The Hastening Over?

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Sunain
captain of 1,000

The Hastening Over?

Post by Sunain »

LDS Congregational Growth Significantly Decelerates in the United States
The Church in the United States has experienced significant deceleration in regards to increases in the number of congregations (e.g. ward and branch) thus far in 2017. Currently the Church in the United States reports a net increase of only 11 congregations thus far in 2017. To contrast, the Church in the United States reported an annual net increase of 65 congregations in 2016, 142 congregations in 2015, 152 congregations in 2014, and 124 congregations in 2013. Historically, the Church in the United States has generally reported a net increase 30-50 congregations during the first four months of the year, and a net increase of 100-150 congregations per year.

A decrease in the rate that new congregations have been organized appears primarily responsible for decelerating congregational growth rates in the United States thus far in 2017. Additionally, the rate that congregations have been consolidated or closed has remained consistent, resulting in smaller net increases in the number of congregations. The Church has also emphasized better utilization of church meetinghouses in the United States and other areas of the world. As a result, the Church has encouraged larger numbers of congregations to share the same meetinghouse and for congregations to have larger numbers of active members in order to conserve meetinghouse maintenance and building costs. For example, in some areas the Church is striving for sacrament meeting attendance to comprise at least 75% of seating available in a meetinghouse. Consequently, the Church has combined smaller congregations in order to reduce the number of meetinghouses needed.

The Church in the United States has also appeared to baptize fewer converts and report a lower birth rate as evidenced by slowing annual membership growth rates. The increasing influence of secularism on American society, particularly in the western United States, appears primarily responsible for these trends. LDS membership in the United States increased by a mere 0.93% during 2016 - the lowest in nearly 30 years. Rates for member resignation, excommunication, and deaths have appeared to be constant during the past few years based upon reports I have received from local and regional church leaders in several areas of the United States. Thus, the Church has reported smaller net increases in the number of members on its records for the United States.
It seems the missionary push of 2012-2013 was a last major hurrah. The number of new congregations per year in the USA between 2015 and 2016 is quite staggering! A 50% drop. 2016 to 2017 is looking to be another 50% drop, probably ending around 35 new units. At least it's still growth!

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Re: The Hastening Over?

Post by e-eye2.0 »

I don't think the hastening was about baptizing more but it was about spreading the gospel in one big effort as things wrapped up. The change in wards can be a bit skewed. One reason where the data could be a little different than most years is due to some areas reducing the size of their wards - this happened in AZ. Last year they reduced stakes and in some stakes that split up wards for smaller wards closer to 150 sacrament attendance. So last year you may have seen more not due to growth but to reduction in size of wards. I don't know how much this affects the overall number.

I do think you are correct though as baptism have gone down in the US and the trend is continuing. Wickedness is increasing - We actually may see a day where more people flee to the church but right now it seems like the majority of the people in the US don't want religion. We could see the winding up scenes of the hastening of the work soon or possibly could be witnessing it now.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

e-eye2.0 wrote: May 17th, 2017, 12:47 pm I don't think the hastening was about baptizing more but it was about spreading the gospel in one big effort as things wrapped up.
Yeah, true. The hastening is also about genealogical work like indexing, temple work, temple construction and spiritual growth among other things. The global trend in the last few years has really been anti-religion. Secularism seems to be the explosive growth area now. The church is still growing worldwide but I don't know if I'd classify it as hastened growth now. Canada also seems to be stagnant in growth just like the United States. Doesn't look good for the promised land when they don't even want to listen to the gospel message.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

Sunain wrote: May 17th, 2017, 12:34 pm LDS Congregational Growth Significantly Decelerates in the United States
The Church in the United States has experienced significant deceleration in regards to increases in the number of congregations (e.g. ward and branch) thus far in 2017. Currently the Church in the United States reports a net increase of only 11 congregations thus far in 2017. To contrast, the Church in the United States reported an annual net increase of 65 congregations in 2016, 142 congregations in 2015, 152 congregations in 2014, and 124 congregations in 2013. Historically, the Church in the United States has generally reported a net increase 30-50 congregations during the first four months of the year, and a net increase of 100-150 congregations per year.

