Should I get a 401K or invest in Gold?

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.

Should I invest in Gold bullion or a 401K for retirement?

Gold
69%
6%
Invest in both
25%

Total votes: 16
truthseeds
captain of 100

Re: Should I get a 401K or invest in Gold?

Post by truthseeds »

Silver is where it's at IMO. Right now gold to silver is at a 66:1 ratio. Historically this should be around 16:1 or as high as 33:1.
Below are mp3's of a very thorough report by George Gordon (perhaps too thorough, may put one to sleep), on a Gold & Silver Trading Manual entitled 'Why Silver will out perform Gold by 400%' by Franklin Sanders.

It explains a way to turn an inanimate object into a money-maker without taking interest or lending or engaging in usury..

Spoiler: It's Arbitrage.

I'm sure any old-timer has a well-formed opinion on the matter...
But I found this to be a great lecture on making money with Gold and Silver.

http://library.georgegordon.com/audio/d ... 58a-32.mp3
^^The first hour was a primer^^
http://library.georgegordon.com/audio/d ... 58b-32.mp3
http://library.georgegordon.com/audio/d ... 58c-32.mp3
http://library.georgegordon.com/audio/d ... 58d-32.mp3
http://library.georgegordon.com/audio/d ... 58e-32.mp3
http://library.georgegordon.com/audio/d ... 58f-32.mp3
http://library.georgegordon.com/audio/d ... 58g-32.mp3

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

Maybe someone already answered this previously...WHO will 'buy' your gold if the entire financial system is centralized and 'elite' controlled? HOW long will private 'physical gold' brokers be in business? Are they now mandated to report ALL gold purchases and sales to the Fed? HOW will you use gold if local economies are reduced to bartering? If you use your gold to pay for goods and services at the local level, how long will it be before your safety is compromised?

I'm not sure silver will be any safer, but the old US coinage - pre-1964 - is 90% silver and seems to maintain its standing on the commodities market. And, it is money. Who decides on its value under Third World conditions, I'm not sure. It can also be melted down and made into less obvious objects.

http://www.monex.com/monex/controller?pageid=prices

haddomr
captain of 100

Post by haddomr »

Maybe someone already answered this previously...WHO will 'buy' your gold if the entire financial system is centralized and 'elite' controlled? HOW long will private 'physical gold' brokers be in business? Are they now mandated to report ALL gold purchases and sales to the Fed? HOW will you use gold if local economies are reduced to bartering? If you use your gold to pay for goods and services at the local level, how long will it be before your safety is compromised?

I'm not sure silver will be any safer, but the old US coinage - pre-1964 - is 90% silver and seems to maintain its standing on the commodities market. And, it is money. Who decides on its value under Third World conditions, I'm not sure. It can also be melted down and made into less obvious objects.
You may be right, but the way I view it is that gold/silver give you more options for other scenarios. If the PTB tanks the currency, gold can be traded for the new currency (at the new central bank) and perhaps trade at a better ratio than US dollars. Gold coins are worth so much, they may make it difficult for someone to make change in a barter system. It also allows you to leave the country and live somewhere else, because you can trade it for the other countries currency. GBH said in one of his talks that you can't prepare for every scenario, but you can prepare for a lot of them. ETB thought we would need silver coins to use as money at some future time.

Cowell
captain of 100

Post by Cowell »

Exactly haddomr.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... dinars.jpg
A 500,000,000,000 (500 billion) Yugoslavia dinar banknote circa 1993, the largest nominal value ever officially printed in Yugoslavia, the final result of hyperinflation. Photo courtesy of National Bank of Serbia.

