Venezuela: End Stage Socialism

Discuss political news items / current events.
mrkdvsn8
Hi, I'm new.
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Venezuela: End Stage Socialism

Postby mrkdvsn8 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:24 pm

Separatist wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:01 am
Socialism is a range of economic and social systems characterised by social ownership and democratic control of the means of production

Sponsored Links

Advertisements

Medical Cost Sharing - It's not insurance it's better!

Silver
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3300
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Re: Venezuela: End Stage Socialism

Postby Silver » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:44 pm

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-04-2 ... -car-plant

Venezuela Seizes General Motors Car Plant

by Tyler Durden
Apr 20, 2017 8:59 AM

While the US has a habit of invading or attacking sovereign nations any time the president's approval rating dips below a certain threshold, Venezuela has a similar, if less dramatic mechanism to provide a brief boost to Maduro's popularity: it nationalizes foreign plants on its soil.

It did so last July, when the country was once again suffocating under a wave of violent protests, when just hours after Kimberly-Clark said it will shutter its Venezuela operations after years of grappling with soaring inflation and a shortage of hard currency and raw materials, Venezuela retaliated by announcing it would seize the factory.

It did so again overnight, when General Motors said on Wednesday that Venezuelan authorities had illegally seized its plant in the industrial hub of Valencia; as a result the carmaker said it would immediately halt operations in Venezuela.

"Yesterday, GMV's (General Motors Venezolana) plant was unexpectedly taken by the public authorities, preventing normal operations. In addition, other assets of the company, such as vehicles, have been illegally taken from its facilities," the company said in a statement.

The automaker said the seizure showed a "total disregard" of its legal rights. "[GM] strongly rejects the arbitrary measures taken by the authorities and will vigorously take all legal actions, within and outside of Venezuela, to defend its rights."

GM's subsidiary in the country - General Motors Venezolana - has operated in Venezuela for nearly 70 years. It employs nearly 2,700 workers and has 79 dealers in the country. GM said it would make "separation payments" to its workers.
As a prophet reveals the truth it divides the people. (T)he worldly either want to close the mouth of the prophet, or else act as if the prophet didn’t exist, rather than repent of their sins. Popularity is never a test of truth. Ezra Taft Benson

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000
Posts: 1163
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:17 pm

Re: Venezuela: End Stage Socialism

Postby DesertWonderer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:07 pm

Will there be a legitimate civil war in Venezuela? I guess there could only be IF the military split in half and took sides?

User avatar
Joel
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3109
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 am

Re: Venezuela: End Stage Socialism

Postby Joel » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:28 pm

During protests in Venezuela a woman stood in front of an armored vehicle. Protesters are calling for Venezuelan president, Nicolas Maduro, to step down.

User avatar
gclayjr
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2223
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:08 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Venezuela: End Stage Socialism

Postby gclayjr » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:00 am

BeNotDeceived,
Currency backed by energy, who woulda thunk. :-o
I'm not sure if I suffer from Internet Asrbergers or not. Are you just being silly, or did you think that my explanation of Breton Woods actually had anything to do with energy? It merely was an agreement that all international business trades wold be in USD, which benefits us, because it was based upon the idea of the Solid Yankee Dollar...which of course is not true, but we do benefit from that illusion.


Regards,

George Clay

User avatar
BeNotDeceived
captain of 100
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:55 am

Re: Venezuela: End Stage Socialism

Postby BeNotDeceived » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:19 am

gclayjr wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:00 am
BeNotDeceived,
Currency backed by energy, who woulda thunk. :-o
I'm not sure if I suffer from Internet Asrbergers or not. Are you just being silly, or did you think that my explanation of Breton Woods actually had anything to do with energy? It merely was an agreement that all international business trades wold be in USD, which benefits us, because it was based upon the idea of the Solid Yankee Dollar...which of course is not true, but we do benefit from that illusion.


Regards,

George Clay
Energy would be a good choice to back currency i.e. an Energy Dollar.

Precious metals are mostly precious because you think they're precious when really they aren't much better that our current fiat situation made necessary by limited supply which can't support a growing population and a fluid economy.

Energy has real value and is not of limited supply. Some methods of production pollute or are dangerous and must be regulated. An Energy Dollar would represent so many Kilo-Watt Hours (KWHr), joules, etc., with conversion ratios needed in practice.

