Pres. Monson Being Sued In UK

Discuss political news items / current events.
mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Pres. Monson Being Sued In UK

Post by mes5464 »

Here is a scan that purports to be a summons of Pres. Monson to answer accusations of fraud by him and the church. And so it begins.
monson-summons1.jpg
monson-summons1.jpg (165.22 KiB) Viewed 4936 times

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Re: Pres. Monson Being Sued In UK

Post by A Random Phrase »

I think the court will laugh at Mr. Phillips. Those things cannot really be proven or disproven in a court of law.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Still, I suppose, if a person intends to sue someone, no matter how frivolous, courts are obliged to at least hear the nonsense.

farfromhome
captain of 100

Post by farfromhome »

mes5464 wrote:Here is a scan that purports to be a summons of Pres. Monson to answer accusations of fraud by him and the church. And so it begins.
monson-summons1.jpg
Where did you come across this? SL Trib?

Matthew.B
captain of 100

Post by Matthew.B »

What are the laws regulating suing someone from another country?

I'm going to guess (ignorantly) that this isn't real. If it were, I assume there would be a whole lot more "legalese" within it dealing with the fact that President Monson lives in the United States and isn't subject to British law. Probably a joke.

But I wonder how long it would take someone to do something similar here, and how that would pan out.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

I think KtF's phrase from another thread applies here: "juvenile and immature. Grow up!"

For whatever happened to you Tom Phillips, now it seems you're just being, ahem, as your fellow countrymen say, a wanker.

Hyrcanus
captain of 100

Post by Hyrcanus »

Matthew.B wrote:What are the laws regulating suing someone from another country?

I'm going to guess (ignorantly) that this isn't real. If it were, I assume there would be a whole lot more "legalese" within it dealing with the fact that President Monson lives in the United States and isn't subject to British law. Probably a joke.

But I wonder how long it would take someone to do something similar here, and how that would pan out.
If you have access to LexisNexis you can take a look at the thousands of suits that are filed in the US against Thomas S. Monson and the church generally over a whole range of things. A similar suit here in the US was filed several years ago and was tossed out, the only ones you hear about are the ones that are looking for media attention. I'm not familiar enough with the UK's laws to say how this would work there.

RaVaN
captain of 100

Post by RaVaN »

First one to win will really be a sign of the times in my opinion though...not just with Restoration beliefs, but with Christianity in general...specifically items VI ad VII.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Hyrcanus wrote:
Matthew.B wrote:What are the laws regulating suing someone from another country?

If you have access to LexisNexis you can take a look at the thousands of suits that are filed in the US against Thomas S. Monson and the church generally over a whole range of things. A similar suit here in the US was filed several years ago and was tossed out, the only ones you hear about are the ones that are looking for media attention. I'm not familiar enough with the UK's laws to say how this would work there.

This gives me hope.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Tom Phillips has been planning something for a few months called by someone (not him) "October Surprise" in which he promised he was planning some legal action against the church. He seemed to think it was huge and would be a humongous headache to the church, possibly even destroying it. If this is the "October Surprise" it seems like "so much nonsense" to me. I thought he was going to go after hiding finances from the church members or something like that, not something like this.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

They'd have to prove TSM knew the claims were not true/were misleading. How can they prove that? Afaik he is an honest main, a tbm. I guess we'll see if it will be a circus or a joke or a what.

Hyrcanus
captain of 100

Post by Hyrcanus »

A Random Phrase wrote:

Tom Phillips has been planning something for a few months called by someone (not him) "October Surprise" in which he promised he was planning some legal action against the church. He seemed to think it was huge and would be a humongous headache to the church, possibly even destroying it. If this is the "October Surprise" it seems like "so much nonsense" to me. I thought he was going to go after hiding finances from the church members or something like that, not something like this.
I'd be surprised if Tom Phillips' "October Surprise" was something this silly. I think he has a better sense for what is likely to actually make a difference.
Beloved wrote:Here is an interesting point of view:

Solved? Why President Monson has not born testimony of the Book of Mormon since 2005.
Terrible analysis, not to mention that I'm not sure his claim about Monson's testimony (or lack thereof) is actually true. Just to nitpick one, proving whether or not Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon is going to be akin to trying to produce the pen John used to write Revelations. None of the source material is available for analysis. Then after they get finished "proving" that, they have to prove Monson knew it was a fraud. Good Luck!

None of this helps anyone.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Hyrcanus wrote:I'd be surprised if Tom Phillips' "October Surprise" was something this silly. I think he has a better sense for what is likely to actually make a difference.
That's what I thought, and why I was surprised that this (if it is the "October Surprise") was so ridiculous.

Valiance
captain of 100

Post by Valiance »

What a farce. The church has Attorneys that will laugh at this... nothing will come of it.

