Sheriff Joe Arpaio Has Now Been Held In Criminal Contempt

Discuss political news items / current events.
lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Sheriff Joe Arpaio Has Now Been Held In Criminal Contempt

Post by lundbaek »

Sheriff Arpaio is, IMO, certainly being railroaded. That sort of thing has happened before in Arizona, most notably to Governor Meacham and State Senator Russell Pearce.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

The Mexicans, legal and otherwise, in the Phoenix area are fast becoming the majority down there. Many of them have hated Arpaio for years because when he busts them for DUI's, he throws away the key, so to speak, and sends many of them straight to tent city, which is considered by its residents to be the closest thing to hell on earth you are going to get. Imagine living in a tent outdoors for up to a year, without heat or air conditioning. Phoenix gets up to 120 in the summer and down to 32 in the winter.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Sheriff Arpaio has for years been fighting a losing battle to disuade people from entering and remaining in this country illegally. A great many Arizonans favour open borders and amnesty for various reasons, and support any and all efforts to allow them to stay here. They have been trying to remove Arpaio from office for over 20 years.

I live in Maricopa County and seem to remember that the "tent city" was established because Maricopa County could not or would not spend the money to build more comfortable accommodations for law breakers.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

lundbaek wrote:Sheriff Arpaio has for years been fighting a losing battle to disuade people from entering and remaining in this country illegally. A great many Arizonans favour open borders and amnesty for various reasons, and support any and all efforts to allow them to stay here. They have been trying to remove Arpaio from office for over 20 years.

I live in Maricopa County and seem to remember that the "tent city" was established because Maricopa County could not or would not spend the money to build more comfortable accommodations for law breakers.
AZ is on the list for rigged voting machines owned by George Soros. This ought to raise some eyebrows and a sense of aggravation. AZ, along with Oregon and 14 others are on a list. Will Joe investigate this and call for defensive action?

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Today I read a report that illegal aliens are going door-to-door campaigning against Sheriff Arpaio's re-election.

http://www.wnd.com/2016/10/illegal-alie ... at_orig=us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Committee of 300 Member George Soros Fighting Sheriff Joe Arpaio
Sheriff Arpaio: I’m not going to surrender to the feds

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Arpaio's legal battle could disappear thanks to Trump

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio will be out of a job in January.

His pal, President-elect Donald Trump, could help him out.

But not with a job.

The sheriff needs Trump to make his legal problems go away. Fast.

There's a lot of chatter that immigration hard-liner Arpaio will be the next Homeland Security secretary. Hillary Clinton frightened her supporters in Arizona last week with that prospect.

It's not going to happen. The 84-year-old Arpaio is not leaving his home or wife of 60 years in Fountain Hills, Ariz., for a 24/7 job that's one of the toughest in Washington, D.C.

Never mind that he's not remotely qualified to run a federal agency (his management of the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office has been a well-documented disaster.)

Here's what Trump can do - and I believe will do - for one of his most passionate supporters: Drop the criminal contempt case against Arpaio.

The case was brought by prosecutors with the U.S. Justice Department, with the blessing of Attorney General Loretta Lynch, an Obama appointee.

Trump's AG appointee can simply make the case disappear, former federal prosecutors confirm.

After his crushing defeat by Democrat Paul Penzone on Tuesday, Arpaio faces the possibility of a criminal conviction as a final public humiliation.

Arpaio is footing the bill for his criminal defense (taxpayers pick up the $50-million-plus tab for his racial profiling case).

There's a status hearing in the case Thursday afternoon. Arpaio's attorneys are seeking a months-long delay for a trial that's currently scheduled for next month. The judge has said she's inclined to grant the delay.

After Trump's victory, Arpaio won't have to worry about a trial.

While we're asking, there's one other thing Arpaio really wants and it's for his wife: Tickets for two to the inauguration and Trump's Inaugural Ball in January.

Joe and Ava Arpaio have described each other as best friends and partners throughout their six-decade-long marriage and his 24 years as sheriff.

Dancing to Sinatra's "My Way" at a president's inaugural ball would be a heck of a way to celebrate.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

It should be no surprise that Sheriff Arpaio's trial has been pushed back. The people pushing for his conviction and incarceration on charges ( trumprd-up IMO ) want more time to make their case because they want desperately to send a message that any opposition to illegal immigration will result in severe retribution/reprisal. In the 29 years we have lived in Arizona I have noted these tactics used against other good elected state government officials who fought for constitutional government against groups ( that included prominent local LDS Church so-called leaders ) intend on circumventing constitutional and moral principles to achieve their goals. Evan Meacham, Russell Pearce, and Joe Arpaio I have especially high regard for.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

With Trump in the Fed driver's seat, maybe the climate will change in Arpaio's favor.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

lundbaek wrote:It should be no surprise that Sheriff Arpaio's trial has been pushed back. The people pushing for his conviction and incarceration on charges ( trumprd-up IMO ) want more time to make their case because they want desperately to send a message that any opposition to illegal immigration will result in severe retribution/reprisal. In the 29 years we have lived in Arizona I have noted these tactics used against other good elected state government officials who fought for constitutional government against groups ( that included prominent local LDS Church so-called leaders ) intend on circumventing constitutional and moral principles to achieve their goals. Evan Meacham, Russell Pearce, and Joe Arpaio I have especially high regard for.
I don't know if I am posing this the proper way, but here goes......I thought sheriffs are sovereign in that they do not have to do everything high Gov. commands of them. My point is this...if Arpaio is fighting the system, what right does government have in accusing him of anything when it comes to defending the Constitution?
What am I missing here?

