The GAS Prophesy is False? Yay!

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Zion2080
captain of 100

The GAS Prophesy is False? Yay!

Post by Zion2080 »

I've read tons of stuff on this forum and did some research online and whatnot. I don't think that the GAS prophecy will be fulfilled. I mean, some people in the LDS communities ( and the forum) think that tomorrow will be the start of World War III. I don't think that a president of the church would EVER tell everyone something like this. It's like Monson telling everyone that the second coming is next year. What are your thoughts on this? A war that starts in less than a month or a war that starts in 9 years (so to speak)?
Last edited by Zion2080 on January 20th, 2017, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

gangbusters
captain of 100

Re: The GAS Prophecy Will Probably not be Fulfilled

Post by gangbusters »

I think it's obvious by now the GAS prophecy is just false. My personal opinion, and I don't mean to offend anyone who's close to the Hornes, I think it was most likely spun out of thin air. My hunch is that the whole Greek thing came about when Dukakis was running for president. That coupled with the Cold War jitters everyone had back then makes for a great tale.

Our church has a long history of otherwise good people wanting attention and, knowing our people gravitate to tales of the fantastic, especially concerning the second coming, something we all eagerly look forward to, they just can't help themselves. I liken it to UFO sightings in the 50's. Tons of people saw "flying saucers," some claimed to see little green men. It was the en vogue attention grabber of the day. Now it's visions and calamity. I'm not saying people can't have visions, but the field is so crowded nowadays with attention seekers it's almost impossible to trust anyone.

That being said, I'll eat humble pie if Barry starts a coup and retains power!

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Zion2080 wrote:I've read tons of stuff on this forum and did some research online and whatnot. I don't think that the GAS prophecy will be fulfilled. I mean, some people in the LDS communities ( and the forum) think that tomorrow will be the start of World War III. I don't think that a president of the church would EVER tell everyone something like this. It's like Monson telling everyone that the second coming is next year. What are your thoughts on this? A war that starts in less than a month or a war that starts in 9 years (so to speak)?
Hey guys, there is a new MLM business opportunity where you can make as much as a living as you like, just kick back and push some buttons on your computer or smart phone.

Who's in?!

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Zion2080 wrote:I've read tons of stuff on this forum and did some research online and whatnot. I don't think that the GAS prophecy will be fulfilled. I mean, some people in the LDS communities ( and the forum) think that tomorrow will be the start of World War III. I don't think that a president of the church would EVER tell everyone something like this. It's like Monson telling everyone that the second coming is next year. What are your thoughts on this? A war that starts in less than a month or a war that starts in 9 years (so to speak)?
According to the GAS prophecy, which David Horne is the source for, tomorrow is not the start of WWIII. The war was supposed to start on a holiday, not on inauguration day--a holiday between the election and inauguration day. And, I don't think a president would tell anyone this either.

It also was supposed to start at a time when the people would have lost their weapons and the President would be someone who is of 'non-european ancestry'.

It's pretty clear that the GAS Prophecy is not going to be fulfilled.

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

I talked to my Dad tonight about the GAS account. He said that when he talked to Bro.Horne by phone the other night that Bro.Horne (who has developed some mild dementia) still rememvers my Dad well but didn't believe anything was eminent and that more things still needed to happen such as conflict with Russia over Alaska. (that is a new detail not in the original accounts)

Anyways, I think its impossible to know if this account is true. My Dad is good friends with Bro. Horne and neutral about the GAS account. Could be true, false, or misremembered.

About the details of the GAS account. The details of WW3 are not really that suprising. You don't need the GAS account to know that the US is headed to WW3 at some point. (many other people are saying this including Putin) The only detail in the GAS account that was potentially important was the timing (after the election but before the inauguration). But now Bro.Horne was saying that he may have misremembered that detail.

So, I think the account is discredited or at least the most useful/interesting part of the account. Even if true, without the timing details, it isn't useful.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

davedan wrote:I talked to my Dad tonight about the GAS account. He said that when he talked to Bro.Horne by phone the other night that Bro.Horne (who has developed some mild dementia) still rememvers my Dad well but didn't believe anything was eminent and that more things still needed to happen such as conflict with Russia over Alaska. (that is a new detail not in the original accounts)

Anyways, I think its impossible to know if this account is true. My Dad is good friends with Bro. Horne and neutral about the GAS account. Could be true, false, or misremembered.

About the details of the GAS account. The details of WW3 are not really that suprising. You don't need the GAS account to know that the US is headed to WW3 at some point. (many other people are saying this including Putin) The only detail in the GAS account that was potentially important was the timing (after the election but before the inauguration). But now Bro.Horne was saying that he may have misremembered that detail.

