Keys for Avoiding Deception

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
LdsMarco
captain of 100

Keys for Avoiding Deception

Post by LdsMarco »

Since the councils in the premortal world Lucifer has “sought … the misery of all mankind” (2 Nephi 2:18). He “sought to destroy the agency of man” (Moses 4:3), “to deceive and to blind men, and to lead them captive … even as many as would not hearken unto [the Lord’s] voice” (Moses 4:4).

President Joseph F. Smith warned the Saints of the continuation of Satan’s workings: “Let it not be forgotten that the evil one has great power in the earth, and that by every possible means he seeks to darken the minds of men and then offers them falsehood and deception in the guise of truth. Satan is a skillful imitator, and as genuine gospel truth is given the world in ever increasing abundance, so he spreads the counterfeit coin of false doctrine. Beware of his spurious currency, it will purchase for you nothing but disappointment, misery and spiritual death. The ‘father of lies’ he has been called, and such an adept has he become through the ages of practice in his nefarious work, that were it possible he would deceive the very elect.” (Juvenile Instructor, Sept. 1902, p. 562.)

Temptation

Now, young people (and old), pay attention! Before I say another word..., I must tell you so that you cannot possibly misunderstand: “There are many spirits which are false spirits.” (D&C 50:2; see also D&C 50:3.)

There can be counterfeit revelations, promptings from the devil, temptations! As long as you live, in one way or another the adversary will try to lead you astray.

“For after this manner doth the devil work, for he persuadeth no man to do good, no, not one; neither do his angels; neither do they who subject themselves unto him.” (Moroni 7:17)

The Prophet Joseph Smith said that “nothing is a greater injury to the children of men than to be under the influence of a false spirit when they think they have the Spirit of God.” (TPJS, p. 205.)

The seventh chapter of Moroni in the Book of Mormon tells you how to test spiritual promptings. Read it carefully—over and over.
By trial, and some error, you will learn to heed these promptings.

If ever you receive a prompting to do something that makes you feel uneasy, something you know in your mind to be wrong and contrary to the principles of righteousness, do not respond to it! (Boyd K. Packer, General Conference, Oct. 1994)

President Harold B. Lee warned: “There are some as wolves among us [see Acts 20:29; Galatians 1:6–12]. By that, I mean some who profess membership in this church who are not sparing the flock. And among our own membership, men are arising speaking perverse things. Now perverse means diverting from the right or correct, and being obstinate in the wrong, willfully, in order to draw the weak and unwary members of the Church away after them.

“And as the apostle Paul said, it is likewise a marvel to us today, as it was in that day, that some members are soon removed from those who taught them the gospel and are removed from the true teachings of the gospel of Christ to be led astray into something that corrupts the true doctrines of the gospel of Christ into vicious and wicked practices and performances.” (In Conference Report, Oct. 1972, p. 125; or Ensign, Jan. 1973, p. 105.)

With such forces at work in the Church, one must learn to combat these workings of Satan.

Elder Marion G. Romney listed the following guidelines:

“Anything purporting to pertain to the Gospel of Jesus Christ may be put to the following four simple tests:

“1. Does it purport to originate in the wisdom of men, or was it revealed from heaven? If it originated in the wisdom of men, it is not of God. …

“2. Does the teaching bear the proper label? … If any teaching purporting to be from Christ comes under any label other than that of Jesus Christ, we can know it is not of God. …

“3. … The teaching must not only come under the proper label, but it must also conform to the other teaching of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

“4. … Does it come through the proper Church channel?” (In Conference Report, Oct. 1960, pp. 76–77.)

A closer examination of Elder Romney’s four tests will be helpful to any who seek to avoid deception.

Is it of God or of man? The following counsel is found in the Doctrine and Covenants:

“But ye are commanded in all things to ask of God, who giveth liberally; and that which the Spirit testifies unto you even so I would that ye should do in all holiness of heart, walking uprightly before me, considering the end of your salvation, doing all things with prayer and thanksgiving, that ye may not be seduced by evil spirits, or doctrines of devils, or the commandments of men; for some are of men, and others of devils” (D&C 46:7).

“But wo unto them that are deceivers and hypocrites, for, thus saith the Lord, I will bring them to judgment.” (D&C 50:6)

Personal Revelation:The Gift, the Test, and the Promise: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... e?lang=eng

Enrichment J Keys for Avoiding Deception: https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrine-and ... n?lang=eng

Book Of Moroni Chapter 7: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/moro/7?lang=eng
Last edited by LdsMarco on July 10th, 2018, 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Keys for Avoiding Deception

Post by Original_Intent »

I disagree with the four tests laid out by Marion G. Romney. To me they are demonstrably incorrect.

I agree wholeheartedly with your reference to D&C 46:7 - that is a far more correct test for avoiding deception.

I will very easily show that the four tests cannot be true.

1. Is saying that a secular truth can never be God's truth. All truth is God's truth,
2. The importance of labeling is completely irrelevant to whether the subject is true or not.
3. I completely agree with.
4. Why then did General Authorities widely quote such non-LDS thinkers such as C.S. Lewis in the past? Did the fact that they quoted him, and others, then validate the thought and "make it true" because by them repeating the thought, it now came thru proper church channels? What paradoxical nonsense it would be to make such and argument.