"Of all the precious metals, gold is the most popular as an investment. Investors generally buy gold as a hedge or safe haven against any economic, political, social or currency-based crises. These crises include investment market declines, inflation, war and social unrest...In times of national crisis, people fear that their assets may be seized and that the currency may become worthless. They see gold as a solid asset which will always buy food or transportation. Thus in times of great uncertainty, particularly when war is feared, the demand for gold rises...Investors generally buy gold for two main reasons: to financially gain from increasing gold prices, and/or as a hedge or safe haven against any economic, political, social or currency-based crises."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_as_an_investment

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

This depression will not resemble the last one, food, clothing, housing, defense is where the greatest investments should be.

My bet is on cooking oil. I have 6 gallons frozen in the bottom of my freezer. How much gold/silver/paper money do you think it'll take to get one of those gallons of cooking oil from me?

When I barter that cooking oil, it won't be for gold or silver!

But, thats just me, I'm also the guy with 10,000 shares of mining stock.

Bob

Cowell
captain of 100

Post by Cowell »

Okay...the question is not...should I buy Gold in place of cooking oil, food, and other necessary items for survival.

The question is, should I invest in a 401K or not? And if not, how can I best convert my income into secure savings for the future (i.e., retirement plan). Suggestions?

Who on here is saving or has saved for retirement? How did you save? How did it go? What would you do differently or have you considered other options? I have to elect in the next month or so whether I'm going to lock myself into a 401K plan or not. Every dime that goes into it, I'm not going to see until I retire, and a lot can happen between now and then... obviously.

I just thought the freedom forum might be a good place to go to hear ideas. Again, this is not a thread on how well I will fare with gold in a barter trading system. This is a thread on whether investing on gold is better than a 401K.

Side note - If the economy is no longer functioning in 20 yrs., than most assets, as has been discussed on this thread, will be useless...I understand this. It is funny, you talk about gold, and everyone starts thinking...bartering system and dooms day. Maybe this is part of the reason it may be a good investment...A lot of people don't recognize the intrinsic value in gold, and its practicality today, not just when the economy collapses. It is easily trade-able first of all (it almost is as good as cash). It is easily transportable (small with a lot of value). And it's value is recognized across borders, cultures and regions, so when individual economies have their ups and downs, there isn't necessarily a great effect on gold prices worldwide. Let's put it this way, when a large portion of the US population saw a third of their retirement disappear over the last year...I'm sure a lot of people would have appreciated having just a couple gold bricks stashed away in their safe. A couple of gold bricks (about the size of a normal brick your house is built with) would be worth over half a million dollars.

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

Cowell wrote:Okay...the question is not...should I buy Gold in place of cooking oil, food, and other necessary items for survival.

The question is, should I invest in a 401K or not? And if not, how can I best convert my income into secure savings for the future (i.e., retirement plan). Suggestions?

Who on here is saving or has saved for retirement? How did you save? How did it go? What would you do differently or have you considered other options? I have to elect in the next month or so whether I'm going to lock myself into a 401K plan or not. Every dime that goes into it, I'm not going to see until I retire, and a lot can happen between now and then... obviously.

I just thought the freedom forum might be a good place to go to hear ideas. Again, this is not a thread on how well I will fare with gold in a barter trading system. This is a thread on whether investing on gold is better than a 401K.

Side note - If the economy is no longer functioning in 20 yrs., than most assets, as has been discussed on this thread, will be useless...I understand this. It is funny, you talk about gold, and everyone starts thinking...bartering system and dooms day. Maybe this is part of the reason it may be a good investment...A lot of people don't recognize the intrinsic value in gold, and its practicality today, not just when the economy collapses. It is easily trade-able first of all (it almost is as good as cash). It is easily transportable (small with a lot of value). And it's value is recognized across borders, cultures and regions, so when individual economies have their ups and downs, there isn't necessarily a great effect on gold prices worldwide. Let's put it this way, when a large portion of the US population saw a third of their retirement disappear over the last year...I'm sure a lot of people would have appreciated having just a couple gold bricks stashed away in their safe. A couple of gold bricks (about the size of a normal brick your house is built with) would be worth over half a million dollars.
You do what's best for you and your family, hope for the best but expect the worst to raise his ugly head. Jo and I had a good savings account, a home and property paid for free and clear, a great credit rating, both vehicles and a camping trailer, all paid for. Then cancer raised its ugly head and I'm back in debt $30,000 dollars, savings gone. At times its like a millstone tied around my neck. I feel we did everything we were supposed to, I also feel everything will work out,--sometime!---Sometimes---

I'd go 401 K, with my "gold" stored in the bottom of my freezer!