Also, are members of Oathkeepers anywhere to be found in Arpaio's defense?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Is this the position Arpaio is in?
Hanging-From-A-Limb.jpg
Hanging-From-A-Limb.jpg (55.57 KiB) Viewed 2300 times

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

It is my understanding from discussion/conversation with a leader in the local Oathkeepers organization that they are not defending Sheriff Arpaio because they consider him to be "NOT a constitutionalist" and "driven by ego" which caused him to appear to many voters as a bigot, which I believe he is not. I have been aware myself that he is certainly not a strong constitutionalist, but their contention is that he is severely lacking in that way. Truth be known, his replacement, Penzone, is even further removed from constitutional principles, so that election makes things worse.

We have to realize that, as I said above, the open borders and amnesty advocates want desperately to send a message that any opposition to illegal immigration will result in severe retribution/reprisal, and they are powered up by globalists and proceeding full speed ahead and damn the Constitution and laws relating to immigration.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Former Maricopa Sheriff asking supporters to help pay for his legal defense

Post by Joel »

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Judge rejects Arpaio request for jury trial in criminal-contempt case

Post by Joel »

PHOENIX - A federal judge has rejected former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's request for a jury trial in his criminal-contempt case.

The case is now set for a bench trial before Judge Susan Bolton, scheduled to start April 25.

Arpaio's attorneys had argued for a jury trial so they could question the motives of the judge who referred the criminal-contempt charge for trial. They suggested Federal Judge Murray Snow's anger at Arpaio had led to the referral.

Arpaio is charged with intentionally ignoring Snow's orders in a long-running racial-profiling case.

U.S. Justice Department prosecutors said Arpaio wanted the political spectacle that a jury trial would bring. But the law, they said, didn't grant Arpaio a right to a jury trial.

In her one-page order, Judge Susan Bolton agreed with the prosecution, noting there is no right to a jury trial if the potential sentence is six months or less. The maximum sentence for criminal contempt is six months in prison.

Bolton also dismissed Arpaio's claims that there would be an "appearance of impropriety" in a bench trial.

"This Court does not believe there is any such appearance," Bolton said.

The 84-year-old Arpaio lost his bid for a seventh term in office last November. He was handily defeated by Democrat Paul Penzone.

Since this is a criminal case, Arpaio, not the county, has to pay for his own defense.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Where is justice in America?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Elizabeth wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 1:48 am Where is justice in America?
Judges now are under the Navy rule where the Judicial system is ruled by the law of the sea, not the Constitution of the land. Therefore, the due process of law does no longer apply. Ever notice where a Judge will exclaim, "this is my courtroom?" They make all the decisions and tell everyone what to do...or else there is hell to pay. Until we get back to the Constitution as the Supreme law of the land, from shore to shore, freedom and Judicial justice will continue to erode. Have you ever seen the 100 mile Constitution zone all around the US border?

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

I am just thankful I was born in Australia, although our best times are also behind us, we are still the best place to be in the world.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Judge rejects Arpaio request for jury trial in criminal-contempt case

Post by larsenb »

Joel wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 1:44 am

PHOENIX - A federal judge has rejected former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's request for a jury trial in his criminal-contempt case.

The case is now set for a bench trial before Judge Susan Bolton, scheduled to start April 25.

In her one-page order, Judge Susan Bolton agreed with the prosecution, noting there is no right to a jury trial if the potential sentence is six months or less. The maximum sentence for criminal contempt is six months in prison. . . . . . . .

The 84-year-old Arpaio lost his bid for a seventh term in office last November. He was handily defeated by Democrat Paul Penzone.

Since this is a criminal case, Arpaio, not the county, has to pay for his own defense.
Where on earth did they dig up the idea that he had no right to a jury trial?? It ain't in the Constitution, as far as I know.

Bravo to Arpaio for taking action that fully exposed the fraudulent Obama 'Birth Certificate' that Obama issued while in the White House. Obama is the one that should be under indictment, for that little piece of criminality alone.

Arpaio should be awarded one of our highest medals for this piece of excellent work.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Arpaio is not getting the support or appreciation that I would like to see him get. Far too many people do not realize the danger to our nation from the illegal immigration that he was trying to stop. And most Mormons are still not "awake to a sense of our awful situation". Too many think they are being charitable by allowing and welcoming illegal immigrants into this country, and do not realize they are supporting a treasonous cause. And Arpaio's successor, Sheriff Penzone, shows every indication of permissiveness toward illegal immigrants.