News You Can Use

Discuss political news items / current events.
mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: News You Can Use

Post by mes5464 »

Donald Trump Might Not Have Been Wrong About Sweden
President Donald Trump was the subject of mockery on Sunday after delivering a speech in Florida in which he referred to an incident “last night in Sweden” — but he appears to have been referring to an actual, accurate news report, albeit one that wasn’t technically live or breaking.

As soon as the words flew from Trump’s mouth, social media began buzzing with jokes about his “fake news” story about a migrant attack in the historic Scandinavian country. The hashtag, #lastnightinSweden cropped up, warning the world that Sweden might be plotting a takeover, with its pickled herring and its cheap do-it-yourself furniture (see our related article on IKEA Israel!).

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Right-wing fringe group building multimedia empire near Detroit
FERNDALE, Mich. — Inside a plain, two-story brick building in Ferndale hums the nerve center for a growing, religious group hoping the forces that elected President Donald Trump will tear down the wall between church and state.

Church Militant, a fringe group claiming to be Catholic but denounced by the church, broadcasts pro-life, anti-gay, anti-feminist, Islam-fearing content on its website, churchmiltant.com, and through social media using production studios that rival those at local TV news stations. It has 35 full-time employees who publish about 10 stories and three videos every weekday.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

If You Live in Oklahoma TX NY NJ FL CA Get Out NOW!

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

BREAKING: White House Told To Arrest George Soros.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

For context: http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/02/19 ... ac-invite/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

freedomforall wrote:If You Live in Oklahoma TX NY NJ FL CA Get Out NOW!

Police Use New ERAD Device to Strip Funds From Drivers' Debit Cards | Fortune.com
Police officers are using a new technology, called ERAD machines, to siphon funds directly from drivers' pre-paid cards in the course of ordinary traffic stops.
The tactic, which cops have deployed for months in states like Oklahoma, is a new twist in "civil forfeiture," a controversial legal process that lets police seize funds from motorists if they suspect money is tied to a drug crime. Critics, however, liken the practice to banditry—noting the police use forfeiture to pay themselves, and that citizens must take extraordinary legal measures to get their money back.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

mes5464 wrote:
freedomforall wrote:If You Live in Oklahoma TX NY NJ FL CA Get Out NOW!

Police Use New ERAD Device to Strip Funds From Drivers' Debit Cards | Fortune.com
Police officers are using a new technology, called ERAD machines, to siphon funds directly from drivers' pre-paid cards in the course of ordinary traffic stops.
The tactic, which cops have deployed for months in states like Oklahoma, is a new twist in "civil forfeiture," a controversial legal process that lets police seize funds from motorists if they suspect money is tied to a drug crime. Critics, however, liken the practice to banditry—noting the police use forfeiture to pay themselves, and that citizens must take extraordinary legal measures to get their money back.
1) carry plenty of monopoly money
2) use a debit card associated with an empty account
3) wrap credit cards in a plastic baggie emitting a foul aroma of Limburger or fart spray.
4) Have LegalShield, formaly a Pre-paid Legal membership. Have the ability to call an attorney on the spot.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Trump really could crush Isis. But what happens next could be worse
n ‘The caliphate will not perish’ a member of the Isis Shura Council boasts that Muslims born in the US will become an army of conquest. ‘They are getting ready for the battle in their homeland. Today the caliphate is in Iraq and Syria. Tomorrow, it will be in the White House.’ The clash of civilisations is as important an idea to the Islamic State as to the Trump administration. Such boasting is absurd, but the fall of the Isis by the hand of America will be the ‘just cause’ for a new generation of jihadis. The end of the physical territory of the caliphate will not be the end of the idea of the ‘Islamic State’. That might be just as dangerous.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

'Trump Was Right': Migrants Riot, Loot, Fight With Police And Set Cars On Fire In Sweden
While the media was busy Monday trying to dismiss Trump's claims of troubles in Sweden, riots were breaking out in the immigrant suburb of Rinkeby in Stockholm.

