5 nuclear reactors now in trouble...

Discuss political news items / current events.
buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: 5 nuclear reactors now in trouble...

Post by buffalo_girl »

How about just plain crap?

You take your pills, and I'll take mine, sweetie.

reese
captain of 1,000

Post by reese »

buffalo_girl wrote:You CANNOT wait until there are 'readings' to begin taking potassium iodide. Radioactive iodine will 'fill' your thyroid thus making it impossible to protect it with the harmless potassium iodide.

If you have Lugol's Solution or potassium iodide pills I would recommend beginning your preventative therapy NOW! Children are especially vulnerable to radioactive iodine exposure.

My understanding is that radioactive contamination will arrive on the North American Continent in 36 hours from release in Japan.

If you aren't able to find the potassium iodide pills - which are very expensive in my opinion as you will need between 60-90 days supply of 130 mg per day per person - here is a suggestion for alternative protection:

http://nutritionalhealthandwellness.blo ... llout.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/radiation/ki.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a map source for the northern hemisphere jet stream activity:

http://virga.sfsu.edu/pub/jetstream/jetstream/big/1103/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BG what is Lugol's solution? What about "painting" iodine on your skin, does that work?

edzachary
captain of 100

Post by edzachary »

Songbird wrote:
edzachary wrote:
buffalo_girl wrote: Perhaps not so much 'reactionary' as prophylactic.
How about just plain crap?
Personally, I do not trust those who say it's safe in the world right now and there is no serious danger. Kelp is a natural product. According to one of the links that BG posted, Iodine is an essential nutrient and Americans are low in it. It also stated that it is better to get the Iodine level up and in the thyroid before the alarm bells sound because they will probably sound too late. I certainly don't mind taking it.
Ed, you want to see sensational... then hook into Randy's comments...note he has not made himself known once he spread his sensationalistic "crap" around. Just because you don't agree does not mean you have to be so vehement about it.
I'm not saying the world is safe. But these kind of reactionary statements are what make the world unsafe. They lead people to make improper judgments, to say wrong things themselves, to have unjustified fears. This is not what the Lord intends of us. What I am suggesting is that people would be wise to research the possibilities and then seek out the Lord's judgment through personal revelation. Someone sitting 7000 miles away making a blanket statement for all within the sound of their voice to take pills and eat seaweed is just plain irresponsible. After spending weeks reading these forums I can easily see they are infested with these kinds of people and someone needs to counter the irrational with the rational.

The world is in great turmoil, as was prophesied. But the answer is not to jump at every twig that is snapped. Those same gnats we strain at shouldn't be slain with hatchets -- a fly swatter will do. We would be better served speaking wisdom to each other about things we know about -- and put our houses in order as the Lord has directed us through his prophets -- go to ProvidentLiving.org and follow what is suggested there.

The right thing to do will come by way of the Still Small Voice -- not the great and spacious building called the Internet.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

BG what is Lugol's solution? What about "painting" iodine on your skin, does that work?

Lugol's solution is a simple iodine formula created in the early 1800's and found to be effective in treating many degenerative health conditions. It was easily and inexpensively purchased from scientific supply businesses for staining microscope specimens and other basic lab work. Unfortunately, a few years ago the DEA made it illegal for Lugol's to be purchased over the counter as it supposedly could be used in the manufacture of street drugs. (No doubt water is also a substance used in manufacture of street drugs.)

A watered down version of the lab formula can be purchased at JCrows below, but it has become very expensive and is 1/2 the strength of the older formula:

http://www.jcrows.com/iodinealert.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To answer your question about 'painting' iodine on your skin. I DO that all the time with my last 4 oz bottle of 10% Lugol's Solution. I'm sure any iodine tincture used for animal disinfection would work and it's pretty inexpensive. I sure wouldn't drink it since there are other chemicals in those forms of iodine. Actually, iodine disinfectants used on the udders & teats of dairy cows was once a fairly reliable iodine source for the general population by way of the cow's milk we drank. I don't think it's used as commonly as it once was in the milking parlors.

We have all become iodine deficient for a number of reasons, including flouride & bromide which both block iodine from the thyroid.