Bob

ready2prepare
captain of 1,000

Post by ready2prepare »

Cowell wrote:...This is a thread on whether investing on gold is better than a 401K....
First, you DO have the option of setting up a 401K based on gold buillion.
Did you know that?

HOWEVER: If you perceive gold to be an investment, meaning that it will
increase your wealth over time, you may be disappointed.

Quoting Jeff Clarke, Editor of Stockhouse:

Gold is not an investment. Gold’s primary purpose is to preserve your
purchasing power. Whether it is roaring inflation, or dollar debasement,
or economic upheaval, or out-of-control government spending, it has
been the absolute best form of protection throughout the history of
mankind. And I can prove it.

Let’s trace what an ounce of gold or silver – true money – has been
able to purchase at various periods in history, and how it compares to
today.

1979: Gold’s average price that year was $306.68. This bought an
average-priced full size bed.

►30 years later, $950 would still buy you a full size bed.

1963: A gallon of gasoline in America sold for 31 cents. This meant
that three silver dimes could buy a gallon of gasoline. The total weight
of silver in three silver dimes is .217 of an ounce.

►Today, three silver dimes would buy a gallon of gasoline anywhere in
the U.S.

600 AD: In the Middle East, a chicken at the time of Mohammad would
cost a family one silver Dirham (three grams).

►Today, 1,400 years later, a chicken in the Middle East would still cost
a family one silver Dirham.

Time of Christ: Under the Roman Empire, an ounce of gold purchased a
Roman citizen his toga (suit), a leather belt, and a pair of sandals.

►Today, one ounce of gold will still buy a man a suit, a leather belt, and
a pair of shoes.

400 BC: Some scholars report that during the reign of King Nebuchadnezzar,
an ounce of gold bought 350 loaves of bread.

►Today, an ounce of gold still buys about 350 loaves
($950 divided by 350 = $2.73/loaf).

1000 BC: King Solomon was known to have purchased many horses for
his army. Historical records show he bought them in Egypt for 150 shekels
of silver each. 150 shekels was about 55 troy ounces of silver.

►Today, you can still buy a riding horse for 55 troy ounces of silver ($800).

Thought you might appreciate a different perspective.

Best Regards,
Sharon in Mississippi

Cowell
captain of 100

Post by Cowell »

Thanks for the reply, ready2prepare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investment
"Investment or investing is a term with several closely-related meanings in business management, finance and economics, related to saving or deferring consumption."

Perhaps this is where the confusion is arising. I have only an intention of preserving my wealth over time when I say invest.

I have also heard that investing in gold ETFs is not as good of an option because whoever is charged with "investing" the money in the stock exchange will do so on margin. Thus, not all the gold they claim you own actually exists...and this is back to our original problem. There is also the privacy issue. Owning actual gold bars is more private.

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

Cowell,

It sounds like you are pretty sure this economy will eventually turn around, that conditions will not deteriorate to the point of total meltdown economically. Am I right?

There are two schools of thought here. One. Just like you, the economy will recover and those who were smart and invested wisely will get filthy rich. Two. This is the "big one" and there is no recovery coming until Zion is built. So those who invested wisely will be those who followed the Prophets council.

I happen to be one who believes we are the second example. So to invest in anything that you can not eat, wear, keep you in good health, sleep in, keep warm with, or protect yourself with, will be of no value at all in the days ahead.

