General Conference. April, 2014.

Discuss political news items / current events.
Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

General Conference. April, 2014.

Post by Elizabeth »

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/c ... test-plans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have issued a statement, via a letter to the group "Ordain Women",
that such demands are contrary to revealed doctrine, and asks that the group reconsider plans to protest at General Conference.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: General Conference. April, 2014.

Post by Joel »

I have wondered if I will see the role of prophetess restored in my lifetime.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Janadele1 wrote:http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/c ... test-plans

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have issued a statement, via a letter to the group "Ordain Women",
that such demands are contrary to revealed doctrine, and asks that the group reconsider plans to protest at General Conference.
Just curious as to where the revealed doctrine on this is to be found? I will admit its a practice.

Valiance
captain of 100

Post by Valiance »

It's just another way for these activist groups to get some attention and cause problems. The Lord has never said women are to hold the Priesthood... they benefit by it through worthy Priesthood holders, but it is obviously not in the program for women to hold it, otherwise, they already would. So I guess they'll join the gay rights activists and other groups protesting outside like spoiled children who aren't getting their way.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

I am also wondering where the revealed doctrine is on this issue. Perhaps, just perhaps, it is in the same place as the "revealed" doctrine that Blacks would never be allowed the PH or access to the temples until the Millennium.

Bare Record of Truth has an interesting blog that touches on the group Ordain Women, among other things.
http://barerecord.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

Puhleeese. You want a revelation from the Lord that says "Women do not hold the Priesthood"?

Save us some time. Search all your scriptures and just give me one instance where a woman was ordained to anything.

Christ surrounded himself with women. They were dear to him. We know this.

Why didn't he ordain any of them?

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

The Church is saying that they have REVEALED DOCTRINE, their words, so it is not unreasonable for us to ask where exactly that revelation is located, and exactly what it says. There are several Prophetesses in the OT. I believe they would be considered "ordained."
Also, Joseph Smith said that he wanted to make the sisters in the RS a "kingdom of priests." I don't have my Words of Joseph Smith at hand, but I can get the exact quote if you need it.

Personally, I have NO interest whatsoever in women "getting the PH." My aims are much, much, much higher than that.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

Ordain Women is just another "murmuring" group throwing a tantrum to get their own way. If this is the Lord's Church (and it is), then He makes the rules and He has decided already that women don't need the priesthood, at least right now. What on earth do these women hope to prove anyway? We have enough responsibility, as it is. What is to be gained by holding the priesthood?

karend77
captain of 1,000

Post by karend77 »

kathyn wrote:Ordain Women is just another "murmuring" group throwing a tantrum to get their own way. If this is the Lord's Church (and it is), then He makes the rules and He has decided already that women don't need the priesthood, at least right now. What on earth do these women hope to prove anyway? We have enough responsibility, as it is. What is to be gained by holding the priesthood?
Thank you Kathryn, I couldnt have said it better myself

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

ebenezerarise wrote:Puhleeese. You want a revelation from the Lord that says "Women do not hold the Priesthood"?

Save us some time. Search all your scriptures and just give me one instance where a woman was ordained to anything.

The scriptures only speek of a very select sub-group of Jews having the priesthood. A group that most of us here do not belong to. THe scriptures ssay nothing of a wide range of people we give the priesthood to today, the Chineese, native americans, aboriginial Australians and so on for example. In no case in scripture do we find any of these groups being given the priesthood yet we do so. So Having searched the scripture and finding no case where such persons were given the priesthood am I to assume they should not have been given it? It would seem so under your logic above.

We do not know if Christ ordained women or not. We have no record of him doing so, but that is not the same as say he never did so. We have no record of Christ being married yests many LDS would hold that a lack of absents of proof is not the same as proof of absents.

In the statement it said reveled, I simply ask where it is so relieved. Simply pointing to the lack of an action as revelation seems rather week to me. The scripture do not speak of any number of practices we have in teh church, Should we stop ordaining youth to the priesthood because no where in scripture does it speak of doing so?What about all those things scriptures do speak of which we do not do any longer? Should we keep slave? sell our daughters? eat kosher?

All I'm saying here is that until someone can show me a revelation we should not be claiming one. Practic of the church, yes a male priesthood is clearly that but revelation is a high standard of proof one that I do not see being meet by simply the absents of female ordination in scripture. There is lots of things we do in the church that is not found in scripture after all.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Could it be that God had intended for men and women to be married to one another, and the wife was intended to go to her husband for blessings as a way to recognize him as the household head? Do we actually think that God's wife holds the priesthood?
Why wasn't a rib taken from Eve to form Adam?
On the other hand, a woman is blessed to bring into a man/s life...children. God, in His wisdom has provided significant roles for each man and wife. Besides, there HAS TO BE OPPOSITION IN ALL THINGS. We just don't know all the reasons for it. We probably don't even take the time to search out all the opposites we encounter every day of our lives.
Even in a family where there is no Priesthood, when disaster strikes the woman generally looks to the husband for protection and comfort...and for some wives, that's if she can get him to come out from under a stairwell or some other hiding place, that is. :D

TZONE
captain of 1,000

Post by TZONE »

Lizzy60 wrote:The Church is saying that they have REVEALED DOCTRINE, their words, so it is not unreasonable for us to ask where exactly that revelation is located, and exactly what it says. There are several Prophetesses in the OT. I believe they would be considered "ordained."
Also, Joseph Smith said that he wanted to make the sisters in the RS a "kingdom of priests." I don't have my Words of Joseph Smith at hand, but I can get the exact quote if you need it.

