Losing their religion: Millennials, including Utahns, leaving church

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Z2100
captain of 100

Re: Losing their religion: Millennials, including Utahns, leaving church

Post by Z2100 »

JohnnyL wrote: May 13th, 2017, 1:29 pm
Sunain wrote: May 13th, 2017, 8:30 am ...
I think that Transparency is one of the main issues Millennials have. Church stats and tithing have always been secretive. Anything secretive or not available to public view is viewed with skepticism because there is a lot of corruption in the world in business and churches.

I personally believe that the reason the church is losing so many youth/millenials is it's own fault and the leaders of the church will be held accountable for the decisions they have made. There is so many things the church could have done to support these members over the years. Contrary to what the popular opinion is in this thread, Millennials are a neglected generation in various different ways than previous generations.

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens sums up the situation in our day, the same issues that were occurring in his day.
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
Missionary exchanges in our area are focused on reactivating members. When we are able to talk with people about the issues they have, a lot of them are doctrine that we really can't dispute like: Word of Wisdom, LGBT, Law of Chastity, Polygamy, Priesthood for males only, ect.

There are a lot of points that are also brought up though where there are issues in the church. Almost all the issues come up on this list:
http://www.whymormonsleave.com/wp-conte ... y-2014.pdf

There are a few issues though that I hear quite often where I can understand why these younger members have left the church because they feel like it was like they had no real logical choice but to leave.
  • [1]Members do not treat other members with Christlike love. Gossip, Nepotism, Caste system in the church, cult like culture, bullying. No difference between the world and the church. Bishoprics aren't doing anything about members that are causing these sinful issues.
    [2]Church no longer allows younger members of the church in leadership positions. They feel left out in the decision making process.
    [3]Hound the youth like it's a sin to use Facebook, Twitter and social media to talk to their friends yet don't have their own online social system to talk to other members of the church. Told the only productive reason to use social media is to spread the gospel.
    [4]Deceptive church stats and no full disclosure of funds. By not doing so means they have something to hide.
    [5]Temple ordinances: Doesn't allow non-temple worth members or non-members to attend marriage. Hidden Second Anointing ordinance. Changes to the temple ceremony over the years.
    [6]Single members are treated as second-class members and aren't considered adults unless they are married and have children.
Ok, and I've just seen that AI 2.0 already responded well... Anyway, I'll leave this up.

Transparency is a problem, but it's much more perceived than real. I'd say when people talk about transparency, it's more an attitude by leaders of "I don't care enough to research and learn more" as a sign of "plausible deniability" from leaders. It's like when you talk to someone about a problem and they kind of throw you off with "Oh yeah, blah blah blah" and nothing of what they are saying has any real connection to your problem and you just want to grab them by the shoulders and shake them out of their politicalness and say, "LISTEN!"

I agree much with AI 2.0 that the problem is mainly testimony, but... there are definitely things that could be very helpful.

ALL of those problems mentioned can not only be disputed, but answered decently convincingly. It WOULD be more helpful for leaders to get it right ahead of time, and get better information (good information usually helps inspiration). And it would help to counter some things nicely but straight on and forcefully.

I can only think that the first on the list is really problematic.
I have no idea what 2 is even referring to.
Three is more "right time, right place--and three hours of FB during church is NOT it", nor is hours a day playing video games, especially when your grades are falling, you can't connect or even talk to people face to face, etc.
Four--church stats are pretty open; the funds part isn't coming out, and it shouldn't.
Five isn't much of a problem for anyone who basically understands (has a basic testimony).
Six--well, I think it goes back to one. I don't see it as a problem much where I've been.

Same.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Shadow, I get what you're saying. My plea is not to those who seek to justify themselves. That's not what Christ was about and that's not what I'm about either. But if people lose hope in Christ because they lost hope in the church, then where is there hope to be found? Who will reclaim them? If they can be persuaded not to leave Christ, then they can be persuaded to repent and be healed, and maybe even be reconciled with those who hurt them, especially by those in the "church."

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

Alma 23: 6 And as sure as the Lord liveth, so sure as many as believed, or as many as were brought to the knowledge of the truth, through the preaching of Ammon and his brethren, according to the spirit of revelation and of prophecy, and the power of God working miracles in them—yea, I say unto you, as the Lord liveth, as many of the Lamanites as believed in their preaching, and were converted unto the Lord, never did fall away.