Have you looked at the consequences of rolling the dice on this one? Lets see: If believe in the first school of thought and you win, you can become filthy rich. If you lose, you possibly die along with your family. If you believe in the second, and you win, you live and are able to help others and receive the blessings of God. If you lose, you end up with a whole lot of food, mortgage paid off, out of debt, plenty of clothes and feel very good about yourself for having followed the Lord's council.

Wow, how far are you willing to gamble with those odds!??

Cowell
captain of 100

Post by Cowell »

NoGreaterLove wrote: It sounds like you are pretty sure this economy will eventually turn around, that conditions will not deteriorate to the point of total meltdown economically. Am I right?
I appreciate your question. I do believe there will be or very well could be a complete economic collapse in my lifetime. It could even be soon.
NoGreaterLove wrote: So to invest in anything that you can not eat, wear, keep you in good health, sleep in, keep warm with, or protect yourself with, will be of no value at all in the days ahead.
I really appreciate your suggestions. One of the things I love about the forum is how focused everyone seems to be on preparation for what is to come.

That being said, I refer you to my post above where I explain the purpose of this thread:
http://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtopi ... 016#p90016
cowell wrote: Okay...the question is not...should I buy Gold in place of cooking oil, food, and other necessary items for survival. The question is, should I invest in a 401K or not?
What I am emphasizing on this thread is...I have cash...I need to convert that cash into something else for the longterm (unless Jason comes back and convince me otherwise). How do I explain...

While the economy resembles something partly legitimate, and is more or less functioning (I realize this is debatable...but as long as people continue to use dollars), it does not make sense to use the income I receive to build fires or use it as toilet paper or something...I am going to put it somewhere where I have the best chance of maintaining its value over time. I can't just throw my hands up and do nothing with the money that comes into my bank account...make sense? It is a separate issue from the ultimate economic collapse.

After I invest in everything I could possibly need for survival, what then do I do with the extra cash? Let's hypothetically say anyone on this forum has a bank account with $2 million dollars in it. They also have gas masks, guns, ammunition galore, a couple of generators, a well, a home that can convert into a bomb shelter, cooking oil, a large family garden, a couple of farm animals, an SUV or other 4-wheeler, and whatever else you can think of that might protect them through Armageddon. What should this ingenious person do with the $2 million dollars of cash in their bank account? Assuming the economy has not collapsed yet and they don't need to live off the money for 20 years? Should they put it in a 401K or not? I know it's not a perfect example because with $2 milion dollars it doesn't really matter what you do with it, but you catch my drift I think. I really just want to know the best way to save for retirement or are you suggesting I don't do that?

ready2prepare
captain of 1,000

Post by ready2prepare »

If I had the extra cash like you describe, I would invest it in a
LOCAL small business with the kind of business plan and owner(s)
that would enable it to not only survive, but thrive during an
economic downturn. Taking that approach, both your family and
your community would benefit over the long term.

It's time we started investing our money on Main Street instead
of sending it off to Wall Street (IMHO).

Best Regards,
Sharon (Making the Best of Basics) in Mississippi

Cowell
captain of 100

Post by Cowell »

Appreciate your perspective, ready2prepare. As I said, I know it was not a perfect example...as you save for retirement over time. I'm just trying to separate in people's minds the issues...assuming I'm doing everything to prepare for the catastrophe, which is a separate issue, how should I save for retirement assuming I or anyone else has extra money over time?

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

I completely understand what you are saying. My answer (not trying to be sarcastic, but honest) would be to invest in the storage of grains, clothes, medical supplies etc.. Why? Because if you felt the nearness of what is coming,the way I feel it, you would not waste your time investing in a retirement fund. You would invest it in necessities of life that you could use to help others. Items that are of real value when the social order we now know it disassembled and gold and money are useless. What good it a 401k or a truck load of gold, if food is more important?

I am assuming by your honest inquiry about 401k vs gold, you do not feel this type of devastation is that near. If you did, this type of question would not enter your mind. You would realize that the investments you mention are going to both be worthless in a short amount of time.