Personally, I have NO interest whatsoever in women "getting the PH." My aims are much, much, much higher than that.
"they forgot about Dre"

Let him who has ears hear.

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

Lizzy60 wrote:Personally, I have NO interest whatsoever in women "getting the PH." My aims are much, much, much higher than that.
Now that's an interesting statement. Exactly how high can you go where the priesthood does not extend?

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

ebenezerarise wrote:Puhleeese. You want a revelation from the Lord that says "Women do not hold the Priesthood"?

I wouldn't consider silence on the subject as any kind of confirmation it wasn't done. The NT states the 12 were ordained to do certain things. I'm not sure why we can assume women weren't ordained to do other certain things. The Gospels were written by men, but Jesus was much more attentive to women, as you noted.

If Mary was Jesus' wife, what kind of priesthood did she have? Something to consider.

Steve Clark
captain of 1,000

Post by Steve Clark »

TZONE wrote:
Lizzy60 wrote:The Church is saying that they have REVEALED DOCTRINE, their words, so it is not unreasonable for us to ask where exactly that revelation is located, and exactly what it says. There are several Prophetesses in the OT. I believe they would be considered "ordained."

"they forgot about Dre"

Let him who has ears hear.
Just gave me a throw back to highschool.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8655 ... .html?pg=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SALT LAKE CITY — A small activist women's organization is detracting from thoughtful discussions about women in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a church spokeswoman said Monday in a letter to the group. The letter, signed by Jessica Moody "on behalf of the church," also says the church is unable to fulfill a request made by the "Ordain Women" group for tickets to the semiannual general priesthood meeting next month, because the meeting "is designed to strengthen men and boys as they receive specific instruction about their roles and responsibilities."

"Women in the church, by a very large majority, do not share your advocacy for priesthood ordination for women and consider that position to be extreme," the letter continues. "Declaring such an objective to be non-negotiable, as you have done, actually detracts from the helpful discussions that church leaders have held as they seek to listen to the thoughts, concerns and hopes of women inside and outside of church leadership. Ordination of women to the priesthood is a matter of doctrine that is contrary to the Lord’s revealed organization for his church."...

In October, a week after 20,000 LDS women attended the church's annual Relief Society meeting, about 150 women with the Ordain Women group gathered outside the general priesthood meeting and approached the stand-by line for men without tickets. One by one, the women approached an usher, then left when denied entry. Kelly said Monday — Ordain Women's one-year anniversary — that the group will repeat the process on April 5, despite the church's request in Monday's letter that the group reconsider those plans. "We're going to continue to ask and knock as we are told to do in Matthew 7:7 ("Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you")," Kelly said. "The only thing we're going to demonstrate is that we're ready for the blessings and responsibilities of the priesthood. We’re going to continue to gather, ask and to knock as planned.” If Ordain Women does demonstrate again, the church's letter asked the group to move its activities off of Temple Square to adjacent free-speech zones.

"Activist events like this detract from the sacred environment of Temple Square and the spirit of harmony sought at general conference," the letter says. "Please reconsider. ... As fellow Latter-day Saints and friends of the church, we invite you to help us maintain the peaceful environment of Temple Square and ask that you please follow these details in your continued planning." Kelly said the group doesn't feel like it belongs in the free-speech zones, provided by the city for protestors who demonstrate during the church's semiannual general conferences in April and October. "We feel as faithful, active Mormon women we have nothing in common with people who oppose the church and want to protest against it," she said. "The church is its members. We aren't against the church, we are the church."

The church's letter said LDS leaders are listening to women and responding. "The recent changes you have seen, most notably the lowering of the missionary age for sisters," it says, "serve as examples and were facilitated by the input of many extraordinary LDS women around the world." Other changes in the past two years include new leadership roles for sister missionaries, the inclusion of more women in congregation leadership meetings known as ward councils and prayers by women at semiannual general conference meetings.

On March 1, the New York Times described the younger mission age for women as "the biggest gender change" in the church in memory. The story says "…the standard image of a Mormon missionary, a gangly young man in a dark suit, was suddenly out of date."

Ordaining women to the priesthood, as the letter says, is contrary both to church doctrine and the view of the vast majority of Latter-day Saints, especially women.

The Pew Research Center surveyed American LDS women in 2011 and found that 90 percent opposed the ordination of women to the priesthood, a higher percentage than men in the church who felt the same way.