I started using Lugol's several years ago when I was diagnosed with an autoimmune thyroid disorder. I did not want to be on Synthroid (synthetic thyroid replacement) the rest of my life and decided to run an 'experiment' on myself by using Lugol's. After three years of daily small doses of iodine my last thyroid function screening came back NORMAL, NORMAL, NORMAL!

Also...This link shows the trajectory of three releases of radioactive fallout using global maps and the time frame it took for those releases to travel. I'll continue taking the iodine pills in addition to painting my inner arm with Lugol's. You Utahans should be well aware of the impact of nuclear fallout.

http://www.idealist.ws/globaltrajectory.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by buffalo_girl on March 13th, 2011, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edzachary
captain of 100

Post by edzachary »

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/03/1 ... continues/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These pills are not a cure all.

Big explosion in the last half hour or so in Japan at a second reactor -- see it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIZKlaEZMLY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The danger appears to be to those immediate to the area. Government doesn't appear to be very forthcoming with information or warning of danger.

Atmospheric monitoring affecting the United States would take days to analyze and fallout would take over a week or longer to "get here" -- and then would be minimal in effect at this great distance:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/03/ ... 300049669/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See also: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 09824.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Toto
captain of 1,000

Post by Toto »

edzachary wrote:These pills are not a cure all.
Wow, you must be a rocket scientist!

Hey Ed.....

Someone said it’s better to shut your mouth and look like an idiot than to open it and prove it, and frankly, I don’t listen to anyone who gets their education from faux news sources.

But do come back after you pull you head out of the sand and find something of value to contribute to the discussion.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

Toto wrote:
edzachary wrote:These pills are not a cure all.
Wow, you must be a rocket scientist!

Hey Ed.....

Someone said it’s better to shut your mouth and look like an idiot than to open it and prove it, and frankly, I don’t listen to anyone who gets their education from faux news sources.

But do come back after you pull you head out of the sand and find something of value to contribute to the discussion.

Maybe Ed can take some lessons in technique from you Toto and come back as condescending and insulting as you have chosen to be here. :ymapplause:

Toto
captain of 1,000

Post by Toto »

My apologies. I’m very concerned about the events unfolding.

I didn’t like to looks of this second explosion, and rumor of a second 10 foot tsunami as I write. This could get really ugly, with a magnitude 7.8 aftershock looming…..this is some serious stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIZKlaEZMLY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Toto
captain of 1,000

Post by Toto »

Explosion At Reactor #3, Problems With Reactor #2 As Fear Of Full Scale Nuclear Crisis Grows
http://theintelhub.com/2011/03/13/explo ... collapsed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

March 13th, 2011
To top it off, The New York Times is reporting that the aircraft carrier Ronald Reagen has passed through a RADIOACTIVE cloud in Japan and that military helicopters 60 miles away from the Fukushima nuclear power plant were coated with particulate radiation.
This clearly shows that the wind is picking up radiation and spreading it at least 60 miles north of the power plant.

edzachary
captain of 100

Post by edzachary »

There is no doubt that the nuclear situation in Japan is completely out of control and will likely result in adding complex disturbing layers to this tragedy. But we should not make it worse by reacting with undo haste that would set people off HERE in a panic. Our own disasters loom and we should instead be thinking first of how to help our brothers and sisters in Japan -- and how to best prepare here.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

Our own disasters loom and we should instead be thinking first of how to help our brothers and sisters in Japan -- and how to best prepare here.

Taking a single pill, eating red kelp or painting one's arm with iodine once a day certainly doesn't preclude helping our brothers & sisters in Japan and may well be a hedge against 'our own disasters'.

Preparation on our part means we will be less likely to need others risk their lives to save us - whether immediately or in the future.

You have to understand that radioactive fallout DOES circulate in the jet stream. If you didn't see the link to maps showing the circulation of fallout and the time frame of each from three separate nuclear incidents around the globe, please consider...

http://www.idealist.ws/globaltrajectory.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Istand4truth
captain of 100

Post by Istand4truth »

Many Americans are lacking in iodine. I think it is prudent to take some natural sources of iodine just in case. It definitely wouldn't hurt. I already have kelp and natural iodine on hand, but I ordered more. I prefer taking that to taking the potassium iodide.