A quart of wheat was used in pioneer days as a unit of barter; food is what might be argued as the most valuable life-sustaining form of energy. A barrel of oil is almost a de-facto currency on the world market that is gradually slipping from US valuation.

Anyway, I find it an intriguing idea that may come into play when our fiat currency finally does collapse.

Brenton Woods was unfamiliar to me and googling it I found this:

End of Bretton Woods Agreement
The Bretton Woods Agreement was dissolved between 1968 and 1973. An overvaluation of the U.S. dollar led to concerns over the exchange rates and tie to the price of gold. President Richard Nixon called for a temporary suspension of the dollar’s convertibility. Countries were then free to choose any exchange agreement, except the price of gold. In 1973, foreign governments let currencies float, which put an end to the Bretton Woods system. ... http://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bre ... eement.asp

When the illusion of floating currencies does collapse, replacing them with something based on real value may become necessary to instill confidence. :-)
Recognize similarity
7 years of prosperity

2 cents paid advance
2 days wasn't chance

Destruction's door
gapes wide 2024 :ymdevil:

The wise will know change is near
Be prepared and you shall not fear

Silver
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3300
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Re: Venezuela: End Stage Socialism

Postby Silver » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:03 am

BeNotDeceived wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:19 am
gclayjr wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:00 am
BeNotDeceived,
Currency backed by energy, who woulda thunk. :-o
I'm not sure if I suffer from Internet Asrbergers or not. Are you just being silly, or did you think that my explanation of Breton Woods actually had anything to do with energy? It merely was an agreement that all international business trades wold be in USD, which benefits us, because it was based upon the idea of the Solid Yankee Dollar...which of course is not true, but we do benefit from that illusion.


Regards,

George Clay
Energy would be a good choice to back currency i.e. an Energy Dollar.

Precious metals are mostly precious because you think they're precious when really they aren't much better that our current fiat situation made necessary by limited supply which can't support a growing population and a fluid economy.

Energy has real value and is not of limited supply. Some methods of production pollute or are dangerous and must be regulated. An Energy Dollar would represent so many Kilo-Watt Hours (KWHr), joules, etc., with conversion ratios needed in practice.

A quart of wheat was used in pioneer days as a unit of barter; food is what might be argued as the most valuable life-sustaining form of energy. A barrel of oil is almost a de-facto currency on the world market that is gradually slipping from US valuation.

Anyway, I find it an intriguing idea that may come into play when our fiat currency finally does collapse.

Brenton Woods was unfamiliar to me and googling it I found this:

End of Bretton Woods Agreement
The Bretton Woods Agreement was dissolved between 1968 and 1973. An overvaluation of the U.S. dollar led to concerns over the exchange rates and tie to the price of gold. President Richard Nixon called for a temporary suspension of the dollar’s convertibility. Countries were then free to choose any exchange agreement, except the price of gold. In 1973, foreign governments let currencies float, which put an end to the Bretton Woods system. ... http://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bre ... eement.asp

When the illusion of floating currencies does collapse, replacing them with something based on real value may become necessary to instill confidence. :-)
Everything you need to know about precious metals:
Doctrine & Covenants 98:
4 And now, verily I say unto you concerning the laws of the land, it is my will that my people should observe to do all things whatsoever I command them.

5 And that law of the land which is constitutional, supporting that principle of freedom in maintaining rights and privileges, belongs to all mankind, and is justifiable before me.

6 Therefore, I, the Lord, justify you, and your brethren of my church, in befriending that law which is the constitutional law of the land;

7 And as pertaining to law of man, whatsoever is more or less than this, cometh of evil.

8 I, the Lord God, make you free, therefore ye are free indeed; and the law also maketh you free.
As a prophet reveals the truth it divides the people. (T)he worldly either want to close the mouth of the prophet, or else act as if the prophet didn’t exist, rather than repent of their sins. Popularity is never a test of truth. Ezra Taft Benson

User avatar
gclayjr
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2223
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:08 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Venezuela: End Stage Socialism

Postby gclayjr » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:45 am

BeNotDeceived,
When the illusion of floating currencies does collapse, replacing them with something based on real value may become necessary to instill confidence.
I get it now, you are suggesting what otta happen. I haven't thought it through, but I'm sure it's better than what is today.