Sweden crisis: Police shoot rioters as violence erupts in 'no-go zone' | World | News | Express.co.uk
The terrifying scenes took place just hours after the country’s Prime Minister, Stefan Löfven, slammed Donald Trump for claiming Sweden was in crisis as a result of its liberal refugee policy.

Stockholm police were forced to fire a shot into the rampaging crowd in the hard-hit suburb of Rinkeby, after a mob of around 30 thugs started attacking the officers with rocks.
Last edited by mes5464 on February 21st, 2017, 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

College Writing Center Declares American Grammar 'Racist' | The Daily Caller
An “antiracist” poster in a college writing center insists American grammar is “racist” and an “unjust language structure,” promising to prioritize rhetoric over “grammatical ‘correctness.'”

The poster, written by the director, staff, and tutors of the University of Washington, Tacoma’s Writing Center, states “racism is the normal condition of things,” declaring that it permeates rules, systems, expectations, in courses, school and society.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Of course they do.
D&C 101:77 wrote:According to the laws and constitution of the people, which I have suffered to be established, and should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh, according to just and holy principles;

Supremes to Decide if Foreigners Have Constitutional Rights | LifeZette
The Supreme Court on Tuesday is taking up a case that presents a critical question of law: Can a U.S. law enforcement officer be sued in American courts for the death of a foreigner outside the United States?

For most of American history, the answer to that question has been a clear and emphatic “no.” Courts for two centuries have held that constitutional rights do not apply to foreigners with no voluntary connection to the United States.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Independent cinemas in the US to show 1984 as Trump protest | The Independent
Select independent cinemas in the US will be screening 1984 in protest of Donald Trump, specifically his alleged proposed cuts on cultural institutions, including the entire elimination of the National Endowment for the Arts.

The film - which stars the late John Hurt - adapts George Orwell's iconic 1949 novel, which tells the story of a dystopian world marked by perpetual war and constant surveillance, controlled by a privileged elite who seeks to persecute individualism and independent thought. A dictatorship overseen by Big Brother, bastioned by a cult of personality, though he may not even exist. 

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Fake News Site Lets Readers Pretend Hillary Won The Election | The Daily Caller
Liberals seeking refuge from reality now have a fake news website where they can pretend to live in a world where Hillary Clinton is president.

“Approval ratings for President Clinton hit 89 percent,” “Confused by fake news, Redditers think Trump is president” and “DOJ considers charging Trump with treason” are just a few headlines featured on HillaryBeatTrump.org, a satirical news site devoted to covering stories from an alternate universe where Hillary won last November’s election.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Discord in Angela Merkel's government after environment ministry bans meat at official functions 
A row has broken out in Angela Merkel’s government after the environment minister banned meat at official functions.

Barbara Hendricks claims eating meat is damaging to the environment and has ordered only vegetarian food to be served.

A rival minister has accused her of “nanny-statism” and trying to force vegetarianism on people “by the back door”.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Wiggins: WNBA's 'harmful' culture of bullying, jealousy - The San Diego Union-Tribune
“Me being heterosexual and straight, and being vocal in my identity as a straight woman was huge,” Wiggins said. “I would say 98 percent of the women in the WNBA are gay women. It was a conformist type of place. There was a whole different set of rules they (the other players) could apply.

“There was a lot of jealousy and competition, and we’re all fighting for crumbs,” Wiggins said. “The way I looked, the way I played – those things contributed to the tension.

“People were deliberately trying to hurt me all of the time. I had never been called the B-word so many times in my life than I was in my rookie season. I’d never been thrown to the ground so much. The message was: ‘We want you to know we don’t like you.’ “

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

The arrogant thinking of liberal sports writers
I run a subscription newsletter about baseball — The Slurve — that is deliberately constructed to be an escape from politics for my readers (and for me). But I'm still a conservative who does a lot of sports writing. Besides The Slurve, I've written a few sports pieces in ESPN Magazine, and occasionally inflict my wrongheaded (but interesting!) sports arguments on readers here at The Week.