Rincon
captain of 100

Post by Rincon »

Removed.
Last edited by Rincon on April 1st, 2011, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Rincon wrote:What will happen to me if I get radiated and do nothing about it? Maybe this is a good option.
Odds of us getting a good dose of radiation are pretty slim......and 99% of Japan would be toast prior.

Toto
captain of 1,000

Post by Toto »

I don’t see being proactive as "reacting with undo haste that would set people off HERE in a panic."

"An informed democracy will behave in a responsible fashion."
--Thomas Jefferson

Radiation Blowing towards the West Coast of N. America.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY9zNNSa ... r_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Storm Surf – Surf forecasts and marine weather
http://www.stormsurf.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Real-time radiation monitoring networks:
http://www.blackcatsystems.com/RadMap/map.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.radiationnetwork.com/GGFTPMap.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Guidance
Potassium Iodide as a Thyroid Blocking
Agent in Radiation Emergencies
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/Guid ... 080542.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This guidance represents the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA's) current thinking on this topic. It
does not create or confer any rights for or on any person and does not operate to bind FDA or the public.
An alternative approach may be used if such approach satisfies the requirements of the applicable statutes
and regulations.

The effectiveness of KI as a specific blocker of thyroid radioiodine uptake is well established
(Il’in LA, et al., 1972) as are the doses necessary for blocking uptake. As such, it is reasonable
to conclude that KI will likewise be effective in reducing the risk of thyroid cancer in individuals
or populations at risk for inhalation or ingestion of radioiodines.
Short-term administration of KI at thyroid blocking doses is safe and, in general, more so in
children than adults. The risks of stable iodine administration include sialadenitis (an
inflammation of the salivary gland, of which no cases were reported in Poland among users after
the Chernobyl accident), gastrointestinal disturbances, allergic reactions and minor rashes. In
addition, persons with known iodine sensitivity should avoid KI, as should individuals with
dermatitis herpetiformis and hypocomplementemic vasculitis, extremely rare conditions
associated with an increased risk of iodine hypersensitivity.

Thyroidal side effects of stable iodine include iodine-induced thyrotoxicosis, which is more
common in older people and in iodine deficient areas but usually requires repeated doses of
stable iodine. In addition, iodide goiter and hypothyroidism are potential side effects more
common in iodine sufficient areas, but they require chronic high doses of stable iodine (Rubery
1990). In light of the preceding, individuals with multinodular goiter, Graves’ disease, and
autoimmune thyroiditis should be treated with caution, especially if dosing extends beyond a few
days. The vast majority of such individuals will be adults.

across populations at risk for
radioiodine exposure, the overall benefits of KI far exceed the risks of overdosing, especially
in children, though we continue to emphasize particular attention to dose in infants.

Rincon
captain of 100

Post by Rincon »

Removed
Last edited by Rincon on April 1st, 2011, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Mummy wrote:
Rincon wrote:What will happen to me if I get radiated and do nothing about it? Maybe this is a good option.
Odds of us getting a good dose of radiation are pretty slim......and 99% of Japan would be toast prior.
If the nuclear plants that are currently experiencing phase 1 of a meltdown do melt down and release quantities of radiation, trade winds will carry the fallout to the west coast of the U.S. and eventually over the western portion of the country. The only question is how much radiation would we get and how dangerous will it be for us? Well, these charts should help clear some things up a little:

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

... 3 reactors now in meltdown phase...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... plant.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Japan's nightmare gets even WORSE: All THREE damaged nuclear reactors now in 'meltdown' at tsunami-hit power station

Fuel rods appear to be melting inside three over-heating reactors

- Experts class development as 'partial meltdown'
- Japan calls for U.S. help cooling the reactor
- The Japanese nuclear reactor hit by the tsunami went into 'meltdown' today, as officials admitted that fuel rods appear to be melting inside three damaged reactors.

There is a risk that molten nuclear fuel can melt through the reactor's safety barriers and cause a serious radiation leak.

