Recent Modesty Issue That Went Viral

Discuss political news items / current events.
homincruz
Hi, I'm new.

Recent Modesty Issue That Went Viral

Post by homincruz »

http://www.fox13now.com/news/local/kstu ... 0428.story

I don't know if anyone saw this, but I thought it was pretty interesting.

Spence
captain of 1,000

Re: Recent Modesty Issue That Went Viral

Post by Spence »

Just sad. Total wimp by writing that note and walking away as quick as possible. Her dress and tights look fairly modest from that pic, and totally cute as well.

However it's not his place to tell her what is acceptable or not, especially not his place through a wimpy note.

Just another reason not to like BYU...

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Spence wrote:Just another reason not to like BYU...
Exactly! You don't see that childish crap ut USU, right Bob?

uglypitbull
captain of 1,000

Post by uglypitbull »

how many times did she say "like" in that interview? jeez!

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

That's not the same guy who in a talk a while back broke up with his girlfriend because she had two ear rings, is it? My gosh, that guy will be living with mommy when he is 40.

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

shadow wrote:
Spence wrote:Just another reason not to like BYU...
Exactly! You don't see that childish crap ut USU, right Bob?
---ut USU huh? I suppose not, the note was in print, printed with misspellings--ut-- the boy was obviously a USU student on--- sabbatical?? Training to sell insurance??

Bob

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Not a USU student, Bobby. I'm pretty sure it was one of those BYU students who's wheel-chair love-seat was banned by BYU. Now he's just bitter and wants to make life miserable for other students.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Z27aP-hz4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BYU students are so... productive i-)

WhereCanITurn4Peace
captain of 100

Post by WhereCanITurn4Peace »

Wow, I don't get how her perfectly respectable outfit wasn't modest. How does that guy get by in these hedonistic days of booty shorts, super low-cut shirts/dresses, and the like? I see worse practically every day!

Probably had some indecent thoughts and decided it was her fault...What a jerk

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

shadow wrote:Not a USU student, Bobby. I'm pretty sure it was one of those BYU students who's wheel-chair love-seat was banned by BYU. Now he's just bitter and wants to make life miserable for other students.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Z27aP-hz4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BYU students are so... productive i-)

Shadow was pulled over by the police while driving on I-15 and the cop said "Got any I.D.?" Shadow looked at him suspiciously and replied "Bout Wut?"

Bobby

lost ark
captain of 100

Post by lost ark »

I am not commenting on whether the note was appropriate/acceptable or whatever.

I am noting that when I was on BYU campus about 18 months ago, there were posters all over campus regarding the wearing of leggings and campus dress standards. In essence, the poster stated: 1. Leggings are never appropriate for Sunday meetings. 2. Leggings were acceptable IF the dress/skirt/whatever worn above extended to at least the knee.

The counsel given by the brethren is that clothing is not to be "form fitting." Leggings are very form fitting. They fit like nylons, but just happen to be opaque and don't cover the feet.

I have no idea why BYU spells out dress standards in greater detail, and I don't really care. I do know that more than half of the young women in our ward wear leggings to church, and the dresses some of them wear over the leggings are very, very short. Maybe the dress police on campus are trying to compensate for teachings parents should have given at home, but failed to do so.

Spence
captain of 1,000

Post by Spence »

Why should there even be a dress standard, isn't that the sort of thing we campaigned against in the life before this? Isn't that the same thing the Israelites were admonished in scripture for?

Fairminded
captain of 1,000

Post by Fairminded »

Spence wrote:Why should there even be a dress standard, isn't that the sort of thing we campaigned against in the life before this? Isn't that the same thing the Israelites were admonished in scripture for?
If BYU administrators were to go into people's houses and punish them for dressing outside of the dress code, that would be another thing. BYU is a private institution where students willingly attend, and part of the conditions of attending and the agreement they make when registering is that they will abide by BYU's rules and regulations.