A decrease in the rate that new congregations have been organized appears primarily responsible for decelerating congregational growth rates in the United States thus far in 2017. Additionally, the rate that congregations have been consolidated or closed has remained consistent, resulting in smaller net increases in the number of congregations. The Church has also emphasized better utilization of church meetinghouses in the United States and other areas of the world. As a result, the Church has encouraged larger numbers of congregations to share the same meetinghouse and for congregations to have larger numbers of active members in order to conserve meetinghouse maintenance and building costs. For example, in some areas the Church is striving for sacrament meeting attendance to comprise at least 75% of seating available in a meetinghouse. Consequently, the Church has combined smaller congregations in order to reduce the number of meetinghouses needed.

The Church in the United States has also appeared to baptize fewer converts and report a lower birth rate as evidenced by slowing annual membership growth rates. The increasing influence of secularism on American society, particularly in the western United States, appears primarily responsible for these trends. LDS membership in the United States increased by a mere 0.93% during 2016 - the lowest in nearly 30 years. Rates for member resignation, excommunication, and deaths have appeared to be constant during the past few years based upon reports I have received from local and regional church leaders in several areas of the United States. Thus, the Church has reported smaller net increases in the number of members on its records for the United States.
It seems the missionary push of 2012-2013 was a last major hurrah. The number of new congregations per year in the USA between 2015 and 2016 is quite staggering! A 50% drop. 2016 to 2017 is looking to be another 50% drop, probably ending around 35 new units. At least it's still growth!

I have seen the SAME TREND. We're pretty close. But there's still many Gentiles who will get to hear the gospel and who WANT the gospel. But we are close, my friend...

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Putting the Church and its prophecies (a young lion tearing through the Gentiles) aside for a moment, birth rates are down in much of the "civilized" world which kinda sorta includes the US/Canada. There are still vast resources in both countries. If the current population can't maintain control of those resources, via, for example, strong borders and natural growth of citizenship, then it is only natural that others will come and take them. I consider land one example of resources. There are Mexican-American members of the Church in my dad's old ward in Houston who jokingly told him, "The Americans started a war and took Mexican land in Texas. Now Mexicans are buying the land back one house at a time." It's partially true, isn't it?

Of course, some of the Mexicans settling in the US now (legally or illegally) may be members of the Church, but surely most are not. Thus, Church membership ratios (vis-a-vis total believers) are lessened by that form of immigration.

I too believe the hastening is over or at least it's not talked about as much as it once was. I originally thought that when The Hastening was over, it would be time for The Tribulations. I guess we still have a while to go. Things seem like they could fall apart any time, but they just keep on going.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

Silver wrote: May 17th, 2017, 2:17 pm I guess we still have a while to go. Things seem like they could fall apart any time, but they just keep on going.
Yes, we do have some time. Probably about 13 years or so. But once it hits the fan, no-one and nothing can go back and repent...

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

There has been slowing growth too in Latin America (though much improved retention). Where the Church is accelerating in growth without a doubt is Africa. There are now more congregations in Nigeria than Canada, a fact staggering considering Nigeria didn´t even have a single branch until 39 years ago.

In what has happened this year, Nigeria has quadrupled the USA in raw numbers of congregational growth. Not only percentages but raw numbers.

Ghana and Ivory Coast are also exploding at the seams. Ghana closes in on 300 wards and congregations. Ivory Coast didn´t have a single branch until the late 80s, they now have over 200 wards and branches.

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

Congregations by world: ward = 0.2, branch = 0.1

Based off a mimimum stake qualification of 5 wards = 1.0.

1 USA 2662.1
2 BRAZIL 369.4
3 MEXICO 356.8
4 PHILLIPINES 184.0
5 PERU 136.2
6 ARGENTINA 125.1
7 CHILE 103.4
8 NIGERIA 85.8
9 CANADA 84.2
10 GUATEMALA 71.1
11 UK 60.9
12 AUSTRALIA 53.7
13 ECUADOR 53.6
14 VENEZUELA 44.3
15 BOLIVIA 43.4

Ghana is right behind Bolivia at 42.8

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

samizdat wrote: May 17th, 2017, 3:30 pm There has been slowing growth too in Latin America (though much improved retention). Where the Church is accelerating in growth without a doubt is Africa. There are now more congregations in Nigeria than Canada, a fact staggering considering Nigeria didn´t even have a single branch until 39 years ago.

In what has happened this year, Nigeria has quadrupled the USA in raw numbers of congregational growth. Not only percentages but raw numbers.

Ghana and Ivory Coast are also exploding at the seams. Ghana closes in on 300 wards and congregations. Ivory Coast didn´t have a single branch until the late 80s, they now have over 200 wards and branches.
A sign that the days of the Gentiles are numbered.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

shadow wrote: May 17th, 2017, 4:53 pm
samizdat wrote: May 17th, 2017, 3:30 pm There has been slowing growth too in Latin America (though much improved retention). Where the Church is accelerating in growth without a doubt is Africa. There are now more congregations in Nigeria than Canada, a fact staggering considering Nigeria didn´t even have a single branch until 39 years ago.

What about North Africa and the nations we haven't preached in yet?

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Z2100 wrote: May 17th, 2017, 5:47 pm

I don't consider them as Gentile nation's, but maybe they are, I'm not sure. I always figured Europe and North America were the Gentile nations.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

shadow wrote: May 17th, 2017, 6:21 pm

I don't consider them as Gentile nation's, but maybe they are, I'm not sure. I always figured Europe and North America were the Gentile nations.
As for Europe, North America AND 2/3 of Asia, I think you're right. I've concluded that the African nations that have no official membership or have high convert retention rates are probably the heathen nations. When you look at the map, you will see that most of North Africa is pink and Africa's surrounding islands are too. Nearly all of these African nations are muslim. Proof?: http://www.cumorah.com/index.php
Attachments
This is the current status of the church worldwide
This is the current status of the church worldwide
LDS Church in 6924 (2017).png (1.62 MiB) Viewed 3216 times

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

I understood the church was about to increase rapidly in Asia, faster than it did in Central and South America I can't find the article I read maybe a year or two ago on LDS.org, but here is another talking about Asia and growth.

https://www.lds.org/church/news/the-chu ... s?lang=eng

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Michelle wrote: May 17th, 2017, 7:59 pm I understood the church was about to increase rapidly in Asia, faster than it did in Central and South America I can't find the article I read maybe a year or two ago on LDS.org, but here is another talking about Asia and growth.

https://www.lds.org/church/news/the-chu ... s?lang=eng
I find it sad that Japan is not even mentioned in the article. I spilled a lot of sweat and tears for Japan. Neither Korea gets a shout-out either.

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

Z2100 wrote:
shadow wrote: May 17th, 2017, 4:53 pm A sign that the days of the Gentiles are numbered.

As for Europe, North America AND 2/3 of Asia, I think you're right. I've concluded that the African nations that have no official membership or have high convert retention rates are probably the heathen nations. When you look at the map, you will see that most of North Africa is pink and Africa's surrounding islands are too. Nearly all of these African nations are muslim. Proof?: http://www.cumorah.com/index.php
Of those pink areas I can say the following:

Bahrain: A branch exists there, mostly expats.
Jordan: The Amman District exists there, covering the Cairo branch in Egypt and the three Jordanian branches, one of which is Arabic.
Syria: A branch exists in Damascus, plus groups in Latakia and Aleppo.
Iraq: Three groups exist in the Kurdistan region: Sulamaniyah, Erbil, Dahok.
Iran: No congregations now, but there was a mission based in Tehran briefly before the Islamic Revolution. There were branches in Tehran, Shiraz, and another city.
Afghanistan: One branch remains, mostly of military personnel.
Pakistan: Three districts, one of which is nearing stakehood. Roughly 5,000 members and is covered by the India New Delhi mission. Only Pakistanis serve missions in their home country.
Nepal: A branch exists in Kathmandu. One of the brothers in Meet the Mormons, is from there.
Dhaka: A branch exists in Dakka. A missionary was recently called from there. Administered by the New Delhi mission.
Myanmar: A branch exists in Rangoon. A group is thought to exist in Mandalay.
Laos: Two branches in the capital of Vientiane.
North Korea: Covered by the Asia North Area, no members or branches present. A few North Koreans thought to have been baptized in Vladivostok Russia.
Kyrgyzstan: Dedicated for missionary work. Group thought to exist in Bishkek. No missionaries there at present.
Tajikistan: Covered by Central Eurasian Mission. No known members.
Uzbekistan: Covered by Central Eurasian Mission. No known members.
Turkmenistan: Covered by Central Eurasian Mission. No known members.
Azerbaijan: One group or maybe branch thought to exist in Baku, mostly American Embassy personnel.
Libya, Tunisia: Previously held administrative branches. Not known if they continue.
Algeria: No known members.
Morocco: Two branches: Rabat and Casa Blanca.
Western Sahara: No known members.
Mauritania: Idem.
Gambia: No known members.
Guinea Bissau: A group functions there.
Guinea: A group functions there. Process of being opened up from Ivory Coast Mission.
Mali: A branch functions there in the hometown of Yeah Samake.
Burkina Faso: A few members near Bolgatanga Ghana where a branch is.
Niger: No known members.
Chad: A few known members. Group might exist. Belongs to Africa West Area
Sudan: Briefly open to missionaries in the south, before South Sudan broke off.
Eritrea, Djibouti, Somalia: No known members.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Consolidation of Church units: some reflections
by Wilfried Decoo • May 18, 2017

Last month more than half of the Church units in Flanders were closed (Flanders is the Dutch-speaking, northern part of Belgium, with a population of 6.5 million). We shrank from 9 wards and branches to just 4. Historic cities like Bruges and Louvain lost their Mormon meeting place. It’s part of the major “contraction” of the Church in Europe, rumored to dismantle 800 of the some 1200 units. If what happened in Flanders is symptomatic for the rest, the proportion is confirmed.

These original 9 units in Flanders are part of a stake, the Antwerp Belgium Stake, that also covers a southern area of the Netherlands, with 5 units, of which only one was closed. For the whole stake, it means that of its 14 original units (9 in Flanders and 5 in the Netherlands), 8 remain (4 in Flanders and 4 in the Netherlands).

Full Article at: http://www.timesandseasons.org/index.ph ... flections/
This is a very long article on the site but do read it. It brings up a lot of issues that many countries of the world are currently having right now dealing with the church's organization of units. Many countries in Europe are now facing car day restrictions. Remember seeing this talked about on Top Gear UK over the past few years. That's not a notion were used to here in North America. It seems to be affecting Sunday's a lot which makes it harder for people to get to church. President Bednar noted in a talk a couple years ago that the way church would be held would change (wish I could find that link again). Perhaps we're starting to see that now with the consolidation.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

Sunain wrote: May 17th, 2017, 12:34 pm LDS Congregational Growth Significantly Decelerates in the United States

I wonder if the two new wards in our Stake, (created out of giant wards) count as "growth" of units.

Happened January 1st. We re-aligned boundaries to make two new wards, over all the stake has only been having a dozen convert baptism per year. The giant sized wards had been that big for the last five years. Stake President said he was "right-sizing" the wards so more people could serve.

Now we are having new subdivisions being built and local Mormons are moving into them, so over all out Stake is growing.... but at a cost of some other stakes losing members...
Last edited by JK4Woods on May 23rd, 2017, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Yeah, some wards have grown quickly and are at 600+, and they have to wait for approval to split.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

LDS Church merges missions in Russia less than one year after changes due to Russian law
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will merge two missions in Russia starting July 1, according to a statement from the First Presidency of the church.

“The First Presidency announces that effective July 1, the Russia Vladivostok Mission will be merged with the Russia Novosibirsk Mission,” the statement from the church said. “Doing so will require fewer volunteers to staff the combined mission.”

In anticipation of the change, volunteers from the Vladivostok Mission who were to be released in July will be returning home in late May. Volunteers who would have returned home in August will be reassigned and complete their service in missions in the United States.

“President and Sister Perkinson, who have presided over the Russia Vladivostok Mission for the past two years, have been released,” the statement continues. “We are grateful for their years of faithful service.”

According to the church, the Europe East Area Presidency, led by Elder James B. Martino, General Authority Seventy, will supervise the combining of the two missions.

Over the past year the LDS Church has seen many changes on how service is offered in Russia. On July 20, 2016 a new law went into effect concerning missionary work. Missionaries are now referred to as volunteers and do a variety of service functions during their time of service.

KurtTheMormon
captain of 100

Post by KurtTheMormon »

Z2100 wrote: May 17th, 2017, 6:46 pm

Interesting. These probably indeed ARE the heathen nations mentioned in the Bible/Book of Mormon.

shotx
captain of 50

Post by shotx »

To the extent that the "hastening" is a stand-alone event with a defined beginning and end, I don't think it is over. I think it has actually barely even warmed up.

We tend to have provincial bias in the US, and especially Utah. What we see first hand becomes the narrative we apply to everything, everywhere. But, that's our view, not God's.

There are still massive swaths of the Earth and it's population that have not been "reaped," so to speak. Billions live in places where the church and the gospel have had virtually no access in this dispensation, or any other. Those people aren't just faceless masses that can be boxed into a convenient spiritual category and set aside. They are Heavenly Father's children, and he will be just as attentive and concerned with them, as with any of us.

I believe there are still decades of missionary efforts to be made, temples to be built, and political and social walls to be torn down. The statistical measures of growth will cycle. Things will pick up in some places, and decline in others. But, as far as my lifespan perspective goes, I don't think we're even close to the work wrapping up.

ZiffZelph
Hi, I'm new.

Post by ZiffZelph »

samizdat wrote: May 18th, 2017, 3:56 pm
Z2100 wrote:

Jordan: The Amman District exists there, covering the Cairo branch in Egypt and the three Jordanian branches, one of which is Arabic.
Iran: No congregations now, but there was a mission based in Tehran briefly before the Islamic Revolution. There were branches in Tehran, Shiraz, and another city.
Pakistan: Three districts, one of which is nearing stakehood. Roughly 5,000 members and is covered by the India New Delhi mission. Only Pakistanis serve missions in their home country.
Nepal: A branch exists in Kathmandu. One of the brothers in Meet the Mormons, is from there.
Dhaka: A branch exists in Dakka. A missionary was recently called from there. Administered by the New Delhi mission.
North Korea: Covered by the Asia North Area, no members or branches present. A few North Koreans thought to have been baptized in Vladivostok Russia.
Kyrgyzstan: Dedicated for missionary work. Group thought to exist in Bishkek. No missionaries there at present.
Azerbaijan: One group or maybe branch thought to exist in Baku, mostly American Embassy personnel.
Libya, Tunisia: Previously held administrative branches. Not known if they continue.
Guinea: A group functions there. Process of being opened up from Ivory Coast Mission.
Wow! How did you come by all of this information???

ZiffZelph
Hi, I'm new.

Post by ZiffZelph »

Z2100 wrote: May 17th, 2017, 2:23 pm
Silver wrote: May 17th, 2017, 2:17 pm I guess we still have a while to go. Things seem like they could fall apart any time, but they just keep on going.
Yes, we do have some time. Probably about 13 years or so. But once it hits the fan, no-one and nothing can go back and repent...
Honest question no strings attached. I'm not really working off a timeline so where do you feel the hastening/end of the hastening puts us in the timeline for the winding up scene, or second coming.

Thanks!

S.M.I.L.E.
"Remember to be carnally-minded is death, and to be spiritually-minded is life eternal (2 Ne. 9:39)

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

ZiffZelph wrote: June 8th, 2017, 2:20 am
Z2100 wrote: May 17th, 2017, 2:23 pm
Honest question no strings attached. I'm not really working off a timeline so where do you feel the hastening/end of the hastening puts us in the timeline for the winding up scene, or second coming.
Doctrine and covenants section 88 really gives us the outline.
73 Behold, I will hasten my work in its time.
Verse73 is being fulfilled​ and seems to be wrapping up.
88 And after your testimony cometh wrath and indignation upon the people.

89 For after your testimony cometh the testimony of earthquakes, that shall cause groanings in the midst of her, and men shall fall upon the ground and shall not be able to stand.

90 And also cometh the testimony of the voice of thunderings, and the voice of lightnings, and the voice of tempests, and the voice of the waves of the sea heaving themselves beyond their bounds.

91 And all things shall be in commotion; and surely, men’s hearts shall fail them; for fear shall come upon all people.
This is what comes next for us. We can already see the Gentiles rejecting religion at unprecedented​ levels. Some of the biggest earthquakes and tsunamis in recorded modern history have already occured.

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

ZiffZelph wrote: June 8th, 2017, 1:52 am
samizdat wrote: May 18th, 2017, 3:56 pm
Z2100 wrote:

Wow! How did you come by all of this information???
There are several web sites on LDS Church growth plus mission blogs. ldschurchgrowth.blogspot.com and ldschurchtemples.com/statistics/units help out a bit. There are approximately 100 branches marked sensitive. Some other information I had from word of mouth; the Pakistan information came from a sister from Rawalpindi serving on Temple Square a few years back, complete with Pakistani flag. Her companion was an Israeli with an Israeli flag.

Only in Mormonism would it be possible to make that work.