Even coming from your viewpoint that we still have time to invest in gold or a 401k, I would still invest in the storage of commodities such as grains. If you study what is happening to the global supply and demand, you will see there is not enough to go around. The projections are sobering to say the least. So if one were to invest in the storage of these type of products, he would have the upper hand as the prices skyrocket, and if total meltdown occurs, he really has the upper hand as long as he can control the product.

ready2prepare
captain of 1,000

Post by ready2prepare »

Cowell wrote:..how should I save for retirement assuming I or anyone else has extra money over time?
OK, Cowell, here's one more perspective:

"Retirement" seems to be a cultural bias that we have.
Is "retirement" actually a mandatory part of our existence
here on earth? Would a Fiji Islands fisherman have the
same view of retirement as we do here in America?

Besides,

With all that's gonna be goin' on in the next 20 years,
whose gonna have TIME to retire?????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best Regards,

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

I guess I'll jump into the fray here. From my perspective, it's all a mater of priority. If you've got food storage, medical supplies, and all the necessities of life already covered, then that changes your priorities. Those things are still priorities, but you don't need to focus on them any more, because they're already covered. If you don't, then those things should all be priorities. But if you've got all of that, plus a small farm, sustainable production capability, a small sustainable business that produces a useful and necessary product in any economy, etc. etc., (I agree 100% with ready2prepare), then why not look at gold? If you've got all the other bases covered, and still have more cash that you don't know what to do with, precious metals are probably worth considering. But it's kind of like a food pyramid, and gold and other precious metals are like the sugar and sweets at the top of the pyramid. If you've got everything else in the pyramid, and a solid and sustainable economic foundation in every other way, then there's no reason not to look at gold.

Personally, as a general rule, I put little stock in 401Ks and most other conventional retirement vehicles. But I'm a self-employed businessman, and I would ten times rather own a business capable of producing both a necessary good or service and cash flow in hard times, than a passive 401K that may not produce anything worthwhile, and that I have little, if any, control over. At this point, I'm still working on the rest of the pyramid. I have higher priorities right now than either 401Ks or gold, but I already have a little diversity in both, including some precious metals (not large amounts), and I still believe that's a good idea.

For some time I have been talking and working to some extent, with a man who has an upside down pyramid -- lots of gold and precious metals, etc., -- that he bought along the way to eventually serve as his retirement, but none of the rest of the foundation. He sees what is coming and has been scrambling around (mostly talking) trying to do something about it. Although he is not a member of the Church, he is a good rational thinker, and I think sizing a lot of it up pretty well. He bought a lot of his precious metals so long ago and at such a good price that he's planning to sell when most people are buying. But he is still very interested in diversifying -- and that is the key word here -- DIVERSIFYING -- and stocking up (think more than he needs, with enough to barter, trade, re-sell, etc.) into a variety of commodities and "real goods" -- everything from solar panels and wind generators to large batteries, fuels, grains, and productive, sustainable (food producing) agricultural enterprises. The real question in my mind is -- will he take action in time to make it happen? Or, will he wait too long, holding out for a higher price, and in the end, still have all his precious metals, but nothing to eat.

The vast, vast majority of people will be lucky to be in a position to simply take care of themselves. Some people may be blessed enough to consider a little bigger picture, and do something about it. Most people in that position will still think mostly about themselves -- I guess that's natural.

But there are a whole lot of choices besides just gold and a conventional 401K. And, at least in this country, it is possible to structure a self-directed 401K type instrument that would have the flexibility of accomplishing more than one worthwhile objective(s).

