"Visions of Glory" a false book

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Zion2080
captain of 100

"Visions of Glory" a false book

Post by Zion2080 »

Have you read it before? The first time I read through it I knew it was completely false. I prayed about too and I did not receive conformation that it was true. John Pontius and his friend Spencer are clearly delusional. The end was like "Seriously? You saw all of it. I don't believe it one bit." Any thoughts you would like to share on this book?

Todd
captain of 100

Re: "Visions of Glory" a false book

Post by Todd »

Zion2080 wrote:Have you read it before? The first time I read through it I knew it was completely false. I prayed about too and I did not receive conformation that it was true. John Pontius and his friend Spencer are clearly delusional. The end was like "Seriously? You saw all of it. I don't believe it one bit." Any thoughts you would like to share on this book?
From personal experience I agree with a lot of what he wrote in the first half of the book. After the "earthquake", he lost me. My guess is that a lot of what he saw in future was symbolic. Just my opinion. I'm sure others will disagree.

Cheers.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Only read one chapter and when he mentioned that Christ appeared in the Conference Center in a suit just after a big earthquake and flood, that was when I put it down and deemed it bogus.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Col. Flagg wrote:Only read one chapter and when he mentioned that Christ appeared in the Conference Center in a suit just after a big earthquake and flood, that was when I put it down and deemed it bogus.
Did you put down the Bible and deem it bogus when it mentioned Christ appearing to disciples in what somebody walking down the road would wear?

I understand that our Savior will be working side by side with the Saints building the temple of Zion. He will not be in glory at that time, and based on some recent experiences I am wondering if He gives many or all of us at least one visit while in mortality. Some of us have entertained angles unawares (Heb 13:2) so why should it surprise us that the Savior could visit us without us being aware?

Zion2080
captain of 100

Post by Zion2080 »

brianj wrote:
Col. Flagg wrote:Only read one chapter and when he mentioned that Christ appeared in the Conference Center in a suit just after a big earthquake and flood, that was when I put it down and deemed it bogus.
Did you put down the Bible and deem it bogus when it mentioned Christ appearing to disciples in what somebody walking down the road would wear?

I understand that our Savior will be working side by side with the Saints building the temple of Zion. He will not be in glory at that time, and based on some recent experiences I am wondering if He gives many or all of us at least one visit while in mortality. Some of us have entertained angles unawares (Heb 13:2) so why should it surprise us that the Savior could visit us without us being aware?

Halfway through the book it became apparent it was false.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

brianj wrote:

Christ will not be appearing in a suit to anyone under any circumstances, that much I know. :))

GrandMasterB
captain of 1,000

Post by GrandMasterB »

Zion2080 wrote:
brianj wrote:

Was that before or after he went back in time through a portal in the New Jerusalem?

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

Medicore LDS fiction.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

mirkwood wrote:Medicore LDS fiction.
You mean "mediocre", right? And if so, I agree!

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Good eye, passionflower, good eye.
I just read that as mediocre.
dc

Zion2080
captain of 100

Post by Zion2080 »

GrandMasterB wrote:
Zion2080 wrote:
brianj wrote:

Was that before or after he went back in time through a portal in the New Jerusalem?

It was probably right before that. most likely during.

cayenne
captain of 100

Post by cayenne »

This is interesting. When his book first came out people on this forum were just raving about it! I felt like from day 1 something was off with it. Was he making it up? Or at least some of it? Or did he really have some experience that he embellished? I am surprised Avraham Gileadi took to him. I don't know if he still does. I am glad to see people on here seeming to realize his book is questionable.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

Science fiction.... like a crappy episode of Deep Space 9.....

Mcox
captain of 100

Post by Mcox »

I read the book Visions of Glory, studied it with friends and realized how bogus it was. All of John Pontius books are woven with questionable doctrine. I also read A Denver Snuffer book, bogus as well. Read a book from Avrahim Gileade, questionable doctrine also. Be very weary where you get your information from.

paulrobots
captain of 100

Post by paulrobots »

I like teotwawki books. It was entertaining. I made it to the part with the hollow earth cave where the 10 tribes live. Ugh, ridiculous. Not that there weren't other things that were out there, but thats when I said enough. I believe there is no spencer, and the author is laughing all the way to the bank.

Oh, and whoever it was on the forum who called it Visions of Grandeur, was spot on.

thisisspartaaa
captain of 100

Post by thisisspartaaa »

Col. Flagg wrote:
brianj wrote:

Christ will not be appearing in a suit to anyone under any circumstances, that much I know. :))
Business Jesus?

Todd
captain of 100

Post by Todd »

paulrobots wrote:. I believe there is no spencer, and the author is laughing all the way to the bank.
The author died shortly after the book was published. I doubt he laughed very much.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

If we want to get to know the Lord we have to be more sci fi in our thinking. It is time for the Sci Fi Revolution. We cannot have a millennium with world peace without some significant changes in our reality, thinking, and technology. The earth has been striving for 7000 years and we still end up killing each other off in war.