Regards,

George Clay

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000
Posts: 1163
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:17 pm

Re: Venezuela: End Stage Socialism

Postby DesertWonderer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:49 am

Silver wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:03 am
BeNotDeceived wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:19 am
gclayjr wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:00 am
BeNotDeceived,
Currency backed by energy, who woulda thunk. :-o
I'm not sure if I suffer from Internet Asrbergers or not. Are you just being silly, or did you think that my explanation of Breton Woods actually had anything to do with energy? It merely was an agreement that all international business trades wold be in USD, which benefits us, because it was based upon the idea of the Solid Yankee Dollar...which of course is not true, but we do benefit from that illusion.


Regards,

George Clay
Energy would be a good choice to back currency i.e. an Energy Dollar.

Precious metals are mostly precious because you think they're precious when really they aren't much better that our current fiat situation made necessary by limited supply which can't support a growing population and a fluid economy.

Energy has real value and is not of limited supply. Some methods of production pollute or are dangerous and must be regulated. An Energy Dollar would represent so many Kilo-Watt Hours (KWHr), joules, etc., with conversion ratios needed in practice.

A quart of wheat was used in pioneer days as a unit of barter; food is what might be argued as the most valuable life-sustaining form of energy. A barrel of oil is almost a de-facto currency on the world market that is gradually slipping from US valuation.

Anyway, I find it an intriguing idea that may come into play when our fiat currency finally does collapse.

Brenton Woods was unfamiliar to me and googling it I found this:

End of Bretton Woods Agreement
The Bretton Woods Agreement was dissolved between 1968 and 1973. An overvaluation of the U.S. dollar led to concerns over the exchange rates and tie to the price of gold. President Richard Nixon called for a temporary suspension of the dollar’s convertibility. Countries were then free to choose any exchange agreement, except the price of gold. In 1973, foreign governments let currencies float, which put an end to the Bretton Woods system. ... http://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bre ... eement.asp

When the illusion of floating currencies does collapse, replacing them with something based on real value may become necessary to instill confidence. :-)
Everything you need to know about precious metals:
Doctrine & Covenants 98:
4 And now, verily I say unto you concerning the laws of the land, it is my will that my people should observe to do all things whatsoever I command them.

5 And that law of the land which is constitutional, supporting that principle of freedom in maintaining rights and privileges, belongs to all mankind, and is justifiable before me.

6 Therefore, I, the Lord, justify you, and your brethren of my church, in befriending that law which is the constitutional law of the land;

7 And as pertaining to law of man, whatsoever is more or less than this, cometh of evil.

8 I, the Lord God, make you free, therefore ye are free indeed; and the law also maketh you free.
(said in the best Mr Rogers voice I could muster) Boys and girls: Can you say gospel hobby? Sure. Sure you can.
Last edited by DesertWonderer on Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3300
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Re: Venezuela: End Stage Socialism

Postby Silver » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:10 am

DesertWonderer wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:49 am
Silver wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:03 am
BeNotDeceived wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:19 am
gclayjr wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:00 am
BeNotDeceived,



I'm not sure if I suffer from Internet Asrbergers or not. Are you just being silly, or did you think that my explanation of Breton Woods actually had anything to do with energy? It merely was an agreement that all international business trades wold be in USD, which benefits us, because it was based upon the idea of the Solid Yankee Dollar...which of course is not true, but we do benefit from that illusion.


Regards,

George Clay
Energy would be a good choice to back currency i.e. an Energy Dollar.

Precious metals are mostly precious because you think they're precious when really they aren't much better that our current fiat situation made necessary by limited supply which can't support a growing population and a fluid economy.

Energy has real value and is not of limited supply. Some methods of production pollute or are dangerous and must be regulated. An Energy Dollar would represent so many Kilo-Watt Hours (KWHr), joules, etc., with conversion ratios needed in practice.

A quart of wheat was used in pioneer days as a unit of barter; food is what might be argued as the most valuable life-sustaining form of energy. A barrel of oil is almost a de-facto currency on the world market that is gradually slipping from US valuation.

Anyway, I find it an intriguing idea that may come into play when our fiat currency finally does collapse.

