did with a straight face. This is King Noah and Ahab combined.
Yeah, let's replace him with a Church favorite son?

As for King Noah, yeah, what Trump said is far worse than anything that guy did. In fact, his comments make whatever Hitler or Stalin did pale in comparison. =))

Oh, one other thing oh exalted journalists at Deseret News:

mhewett
captain of 100

Post by mhewett »

samizdat wrote:This is unprecedented. And really good news.

I don't think any believing LDS is defending what he did which is normal for a lot of the population and really, quite tame considering what people watch everyday on tv.

The question realy is, in Hillarys words, what difference at this point does it make? :)

I would submit it makes no difference although I did read one report that said he gained some support.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Opinions are like orifices...everybody's got some.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Kick both Hillary and Trump out of the race and vote for Joe Palooka. :ymparty:

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Fiannan wrote:

Hit the Deseret News where it hurts - cancel your subscriptions.
I've come to regard the Deseret News in its capacity to inform people on national/international events and situations, as a complete rag. All they do is parrot the line and opinions coming from AP, NY Times, Washington Post, etc. No independent thought and analysis coming from the Deseret News. No balanced coverage coming from the Deseret News. No coverage of the other side of a story, except in derogation.

Here is how one of their chief editors, Doug Wilks, brags how Deseret News editors ask themselves the all important question: “And most importantly, by covering the person, the issue or the event, are we helping readers become well-informed so they can make the decisions they need to navigate their lives?”

What a JOKE! Especially regarding their coverage of Donald Trump. They produced NOTHING of themselves that would allow me to become well-informed about Trump.

I've read the Deseret News Trump coverage religiously for the last 10 months and I don't recall one article that told me anything substantive about Trump's real positions on anything . . . . though they broke this trend by printing a single Trump OpEd piece where they allowed Trump space to tell us his positions on issues that SHOULD be very important to Utah voters; two of these positions were his pro-life stance on abortion and his intent to remove the Johnson Amendment to the 501.C.3 regulations, which LDS Utahns, who are so concerned with religious liberty and are anti-abortion, should be jumping for joy about.

I would say every single Trump-related article I read simply picked up on the personal attacks and the spun/misconstrued allegations against Trump that have been rampant in the aforementioned 'news' sources from the git-go.

The Deseret News is a joke when it comes to political, national/international coverage.

However, I DO enjoy the Mormon Times, which is a section of the Deseret News coming out every Thursday. This section is at least a step in the right direction in redeeming the Deseret News from its sad, sorry condition.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

larsenb, Have you contacted LDS Public Affairs regarding your concerns?

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Elizabeth wrote:larsenb, Have you contacted LDS Public Affairs regarding your concerns?
I've emailed several editors and writers of the Deseret News repeatedly and have had some feedback. I've also had my comments rejected in their online forum with no explanation as to why, forthcoming.

They have never accepted my 'letters to the editor . . . . actually, maybe once, many years ago.

I would be leery about doing anything like contacting LDS Public Affairs, probably because it would be a waste of time, and because of the possibility that it would confirm to me that they are on board with the Deseret News editorial world-view. Heaven forbid.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Believe me, it would not be a waste of time larsenb. I have personal experience with LDS Public Affairs and many positive results from following up on LDS members concerns.

Christian
captain of 10

Post by Christian »

you shouldnt' believe the television..or the internet.. or even me or sometimes yourself.. best to forgive.. "Chiefly to those who despise government, brute beasts they are and corrupted for all the governments are ordained of God.."

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Anybody think they're going to now call for Hillary to step down, in light of the news that she's a rape enabler? Not that that's new information, it's been out there since the 90's.

Liberals, please spare us your faux outrage over Trump, while you vote for federalized rape culture in November.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

I would point out however that unlike other newspapers the editorial board of the Deseret News is under the control of the First Presidency of the Church and so their musings, no matter if you agree with them or not, carry a particular weight in this audience not found in other publications.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

gkearney wrote:I would point out however that unlike other newspapers the editorial board of the Deseret News is under the control of the First Presidency of the Church and so their musings, no matter if you agree with them or not, carry a particular weight in this audience not found in other publications.
If true, very dismaying indeed.

One has to wonder, though, how much actual control is exerted over the Deseret News Editorial Board, by the FIrst Presidency.

Any documentation for your assertion about this control??

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Elizabeth wrote:Believe me, it would not be a waste of time larsenb. I have personal experience with LDS Public Affairs and many positive results from following up on LDS members concerns.
Do you have any contact information for them?

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

larsenb wrote:
gkearney wrote:I would point out however that unlike other newspapers the editorial board of the Deseret News is under the control of the First Presidency of the Church and so their musings, no matter if you agree with them or not, carry a particular weight in this audience not found in other publications.
If true, very dismaying indeed.

One has to wonder, though, how much actual control is exerted over the Deseret News Editorial Board, by the FIrst Presidency.

Any documentation for your assertion about this control??

There is an old joke in the newspaper business that the power of the press belongs to those who own one. I worked in this industry for much of my adult life. The editorial board of the Deseret News, and every other newspaper, serves at the will and pleasure of the owners of the newspaper. In the case of the Deseret News the owner is the Church and that fact has never been in dispute. Therefor the editorial control over the paper ultimately lies in the hands of the First Presidency and more particular, given that the church is a corporate sole, President Monson.

Just how much control the church leadership chooses to extend over editorial or business side of the Deseret News I do not know but in the end it does not matter. The church is the owner and it is to them that the editorial board must untimely answer. The Deseret News is by nature a cautious newspaper when it comes to editorial matters and seldom, if ever, go out on a limb like this.

The fact that the Deseret News is owned by the church, a fact everyone knows and which never been in question means that its editorial voice carries within the wider community of Latter-days Saints a voice greater than other publications. Added to this is the fact that unlike the Salt Lake Tribune the Deseret News has a rather extensive national circulation. Its circulation has grown while that of the rival Salt Lake Tribune has fallen in the last few years. This growth, which is very rare in modern newspaper publishing can, I think, be traced directly to the expanding national circulation of the paper.

GeeR
captain of 1,000

Post by GeeR »

The tares within have hijacked the Church, Public Affairs Dept. and the church owned Deseret News! "Follow the Prophet"--"What luck," says Satan "control the voice of one man or as few as 12, and you can control 15 million people." Do the math! It seems obvious to me the tares within the church are part of the secret combination who have "gotten above us" (Either 8:23) meaning they infiltrated both the U.S. Government and the Mormon Church to the point that they control "the sole management of the government" and "choke the wheat" (D&C 86:1-7) i.e. silence the "watchmen" of Zion concerning the Islamization of the United States of America. Not only do they "choke the wheat" so that when the brethren speak they omit warning (sounding the alarm) of danger (Islamization of America=our demise in steps) but the grip around their throats are loosened enough for them to parrot the threats and agenda of the tares under threat of duress, viz. homosexuals allowed in Boy Scouts, homosexuals can now attend B.Y.U., "Same sex attraction is not a sin", the church endorses the Utah Compact, the anti-discrimination law in Utah against free-agency, the skin of blackness is not a curse, now members can partake of the "evil gift" (Moro 10:30)--Socialism, Syrian refugees are not invaders and immigration not an invasion, we should bomb Iraq, we must love and have compassion for our brother when he is hell-bent on killing you and your family, Islam is a religion of peace when in fact 60% of the Quran is a command for Muslins to kill all Jews and Christians, Trump should step-down. Etc.