I believe the book to be true. I believe we Astral travel in our dreams. I believe the Lord has so much for us that He cannot give us because of unbelief. It is time to wake up, folks. People like Dave Hodges and Simon Parkes will tell you star trek was written to ease the public into understanding the truth. As Neal A Maxwell said, "we are not alone in the universe."

Part of being humble is being teachable. How can anyone use past experience as a guide as to what to accept and what to dismiss? What if babies did that. What if they come out believing they have no parents because they didn't see them the last 9 months? With all due respect, be a little more open to things. You might learn something.

gangbusters
captain of 100

Post by gangbusters »

One of the big issues I had with the book is the incredible detail he claims to have seen. It just struck me as contrived.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

paulrobots wrote:I like teotwawki books. It was entertaining. I made it to the part with the hollow earth cave where the 10 tribes live. Ugh, ridiculous. Not that there weren't other things that were out there, but thats when I said enough. I believe there is no spencer, and the author is laughing all the way to the bank.

Oh, and whoever it was on the forum who called it Visions of Grandeur, was spot on.
That was little ole me :D

Actually there really is a Spencer. He is a mental health care worker! I wouldn't let that guy psychoanalyze my cat. He's got serious problems.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Todd wrote:
paulrobots wrote:. I believe there is no spencer, and the author is laughing all the way to the bank.
The author died shortly after the book was published. I doubt he laughed very much.
And his source, referenced in the book by the pseudonym Spencer, has been identified. In a talk he gave that was recorded and placed online, he said that the experience was real but he doesn't know what if any of it is literal.

I really like the book because of the messages that God is in charge and whatever we go through will be for our benefit. Some parts bothered me. Some of you can't accept that the Savior could possibly appear in a conference dressed as a typical church member and not in glory, but the only part of that story that really bothered me is the idea that they would have a couple of public conference sessions then sustain new members of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve in a private, closed session. Since I joined the church, and since before I was born, members of the Quorum of the Twelve have only been ordained after they were sustained in an open session of General Conference. I would have a very hard time sustaining someone after they were first sustained in a secret session then ordained. I don't know if I could sustain them unless a satisfactory explanation was given of why it was done secretively when the scriptures so strongly oppose secret works.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

JK4Woods wrote:Science fiction.... like a crappy episode of Deep Space 9.....
Do not mock Odo. :D

GrandMasterB
captain of 1,000

Post by GrandMasterB »

Todd wrote:
Maybe he laughed so hard he died?

thisisspartaaa
captain of 100

Post by thisisspartaaa »

brianj wrote:
Todd wrote:
And his source, referenced in the book by the pseudonym Spencer, has been identified. In a talk he gave that was recorded and placed online, he said that the experience was real but he doesn't know what if any of it is literal.

I really like the book because of the messages that God is in charge and whatever we go through will be for our benefit. Some parts bothered me. Some of you can't accept that the Savior could possibly appear in a conference dressed as a typical church member and not in glory, but the only part of that story that really bothered me is the idea that they would have a couple of public conference sessions then sustain new members of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve in a private, closed session. Since I joined the church, and since before I was born, members of the Quorum of the Twelve have only been ordained after they were sustained in an open session of General Conference. I would have a very hard time sustaining someone after they were first sustained in a secret session then ordained. I don't know if I could sustain them unless a satisfactory explanation was given of why it was done secretively when the scriptures so strongly oppose secret works.
Jesus is glory. He wouldn't hide it. Second, God has said how he runs his Church. There is no secret sustaining. This is one amongst many reasons why this book is false.

thisisspartaaa
captain of 100

Post by thisisspartaaa »

Juliet wrote:If we want to get to know the Lord we have to be more sci fi in our thinking. It is time for the Sci Fi Revolution. We cannot have a millennium with world peace without some significant changes in our reality, thinking, and technology. The earth has been striving for 7000 years and we still end up killing each other off in war.

I believe the book to be true. I believe we Astral travel in our dreams. I believe the Lord has so much for us that He cannot give us because of unbelief. It is time to wake up, folks. People like Dave Hodges and Simon Parkes will tell you star trek was written to ease the public into understanding the truth. As Neal A Maxwell said, "we are not alone in the universe."

Part of being humble is being teachable. How can anyone use past experience as a guide as to what to accept and what to dismiss? What if babies did that. What if they come out believing they have no parents because they didn't see them the last 9 months? With all due respect, be a little more open to things. You might learn something.
You're free to believe what you want but others have their beliefs and can disagree with yours. Astral projection is satanic. And no, we don't need to get more sci fi in our thinking.

Ridiculous.