4th Nephi
15 And it came to pass that there was no contention in the land, because of the love of God which did dwell in the hearts of the people.

16 And there were no envyings, nor strifes, nor tumults, nor whoredoms, nor lyings, nor murders, nor any manner of lasciviousness; and surely there could not be a happier people among all the people who had been created by the hand of God.

Why were they so happy? Because of the love of God in that did dwell in there hearts. How did they receive the love of God in their hearts?

2 And it came to pass in the thirty and sixth year, the people were all converted unto the Lord, upon all the face of the land, both Nephites and Lamanites, and there were no contentions and disputations among them, and every man did deal justly one with another.

We can treat the symptoms with programs and papers or we can treat the problem with the Doctrine of Christ. We are never successful long term until we teach the doctrine of Christ with power. He is the only way.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

drtanner wrote: May 13th, 2017, 6:36 pm Alma 23: 6 And as sure as the Lord liveth, so sure as many as believed, or as many as were brought to the knowledge of the truth, through the preaching of Ammon and his brethren, according to the spirit of revelation and of prophecy, and the power of God working miracles in them—yea, I say unto you, as the Lord liveth, as many of the Lamanites as believed in their preaching, and were converted unto the Lord, never did fall away.

4th Nephi
15 And it came to pass that there was no contention in the land, because of the love of God which did dwell in the hearts of the people.

16 And there were no envyings, nor strifes, nor tumults, nor whoredoms, nor lyings, nor murders, nor any manner of lasciviousness; and surely there could not be a happier people among all the people who had been created by the hand of God.

Why were they so happy? Because of the love of God in that did dwell in there hearts. How did they receive the love of God in their hearts?

2 And it came to pass in the thirty and sixth year, the people were all converted unto the Lord, upon all the face of the land, both Nephites and Lamanites, and there were no contentions and disputations among them, and every man did deal justly one with another.

We can treat the symptoms with programs and papers or we can treat the problem with the Doctrine of Christ. We are never successful long term until we teach the doctrine of Christ with power. He is the only way.
This brings me full circle to my post about holding Jesus Christ up as the light. Beautiful post, drtanner, thank you.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

No matter what we think...
"Gotta love millennials... Please pray for millennials..."

Gage
captain of 100

Post by Gage »

Whats going on is in the scriptures and told would happen. Holding on to the rod. You either follow Christ or follow the world (abominable church of the devil).

Goonerboy
captain of 50

Post by Goonerboy »

Gage wrote: May 10th, 2017, 7:22 am
samizdat wrote: May 10th, 2017, 6:50 am Any time that the Church ceases preaching sound doctrine, and the parents stop preaching sound doctrine to the children, you see a slowdown and even a reversal of Church growth.

Any time when the Church is unapologetic in preaching the sound doctrine, and the parents preach it to their children, you see rapid growth in the Church.

The Church grew A LOT MORE in the years of David O McKay, Spencer W Kimball, Ezra Taft Benson, and even Gordon B HInckley.
Whatever, Millenials are taught from birth that homosexuality is ok and normal. So they agree with what their friends believe and not some bigot religion that says its sin. Many of these members that leave the church because (the church hates gays) or (the church practiced polygamy) are the same members that never had much of a testimony to begin with. They went to church and saw a lovely social scene with nice people and it looked like fun. They didnt join for the church teachings, they joined for somewhere to hang out and socialize. They get baptized without knowing a thing about the gospel.
In and out of the Church (LDS) Parents often fail to teach their Children the ways of the Lord and want to be "Their Friends" and not the kind of Parents the Lord wants them to be to raise their Children in righteousness. Then as the kids grow up and start rebelling the Parents look at each other and ask "How did this Happen? "
I have two Teenage Boys and the oldest is waiting on his Mission call and it has been a long hard slog raising them right and they have their own testimonies and love the Gospel. I am a convert of 39 years and joined as a 16 year old and once I knew for myself that the Gospel was true I said to my then Bishop I do not care if everyone here hates me as I come to Church for my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and if people like me that is a bonus. I have taught my boys to always remember what they know and build on their own testimonies and to focus on Christ and his teachings and they will never go wrong. The Brethren tell us not to look beyond the mark and yet so many do. The Church is true no matter what is said and done by others. There has always been dissenters just look in the Book of Mormon. We need to be like Nephi when he noticed those in the large and spacious building scoffing at him when he said "And we heeded them not".