anyone want to predict a Draper EQ?

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

anyone want to predict a Draper EQ?

Post by shadow »

Proud citizens of Draper, UT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrXrSrzu_JA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dna62woMkdc

Men's (and women's) hearts have failed.

Z2100
captain of 100

Re: anyone want to predict a Draper EQ?

Post by Z2100 »

shadow wrote: March 30th, 2017, 6:09 pm Proud citizens of Draper, UT.

Interesting...

nodrog
captain of 10

Post by nodrog »

Not to worry. Looks like chaos comes in a few weeks.

https://youtu.be/K5dSxyAmUE0

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Liberals care for the poor and homeless. They show this care by demanding government raise taxes on people who make more money than they do and spend that money on the poor and homeless. But they only care when those filthy disgusting scumbags are somewhere else.

Conservatives care for the poor and homeless. They show this care by donating money, food, and sometimes even time to help the poor and homeless. But they only care when those filthy disgusting scumbags are somewhere else.

The only positive thing I can say here is that at least conservative and liberals found some common ground. The sad thing is how shocked these people will be when they learn the real truth behind the question: "Are we not all beggars?"

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

shadow wrote: March 30th, 2017, 6:09 pm Proud citizens of Draper, UT.

Yep there was an EQ in Draper last night and the people beat down out-of-control gov't and fake, corrupt politicians! :ymapplause:

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Since the new Utah State Prison is going to be built in the southwest valley of Salt Lake County and will probably adversely affect our property values over here somewhat, perhaps it is only fair to consider putting the new homeless shelter somewhere in the east valley, like Draper?

I'm not trying to be flippant here. I am speaking honestly. We have to let go of this elitist idea that the east bench is for the well-to-do and up-and-coming and that the west side of Salt Lake is the place for everyone else.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

The new prison is being built in the northwest part of the valley where no homes are. It's a swampland. It shouldn't change any home values. One of the proposed sites for the women and children center is at the current prison site so there shouldn't be any home value depreciation there either. But like draper folks loudly proclaimed- don't send any homeless our way. They're not worth it. Draper folks removed any references to King Benjamin from their Books of Mormon. Living in Draper means you can do stuff like that, that's how good they are.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Here's another way to look at it, for those who see it as concerning, maybe the Lord is giving (allowing) a little push or motivation to move. A future earthquake, well Lehi left yrs before the destruction of Jerusalem. It seems natural things can bring about His purposes . If this is effecting ones sleep, well I would make it a matter of personal prayer on whether my location needs to change as we can't seem to effect gov. decisions only our own. Matchmaker if I recall Idaho Falls seemed interesting to you, maybe timing is getting right?

cappaccio
captain of 100

Post by cappaccio »

BOM stories literally being replayed out in real time.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

I can help these people to find an existing Draper Elders Quorum if nobody else can figure it out

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

The older I get the less I know about everything in the world around me....except this one thing: People are selfish parasites. And the more selfish you are the more rewards you get in this life. But it comes at a cost, the more selfish you are the more afraid you are that someone else will take what you have.

And thus, a proposal for a resource center for women and children, located over 1/4 mile from the nearest neighbor, and stuck between a construction road and the free-way threatened all those poor Draper Residents in their multi-million dollar homes. How insecure they must be in their selfishness.

I have been privileged to meet a very few people who were guileless, innocent, and charitable. They were not made for this world, but belong somewhere else, somewhere better.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

DesertWonderer wrote: March 30th, 2017, 10:40 pm Yep there was an EQ in Draper last night and the people beat down out-of-control gov't and fake, corrupt politicians! :ymapplause:

I don't know the Draper Mayor, and McAdams only a little. Why do you claim they are corrupt and fake?

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

tribrac wrote: March 31st, 2017, 2:43 pm
DesertWonderer wrote: March 30th, 2017, 10:40 pm Yep there was an EQ in Draper last night and the people beat down out-of-control gov't and fake, corrupt politicians! :ymapplause:

I don't know the Draper Mayor, and McAdams only a little. Why do you claim they are corrupt and fake?
The mayor is on the board of UTA and has options on land that would have netted him serious money if the Trax lines whet to the proposed sites. THAT was his motivation for pushing Draper sites. Hence my approval of the Draper citizens' behavior the other night.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Do you know this? Or is it hearsay?