Far better to stick with the scripture you quoted
“But ye are commanded in all things to ask of God, who giveth liberally; and that which the Spirit testifies unto you even so I would that ye should do in all holiness of heart, walking uprightly before me, considering the end of your salvation, doing all things with prayer and thanksgiving, that ye may not be seduced by evil spirits, or doctrines of devils, or the commandments of men; for some are of men, and others of devils” (D&C 46:7).

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

IF I were to disagree with MGR, I'd say it was time for me to do some serious introspection. But that's just me.
Last edited by DesertWonderer on March 22nd, 2017, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlbertaBronco
captain of 100

Post by AlbertaBronco »

It is a lot simpler thand even all that was previously mentioned ...
1. Looked to the prophet and the 12 for counsel.
2. Pray and gain a testimony
3. Act

Voila!

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

DesertWonderer wrote: March 22nd, 2017, 1:39 pm IF I were to disagree with MGR, I'd say it was time for me to do some serious introspection. But that's just me.
That's a very kind way to put it. Thank you for your gentle spirit.
I don't simply disagree with him I say what is attributed to him in the OP is demonstrably false. And I demonstrate why 3 of the 4 points are false.

As for serious introspection, I have always been both serious and introspective. I don't call any PSR a false prophet, but I do say they can and do make errant statements. If you cannot address the specific issues I raise with 3 of the 4 points, and merely wring your hands that I am in disagreement with something a General Authority said...I would also recommend some serious introspection...and an understanding of an Appeal to Authority fallacy.

Plenty of past GAs have been called on the carpet for teaching an incorrect doctrine, even past prophets such as Brigham Young have had their teachings later dismissed as "non-doctrinal" by later prophets.

So please, I would welcome being shown how the counter points I have made are invalid or untrue. Thanks for any effort you expend to correct me or to keep others from being misguided if my thoughts expressed above are incorrect.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Original_Intent wrote: March 22nd, 2017, 12:26 pm I disagree with the four tests laid out by Marion G. Romney. To me they are demonstrably incorrect.

I agree wholeheartedly with your reference to D&C 46:7 - that is a far more correct test for avoiding deception.

I will very easily show that the four tests cannot be true.

1. Is saying that a secular truth can never be God's truth. All truth is God's truth,
2. The importance of labeling is completely irrelevant to whether the subject is true or not.
3. I completely agree with.
4. Why then did General Authorities widely quote such non-LDS thinkers such as C.S. Lewis in the past? Did the fact that they quoted him, and others, then validate the thought and "make it true" because by them repeating the thought, it now came thru proper church channels? What paradoxical nonsense it would be to make such and argument.

Far better to stick with the scripture you quoted
I will disagree with you on the first test based on the part of Romney's comment you didn't address. Before giving his first point he said, assuming the quote from Marco is complete and accurate, "Anything purporting to pertain to the Gospel of Jesus Christ may be put to the following four simple tests."
If Romney had been saying anything purporting to be truth may be put to those tests, then we would be in agreement and the fact that electric theory wasn't given to us by general authorities but allows computers and computer networks to work would prove him wrong.

However, I have to agree with you on the fourth test. It's too bad this didn't come up while Romney was still alive so we can't ask about people outside the church who are teaching truth. Perhaps Romney was referring to "new" truth or doctrine?

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Good points Brianj. And if we are talking about things that are declared to be revelation intended for the world, I would say that ll four tests apply, and it well defines proper revelation intended for the world.

But this was given in the context of "Keys to Avoiding Deception." So I was in error to disagree with what Elder Marion G. Romney stated - what I should have done was disagree with the misappropriation of those four points as "Keys to avoid deception".

Thank you for bringing my thoughts closer to the truth.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Original_Intent wrote: March 22nd, 2017, 5:40 pm Good points Brianj. And if we are talking about things that are declared to be revelation intended for the world, I would say that ll four tests apply, and it well defines proper revelation intended for the world.

But this was given in the context of "Keys to Avoiding Deception." So I was in error to disagree with what Elder Marion G. Romney stated - what I should have done was disagree with the misappropriation of those four points as "Keys to avoid deception".

Thank you for bringing my thoughts closer to the truth.
I think you simply misunderstand what MGR said and interpreted his words differently than his intentions were. That's my opinion. I can't tell if you've over thought his words or if you haven't thought them through.

#1- for example-
1. Does it purport to originate in the wisdom of men, or was it revealed from heaven? If it originated in the wisdom of men, it is not of God. …

1 Cor 2:5- That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

Scripture supports M.G.R.
Not to mention he used the word "originate". You think men can originate truth? I don't. Like you said, "all truth is God's truth".

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

IT sure makes you want to be sure you know who Jesus Christ really is, and who He is not. If He were on the earth today and came up to us and asked us who He was, would we have the Holy Spirit with us strongly enough to discern who it was or would we be waiting for a word from the prophet as to who it was? Look, we all should follow the prophet, but that is because the prophet speaks truth.

John 1
49 Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.

50 Jesus answered and said unto him, Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these.