Provision
captain of 100

Post by Provision »

Thomas S. Monson Accused of Fraud

The Indictment

The Prophet of the LDS Church, Thomas S. Monson, has been ordered to attend the court and face charges of fraud.
A court in London has issued Thomas Spencer Monson two citations (see below). These reports contain seven offenses in contravention of Section 1 Fraud Act 2006.

Mr. Monson is commanded to attend the Westminster Magistrates Court on 14 March 2014. The court then refers the case to Southwark Crown Court for further proceedings at the highest level. If Mr. Monson fails to attend court on March 14, there may be cause for a warrant to be issued for his arrest.

The maximum penalty for the charges contained in the citation is ten years imprisonment and a fine for each offense. (Section 3 ( b ) on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or a fine (or both). )
Mr. Monson has the right to a fair trial and any comments that could prejudice the case should be avoided.

More about these claims will be published soon.
------------------------------------------

Provision
captain of 100

Post by Provision »

Summons here
http://mormonthink.com/img/monson-summons1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many forget that the church is no more than a registered corporation in legal terms.

Remember, there is a difference between making claims that are grandiose..ie god is in heaven and loves you
and making claims that can be proven false.

Clearly these people believe they have evidence to show the leaders know certain claims are false.

If Pres Monson doesn't attend, the church, a UK corporation with him as the sole director and shareholder, could be deregistered.

Plus this also is about tax evasion.

Tom Phillips was finance director in UK. Who know what he knows?

Hyrcanus
captain of 100

Post by Hyrcanus »

A Random Phrase wrote:
Hyrcanus wrote:I'd be surprised if Tom Phillips' "October Surprise" was something this silly. I think he has a better sense for what is likely to actually make a difference.
That's what I thought, and why I was surprised that this (if it is the "October Surprise") was so ridiculous.
Oh my gosh, it looks like it is connected to his "October Surprise". I must be missing something substantial about the UK's laws, this would be a complete joke in the US.

Sariel
captain of 100

Post by Sariel »

I've been waiting for the "October surprise" thinking they would reveal illegal acts made by the church. If this is all it was going to be I think I've wasted my attention.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Hyrcanus wrote:
A Random Phrase wrote:
Oh my gosh, it looks like it is connected to his "October Surprise". I must be missing something substantial about the UK's laws, this would be a complete joke in the US.

This won't be a joke in the US if our government decides they have an interest in going after churches' 501c3 tax status.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Provision wrote:Plus this also is about tax evasion.

Tom Phillips was finance director in UK. Who know what he knows?
This is more in line with what I was thinking the charges would be. Something that could seriously shut down the church, something that many may be willing to believe.

2BFree
captain of 100

Post by 2BFree »

This essay could be a whole thread topic by itself...a bit disturbing if I do say so myself

Dubs
captain of 50

Post by Dubs »

"I maintain that a strong testimony of our Savior and of His gospel will help see you through to safety. If you have not read the Book of Mormon, read it. I will not ask for a show of hands. If you do so prayerfully and with a sincere desire to know the truth, the Holy Ghost will manifest its truth to you. If it is true—and it is—then Joseph Smith was a prophet who saw God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. The Church is true. If you do not already have a testimony of these things, do that which is necessary to obtain one. It is essential for you to have your own testimony, for the testimonies of others will carry you only so far."

Priesthood Session April 2011.

He flat out says it is true...or does that not count...

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... r?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

mes5464 wrote:Here is a scan that purports to be a summons of Pres. Monson to answer accusations of fraud by him and the church. And so it begins.
monson-summons1.jpg
Heres to hoping this is either

A. A huge prank (we still have two months before April Fools.)

B. A huge farce. This is the more likely option.

Valiance
captain of 100

Post by Valiance »

Lizzy60 wrote:This won't be a joke in the US if our government decides they have an interest in going after churches' 501c3 tax status.
Very good point, but remember, the church has bent over backwards to avoid any confrontation with the feds that might jeopardize its tax-exempt status, including favors for Obama himself, such as handing him a copy of his family history as well as certain Apostles attending his inauguration, allowing Dick Cheney to come to BYU to speak in 2007, meeting with the President whenever he's in Salt Lake, etc. The church has done a pretty good job of making friends with the Gadiantons and avoiding any repercussions for any of the stands they've taken recently such as standing up for traditional marriage. But... then I think about that line in one of the church films about the life and death of Joseph Smith where Joseph says to Missouri Governor Boggs (as it appears he and the Saints are about to be hunted down and/or incarcerated when a friendly meeting was supposed to take place): "You gave us your word", to which Boggs replies "Well you, sir, were misinformed". I could easily see the feds turning the tables on the church, especially if they thought they could get their hands on 15-35% of its $30 billion in assets.