TBH, I still don't understand how this is connected to Trax, or why Draper is apposed to Trax. The Trax line is not mentioned in any stories, and it will certainly take more than 10-million appropriated to extend.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

DesertWonderer wrote: March 31st, 2017, 4:10 pm

The mayor is on the board of UTA and has options on land that would have netted him serious money if the Trax lines whet to the proposed sites. THAT was his motivation for pushing Draper sites. Hence my approval of the Draper citizens' behavior the other night.
You know someone's always trying to make a buck. This isn't about helping the homeless--if they really cared, they'd work on the drug addiction problem--that's what's causing a lot of homelessness--that and mental illness, but the govt. always ignores the underlying causes; they just put a band aid on the problem and pat themselves on the back and move on to their next project that might net them and their associates money and added business interests.

And in all the sites they chose, you notice they weren't in the expensive areas--They said they wanted to spread the services around the valley, but won't put them in the wealthier neighborhoods.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

AI2.0 wrote: March 31st, 2017, 4:46 pm
DesertWonderer wrote: March 31st, 2017, 4:10 pm

You know someone's always trying to make a buck. This isn't about helping the homeless--if they really cared, they'd work on the drug addiction problem--that's what's causing a lot of homelessness--that and mental illness, but the govt. always ignores the underlying causes; they just put a band aid on the problem and pat themselves on the back and move on to their next project that might net them and their associates money and added business interests.

And in all the sites they chose, you notice they weren't in the expensive areas--They said they wanted to spread the services around the valley, but won't put them in the wealthier neighborhoods.
To your point, gov't's solution to homelessness is the same as to poverty. The result of welfare for the poor has been to create more poverty. The result of their "solution" for the homeless will be to create generational homelessness and in the end create more.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

I think we citizens of Salt Lake County need to do whatever we can to help the homeless women and children find safe and affordable places to live, but the solution is not as easy for all of us as it may seem to outsiders. Part of the problem is our lack of affordable apartments for women who may only be earning $10 to $12 per hour and supporting children, and there are a lot of them here. These women can't afford to pay almost $1,000 per month, or more, for a 2 bedroom apartment with utilities.

I have worked with some of these women. Another problem they have faced involves property management companies who reject applicants who have had a history of credit problems and prior evictions, as many of these women escaping from troubled relationships with little money have had. It's like forgiveness for past mistakes, financial or otherwise, does not exist. Virtually none of the apartment managers in Salt Lake County want to give these women a second chance. It's even worse if they have a criminal record.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

Here we go, but this can't be us, as I suppose it's those awful other people...

And I know that ye do walk in the pride of your hearts; and there are none save a few only who do not lift themselves up in the pride of their hearts, unto the wearing of very fine apparel, unto envying, and strifes, and malice, and persecutions, and all manner of iniquities; and your churches, yea, even every one, have become polluted because of the pride of your hearts.

For behold, ye do love money, and your substance, and your fine apparel, and the adorning of your churches, more than ye love the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted.

O ye pollutions, ye hypocrites, ye teachers, who sell yourselves for that which will canker, why have ye polluted the holy church of God? Why are ye ashamed to take upon you the name of Christ? Why do ye not think that greater is the value of an endless happiness than that misery which never dies—because of the praise of the world?

Why do ye adorn yourselves with that which hath no life, and yet suffer the hungry, and the needy, and the naked, and the sick and the afflicted to pass by you, and notice them not?

Yea, why do ye build up your secret abominations to get gain, and cause that widows should mourn before the Lord, and also orphans to mourn before the Lord, and also the blood of their fathers and their husbands to cry unto the Lord from the ground, for vengeance upon your heads?

