News You Can Use

Discuss political news items / current events.
iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Re: News You Can Use

Post by iWriteStuff »

Yeah I had the thought that even if the voice of the people was in favor of secession, there's no way that would be reflected in the voting results.... Too many financial interests at stake.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Not

Texas court throws out 'upskirt' photo law
The state's highest criminal court on Wednesday tossed out part of a Texas law banning "improper photography or visual recording" - surreptitious images acquired in public for sexual gratification, often called "upskirting" or "downblousing" - as a violation of federal free-speech rights and an improper restriction on a person's right to individual thoughts.

In an 8-1 ruling, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals said photos, like paintings, films and books, are "inherently expressive" and, therefore, are protected by the First Amendment. The opinion supported a previous decision by the San Antonio-based 4th Court of Appeals.

"The camera is essentially the photographer's pen and paintbrush," the opinion written by Presiding Judge Sharon Keller said. "A person's purposeful creation of photographs and visual recordings is entitled to the same First Amendment protection as the photographs and visual recordings themselves."

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

HOW A DANISH TOWN IS TRYING TO IMPROVE LIFE FOR THE HOMELESS
A Danish town outfitted homeless volunteers with GPS devices to help officials track the routines of "those who just want to sit on a bench and drink beers."

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Basically they can SWAT you not matter how minor the infraction.

Illinois judge rules police entitled to Swat raid over parody Twitter account
A Swat team burst into a Peoria house looking for the source of parody Twitter account that had upset the town’s mayor

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Mother of Felon Shot and Killed by Police Holds Press Conference, Wants “Officer to Suffer Like Her Son Suffered”
“They took my child away from me… took my child away from me in handcuffs, shot him in handcuffs… I just want to see dis officer that killed my son in handcuffs. I want him to suffer like my child suffered.”

“He didn’t sell drugs and he wasn’t a violent person,” Nelson said. “You can see how liked he was. Look at all these people. We want justice for my boy. You couldn’t ask for a better friend.”

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Peter Thiel: the billionaire tech entrepreneur on a mission to cheat death
The co-founder of PayPal and likely the most successful venture capitalist in Silicon Valley is on a mission to change the world through technology – and to find a cure for death

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

U.S., Canadian jets intercept 8 Russian aircraft
U.S. and Canadian jets intercepted eight Russian military aircraft as they neared American and Canadian airspace in two separate incidents, officials confirmed Saturday.

In both incidents the Russian aircraft never penetrated U.S. or Canadian airspace and appeared non-threatening, military officials said.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

This fellow (Jason) does a news/summary by showing clips of news broadcasts; interesting and informative; but graphic (warning).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boJ4Ga6 ... ubs_digest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; = recent example

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

The news review by video for August is very intriguing; e.g., UFO/FIS sightings at the 13min mark ff, also at the end of the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUbfZz1ATgg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Thank you for sharing Dr. Jones.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

USDA’s Approval of GMO Corn and Soybean Will Lead to Heavier Herbicide Use
On Wednesday September 17, the United States Department of Agriculture announced that it would approve Genetically Modified Corn and Soybean seeds from Dow AgroSciences of the Dow Chemical company.

The GM seeds were created to resist the herbicides 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid(2,4-D) and glyphosate as part of the Enlist Weed Control system. Under the Enlist system, crops are sprayed with Dow’s Enlist Duo pesticide which contains 2,4-D and glyphosate.

The weed controls system is the latest effort to combat the growing problem of so-called “super weeds” that have resulted from the abundant use of glyphosate-based herbicides. Glyphosate is Monsanto Co.’s premiere herbicide, including the popular Roundup product. In order to fight off the tougher weeds Dow and Monsanto partnered together to produce a new stronger herbicide comprised of 2,4-D, and glyphosate. For this to work the biotech corps need approval for the seeds from the USDA and approval for the new 2,4-d herbicide from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Alaska Physician Shuts Down Practice, Citing Obamacare
After a long list of Obamacare failures in Alaska, one physician is shutting down his decades-old practice, charging that the health-care law and other federal programs are “unsustainable” for practicing doctors.