Predictably (and perhaps self-interestedly), I think the increasing ideological uniformity of sports writing is bad for sports journalism and for sports themselves. And in the way that it encourages conformism and intellectual laziness, it is probably bad for causes dear to liberals in sports.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Poll: Americans overwhelmingly oppose sanctuary cities | TheHill
An overwhelming majority of Americans believe that cities that arrest illegal immigrants for crimes should be required to turn them over to federal authorities.

The poll shows that President Trump has broad public support in his effort to crack down on sanctuary cities.

A survey from Harvard–Harris Poll provided exclusively to The Hill found that 80 percent of voters say local authorities should have to comply with the law by reporting to federal agents the illegal immigrants they come into contact with.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Break Up the USA - LewRockwell
Here’s the debate we should be having instead: what if we simply abandoned this quixotic mission, and went our separate ways? It’s an idea that’s gaining traction – much too late, to be sure, but better late than never.

For a long time it seemed as if the idea of secession was unlikely to take hold in modern America. Schoolchildren, after all, are told to associate secession with slavery and treason. American journalists treat the idea as if it were self-evidently ridiculous and contemptible (an attitude they curiously do not adopt when faced with US war propaganda, I might add).

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

DHS Tried to Hack Indiana's Election System | The Daily Caller
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) officials tried to hack Indiana’s state electoral system with at least 14,800 “scans” or hits between Nov. 1, 2016, to Dec. 16, 2016, The Daily Caller News Foundation Investigative Group has learned.

The attacks are the second confirmed IT scanning assault by DHS officials against states that resisted then-President Barack Obama’s attempt to increase federal involvement in state and local election systems by designating them as “critical infrastructure” for national security.

Members of the National Association of Secretaries of State voted Saturday at their winter meeting to oppose the designation. They are asking President Donald Trump to overturn it.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

University bans dorm room whiteboards to stop hurtful words - The College Fix
Many students criticize decision as overbearing, unnecessary

Students at Michigan State University soon will not be permitted to hang whiteboards on the outside of their dorm room doors.

The new policy, effective Fall 2017, was created in an attempt to eliminate opportunities for students to write mean words and racial slurs, according to a campus official.

“Their utility as a communication tool no longer outweighed the attractive nuisance that they are,” Kat Cooper, director of university residential services communications, told The College Fix via email.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Brzezinski: ‘Our Job’ Is to Control ‘Exactly What People Think’ :: Grabien News
SCARBOROUGH: "Exactly. That is exactly what I hear. What Yamiche said is what I hear from all the Trump supporters that I talk to who were Trump voters and are still Trump supporters. They go, 'Yeah you guys are going crazy. He's doing -- what are you so surprised about? He is doing exactly what he said he is going to do.'"

BRZEZINSKI: "Well, I think that the dangerous, you know, edges here are that he is trying to undermine the media and trying to make up his own facts. And it could be that while unemployment and the economy worsens, he could have undermined the messaging so much that he can actually control exactly what people think. And that, that is our job."

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Hundreds of campuses encourage students to turn in fellow students for offensive speech | Washington Examiner
Universities are the cradle of free speech, where ideologies and ideas clash, where academics and activists can agree, disagree, or be disagreeable. This is particularly true in the United States, where the First Amendment zealously guards against government surveillance and intrusion into free speech.

Yet at hundreds of campuses across the country, administrators encourage students to report one another, or their professors, for speech protected by the First Amendment, or even mere political disagreements. The so-called "Bias Response Teams" reviewing these (often anonymous) reports typically include police officers, student conduct administrators and public relations staff who scrutinize the speech of activists and academics.

This sounds like the stuff of Orwell, although even he might have found the name "Bias Response Team" to be over-the-top.