Cowboy
captain of 100

Post by Cowboy »

Coins are where the safety lies. Gold and silver coins will be able to be used for currency in the future. There will e real value and immediate recognition and trading prices and such. Bars and Bullion will have to be traded through a middle man who will take a piece to do their work.
We are headed for a major melt down. Everything is coming together in a perfect storm. China is cooked. Japan is the 2nd largest economy in the world and they are planning on lowering exports ( their lifeblood ) to China and the US next year by 23% to 39%. That is huge. China only produces th9ings to sell to Europe, US, Japan and Australian markets. When no one is buying where do you peddle your goods.
The middle east is going to blow up any day and our economy is screwed. We are still listening to the Obama news machine ( pulling out of the recession now) and not seeing the underpinnings of the disaster ahead. Wait until the new Obama czars and cronies decide to hit the reset button.
KAPOW! ( old Batman graphic )

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Cowell wrote:You're going to have to educate us all more Jason. Still not sure how the dollar increases in value when there is inflation. Isn't the definition of inflation, the fact that the dollar is becoming more diluted as more money is printed, thus less valuable? I know you know your stuff. Just a little confused. You may have to slow down and spell it out one more time for me.
LOL Is there inflation?

Are prices on goods dropping or rising? (assets or personal property taken as a whole i.e. forget the .20 cent increase on gallon of milk and look at the billion dollar decreases in property values - the largest investment most people make during their lifetimes)

When an asset (CRE property - multi millions) is selling at 20 cents on the dollar with relation to the initial purchase or loan price - do you have inflation or deflation? Less money to buy more asset - I'd say that's deflation.

Remember the fear of deflation circulating late 99 / early 00.....thus stimulating Greenspan to lower interest rates to 50 year low....well its here for real this time!

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Cowell wrote:
NoGreaterLove wrote: It sounds like you are pretty sure this economy will eventually turn around, that conditions will not deteriorate to the point of total meltdown economically. Am I right?
I appreciate your question. I do believe there will be or very well could be a complete economic collapse in my lifetime. It could even be soon.
NoGreaterLove wrote: So to invest in anything that you can not eat, wear, keep you in good health, sleep in, keep warm with, or protect yourself with, will be of no value at all in the days ahead.
I really appreciate your suggestions. One of the things I love about the forum is how focused everyone seems to be on preparation for what is to come.

That being said, I refer you to my post above where I explain the purpose of this thread:
http://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtopi ... 016#p90016
cowell wrote: Okay...the question is not...should I buy Gold in place of cooking oil, food, and other necessary items for survival. The question is, should I invest in a 401K or not?
What I am emphasizing on this thread is...I have cash...I need to convert that cash into something else for the longterm (unless Jason comes back and convince me otherwise). How do I explain...

While the economy resembles something partly legitimate, and is more or less functioning (I realize this is debatable...but as long as people continue to use dollars), it does not make sense to use the income I receive to build fires or use it as toilet paper or something...I am going to put it somewhere where I have the best chance of maintaining its value over time. I can't just throw my hands up and do nothing with the money that comes into my bank account...make sense? It is a separate issue from the ultimate economic collapse.

After I invest in everything I could possibly need for survival, what then do I do with the extra cash? Let's hypothetically say anyone on this forum has a bank account with $2 million dollars in it. They also have gas masks, guns, ammunition galore, a couple of generators, a well, a home that can convert into a bomb shelter, cooking oil, a large family garden, a couple of farm animals, an SUV or other 4-wheeler, and whatever else you can think of that might protect them through Armageddon. What should this ingenious person do with the $2 million dollars of cash in their bank account? Assuming the economy has not collapsed yet and they don't need to live off the money for 20 years? Should they put it in a 401K or not? I know it's not a perfect example because with $2 milion dollars it doesn't really matter what you do with it, but you catch my drift I think. I really just want to know the best way to save for retirement or are you suggesting I don't do that?
The only way I would touch a 401k is with an employer matching everything that I put in so I could afford to lose 50% without touching my money.

Trusting Wallstreet is like trusting the Tasmanian devil to guard the chickens!

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

ready2prepare wrote:If I had the extra cash like you describe, I would invest it in a
LOCAL small business with the kind of business plan and owner(s)
that would enable it to not only survive, but thrive during an
economic downturn. Taking that approach, both your family and
your community would benefit over the long term.