Dr. William Wennen, a plastic surgeon, is closing his Fairbanks practice after 38 years of working in the state. Dr. Wennen blames federal health insurance programs, citing Obamacare, Medicaid and Medicare, for shutting down his practice.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

China is trying to build a new world order, starting in Asia
THE clue is in the name. The Shanghai Co-operation Organisation (SCO) groups six countries—China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan—and aims to be the dominant security institution in its region; but its origin and purposes are largely Chinese. So it looks rather worrying from a Western point of view that the group has agreed to expand and that India, Pakistan and Iran are all keen to join: the rise of a kind of China-led NATO to which even America’s friends, such as India and Pakistan, seem drawn. Yet that is to misunderstand the sort of organisation the SCO aspires to be. It does indeed pose a challenge to the American-led world order, but a much more subtle one.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Tax refunds will be cut for ACA recipients
A significant benefit of the Affordable Care Act is the opportunity to receive money-saving tax credits up front to cut the overall cost of health insurance, but now hundreds of thousands of consumers could owe back some of that money next April.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Can a Computer Replace Your Doctor?
AS a former physician, I shivered a bit when I heard Dr. Vivek Wadhwa say he would rather have an artificial-intelligence doctor than a human one. “I would trust an A.I. over a doctor any day,” he proclaimed at a recent health innovation conference in San Francisco, noting that artificial intelligence provided “perfect knowledge.” When asked to vote, probably a third of those in attendance agreed.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

America Has its Own Growing Secession Movement
Watching the results of Scotland’s secession gambit was quite a ride, if not a little disappointing in the end. It would have been fantastic to see that proud nation independent once again. I suppose it’s not to be, at least for now. While Downing Street breathes a sigh of relief, perhaps they should reexamine the demographics of the voting results. They certainly don’t bode well for the future of the United Kingdom.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Why Is China Having Measles Outbreaks When 99% Are Vaccinated?
China has one of the most vaccination compliant populations in the world. In fact, measles vaccine is mandatory. So why have they had over 700 measles outbreaks from 2009 and 2012 alone? The obvious answer is the the measles vaccines are simply NOT effective.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Blackwater-like contractor seeks to legalize private police in the U.S.
There are very few news stories about government overreach that shock me these days, but this week there were two -- both in California. Each came and went with barely a whisper in the media, even from the "liberty" news.
That's right, a report out of Mendocino, California admits that Blackwater-like private "security" contractors are now being used to "police pot." Mysterious soldiers repelled out of unmarked helicopters fully armed for war to raid legal medical cannabis gardens last month. They didn't identify themselves or present paperwork of any kind. They just destroyed the garden and left. Other witnesses claim this invading army is also "confiscating" product"

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

FRENCH FARMERS SET TAX OFFICE ON FIRE – DEMISE OF EUROPE
French vegetable farmer have set a tax office and a building on fire destroying the government facility which was the symbol of the increasing administrative burden and sanctions that is killing farming. Hundreds of tractors and trailers of the farmers converged on Friday evening before the building of the Agricultural Social Insurance (MSA) in the town of Morlaix (Brittany). There they dumped unsold potatoes and artichokes before the MSA-building and added pallets and tires setting the entire lot on fire. Thereafter, the farmers moved on to the tax office set that on fire as well. The protests also took place in numerous other places as well, however, only these two government buildings were totally destroyed.

The association of vegetable farmers had announced the protest action on Friday. The background is that for years the bureaucracy for farmers have magnified the economic decline and their plight with constant new regulation of everything. The economic situation of farming in Europe has been seriously pushed too far with the US sanctions against Russia. The agricultural crisis caused by Obama is increasingly deteriorating with far too many farmers throughout Europe losing everything.