Brenton Woods was unfamiliar to me and googling it I found this:

End of Bretton Woods Agreement
The Bretton Woods Agreement was dissolved between 1968 and 1973. An overvaluation of the U.S. dollar led to concerns over the exchange rates and tie to the price of gold. President Richard Nixon called for a temporary suspension of the dollar’s convertibility. Countries were then free to choose any exchange agreement, except the price of gold. In 1973, foreign governments let currencies float, which put an end to the Bretton Woods system. ... http://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bre ... eement.asp

When the illusion of floating currencies does collapse, replacing them with something based on real value may become necessary to instill confidence. :-)
Everything you need to know about precious metals:
Doctrine & Covenants 98:
4 And now, verily I say unto you concerning the laws of the land, it is my will that my people should observe to do all things whatsoever I command them.

5 And that law of the land which is constitutional, supporting that principle of freedom in maintaining rights and privileges, belongs to all mankind, and is justifiable before me.

6 Therefore, I, the Lord, justify you, and your brethren of my church, in befriending that law which is the constitutional law of the land;

7 And as pertaining to law of man, whatsoever is more or less than this, cometh of evil.

8 I, the Lord God, make you free, therefore ye are free indeed; and the law also maketh you free.
(saidi in the best Mr Rogers voice I could muster) Boys and girls: Can you say gospel hobby? Sure. Sure you can.
I suppose your last comment was addressed to me. If so, thank you very much.
As a prophet reveals the truth it divides the people. (T)he worldly either want to close the mouth of the prophet, or else act as if the prophet didn’t exist, rather than repent of their sins. Popularity is never a test of truth. Ezra Taft Benson

User avatar
BeNotDeceived
captain of 100
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:55 am

Re: Venezuela: End Stage Socialism

Postby BeNotDeceived » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:33 pm

Silver wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:03 am
BeNotDeceived wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:19 am
gclayjr wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:00 am
BeNotDeceived,
Currency backed by energy, who woulda thunk. :-o
I'm not sure if I suffer from Internet Asrbergers or not. Are you just being silly, or did you think that my explanation of Breton Woods actually had anything to do with energy? It merely was an agreement that all international business trades wold be in USD, which benefits us, because it was based upon the idea of the Solid Yankee Dollar...which of course is not true, but we do benefit from that illusion.


Regards,

George Clay
Energy would be a good choice to back currency i.e. an Energy Dollar.

Precious metals are mostly precious because you think they're precious when really they aren't much better that our current fiat situation made necessary by limited supply which can't support a growing population and a fluid economy.

Energy has real value and is not of limited supply. Some methods of production pollute or are dangerous and must be regulated. An Energy Dollar would represent so many Kilo-Watt Hours (KWHr), joules, etc., with conversion ratios needed in practice.

A quart of wheat was used in pioneer days as a unit of barter; food is what might be argued as the most valuable life-sustaining form of energy. A barrel of oil is almost a de-facto currency on the world market that is gradually slipping from US valuation.

Anyway, I find it an intriguing idea that may come into play when our fiat currency finally does collapse.

Brenton Woods was unfamiliar to me and googling it I found this:

End of Bretton Woods Agreement
The Bretton Woods Agreement was dissolved between 1968 and 1973. An overvaluation of the U.S. dollar led to concerns over the exchange rates and tie to the price of gold. President Richard Nixon called for a temporary suspension of the dollar’s convertibility. Countries were then free to choose any exchange agreement, except the price of gold. In 1973, foreign governments let currencies float, which put an end to the Bretton Woods system. ... http://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bre ... eement.asp

When the illusion of floating currencies does collapse, replacing them with something based on real value may become necessary to instill confidence. :-)
Everything you need to know about precious metals:
Doctrine & Covenants 98:
4 And now, verily I say unto you concerning the laws of the land, it is my will that my people should observe to do all things whatsoever I command them.

5 And that law of the land which is constitutional, supporting that principle of freedom in maintaining rights and privileges, belongs to all mankind, and is justifiable before me.

6 Therefore, I, the Lord, justify you, and your brethren of my church, in befriending that law which is the constitutional law of the land;

7 And as pertaining to law of man, whatsoever is more or less than this, cometh of evil.

8 I, the Lord God, make you free, therefore ye are free indeed; and the law also maketh you free.
Where are metals mentioned? I seem to recall the roads of Zion are paved with gold, which begs the question:

What happens to the value when large amounts are recovered from the earths molten core?

Even metals are produced by nuclear fusion which may one day come under man's control.
Recognize similarity
7 years of prosperity

2 cents paid advance
2 days wasn't chance

Destruction's door
gapes wide 2024 :ymdevil:

The wise will know change is near
Be prepared and you shall not fear


Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 66 guests