What does "This Generation" mean?

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Zion2080
captain of 100

What does "This Generation" mean?

Post by Zion2080 »

I've been reading the Pearl of Great Price, and I stumbled upon this in Joseph Smith- Matthew:

34. Verily, I say unto you, this generation, in which these things shall be shown forth, shall not pass away until all I have told you shall be fufilled.

What the heck does this mean? I'm so stumped. I looked at the footnote on the Gospel library app, but found nothing :( . It made me think of the Millennial generation? :-w :-w

setyourselffree
captain of 1,000

Re: What does "This Generation" mean?

Post by setyourselffree »

Zion2080 wrote: March 26th, 2017, 9:15 pm I've been reading the Pearl of Great Price, and I stumbled upon this in Joseph Smith- Matthew:

34. Verily, I say unto you, this generation, in which these things shall be shown forth, shall not pass away until all I have told you shall be fufilled.

What the heck does this mean? I'm so stumped. I looked at the footnote on the Gospel library app, but found nothing :( . It made me think of the Millennial generation? :-w :-w
John the Revelator? That is all I have ever been able to come up with.

BackBlast
captain of 100

Post by BackBlast »

I believe the standard length of time for a biblical generation is 70 years.

This generation... The era in which these things shall occur. Namely the signs from the previous verses.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Zion2080 wrote: March 26th, 2017, 9:15 pm I've been reading the Pearl of Great Price, and I stumbled upon this in Joseph Smith- Matthew:
Read this blog post, it does an excellent job explaining the JS-Matthew:
Harmonizing the Text with History

I quote the conclusions here:
So here’s what happened: KJV Mt. 24 is the Olivet prophecy. In it, Jesus is represented as foretelling events that will occur at the end of the world (or age). But here’s the thing: in the early Christian church, it was believed that the second coming would come quickly, certainly within a generation. So in this prophecy the dire events that would occur with the Jewish rebellion, the suppression of it by Rome, the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple and the scattering of the Jews into the Diaspora are portrayed as the events presaging the end of the world and the second coming of Jesus in glory.

But that’s not what happened. Sure, all those terrible events happened historically, but they weren’t accompanied by a return of the Savior. It has been almost two millennia, and the Savior still hasn’t returned. So in this respect the Olivet prophecy appears to be flawed. And the JST fixes this flaw.

JS-M does so by bifurcating the prophecy into two parts. The first part will be a prophecy of the events that will happen historically in the first century A.D. (destruction of the temple, scattering of the Jews, etc.), and the second part will be a prophecy of the events that will happen at the actual end of the world (which still haven’t happened and remain in our future).