It's time we started investing our money on Main Street instead
of sending it off to Wall Street (IMHO).

Best Regards,
Amen! No one will do a better job of protecting your money than you!

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

I agree with Sharon and NGL! Smart sisters!

http://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4373

Chicken farm!

Bob

ready2prepare
captain of 1,000

Post by ready2prepare »

Chicken farm! Yes! And would you believe that
the mayor of this southern town where I live
wants to partner with me and another lady in
setting up a humane, cage-free chicken farm as
part of a community-supported sustainable
agriculture center and farmers market?

We're currently working on the business plan and
lining up the necessary funding, including some
grant money which has come available.

And it all started with "Rooster J and the girls"
(my 7 backyard Rhode Island Reds). BTW: they
know me at City Hall as "The Chicken Lady." :)

Best Regards,

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

ready2prepare wrote:Chicken farm! Yes! And would you believe that
the mayor of this southern town where I live
wants to partner with me and another lady in
setting up a humane, cage-free chicken farm as
part of a community-supported sustainable
agriculture center and farmers market?

We're currently working on the business plan and
lining up the necessary funding, including some
grant money which has come available.

And it all started with "Rooster J and the girls"
(my 7 backyard Rhode Island Reds). BTW: they
know me at City Hall as "The Chicken Lady." :)

Best Regards,
Golden eggs indeed! LOL

Toto
captain of 1,000

Post by Toto »

401k’s, Gold, Silver, or Chickens?

I would suggest silver to be a better store of value than gold. At $1000 for an ounce for gold, if you calculate the ratio at fifteen to one, the relative value of silver is $66.66. But that doesn’t take into account that silver is consumed by industry. If you consider the amounts of gold and silver known to be above ground, the honest value of silver is really about $430 an ounce. My opinion is that silver is way undervalued, and a better store of value than gold, and that the best time to sell silver will be when people start using it as money again. But then, it seems the losing of consciousness is so advanced that the vast majority of people don’t have the critical thinking capacity God gave a chicken.....

Chickens Not Fooled by GM Crops
GM Crops Posted by: Dr. Mercola
September 05 2009

Chickens refusing to eat the maize they had been fed has led to the discovery that their feed had been genetically modified to include a well-known weed and insect killer.

Strilli Oppenheimer’s indigenous African chickens were refusing to eat the mealies in the chicken feed bought from a large supplier. Concerned that the birds may be ingesting genetically modified maize, she had the maize tested.

The results confirmed Oppenheimer's initial suspicion -- the maize had been genetically engineered to produce proteins that are toxic to certain insects and weeds.

About her chickens' refusal to eat their maize, Oppenheimer said: "They're smart."

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... Crops.aspx

Yep, the chicken lady is one smart cookie! And the chickens aren' stupid either. No doubt, if chickens could play the market, they would diversify into steel and lead. :lol:

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

Sharon, if you're going to seriously consider a chicken farm, can I suggest the book "Pastured Poultry Profits" by Joel Salatin? Something else you should know is that the definitive publication on any and all pasture-based industries (including both eggs and meat chickens) is Stockman Grass Farmer, which is published right in your neck of the woods in Mississippi. There is no better source/reference, etc., for sustainable agricultural enterprises. And, if you're talking business -- good ol' money making agricultural business -- no one does a better job addressing it than Alan Nation. Aside from the Ensign, I can't recommend any publication higher than SGF -- especially for anyone with any interest in agriculture.

While I'm at it, I'm going to go ahead and put in a plug for all of Joel Salatin's books. He's got one called "You Can Farm", another called "Family Friendly Farming", another called "Pastured Poultry Profits," and one called "Salad Bar Beef." They are all good, and for anyone interested in doing something in agriculture, together with SGF, they should be considered essentially reading.
Last edited by tmac on September 7th, 2009, 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.