So, I think the account is discredited or at least the most useful/interesting part of the account. Even if true, without the timing details, it isn't useful.
Davedan,
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate learning directly about Bro. Horne's comments without the breathless commentary by kirtland. I wonder if it would hurt Bro. Horne's psyche to have your dad sit with him, knee to knee, and lovingly look him in the eye and ask:
Do you realize that hundreds, perhaps thousands of members of the Church had their lives mildly to massively disrupted because of your "misremembered" details?

Given Bro. Horne's dementia, I don't want to do anything to upset him. There is a twin brother though. How is his condition? Does your father know him well? Same question to the twin possible?

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Silver wrote:
davedan wrote:I talked to my Dad tonight about the GAS account. He said that when he talked to Bro.Horne by phone the other night that Bro.Horne (who has developed some mild dementia) still rememvers my Dad well but didn't believe anything was eminent and that more things still needed to happen such as conflict with Russia over Alaska. (that is a new detail not in the original accounts)

Davedan,
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate learning directly about Bro. Horne's comments without the breathless commentary by kirtland. I wonder if it would hurt Bro. Horne's psyche to have your dad sit with him, knee to knee, and lovingly look him in the eye and ask:
Do you realize that hundreds, perhaps thousands of members of the Church had their lives mildly to massively disrupted because of your "misremembered" details?

Given Bro. Horne's dementia, I don't want to do anything to upset him. There is a twin brother though. How is his condition? Does your father know him well? Same question to the twin possible?
Please don't, Davedan. Brother Horne doesn't need to be blamed for the choices of others. If they disrupted their lives because they believed in a false prophecy, that was their decision. Unless he was being deliberately deceitful, he doesn't deserve blame--and I don't believe he was. And frankly, having seen dementia and it's progress in some of my own family, I would never want anyone to cause him more pain, it's a terrible thing to deal with and they don't need more stress.

I also don't think you should ask other family members--it's too late to try to save this thing, it's been too many years and none of the others felt the need to write it down? How could we feel any confidence in their memories??

I don't know what was the situation with this prophecy. I don't know David Horne, but some have vouched for his integrity and so I don't believe he meant to mislead people. I think more likely he misremembered events from 40 years before and then 'remembered' them in a way that was influenced by world conditions in 1988 when he wrote it down. For all we know, it may not have been George Albert Smith who even shared that particular vision. Or the details of the vision were muddied. But, the facts remain--Pres. Smith never wrote this vision down and did not share it with the members of the church or the Apostles so, IMO, he did not feel it was necessary to do so. I think we can let it go.

Now this doesn't mean that there isn't going to be a World War III--just that we can't predict it using the details in that prophecy.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

AI2.0 wrote:
Silver wrote:

Davedan,

Please don't, Davedan. Brother Horne doesn't need to be blamed for the choices of others. If they disrupted their lives because they believed in a false prophecy, that was their decision. Unless he was being deliberately deceitful, he doesn't deserve blame--and I don't believe he was. And frankly, having seen dementia and it's progress in some of my own family, I would never want anyone to cause him more pain, it's a terrible thing to deal with and they don't need more stress.

I also don't think you should ask other family members--it's too late to try to save this thing, it's been too many years and none of the others felt the need to write it down? How could we feel any confidence in their memories??

I don't know what was the situation with this prophecy. I don't know David Horne, but some have vouched for his integrity and so I don't believe he meant to mislead people. I think more likely he misremembered events from 40 years before and then 'remembered' them in a way that was influenced by world conditions in 1988 when he wrote it down. For all we know, it may not have been George Albert Smith who even shared that particular vision. Or the details of the vision were muddied. But, the facts remain--Pres. Smith never wrote this vision down and did not share it with the members of the church or the Apostles so, IMO, he did not feel it was necessary to do so. I think we can let it go.

Now this doesn't mean that there isn't going to be a World War III--just that we can't predict it using the details in that prophecy.
Yeah, you're right AI2.0. Let's just let it go.

davedan
captain of 1,000

Re: The GAS Prophesy is False? Yay!

Post by davedan »

If any good came of this, I did change the water in my water barrels.

GrandMasterB
captain of 1,000

Post by GrandMasterB »

I was really hoping to see a mushroom cloud up close. I guess I will have to wait a few more years. :-w

Zion2080
captain of 100

Post by Zion2080 »

GrandMasterB wrote:
I was really hoping to see a mushroom cloud up close. I guess I will have to wait a few more years. :-w

Yeah. Same.