Behold, the sword of vengeance hangeth over you; and the time soon cometh that he avengeth the blood of the saints upon you, for he will not suffer their cries any longer.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

shadow wrote: March 31st, 2017, 8:45 am The new prison is being built in the northwest part of the valley where no homes are. It's a swampland. It shouldn't change any home values. One of the proposed sites for the women and children center is at the current prison site so there shouldn't be any home value depreciation there either. But like draper folks loudly proclaimed- don't send any homeless our way. They're not worth it. Draper folks removed any references to King Benjamin from their Books of Mormon. Living in Draper means you can do stuff like that, that's how good they are.

Since being back in Utah I have been living downtown very near the homeless shelter. I see the plight of these people daily. There is great sadness and despair among these poor folks who just struggle to make it thru the difficulties of life in their often desperate state. Many are emotionally troubled and do not take advantage of the services provided them. Crime and drug usage are also a very real part of life on the streets with many who face this. I thought of them as some of the Brethren today made reference of our duty as Saints to provide relief and service to the poor among us. As I see those People and cities who want nothing to do with providing additional facilities for these people I am saddened that people feel no responsibility to help lighten the load of this area downtown that currently provides these services. More and more are coming to this area and the streets are often lined with many of these folks just trying to keep warm or find a place to spend their days. There is a need for additional help and it looks like nobody wants to offer it. That is sad.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Drug addicts and criminals who prey on others, should be locked away in a safe place where there is no access to drugs and no chance to victimise others. Their time should be spent cleaning and working, and in worthwhile pursuits, not idling away the hours of their life.
Mark wrote: April 1st, 2017, 9:18 pm Crime and drug usage are also a very real part of life on the streets with many who face this.More and more are coming to this area and the streets are often lined with many of these folks just trying to keep warm or find a place to spend their days.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

The jumping to conclusions with this issue is very odd to me. Why do so many of you assume that those who don't want a homeless shelter in their neighborhood don't want to help those poor souls? Why do you immediately assume they are selfish, prideful, evil, etc...? Are you all sure your comments are not motivated by jealousy? Just something to think about. When the price of homes is mentioned it comes across that way. The reason they don't want the shelter in their neighborhood is that it is simply not safe to do so. A Draper police officer told me 2 nights ago that if the shelter would've come to that community, the police force would have to double to respond to the resultant crime.

For example from this article: http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43693197&nid=14 ... police-say " There's no debate that neighborhoods surrounding the homeless shelter have built a reputation as a hub for drug dealing. There are hundreds of homeless people on sidewalks all day, which makes for the perfect cover for dealers. or this: One narcotics officer said dealers will use the homeless as "camouflage." or this ""We seized 82 percent more drugs, heroin, cocaine, marijuana," said Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown. Brown's crime analysis unit tracks data on a weekly basis and compiled an annual report that reveals a staggering trend. Last year, Salt Lake City police officers seized almost 330,000 doses of drugs — an 82 percent spike over the previous year." Just curious how do you think they get money for the drugs? Prostitution, theft, dealing and other violent crimes.

Those of you condemning those who don't want a shelter in their neighborhood want THAT in yours? Really? Before you condemn people for not wanting that in their community, maybe you should offer to have the shelter build in yours? Or maybe you could offer them your extra bedroom? You wouldn't have any problem with a poor unfortunate addicted homeless person that has deep mental health issues in a bedroom next to your young daughter's would you? Some people would call you evil or selfish if you did. Remember Ed Smart? It worked out really well for him and his family didn't it. Just thinking out loud here...

The ONLY way to help them is not to build shelters in residential neighborhoods. There are alternatives. They can be helped and It can be done w/o corrupting family communities. Both goals can be met or is that incorrect?

