What are some 'keys' held by the First Presidency of the LDS church?

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
AI2.0
captain of 1,000

What are some 'keys' held by the First Presidency of the LDS church?

Post by AI2.0 »

D&C 6:28 Key of gift to bring to light, translate

D&C 7:7 Key of ministry committed to Peter, James and John as well as Key of Melchizedek priesthood

D&C 13:1 Key of ministering of angels and of baptism (Held in Aaronic priesthood)

D&C 27:5 Key of record of stick of Ephraim comitted to Moroni (Book of Mormon)

D&C 27:6 Key of restoration committed to Elias

D&C 27:9 Key of turning hearts of fathers and children commited to Elijah;

D&C 81:2 Keys of the Kingdom given to the First Presidency

D&C 110:11 Keys of gathering of Israel committed to Moses.

D&C 110:16 Key of this dispensation committed to Joseph and Oliver Cowdery

These are just some of the keys which are held by Pres. Thomas S. Monson and the First Presidency of the church of Jesus christ of Latter day saints. The keys reside in this church because they were restored through Joseph Smith Jr. and have been held and exercised by the Prophets of this church in this dispensation since then.

A church organization was necessary in order to exercise these keys properly. The keys and the church were necessary to be restored in order to prepare the world for the second coming of the Lord.

RAB
captain of 100

Re: What are some 'keys' held by the First Presidency of the LDS church?

Post by RAB »

One of the most important keys they have are the keys of sealing. To define keys, keys are what authorize priesthood holders to exercise the priesthood. Keys are how the Lord maintains order in His kingdom. Just look at what happened to the early Christian Church once those with the keys were removed from the equation...chaos. The keys keep Joe Schmoe Melchizedek priesthood holder from thinking he has any authority to use the priesthood to start his own church. He does not hold the keys of gathering, nor of organizing Stakes or wards. That isn't to say he can't start his own church, but he would have no authority to perform any of the saving ordinances, so it would be of little benefit. As such, it is easy to avoid being deceived by those who splinter off from the Church. A person without keys, cannot make any changes to the organization of the Church. For that reason the Lord stated that in the Ordinances of the Priesthood is godliness manifest. We know who to follow...the Lord through those who have the Priesthood keys, as we covenanted in the Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood (D&C Section 84).

"35 And also all they who receive this priesthood receive me, saith the Lord;

36 For he that receiveth my servants receiveth me;

37 And he that receiveth me receiveth my Father;

38 And he that receiveth my Father receiveth my Father’s kingdom; therefore all that my Father hath shall be given unto him."

I remember blessing the sacrament for myself and a couple others in basic training, because I did not understand the principle of priesthood keys. Hopefully the Lord overlooked my ignorance. But to be clear, Priesthood holders may not do any of the following without the one who holds the keys over that priesthood giving the permission:

-Baptize, Confirm, Bless the sacrament, Bless babies, perform any ordinations to priesthood offices, perform any ordinances in the temple, set people apart for callings, dedicate graves, receiving a Patriarchal blessing, etc.

There are only a few priesthood ordinances I know of that do not require the one holding keys to authorize beforehand. Anointing and blessing the sick and afflicted, consecrating oil, giving father's blessings, and dedicating one's home do not require authority from the one holding keys. To me, those all fall under the category of a father exercising his priesthood authority over that which he presides; namely, his home, as well as being able to perform blessings in expedient cases, which would be hampered if it were required to get the priesthood key holder's permission before performing.

The Lord's house is a house of order. In the crazy times in which we live, where society's morals are ever shifting, I am grateful for those who righteously exercise their priesthood keys and lead this Church under inspiration.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Excellent thoughts RAB, thank you for sharing them on the thread, I think understanding the need for keys is something that helps members of the church realize one way our church is different from many others and why we claim authority from God to be able to proclaim we are the only true church on earth.

