What Nephi and the Ancient Prophets were told Not to Write about Our Day

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Zion2080
captain of 100

What Nephi and the Ancient Prophets were told Not to Write about Our Day

Post by Zion2080 »

Nephi and the ancient prophets were told to record certain things only such as important lessons for our day. They were probably shown things like the inventions such as the iPhone and rockets, but were forbidden to speak of. There are probably things that Noah was forbidden to speak of in his times. Do you have any ideas or sources that could maybe support these things. I've looked myself and have not really found anything. I'm just curious because prophets, many times, tells us that they cannot tell us other things of their times and ours. What would happen if they were allowed??

" An behold I, Nephi, am forbidden that I should write the remainder of the things which I saw and heard; wherefore the
things which I have written sufficeth me; and I have written but a small part of things which I saw."

1 Nephi 14:28

WhereCanITurn4Peace
captain of 100

Re: What Nephi and the Ancient Prophets were told Not to Write about Our Day

Post by WhereCanITurn4Peace »

If I'm understanding your post correctly, this scripture comes to mind:

D&C 19:22

For they cannot bear meat now, but milk they must receive; wherefore, they must not know these things, lest they perish.

Our Father is just, but also merciful. Words cannot express how grateful I am for His tender mercies.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Moroni clearly stated that he had seen us and our day in Mormon 8:35. The several preceding verses describe conditions in our day. Though I don't recall him explicitly stating it, I believe Mormon also saw his future audience.

Nephi also saw our day. When he describes the great vision he experienced after asking to see his father's vision, he said that he saw what John wrote of in Revelation but was told to not write it down. We are told that the vision of Jared's brother showed him everything from the creation to the end of the world, and that his vision is so detailed that if we had it we wouldn't be able to exercise faith because we would know the truth of the scriptures. Therefore that portion of the Book of Mormon, comprising half to two thirds of the plates, is currently sealed.

I don't know if they learned the names of our modern machinery, but it's entirely possible that they saw things without learning the names. One day we'll know that little tidbit, but it isn't important to me.

96walker
captain of 100

Post by 96walker »

brianj wrote:I don't know if they learned the names of our modern machinery, but it's entirely possible that they saw things without learning the names. One day we'll know that little tidbit, but it isn't important to me.
I agree Brian. 3 Nephi 21:14 comes to mind when I read your statement.

"14 Yea, wo be unto the Gentiles except they repent; for it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Father, that I will cut off thy horses out of the midst of thee, and I will destroy thy chariots;"

To me this makes me think that he saw our automobiles but did not have the words to describe them. Using the only words he had at his disposal he makes the attempt to tell us how we could lose our means of travel if we do not repent. It conjures up a thought of a possible EMP or several EMPs that would knock out most modern cars that rely on computer systems and electronics to operate.

Just a thought. =)

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

brianj wrote:Moroni clearly stated that he had seen us and our day in Mormon 8:35. The several preceding verses describe conditions in our day. Though I don't recall him explicitly stating it, I believe Mormon also saw his future audience.

Nephi also saw our day. When he describes the great vision he experienced after asking to see his father's vision, he said that he saw what John wrote of in Revelation but was told to not write it down. We are told that the vision of Jared's brother showed him everything from the creation to the end of the world, and that his vision is so detailed that if we had it we wouldn't be able to exercise faith because we would know the truth of the scriptures. Therefore that portion of the Book of Mormon, comprising half to two thirds of the plates, is currently sealed.

I don't know if they learned the names of our modern machinery, but it's entirely possible that they saw things without learning the names. One day we'll know that little tidbit, but it isn't important to me.
I don't think they knew our terms for our modern day machinery. Can't forget about Isaiah and what he saw? From David J Ridges book "50 signs of the Times" (Newer version is now out) he states concerning the gathering of Israel: (His comments in parenthesis.)