The arguments many LDS have concerning agency and the war in heaven would be far fewer if they actually understood what agency was.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Spence wrote:Why should there even be a dress standard, isn't that the sort of thing we campaigned against in the life before this? Isn't that the same thing the Israelites were admonished in scripture for?
It's because of agency that we have rules.
But maybe it would be fine with you if Daisy Duke visited your home often, wearing her tight and short Daisy Duke shorts and a loose tank top?
Now Bob's mind is wandering again.... sorry Bob!
Last edited by shadow on February 17th, 2012, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

What is a Daisy Duke? I thought it was Daisy Duck----

Choir

serenitylala
captain of 100

Post by serenitylala »

The guy blamed her for his impure thoughts was what happened. It's similar to how the men in the middle east consider women at fault for their impure intentions.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

You folks should see what woman and girls wear, or don't as the case may be in Australia.

LukeAir2008
captain of 1,000

Post by LukeAir2008 »

=p~
Last edited by LukeAir2008 on March 8th, 2012, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrScience
captain of 100

Post by MrScience »

:ymsmug: Perhaps the note writer was one of the 3 nephites....she looked up and he was gone! :))

sadie_Mormon
captain of 1,000

Post by sadie_Mormon »

lost ark wrote:I do know that more than half of the young women in our ward wear leggings to church, and the dresses some of them wear over the leggings are very, very short. Maybe the dress police on campus are trying to compensate for teachings parents should have given at home, but failed to do so.

Our ward is the same way with the young women. Heck even some of the grown women who are mothers dress a bit over the top in church. The leggings make them feel like they can go over the knee. They may be seeing it as if they are actually pants. Leggings to me are tights.. same thing.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Okay, which is most obscene to have a BYU...this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mxlWPSk7tL4/T ... 10+004.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this?

http://impeachforpeace.org/impeach_bush ... cheney.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sadie_Mormon
captain of 1,000

Post by sadie_Mormon »

serenitylala wrote:The guy blamed her for his impure thoughts was what happened. It's similar to how the men in the middle east consider women at fault for their impure intentions.

This is going to sound completely backwards to most of you, but since my entire family is from the middle-east I know from experience this thinking described above. The men in this culture appreciate modestly when it comes to their wives, daughters, sisters, mothers, etc because they want them to be looked at with respect and not gawked at by men. It is not that they don't want their wife/girlfriend to look beautiful - of course they do - but they don't want them to look too sexy. Sexy is for the husband not for his friends or other men.

If a wife/girlfriend has something on that the husband/boyfriend found much to sexy he would - in a very nice yet direct way - ask her to change.

Most women aren't going to like what I am about to say but what the heck. Women dress sexy not because they want to look nice, but because they want to get attention. Not all women of course, but when a woman struts her stuff in public she is doing it because she seeks to attract attention from the opposite sex. So when one says "the guy blames her for his impure thoughts..." well ummm that very well could be.

Now when it comes to a single woman in a university for which the young are expected to keep pure thoughts. Phew that's a tough situation. Hormones all over the place… I remember those days and it was very hard and I’m a woman! I can’t imagine if I was a young man it must be sheer torture. I don’t think what she was wearing was bad but let’s face it leggings are tights that follow the curves of her body. Doesn't leave much to the imagination of a hormoned crazed young man.

She could very well be dressing to impress some guy at BYU who will soon me a RM and will be eager to marry her upon his return ;)

sadie_Mormon
captain of 1,000

Post by sadie_Mormon »

Fiannan wrote:Okay, which is most obscene to have a BYU...this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mxlWPSk7tL4/T ... 10+004.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this?

http://impeachforpeace.org/impeach_bush ... cheney.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ha ha ha ha! =))

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

or this?

:)) =)) =))

Personally, I think we should all go naked for a generation or two. That ought to take care of immodest thoughts and issues. (I mean, how many people get in an uproar over seeing a wrist or an ankle nowadays? And that is immodest, I tell you, immodest!! - if you lived 120 years ago in the United States.)

Juliette
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliette »

A Random Phrase wrote:

or this?

:)) =)) =))

Personally, I think we should all go naked for a generation or two. That ought to take care of immodest thoughts and issues. (I mean, how many people get in an uproar over seeing a wrist or an ankle nowadays? And that is immodest, I tell you, immodest!! - if you lived 120 years ago in the United States.)
Ummmmm, I just don't look good naked anymore! ( thats a song that is SOOOOO funny)! I will try and find the words. Its clean, but funny!

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

Juliette, please share. It sounds enticing.