There have already been explosions inside two over-heating reactors at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant, and the fuel rods inside a third were partially exposed as engineers desperately fight to keep them cool after the tsunami knocked out systems.
:(

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Col. Flagg wrote:
Mummy wrote:
If the nuclear plants that are currently experiencing phase 1 of a meltdown do melt down and release quantities of radiation, trade winds will carry the fallout to the west coast of the U.S. and eventually over the western portion of the country. The only question is how much radiation would we get and how dangerous will it be for us? Well, these charts should help clear some things up a little:

If you believe their assumptions....

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

Since we are probably ALL iodine deficient anyway, why all the opposition to taking iodine? Seems kind of curious.

Are some of you in the medical/pharmaceutical industry? Hoping for a future bloom of cancer patients?

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

buffalo_girl wrote:Since we are probably ALL iodine deficient anyway, why all the opposition to taking iodine? Seems kind of curious.

Are some of you in the medical/pharmaceutical industry? Hoping for a future bloom of cancer patients?
....sorry - oil, gas, and minerals. Got out of the cancer detection business due to the company having cancer....that it has yet to get cured of and is very close to demise!

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Does The "Ring Of Fire" Guarantee At Least One Magnitude 8 Aftershock, And Ten Of Magnitude 7 Or Higher?

For Japan, it's nowhere near over, at least if the Pasadena Jet Propulsion Laboratory (creator of such brainiac things as the Mars rovers) is correct. While Japan has experienced numerous magnitude 5 and 6 aftershocks (405 in total to be precise), the big ones are still to come: "Japan's largest quake on record, which hurled a 7-meter (23-foot) wave landward after one plate slid beneath another off the coast of Sendai, had an 8.9 magnitude. The aftershocks will likely include at least one measuring 8 and 10 of magnitude 7, JPL geophysicist Andrea Donnellan said. All are many times larger than the 6.3-level New Zealand quake in February that leveled the Christchurch business district and killed 160." Should we get more 8+ earthquakes, the likelihood of further tsunamis unfortunately jumps exponentially. And while scientists have long been expecting "the Big One" to hit Los Angeles so far without success, unfortunately carrying over that logic to Japan is more than naive.
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/does-r ... -or-higher" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

....probably anybody's guess....but it doesn't look to hot at this point!

Cover Up Of Fukushima Chain Reaction Underway
http://www.prisonplanet.com/chain-react ... plode.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WARNING: Fear-Mongering And Health
http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=182185" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Gamma Radiation In Fukushima-Downwind Ibaraki Disclosed, 30 Times Above Normal

For all who have been looking for realtime radiation data from Japan, you are in luck. Or maybe not, as the data unfortunately indicates nothing good. The System for Prediction of Environment Emergency Dose Information (SPEEDI) releases gamma radiation data online. The site is jittery and apparently not suited for major traffic which is why we represent several screen captures of the data. While it is not surprising that according to the website both Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures are entirely "Under Survey" as it makes sense that the government does not want to generate panic, SPEEDI has disclosed some tell-tale data about cities in Ibaraki prefecture, which is just a hundred or so miles north of Tokyo, and is just south of the ill-fated Fukushima prefecture. And the data is stunning: based on a N, NE and NNE wind direction (where it originates), meaning all coming from Fukushima, with a normal reading in the 80 nGy/h range, the city of Kounosu Naka is at 3,024, Kadobe Naka is at 2,416, Isobe Hitachioota is at 1,213 and many others are in the mid to upper triple digit range! Again, this is based on wind coming out of Fukushima and ultimately headed toward the capital. Indicatively, normal terrestrial plus cosmic gamma radiation is about 80 nGy/h.

Below we present screencaptures as of moments ago, as apparently the Japanese government seems to believe that abnormal gamma radiation levels are perfectly notmal:

A map of all prefectures, showing maximum gamma radation readings. Note Ibaraki at 3,024 nGy/h, and Kanagawa right below it (and downwind) at 224 nGy/h compared to low double digts for all other prefecture.
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/gamma- ... ove-normal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Songbird
captain of 1,000

Post by Songbird »

Mummy, thanks for keeping us up to date with all the links. Very helpful! :)

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Songbird wrote:Mummy, thanks for keeping us up to date with all the links. Very helpful! :)
Your welcome....glad to be of service!