Sheriff Joe Arpaio Has Now Been Held In Criminal Contempt

Discuss political news items / current events.
Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Sheriff Joe Arpaio Has Now Been Held In Criminal Contempt

Post by Joel »

Judge recommends criminal prosecution of Arpaio in racial profiling case

PHOENIX (KPHO/KTVK) -
A federal judge on Friday issued a decision recommending criminal prosecution of Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio for contempt of court in a racial profiling case.

Arpaio and his second-in-command were found in civil contempt two months ago for intentionally ignoring an order to stop their immigration patrols. They now face the possibility of a criminal contempt case that could result in fines or jail time.

Arpaio and Jerry Sheridan were previously found to have made several intentional misstatements of facts last year during their contempt hearings.

The two deliberately misstated facts when denying that the agency had conducted an investigation of the judge, U.S. District Judge Murray Snow found.

With Snow's recommendation of a criminal contempt case, it will be up to federal prosecutors to decide whether to bring the complaint to court. If the prosecutors decline, the judge still has the option of hiring a private attorney to press the case.

"The judge makes a formal referral to the U.S. Attorney's Office," Paul Charlton, a former U.S. Attorney for Arizona explained. "The U.S. Attorney's Office then has the option of agreeing to go forward with the prosecution or declining to go forward with the prosecution. If they decline to go forward with the prosecution, the judge then has the option to select a lawyer in the community who will essentially act as a special prosecutor. And he or she will then step in the place of the U.S. Attorney and prosecute the case."

It's unclear whether a criminal finding would prevent Arpaio, who is seeking a seventh term this year, from serving as sheriff. A felony contempt conviction would force him from office, but the judge has the option of recommending the case as a misdemeanor crime instead of a felony.

The quality of internal investigations emerged after traffic-stop videos withheld at the profiling trial were later discovered at the home of an officer who had been arrested on suspicion of theft.

"The prosecution's office -- the U.S. Attorney's Office in this instance -- will its own obligation, really an ethical obligation, to make sure that they are comfortable with going forward with this case -- that there is probable cause and a reasonable likelihood of success in this prosecution," Charlton said. "While the judge has made his findings -- and made those clear -- it's going to be the U.S. Attorney's Office's obligation to make an independent determination."

In a filing in July, Arpaio attorney Mel McDonald said Arpaio regrets the mistakes that led to the civil contempt violations, has made significant strides in complying with court-ordered changes imposed on his office and cited the sheriff's lengthy law enforcement record.

"It would severely undermine these positive changes and unfairly tarnish the legacy of a public servant who has given over a half century of extraordinary service to the citizens of this country," McDonald wrote.

A criminal contempt case could bring personal financial hardship to Arpaio and managers on his staff, McDonald said.?

"I'd be hesitant to weigh in on what the U.S. Attorney would do here," Charlton said. "But I have never seen a written court order in which a judge says that the head of a law enforcement agency repeatedly made misstatements -- intentional misstatements -- that he willfully ignored the court's orders and he is now subject to prosecution by the U.S. Attorney's Office. That doesn't happen."

"I suppose the only good news is that it rarely happens in this country," he continued. "But that doesn't excuse it's happening here ... very much like Third World countries when we hear this kind of conduct taking place by the head of law enforcement agencies."

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

lundbaek wrote:Sheriff Arpaio is detested by many Mormons who believe that latino illegal immigrants should be permitted to remain in the U.S.A. in spite of the laws pertaining to immigration which they are in violation of. I appreciate Arpaio's efforts to rid the country of illegal immigrants and I would prefer that Judge Snow be replaced by an non-Mormon judge.
When are Mormons going top wake up and smell the roses...in this case the sewage? Sheriff Joe is a Constitutional sheriff and Mormon's could care less as long as they can be in their own little cliques and sing Ring Around The Rosies. America is going to hell in a handbasket and prophets have plead with the members to get above the awful situation we're in. Now we're headed for the awful consequences. Sad. :( :( :(

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

[quote="Joel"][/quote]
He who is without sin cast ye the first stone.
Last edited by freedomforall on August 21st, 2016, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

[quote="Joel"][/quote]

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Joel wrote:[

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

[quote="Joel"][/quote]
So how is it that Hillary got away with felony? Huh? Federal Judges, my butt.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Against all warnings from prophets, evil secret combinations are above us. Way to go Aints!
This includes corrupt judges, corrupt FBI, corrupt BLM, Money grabbing IRS or any other organization that looks upon freedom and liberty with scorn, and willing to sweep our rights and freedoms under a bus and for us to become slaves to tyranny.

Presidents Benson and McKay warned us, folks. Did we heed those warnings and counsel?

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-arizo ... SKCN11202F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Omar was a Sharif.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Just send Joe to go before the FBI Director, James Comey, and Joe should be able to go free. I mean, didn't Hillary set a precedence?

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

freedomforall wrote:Omar was a Sharif.
Sharif don't like it.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

skmo wrote:
freedomforall wrote:Omar was a Sharif.
Sharif don't like it.
I thought so because here is his birth name: Michel Dimitri Chalhoub, born in Egypt, later became an actor...for those who have never heard of him.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

On my early voting ballot I aagain voted for Sheriff Arpaio to continue as sheriff of Maricopa County mainly because of his constant efforts to support laws concerning and related to illegal immigration. For more years than I can remember Sheriff Arpaio has been under attack by people who oppose his efforts to apprehend illegal immigrants, by people who are far more boisterous and active than those who appreciate his efforts to apprehend illegal immigrants. He has demonstrated far more patience than I would have under similar opposition. He could have retired years ago.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

lundbaek wrote:On my early voting ballot I aagain voted for Sheriff Arpaio to continue as sheriff of Maricopa County mainly because of his constant efforts to support laws concerning and related to illegal immigration. For more years than I can remember Sheriff Arpaio has been under attack by people who oppose his efforts to apprehend illegal immigrants, by people who are far more boisterous and active than those who appreciate his efforts to apprehend illegal immigrants. He has demonstrated far more patience than I would have under similar opposition. He could have retired years ago.
When he does leave office, is there anyone that will carry on in his footsteps?

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I am not familiar with any of Sheroff Arpaio's challengers. I would support former President of the Arizona State Senate and former LEO Russell Pearce as his successor. But for now, I think Sheriff Arpaio has a pretty good chance at re-election, and a Russell Pearce would be a "spoiler" if he were to run for sheriff now.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Saban is trying again

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »