Vaughn J. Featherstone's vision for the southern U.S.

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
tjtax06
captain of 50

Vaughn J. Featherstone's vision for the southern U.S.

Post by tjtax06 »

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
The First Quorum of the Seventy
47 East South Temple Street
Salt Lake City, Utah 84130

To my beloved fellow saints in the twenty-first century,

God bless you. We love you. We are grateful to you for your great faith in Christ. Many of you have probably lived through the darkest period in the history of the world. Those of you who read this letter have witnessed the second coming of Christ, the day for which we have long awaited. What a glorious experience to live in the day when our Lord, our Redeemer, the very Son of God is reigning personally upon the earth.

We can imagine what General Conference must be like, to have the Savior address the people. My thoughts entertain such questions as, will there still be wards and stakes? Will the Lord hold area conferences and solemn assemblies? Have those of you reading this letter been visited by Him? My heart and soul seem nigh to be consumed at the very thought. In 3rd Nephi Chapter 17 the people looked “steadfastly upon him as if they would ask him to tarry a little longer with them.” Oh what a blessed generation you are and must be.

My calling in the Church is a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy. When the First Quorum of the Seventy in this dispensation was organized, I was privileged to be called into it. Previous to that time I had served as a second counselor in the Presiding Bishopric. The Church is organized in a way that members of the First Quorum of the Seventy supervise the areas of the earth under the direction of the Twelve Apostles. I am the Executive Administrator (the supervisor) for the South Central Area of the United States. This area includes Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and parts of Kentucky, Missouri, and Virginia. The temple is in the area I supervise. We have in this area, as presently organized, 44 stakes, 12 regions, and 9 missions.

There is a great satanic thrust, both by enemies of the Church from other religions and apostates who are filled with lies, deceit, and insidious evils. But they nor all the hosts of Satan can stop this work. We are seeing modern-day bands of Gadianton Robbers. I believe we are on the very threshold of great trials. The darkest clouds in the history of the world are on the horizon. They are being driven with fierce satanic winds in our direction. Earthquakes, famine, pestilences, disease, plagues will soon be upon us but we trust in our God and He will spare us and take us under his wings.

The Atlanta Temple is the first temple in the South. I can see temples in Charlotte, Columbia, Birmingham, Jackson, Nashville, and in Louisiana and Arkansas.

We now have more than 110,000 members of the Church in this area. I can see in my minds eye great hosts of converts to exceed a million members in the South. We will baptize people in the tens of thousands. These members, traditional Protestant and Catholic – Christians are being prepared right now. We will baptize “pivotal” leaders and their influence will reach out. Non-members will want to know about the Church. These people will call the missionaries and will desire to be taught. The missionaries will be teaching large groups from early morning until late at night. Entire congregations will accept this message. Ten times tens of thousands will be baptized into the Lord’s true Church. I know that the spirit of the Lord is brooding over the South. You who are reading this letter are witnesses to my words.

And should this letter come to the attention of our Lord who is reigning personally upon the earth, I have these words. Dear Jesus, I love you. You are most precious and dear to me. My life has been committed to Thy work. I have loved you and defended you with all my heart. I would give my life for you. You mean everything to me and my family. Thanks for answering so many of my prayers. Thanks for the magnificent atonement. Thanks for your love and compassion. You know my heart and you know that I love you. I have tried to prove worthy as an especial witness of you. Thank you for the holy call to serve as one of Thy General Authorities. Possibly we will have had an interview as I later will have passed from this life. If so, then I can tell you personally that I adore you and will worship you for time and all eternity and I will see you again there.

Farewell beloved saints and citizens, until we all meet in eternity.
Faithfully and eternally yours,
Vaughn J. Featherstone,
First Quorum of the Seventy
and Executive Administrator
I remember being a boy attending a scout jamboree in Idaho where Brother Featherstone was the speaker for our Sunday service. He talked about this letter and about how he placed this letter in a 50 year time capsule associated with the dedication of the Atlanta temple. He said before he wrote the letter he prayed and fasted for direction on what to write. What he wrote was what he felt inspired by the spirit. Even though it was inspired he felt nervous about the contents so he sent a draft to the 1st Presidency who after reviewing it sent it back to him saying everything looked fine.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Vaughn J. Featherstone's vision for the southern U.S.

Post by Elizabeth »

What was the date of the dedication of the Atlanta Temple?

tjtax06
captain of 50

Post by tjtax06 »

Elizabeth wrote: May 11th, 2017, 4:16 pm What was the date of the dedication of the Atlanta Temple?
June 1983

JT1
captain of 10

Post by JT1 »

tjtax06 wrote: May 11th, 2017, 3:33 pm

God bless you. We love you. We are grateful to you for your great faith in Christ. Many of you have probably lived through the darkest period in the history of the world. Those of you who read this letter have witnessed the second coming of Christ, the day for which we have long awaited. What a glorious experience to live in the day when our Lord, our Redeemer, the very Son of God is reigning personally upon the earth.

We can imagine what General Conference must be like, to have the Savior address the people. My thoughts entertain such questions as, will there still be wards and stakes? Will the Lord hold area conferences and solemn assemblies? Have those of you reading this letter been visited by Him? My heart and soul seem nigh to be consumed at the very thought. In 3rd Nephi Chapter 17 the people looked “steadfastly upon him as if they would ask him to tarry a little longer with them.” Oh what a blessed generation you are and must be.

My calling in the Church is a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy. When the First Quorum of the Seventy in this dispensation was organized, I was privileged to be called into it. Previous to that time I had served as a second counselor in the Presiding Bishopric. The Church is organized in a way that members of the First Quorum of the Seventy supervise the areas of the earth under the direction of the Twelve Apostles. I am the Executive Administrator (the supervisor) for the South Central Area of the United States. This area includes Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and parts of Kentucky, Missouri, and Virginia. The temple is in the area I supervise. We have in this area, as presently organized, 44 stakes, 12 regions, and 9 missions.

There is a great satanic thrust, both by enemies of the Church from other religions and apostates who are filled with lies, deceit, and insidious evils. But they nor all the hosts of Satan can stop this work. We are seeing modern-day bands of Gadianton Robbers. I believe we are on the very threshold of great trials. The darkest clouds in the history of the world are on the horizon. They are being driven with fierce satanic winds in our direction. Earthquakes, famine, pestilences, disease, plagues will soon be upon us but we trust in our God and He will spare us and take us under his wings.

The Atlanta Temple is the first temple in the South. I can see temples in Charlotte, Columbia, Birmingham, Jackson, Nashville, and in Louisiana and Arkansas.

We now have more than 110,000 members of the Church in this area. I can see in my minds eye great hosts of converts to exceed a million members in the South. We will baptize people in the tens of thousands. These members, traditional Protestant and Catholic – Christians are being prepared right now. We will baptize “pivotal” leaders and their influence will reach out. Non-members will want to know about the Church. These people will call the missionaries and will desire to be taught. The missionaries will be teaching large groups from early morning until late at night. Entire congregations will accept this message. Ten times tens of thousands will be baptized into the Lord’s true Church. I know that the spirit of the Lord is brooding over the South. You who are reading this letter are witnesses to my words.

And should this letter come to the attention of our Lord who is reigning personally upon the earth, I have these words. Dear Jesus, I love you. You are most precious and dear to me. My life has been committed to Thy work. I have loved you and defended you with all my heart. I would give my life for you. You mean everything to me and my family. Thanks for answering so many of my prayers. Thanks for the magnificent atonement. Thanks for your love and compassion. You know my heart and you know that I love you. I have tried to prove worthy as an especial witness of you. Thank you for the holy call to serve as one of Thy General Authorities. Possibly we will have had an interview as I later will have passed from this life. If so, then I can tell you personally that I adore you and will worship you for time and all eternity and I will see you again there.

Vaughn J. Featherstone,
I remember being a boy attending a scout jamboree in Idaho where Brother Featherstone was the speaker for our Sunday service. He talked about this letter and about how he placed this letter in a 50 year time capsule associated with the dedication of the Atlanta temple. He said before he wrote the letter he prayed and fasted for direction on what to write. What he wrote was what he felt inspired by the spirit. Even though it was inspired he felt nervous about the contents so he sent a draft to the 1st Presidency who after reviewing it sent it back to him saying everything looked fine.
Thanks for posting. What's your source for this letter?

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

It's about 2.5 hours, 170 miles between Charlotte and Raleigh.

tjtax06
captain of 50

Post by tjtax06 »

JT1 wrote: May 11th, 2017, 5:32 pm

Vaughn J. Featherstone,
Thanks for posting. What's your source for this letter?
My first source is that I'm heard him say it myself. ;-)

Here's another source though: https://yourfriendlymormonneighbor.word ... therstone/

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

tjtax06 wrote: May 11th, 2017, 4:30 pm
Elizabeth wrote: May 11th, 2017, 4:16 pm What was the date of the dedication of the Atlanta Temple?
June 1983
I was there :)

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

So you are a David Horne wanna be? Awesome.

tjtax06
captain of 50

Post by tjtax06 »

DesertWonderer wrote: May 12th, 2017, 10:56 am So you are a David Horne wanna be? Awesome.
I don't know what that is supposed to mean. I just thought I'd share something that I felt was interesting.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

tjtax06 wrote: May 12th, 2017, 1:55 pm
DesertWonderer wrote: May 12th, 2017, 10:56 am So you are a David Horne wanna be? Awesome.
I don't know what that is supposed to mean. I just thought I'd share something that I felt was interesting.
In 1982 or '83, Elder Featherstone spoke at a Single Adult Conference I attended. He gave what I considered very practical advice. I later met a few of his sons and found them to be honorable guys. I can see Elder Featherstone writing the letter in your original post. Thanks for sharing.

Frekles
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Frekles »

The letter is found on the Church History Catalog webpage along with a letter from a witness, Elder John E. Enslen - Senior Full-time Missionary, Church History Department.
https://catalog.churchofjesuschrist.org ... =0&index=4

Rwp
captain of 100

Post by Rwp »

So funny you bring this up, I was just looking into this yesterday!

Here’s the church source

And here is a video I found really interesting

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... lg4aj7C5vk

lemuel
Operating Thetan

Post by lemuel »

VJ Featherstone visited my mission in the late 90s. He told us that Pres. Hinckley would live to see a hundred temples built. Since there were only 50 at the time we were flabbergasted, and expecting missionary work to explode.

About a year or 2 later they announced the mini temples.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

Rwp wrote: March 27th, 2020, 2:13 pm So funny you bring this up, I was just looking into this yesterday!

Here’s the church source

Extremely Important Information Repeated and Identified. Thank you very much, Rwp. Well Done!

SPIRIT
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by SPIRIT »

BruceRGilbert wrote: March 27th, 2020, 4:39 pm
Rwp wrote: March 27th, 2020, 2:13 pm So funny you bring this up, I was just looking into this yesterday!

Here’s the church source

Extremely Important Information Repeated and Identified. Thank you very much, Rwp. Well Done!
I'm sorry but I just don't happen to agree with this video at all.
It's too much from a Mormon perspective.
I think the way it really is - is according to the scriptures,
which this video (below) talks about.

my post

"The Covenant with Many " Daniel 9:27 already fulfilled
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=53587&p=993380&hil ... te#p993380

Like many of you, I have learned that these verses in Daniel that talk about a 7 year period and that the Antichrist will confirm a covenant (peace agreement) with many, and in the middle of the final seven years, the Antichrist will set up an abomination in the temple that will cause the temple to become desolate, where still to happen in the future . But after watching this video explaining these scriptures, I believe as he explains that this has already been fulfilled by Jesus.

Daniel 9
24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.
25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: (62 wks.) the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.
26 And after threescore and two weeks (62 wk.) shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.
27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week (after 3 1/2 years) he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

The Covenant with Many and the Trump Peace Re-Leak
SR Monette
Last edited by SPIRIT on March 31st, 2020, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPIRIT
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by SPIRIT »

also
I don't believe that D&C 77:7 is accurate.
7 Q. What are we to understand by the seven seals with which it was sealed?
A. We are to understand that the first seal contains the things of the first thousand years, and the second also of the second thousand years, and so on until the seventh.

I'm sure many do not know this
but, I believe that the 7 seals are NOT in chronological order,
and are 7 plagues to be poured out during the tribulations - that time is NOW.
Besides the fact that they are end-day judgments, all one would have to do
is read them to see they have not yet been fulfilled.

If you think they are in order - and each one for each 1000 years - please tell me how you can explain this ?
These things, happen at the opening of the sixth seal.
When did this happen ?
Has this already happened ? I don't think so.
sounds to me more like the end, after the 7th seal has been opened.

LDS.ORG

Revelation 6

12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;

13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.

14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;

16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:

17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

Then we have these verses.
Do you see any words that are similar to the verses above ?

D&C 88:93,95,96

93 And immediately there shall appear a great sign in heaven, and all people shall see it together.

95 “And there shall be silence in heaven for the space of half an hour, and IMMEDIATELY after shall the curtain of heaven be unfolded, as a scroll is unfolded after it is rolled up,
AND THE FACE OF THE LORD SHALL BE UNVEILED;

96 "And the saints that are upon the earth, who are alive, shall be quickened and be caught up to meet him."

so this is definitely talking about the time of the second coming.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inspired Prophetic Warnings To All Inhabitants of the Earth

EPISTLE OF ELDER WILFORD WOODRUFF

To the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and to all the world

http://jaredc.chaosnet.org/proph/lundwall4.html

(in part)
"These events referred to are but a very limited portion of the revelations of God which are about to be fulfilled upon the heads of this generation. I wish to warn all nations of the judgments of God which are at their doors. Thrones will be cast down, nations will be overturned, anarchy will reign, all legal barriers will be broken down, and the laws will be trampled in the dust. You are about to be visited with war, the sword, famine, pestilence, plague, earthquakes, whirlwinds, tempests, and with the flame of devouring fire. By fire and with the sword will God plead with all flesh, and the slain of the Lord will be many. The anger of the Lord is kindled and his sword is bathed in heaven, and is about to fall upon Idumea, or the world. And who is able to abide these things? And who will stand when he appeareth?
The fig trees are leafing and the signs of heaven and earth indicate the coming of the Son of Man.
The seals are about to be opened; the plagues to be poured forth. Your rivers and seas will be turned into blood and to gall. And the inhabitants of the earth will die of plagues. And the unbelief of great Babylon, with the whole Christian world, will not make the truths of God without effect."
Millennial Star, Vol. 41, pp. 241, 245-6., April 21, 1879.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Seals of the Book of Revelation Do Not Represent Each 1000 Years

This post will treat another error in the Doctrine and Covenants: The exposition on the book of Revelation found in D&C 77.

Say the Joseph Smith Papers Project for this text, "[Sydney] Rigdon probably served as the original scribe for the explanation, but Jesse Gause could have been the scribe instead. The earliest surviving copy is an undated one made by John Whitmer in Revelation Book 1, where it is identified only as 'Revelation Explained.'" There is no known original copy. Of Revelation Book 1, the JSPP says, "Revelation Book 1 contains the earliest known copies of many revelations and, in some cases, the only surviving early manuscript copy." Many of "the revelations and other items are out of chronological order. Manuscript pages 128–148 contain fourteen items dated December 1831–April 1832 that were copied into the manuscript book after April 1832. The manuscript source of these revelations and other items is unknown, but JS and other church leaders possibly brought them to Missouri in April 1832. While these fourteen items are out of order chronologically, Whitmer copied more of them into Revelation Book 1 than other scribes copied into Revelation Book 2, which was begun in late February or early March 1832 and kept by JS and his scribes at church headquarters in Ohio."

Revelation Book 1 was highly edited. JSPP says:
"Many redactions were made before selected items were published in Missouri, while others were made in Ohio before the 1835 publication of the Doctrine and Covenants. Changes made in Sidney Rigdon’s hand are among the earliest, and evidence indicates that he made them in Ohio before the book went to Missouri in November 1831....John Whitmer and Oliver Cowdery could have made redactions in either Ohio or Missouri as early as 1831 or as late as 1835, though the majority of redactions they made first appear in print in 1833 or earlier. Whitmer’s marks often reversed changes made by Sidney Rigdon, and his later editing also modified some of the wording in the revelations. Though not as frequent, changes in Cowdery’s hand were often more substantive in nature, clarifying and expanding the meaning of several items in preparation for the publication of the Book of Commandments and the 1835 Doctrine and Covenants. William W. Phelps had neither reason nor opportunity to edit the items in Revelation Book 1 until he and his associates began preparing the texts for publication in Missouri. As printer of The Evening and the Morning Star and the Book of Commandments, Phelps provided much of the punctuation and versification and many of the other copyediting changes. Only rarely did he alter the original language."

With that historical background, the text of D&C 77 consists of several questions asked about the Book of Revelation (not Revelation Book 1, but rather the last book in the Bible). Historically speaking, if other doctored LDS documents are to be taken as precedent, it is very unlikely that the entire section as printed came from Joseph Smith, but also very unlikely that the entire section was fabricated. Instead, the most likely modifications were to themes, passages, or individual words.

This passage is highly suspect:
"6 Q. What are we to understand by the book which John saw, which was sealed on the back with seven seals?
A. We are to understand that it contains the revealed will, mysteries, and the works of God; the hidden things of his economy concerning this earth during the seven thousand years of its continuance, or its temporal existence.
A. We are to understand that the first seal contains the things of the first thousand years, and the second also of the second thousand years, and so on until the seventh." (D&C 77:6-7.)
Why? Because if this passage were true, it would mean that those events associated with the 1st-6th seals must already have transpired. While sufficient effort could successfully pin some items, such as the four horsemen, on past events, it does not seem that any of the many commentators have been able to find plausible subjects that have garnered as much attention from history as they do in John's revelation. In other words, though candidates for some of the items pertaining to seals 1-6 exist, they certainly are not prominent enough to be the singular feature used to describe each period. For example, in seal 2 there goes forth "another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword." Was peace somehow more abundant in the first 1000 years of the earth than the 2nd thousand years? What event heralded the change?

Other events simply have not yet occurred, no matter how hard we try to shoehorn them into past events. For example, during the 6th seal we read: "And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood; And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind. And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places. And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?" (Revelation 12:17.)

But all of this is merely speculation, right? Not exactly.

It turns out we do have teachings from Joseph Smith on the Book of Revelation outside of D&C 77. This comes from "Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith":
There is a grand difference and distinction between the visions and figures spoken of by the ancient prophets, and those spoken of in the revelations of John. The things which John saw had no allusion to the scenes of the days of Adam, Enoch, Abraham or Jesus, only so far as is plainly represented by John, and clearly set forth by him. John saw that only which was lying in futurity and which was shortly subject: "The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto Him, to show unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and He sent and signified it by His angel unto His servant John: who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw. Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of his prophecy and keep those things that are written therein: for the time is at hand." Also Rev. 4:1. "After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven; and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will show thee things which must be hereafter."....Now, I make this declaration, that those things which John saw in heaven had no allusion to anything that had been on the earth previous to that time, because they were the representation of "things which must shortly come to pass," and not of what has already transpired. John saw beasts that had to do with things on the earth, but not in past ages. The beasts which John saw had to devour the inhabitants of the earth in days to come. ....The revelations do not give us to understand anything of the past in relation to the kingdom of God. What John saw and speaks of were things which he saw in heaven; those which Daniel saw were on and pertaining to the earth.
What is the source for this teaching? It comes from William Clayton's first hand contemporary record found in Words of Joseph Smith 8 April 1843. It is also found (a briefer version) in Joseph Smith's diary of the same date kept (at that time) by Willard Richards.

So, given the proven alterations in Revelation Book 1 that filtered into D&C, and given a solid source for the above passage, we are forced to decide: Did Joseph Smith teach that each seal corresponded to 1000 years of the earth's existence, or did John's revelation consist only of events of the future reckoned from John's time (circa AD 96)?

If he taught one but not the other, certainly the TPJS passage is more reliable. If he taught both, certainly the TPJS passage, which came around ten years after D&C 77, would reflect his more developed understanding.

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

SPIRIT wrote: March 27th, 2020, 8:30 pm also
I don't believe that D&C 77:7 is accurate.
A. We are to understand that the first seal contains the things of the first thousand years, and the second also of the second thousand years, and so on until the seventh.

I'm sure many do not know this
but, I believe that the 7 seals are NOT in chronological order,
and are 7 plagues to be poured out during the tribulations - that time is NOW.
Besides the fact that they are end-day judgments, all one would have to do
is read them to see they have not yet been fulfilled.

If you think they are in order - and each one for each 1000 years - please tell me how you can explain this ?
These things, happen at the opening of the sixth seal.
When did this happen ?
Has this already happened ? I don't think so.
sounds to me more like the end, after the 7th seal has been opened.

LDS.ORG

Revelation 6

12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;

13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.

14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;

16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:

17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

Then we have these verses.
Do you see any words that are similar to the verses above ?

D&C 88:93,95,96

93 And immediately there shall appear a great sign in heaven, and all people shall see it together.

95 “And there shall be silence in heaven for the space of half an hour, and IMMEDIATELY after shall the curtain of heaven be unfolded, as a scroll is unfolded after it is rolled up,
AND THE FACE OF THE LORD SHALL BE UNVEILED;

96 "And the saints that are upon the earth, who are alive, shall be quickened and be caught up to meet him."

so this is definitely talking about the time of the second coming.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inspired Prophetic Warnings To All Inhabitants of the Earth

EPISTLE OF ELDER WILFORD WOODRUFF

To the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and to all the world

http://jaredc.chaosnet.org/proph/lundwall4.html

(in part)
"These events referred to are but a very limited portion of the revelations of God which are about to be fulfilled upon the heads of this generation. I wish to warn all nations of the judgments of God which are at their doors. Thrones will be cast down, nations will be overturned, anarchy will reign, all legal barriers will be broken down, and the laws will be trampled in the dust. You are about to be visited with war, the sword, famine, pestilence, plague, earthquakes, whirlwinds, tempests, and with the flame of devouring fire. By fire and with the sword will God plead with all flesh, and the slain of the Lord will be many. The anger of the Lord is kindled and his sword is bathed in heaven, and is about to fall upon Idumea, or the world. And who is able to abide these things? And who will stand when he appeareth?
The fig trees are leafing and the signs of heaven and earth indicate the coming of the Son of Man.
The seals are about to be opened; the plagues to be poured forth. Your rivers and seas will be turned into blood and to gall. And the inhabitants of the earth will die of plagues. And the unbelief of great Babylon, with the whole Christian world, will not make the truths of God without effect."
Millennial Star, Vol. 41, pp. 241, 245-6., April 21, 1879.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post will treat another error in the Doctrine and Covenants: The exposition on the book of Revelation found in D&C 77.

Say the Joseph Smith Papers Project for this text, "[Sydney] Rigdon probably served as the original scribe for the explanation, but Jesse Gause could have been the scribe instead. The earliest surviving copy is an undated one made by John Whitmer in Revelation Book 1, where it is identified only as 'Revelation Explained.'" There is no known original copy. Of Revelation Book 1, the JSPP says, "Revelation Book 1 contains the earliest known copies of many revelations and, in some cases, the only surviving early manuscript copy." Many of "the revelations and other items are out of chronological order. Manuscript pages 128–148 contain fourteen items dated December 1831–April 1832 that were copied into the manuscript book after April 1832. The manuscript source of these revelations and other items is unknown, but JS and other church leaders possibly brought them to Missouri in April 1832. While these fourteen items are out of order chronologically, Whitmer copied more of them into Revelation Book 1 than other scribes copied into Revelation Book 2, which was begun in late February or early March 1832 and kept by JS and his scribes at church headquarters in Ohio."

Revelation Book 1 was highly edited. JSPP says:
"Many redactions were made before selected items were published in Missouri, while others were made in Ohio before the 1835 publication of the Doctrine and Covenants. Changes made in Sidney Rigdon’s hand are among the earliest, and evidence indicates that he made them in Ohio before the book went to Missouri in November 1831....John Whitmer and Oliver Cowdery could have made redactions in either Ohio or Missouri as early as 1831 or as late as 1835, though the majority of redactions they made first appear in print in 1833 or earlier. Whitmer’s marks often reversed changes made by Sidney Rigdon, and his later editing also modified some of the wording in the revelations. Though not as frequent, changes in Cowdery’s hand were often more substantive in nature, clarifying and expanding the meaning of several items in preparation for the publication of the Book of Commandments and the 1835 Doctrine and Covenants. William W. Phelps had neither reason nor opportunity to edit the items in Revelation Book 1 until he and his associates began preparing the texts for publication in Missouri. As printer of The Evening and the Morning Star and the Book of Commandments, Phelps provided much of the punctuation and versification and many of the other copyediting changes. Only rarely did he alter the original language."

With that historical background, the text of D&C 77 consists of several questions asked about the Book of Revelation (not Revelation Book 1, but rather the last book in the Bible). Historically speaking, if other doctored LDS documents are to be taken as precedent, it is very unlikely that the entire section as printed came from Joseph Smith, but also very unlikely that the entire section was fabricated. Instead, the most likely modifications were to themes, passages, or individual words.

This passage is highly suspect:
"6 Q. What are we to understand by the book which John saw, which was sealed on the back with seven seals?
A. We are to understand that it contains the revealed will, mysteries, and the works of God; the hidden things of his economy concerning this earth during the seven thousand years of its continuance, or its temporal existence.
A. We are to understand that the first seal contains the things of the first thousand years, and the second also of the second thousand years, and so on until the seventh." (D&C 77:6-7.)
Why? Because if this passage were true, it would mean that those events associated with the 1st-6th seals must already have transpired. While sufficient effort could successfully pin some items, such as the four horsemen, on past events, it does not seem that any of the many commentators have been able to find plausible subjects that have garnered as much attention from history as they do in John's revelation. In other words, though candidates for some of the items pertaining to seals 1-6 exist, they certainly are not prominent enough to be the singular feature used to describe each period. For example, in seal 2 there goes forth "another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword." Was peace somehow more abundant in the first 1000 years of the earth than the 2nd thousand years? What event heralded the change?

Other events simply have not yet occurred, no matter how hard we try to shoehorn them into past events. For example, during the 6th seal we read: "And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood; And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind. And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places. And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?" (Revelation 12:17.)

But all of this is merely speculation, right? Not exactly.

It turns out we do have teachings from Joseph Smith on the Book of Revelation outside of D&C 77. This comes from "Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith":
There is a grand difference and distinction between the visions and figures spoken of by the ancient prophets, and those spoken of in the revelations of John. The things which John saw had no allusion to the scenes of the days of Adam, Enoch, Abraham or Jesus, only so far as is plainly represented by John, and clearly set forth by him. John saw that only which was lying in futurity and which was shortly subject: "The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto Him, to show unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and He sent and signified it by His angel unto His servant John: who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw. Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of his prophecy and keep those things that are written therein: for the time is at hand." Also Rev. 4:1. "After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven; and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will show thee things which must be hereafter."....Now, I make this declaration, that those things which John saw in heaven had no allusion to anything that had been on the earth previous to that time, because they were the representation of "things which must shortly come to pass," and not of what has already transpired. John saw beasts that had to do with things on the earth, but not in past ages. The beasts which John saw had to devour the inhabitants of the earth in days to come. ....The revelations do not give us to understand anything of the past in relation to the kingdom of God. What John saw and speaks of were things which he saw in heaven; those which Daniel saw were on and pertaining to the earth.
What is the source for this teaching? It comes from William Clayton's first hand contemporary record found in Words of Joseph Smith 8 April 1843. It is also found (a briefer version) in Joseph Smith's diary of the same date kept (at that time) by Willard Richards.

So, given the proven alterations in Revelation Book 1 that filtered into D&C, and given a solid source for the above passage, we are forced to decide: Did Joseph Smith teach that each seal corresponded to 1000 years of the earth's existence, or did John's revelation consist only of events of the future reckoned from John's time (circa AD 96)?

If he taught one but not the other, certainly the TPJS passage is more reliable. If he taught both, certainly the TPJS passage, which came around ten years after D&C 77, would reflect his more developed understanding.
Death riding a pale horse, who is the only death that matters to someone who believes John is a prophet?

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

lemuel wrote: March 27th, 2020, 3:32 pm VJ Featherstone visited my mission in the late 90s. He told us that Pres. Hinckley would live to see a hundred temples built. Since there were only 50 at the time we were flabbergasted, and expecting missionary work to explode.

About a year or 2 later they announced the mini temples.
And without inside information this almost sounds prophetic.

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

Vaughn J. Featherstone,
This prophesy is a fail. I would say as a prognosticator he pretty much missed this one. I met Brother Featherstone back in the early 80's. Very nice man. One other thing, back in the day's before the internet I had a copy of another prophesy from him regarding the Salt Lake Valley. I'll see if I can find it, though I imagine there's likely someone here in the forum that may have a copy or may have already posted it.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

What part is the fail? I don’t know where the temples in the South are, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are ones in most of all of the places he mentions. I also don’t know what the membership numbers are in the region, but there’s still almost fifteen years between now and when this letter is supposed to be opened and read. Lots could happen between now and then.

Every time I think I’ve heard everything, something like this pops up. The most interesting thing about this story to me is that supposedly the First Presidency approved the content. Interesting indeed.