Yes, the Key of Sealing is important and was not on the list.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

So what you two are saying is that Snuffer, Sosa, Rowe, Menet, Daybell, The Avow-guy, those who preform re-baptisms, bless bread and wine in their non-churches are all false b/c they lack keys to do what they are doing? Got it.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

DesertWonderer wrote: July 5th, 2017, 5:42 pm So what you two are saying is that Snuffer, Sosa, Rowe, Menet, Daybell, The Avow-guy, those who preform re-baptisms, bless bread and wine in their non-churches are all false b/c they lack keys to do what they are doing? Got it.
Those who try to claim authority from God to direct his affairs on earth lack the keys to do so. If they claim to speak for God to the people of the world, I'd say they have no authority to do this, because they don't hold keys to do this and this is not a surprise, since we've been warned of false teachers, false 'christs' and false prophets coming forward in the last days. Especially one like Denver Snuffer, who uses his claim to have seen Jesus Christ and now says he is directed by God to share what he says are God's messages to us; saying that we should change our mode of baptism and our Sacrament ordinance, who says that priesthood should only be exercised by a man who's been 'sustained' by seven women, who does not believe tithing is a commandment, among other things--who claims that the LDS church lost it's keys and that he now holds them--I wonder what he tells his followers, are the keys he 'holds'?

RAB
captain of 100

Post by RAB »

AI2.0 wrote: July 8th, 2017, 6:28 pm
DesertWonderer wrote: July 5th, 2017, 5:42 pm So what you two are saying is that Snuffer, Sosa, Rowe, Menet, Daybell, The Avow-guy, those who preform re-baptisms, bless bread and wine in their non-churches are all false b/c they lack keys to do what they are doing? Got it.
Those who try to claim authority from God to direct his affairs on earth lack the keys to do so. If they claim to speak for God to the people of the world, I'd say they have no authority to do this, because they don't hold keys to do this and this is not a surprise, since we've been warned of false teachers, false 'christs' and false prophets coming forward in the last days. Especially one like Denver Snuffer, who uses his claim to have seen Jesus Christ and now says he is directed by God to share what he says are God's messages to us; saying that we should change our mode of baptism and our Sacrament ordinance, who says that priesthood should only be exercised by a man who's been 'sustained' by seven women, who does not believe tithing is a commandment, among other things--who claims that the LDS church lost it's keys and that he now holds them--I wonder what he tells his followers, are the keys he 'holds'?
The keys of deception.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

What does 7 women have to do with anything?

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Arenera wrote: July 10th, 2017, 9:16 am
What does 7 women have to do with anything?
Good question. Denver Snuffer told his followers that some LDS men (after a certain point in time) could not exercise priesthood unless they were 'sustained' by seven women. If he ever explained why, I am not aware of the explanation. I think his 'inspiration' came from the scripture in Isaiah about seven women taking hold of one man.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

RAB wrote: July 10th, 2017, 9:04 am
The keys of deception.
That would seem to be right. ;)

After his excommunication, Denver Snuffer claimed that he was given the keys that were held by President Monson and the Quorum of 12 Apostles. However, up to that point, Snuffer's message seemed to be one that no one should hold authority--that this was 'the arm of flesh' to have to listen to and heed the counsel of 'prophets' and that instead, he encouraged his listeners to go directly to Christ for counsel and guidance.
Sounds like a good idea, except it ignores the fact that Satan is working to deceive us whenever possible.

Before his Excomm., Snuffer seemed to encourage only two ways to find truth--reading scriptures and receiving inspiration from the Holy Ghost, or 'Christ'. He rejected listening to and heeding the counsel of Prophets--rejecting them as the Lord's servants on earth. This sets him and his followers up for being deceived because they cannot be sure what 'spirit' is influencing them. Since they've thrown out the need for listening to the Prophets, then they don't evaluate the messages they receive, to make sure they are in harmony with the Prophets' messages. And we've seen the outcome or 'fruits' of this. Many have left the church, violating covenants and ignoring commandments.