I've yet to hear of someone who doesn't think they need help and want them to get help. It is all our responsibility to help the less fortunate and I hear no one saying otherwise.
Last edited by DesertWonderer on April 2nd, 2017, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MR. T
captain of 50

Post by MR. T »

Can someone please tell me how I am a bad person if I donate my money and time to the homeless shelter in SLC but I want to stay far away from the drugs, crime and filth that I see every time I visit the road home shelter? Is there some scripture that says you must take care of the poor and you must do it in your backyard? You must be located no more than 2 miles from a homeless shelter to help them? The church commandeered a city street and built a large mall as a buffer zone to DISTANCE the filth. Go down to Rio Grand St. and see for yourself - it is seriously bad!!!! I also think its sad that Draper doesn't want a homeless shelter BUT the sad part is that NO OTHER CITY WANTS ONE EITHER but Draper is somehow going to have an earthquake because they are rich and bla bla bla...

Earthquake LOL

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

I could be wrong, but I think one of the issues here is that we have at least two sets of people all being thrown in together at the Homeless Shelter in Salt Lake. There are some practicing alcoholics and drug addicts who hang out around there for the food, shelter, and contacts, looking for a handout, but have no ability or plans to change their behavior for the better anytime soon, and you have families who have temporarily hit rock bottom, need a serious hand up and don't know where else to turn. Sometimes it is their first time in this situation, and they are terrified.

There needs to be a safer place in a middle class residential neighborhood for these family members to go where they have access to public transportation and other resources. Draper probably isn't the right place because of the limited access to public transportation. There is a lot of extra land on the west side of the valley that is not being used. Perhaps the county could build some lower income rent-controlled apartments over there and place the homeless families in them until they can get back up on their feet.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

DesertWonderer wrote: April 1st, 2017, 11:28 pm The jumping to conclusions with this issue is very odd to me. Why do so many of you assume that those who don't want a homeless shelter in their neighborhood don't want to help those poor souls? Why do you immediately assume they are selfish, prideful, evil, etc...? Are you all sure your comments are not motivated by jealousy? Just something to think about. When the price of homes is mentioned it comes across that way. The reason they don't want the shelter in their neighborhood is that it is simply not safe to do so. A Draper police offices told me 2 nights ago that if the shelter would've come to that community, the police force would have to double to respond to the resultant crime.

For example from this article: http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43693197&nid=14 ... police-say " There's no debate that neighborhoods surrounding the homeless shelter have built a reputation as a hub for drug dealing. There are hundreds of homeless people on sidewalks all day, which makes for the perfect cover for dealers. or this: One narcotics officer said dealers will use the homeless as "camouflage." or this ""We seized 82 percent more drugs, heroin, cocaine, marijuana," said Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown. Brown's crime analysis unit tracks data on a weekly basis and compiled an annual report that reveals a staggering trend. Last year, Salt Lake City police officers seized almost 330,000 doses of drugs — an 82 percent spike over the previous year." Just curious how do you think they get money for the drugs? Prostitution, theft, dealing and other violent crimes.

Those of you condemning those who don't want a shelter in their neighborhood want THAT in yours? Really? Before you condemn people for not wanting that in their community, maybe you should offer to have the shelter build in yours? Or maybe you could offer them your extra bedroom? You wouldn't have any problem with a poor unfortunate addicted homeless person that has deep mental health issues in a bedroom next to your young daughter's would you? Some people would call you evil or selfish if you did. Remember Ed Smart? It worked out really well for him and his family didn't it. Just thinking out loud here...

The ONLY way to help them is not to build shelters in residential neighborhoods. There are alternatives. They can be helped and It can be done w/o corrupting family communities. Both goals can be met or is that incorrect?

I've yet to hear of someone who doesn't think they need help and want them to get help. It is all our responsibility to help the less fortunate and I hear no one saying otherwise.
None of the sites in draper were in residential areas. In fact, one was at the site of the current prison.
The attitude of that meeting was terrible, booing off the stage a homeless man. It's one thing to come together to figure out ways to help the homeless, to share different ideas that might be better than what had been proposed, but it's different to reject the homeless outright. How embarrassing for Draper residents to act like spoiled brats who's only concern were themselves. Their hearts have grown cold and fail them.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Perhaps a review of Matthew 25:40-46 would be helpful. Don't neglect verse 46. It's pretty important.

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.