Ordain Women, described as "a band of Mormon feminists" by New York Times reporters Jodi Kantor and Laurie Goodstein in their recent story, drew media attention specifically because it is different from the norm, the reporters said when they appeared on a radio show on KUER last week. Goodstein characterized Ordain Women's demonstration last October as "kind of a stunt protest." She said her reporting showed church leaders were listening to women — "taking a sounding" — but said, "It's not that the church would make changes in response to a bunch of agitators who do not seem to represent the mainstream of the church."

The Times story reported that the missionary age change has tripled the number of women missionaries and described the mission leadership changes that engage many of them. Those leadership opportunities are consistent with what LDS women and girls experience elsewhere in the church, Goodstein said. "This church, more than most," she said, "already has a whole scaffolding of leadership roles for women, at every age, and in fact quite demanding leadership roles. In fact, a lot of the Mormon women I interviewed said, 'I learned leadership from the church. I learned how to speak at a young age in front of a big group of people. I learned how to organize, I learned how to take responsibility.'"

Valiance
captain of 100

Post by Valiance »

:ymapplause:

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

I didn't quite get what was going on last time. I mean, women could watch the televised version live anywhere it was broadcast. What's the difference between that and seeing it in person? I don't see the reasoning. It is illogical: "You can watch it in that building but not in this one"? Doesn't make sense to me.

In fact, a man I was talking to after the last conference laughed because he thought women were able to go inside and OW had been circumvented by that tactic. I didn't have the heart to tell him they were not allowed inside the hallowed halls of the conference center, but only inside the hallowed halls of the other public places of worship.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

They should of just quoted this scripture to them:

Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. (1 Corinthians 14:34)

Maybe that is bs ( depends on the woman, right?)

any way I think it would be cool to see women get the priesthood, to me it is just dumb traditions like the above scripture that makes the whole church a lot less edifying. I think we are missing out of so many blessings.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

Beloved wrote:They should of just quoted this scripture to them:

Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. (1 Corinthians 14:34)
:))
Well, we are a New Testament church after all, right?

shylohmw
captain of 50
Location: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also

Post by shylohmw »

Beloved wrote:They should of just quoted this scripture to them:

Maybe that is bs ( depends on the woman, right?)

any way I think it would be cool to see women get the priesthood, to me it is just dumb traditions like the above scripture that makes the whole church a lot less edifying. I think we are missing out of so many blessings.

"In [chapter 11], Paul insists that a woman ought not to 'pray and prophesy' without being veiled (1 Cor. 11:5). This proves that women did participate in Christian meetings, which is also known through the names of several faithful, participating sisters mentioned in Acts and the letters. This suggests that Paul had a particular kind of speaking in mind in the later chapter (chapter14). Some ask whether Corinthian women were interrupting meetings with questions. Or were they 'speaking out' in the sense of 'leading out,' loudly correcting the presiding elder? The Joseph Smith Translation interprets 'speak' in that official sense, saying that women were not permitted to 'lead.' That is certainly one thrust of the chapter, since men and women are both told to be silent whenever someone else is speaking (1 Cor. 14:28, 30)." (Richard Lloyd Anderson, Understanding Paul [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1983], 111 - 112.)

"The JST also clarifies this statement: 'Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak' (KJV, 1 Cor. 14:34). This statement seems odd since the Apostle Paul had already acknowledged the right of women to pray and prophesy, the latter meaning to teach under the power of the Holy Ghost (see 1 Cor. 11:5). The JST changes one word and in so doing clarifies the whole issue: 'It is not permitted unto them to rule'; rather, they are 'to be under obedience, as also saith the law [of Moses]' (JST, 1 Cor. 14:34, footnote b). From this simple change, we see that the Apostle Paul was not forbidding sisters to teach or pray, but rather correcting those who attempted to usurp priesthood authority." (Richard D. Draper, "New Light on Paul's Teachings," Ensign, Sept. 1999, 26)

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

A Random Phrase wrote:I didn't quite get what was going on last time. I mean, women could watch the televised version live anywhere it was broadcast. What's the difference between that and seeing it in person? I don't see the reasoning. It is illogical: "You can watch it in that building but not in this one"? Doesn't make sense to me.

In fact, a man I was talking to after the last conference laughed because he thought women were able to go inside and OW had been circumvented by that tactic. I didn't have the heart to tell him they were not allowed inside the hallowed halls of the conference center, but only inside the hallowed halls of the other public places of worship.
They shouldn't be in either.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

They misunderstand the true nature of priesthood. To have the fullness of the priesthood is to have the fullness of the Son and of the Father. They don't need the institution or any man to ordain them. Only the Lord ordains us to this fullness. Instead, these sisters as all others ought to seek, ask, and knock. This is and has always been the pattern.

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

Guys, women already HAVE the priesthood.

Think about it. As much priesthood power as a man has, he cannot create new life without the help of a woman.

The main difference is that the OUTWARD things concerning priesthood (yes, that includes offices, callings, ministry, etc) is held by the MEN.

The INWARD things concerning priesthood are held by the WOMEN (that would include protection of the weak, born and unborn)...

Even our organs are designed this way.

http://ldsprophetquotes.blogspot.mx/201 ... ke-on.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(My blog post concerning the matter--working on the long version now)