And, the biggest irony is that with Snuffer's recent actions (which started with his 'wresting the keys') of putting out new 'scripture' and claiming that Christ has given him the name 'David' (which has caused many to think that he is the foretold 'Davidic Servant' or the 'one mighty and strong'), there is no question that Denver Snuffer is setting himself up as a prophet--THE Prophet to the world, since he claims to hold the keys. And amazingly, his followers, who will attack LDS for 'following a man' are now doing the exact thing they condemned in LDS--they are now following their own 'prophet'. It's amazing how far people fall when they reject real truth--but Alma 12:10-11 tells us why this phenomenon happens. Also, they've even now rejected basic truths such as a need for Apostles and a formal organized church, since Snuffer has used his intellect and skills to manipulate and twist scripture to say these are not needed. Slowly but carefully, they've followed this man out of the Lord's true church and into just another break off sect, with it's own false prophet and it's own set of false doctrines.

This is not new, it's been happening throughout the Church's history, but it's still tragic to watch and to know the misery and lost blessings that eventually will come from rejecting the true church to follow after a false one.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

AI2.0 wrote: July 10th, 2017, 10:25 am
RAB wrote: July 10th, 2017, 9:04 am
The keys of deception.
That would seem to be right. ;)

After his excommunication, Denver Snuffer claimed that he was given the keys that were held by President Monson and the Quorum of 12 Apostles. However, up to that point, Snuffer's message seemed to be one that no one should hold authority--that this was 'the arm of flesh' to have to listen to and heed the counsel of 'prophets' and that instead, he encouraged his listeners to go directly to Christ for counsel and guidance.
Sounds like a good idea, except it ignores the fact that Satan is working to deceive us whenever possible.

Before his Excomm., Snuffer seemed to encourage only two ways to find truth--reading scriptures and receiving inspiration from the Holy Ghost, or 'Christ'. He rejected listening to and heeding the counsel of Prophets--rejecting them as the Lord's servants on earth. This sets him and his followers up for being deceived because they cannot be sure what 'spirit' is influencing them. Since they've thrown out the need for listening to the Prophets, then they don't evaluate the messages they receive, to make sure they are in harmony with the Prophets' messages. And we've seen the outcome or 'fruits' of this. Many have left the church, violating covenants and ignoring commandments.

And, the biggest irony is that with Snuffer's recent actions (which started with his 'wresting the keys') of putting out new 'scripture' and claiming that Christ has given him the name 'David' (which has caused many to think that he is the foretold 'Davidic Servant' or the 'one mighty and strong'), there is no question that Denver Snuffer is setting himself up as a prophet--THE Prophet to the world, since he claims to hold the keys. And amazingly, his followers, who will attack LDS for 'following a man' are now doing the exact thing they condemned in LDS--they are now following their own 'prophet'. It's amazing how far people fall when they reject real truth--but Alma 12:10-11 tells us why this phenomenon happens. Also, they've even now rejected basic truths such as a need for Apostles and a formal organized church, since Snuffer has used his intellect and skills to manipulate and twist scripture to say these are not needed. Slowly but carefully, they've followed this man out of the Lord's true church and into just another break off sect, with it's own false prophet and it's own set of false doctrines.

This is not new, it's been happening throughout the Church's history, but it's still tragic to watch and to know the misery and lost blessings that eventually will come from rejecting the true church to follow after a false one.
I watched a documentary on Warren Jeffs. He was molesting children early on. They even had a tape where he had sex with a 12 year old wife in their temple in Texas. His followers still follow him.

How do you know Denver Snuffer? Is that a real name? It seems "underdog" poster really likes him. If it is like Warren, his followers will keep on following.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Arenera, just google Denver Snuffer - yes, that's his real name. He's written several books, and has a blog, etc.

For whoever was asking about his "seven wives for seven brothers", er, wait... no, "seven women for a man to get the priesthood" (makes so much more sense, yes? :-? #-o ) - here's where Snuffer explains all that (among other things... @-) ) - http://denversnuffer.com/wp/wp-content/ ... t-edit.pdf

And here - https://latterdaycommentary.com/2015/05 ... r-snuffer/

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

Yes it is his real name. I used to drive by his law office with his name on the sign out front.