Isaiah 5:26-30

26 And he will lift up an ensign (flag, rallying point; the true gospel) to the nations from far, and will hiss (whistle; a signal to gather) unto them from the end of the earth: and behold they shall come with speed swiftly (modern transportation)

27 None shall be wary nor stumble among them: none shall slumber nor sleep; neither shall the girdle of their loins be loosed, nor the latchet of their shoes be broken (they will travel so fast that they won't need to change clothes or even take their shoes off)

28 Whose arrows are sharp and all their bows bent their horses' hoofs shall be counted like flint and their wheels like a whirlwind (trains, airplanes?)

29 Their roaring shall be like a lion (airplanes etc?) they shall roar like young lions; yea they shall roar and lay hold of the prey (passengers in modern types of transportation?) and carry it away safe, and none shall deliver it (the converts, i.e. none will stop the gathering in the last days)

30 And in that day (the Last Days) they shall roar against them like the roaring of the sea: and if one look unto the land, light is darkened in the heavens thereof (conditions in the last days, such as war, smoke, and pollution's?)

Makes sense to me.

GrandMasterB
captain of 1,000

Post by GrandMasterB »

Zion2080 wrote:Nephi and the ancient prophets were told to record certain things only such as important lessons for our day. They were probably shown things like the inventions such as the iPhone and rockets, but were forbidden to speak of. There are probably things that Noah was forbidden to speak of in his times. Do you have any ideas or sources that could maybe support these things. I've looked myself and have not really found anything. I'm just curious because prophets, many times, tells us that they cannot tell us other things of their times and ours. What would happen if they were allowed??

" An behold I, Nephi, am forbidden that I should write the remainder of the things which I saw and heard; wherefore the
things which I have written sufficeth me; and I have written but a small part of things which I saw."

They probably saw Trump as president and didn't know how to describe an orange cheetos faced man.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

"6 And now there cannot be written in this book even a hundredth part of the things which Jesus did truly teach unto the people;

7 But behold the plates of Nephi do contain the more part of the things which he taught the people.

8 And these things have I written, which are a lesser part of the things which he taught the people; and I have written them to the intent that they may be brought again unto this people, from the Gentiles, according to the words which Jesus hath spoken.

9 And when they shall have received this, which is expedient that they should have first, to try their faith, and if it shall so be that they shall believe these things then shall the greater things be made manifest unto them.

10 And if it so be that they will not believe these things, then shall the greater things be withheld from them, unto their condemnation.

11 Behold, I was about to write them, all which were engraven upon the plates of Nephi, but the Lord forbade it, saying: I will try the faith of my people.

12 Therefore I, Mormon, do write the things which have been commanded me of the Lord. And now I, Mormon, make an end of my sayings,...
" (3ne 26)

what would be those greater things??
are they d&c, pearl of great price, general conference talk??
have those greater things still withheld or partially given??? getting close to the total condemnation???
:-B

Zion2080
captain of 100

Post by Zion2080 »

GrandMasterB wrote:
Zion2080 wrote:Nephi and the ancient prophets were told to record certain things only such as important lessons for our day. They were probably shown things like the inventions such as the iPhone and rockets, but were forbidden to speak of. There are probably things that Noah was forbidden to speak of in his times. Do you have any ideas or sources that could maybe support these things. I've looked myself and have not really found anything. I'm just curious because prophets, many times, tells us that they cannot tell us other things of their times and ours. What would happen if they were allowed??

They probably saw Trump as president and didn't know how to describe an orange cheetos faced man.

That just made my day! :)) :))

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Zion2080 wrote:...

I'm guessing they were told they couldn't write about what modern-day leftists would become, because it would basically be impossible for others to believe people could be that friggin' stupid.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

Nephi was not permitted to go on because it was John the Revelator's calling to describe what he was about to.

Rosevhs
captain of 10

Post by Rosevhs »

If you want to know what they saw, then read the Book of Revelations. Nephi was told by an angel that the calling of foretelling what would happen in the last days was given to "the apostle named John"

Rosevhs
captain of 10

Post by Rosevhs »

I would be very interested to hear what y'all think about this commentary on Revelations 12. It seems pertinant to this conversation and could answer (if it is accurate) some of your questions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... vKR5neGYa8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;