Next week, no American aircraft carriers deployed at sea anywhere in the world

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Next week, no American aircraft carriers deployed at sea anywhere in the world

Post by Silver »

brianj wrote:
Silver wrote:Another Latter-Day Saint with so much love in his heart. You just love your enemies to death, doncha?
You and I have very different definitions of love. If somebody points a gun at you, perhaps you would try giving them a hug. Did the Nephites and Sons of Helaman act with malice when they killed Lamanites in battle?

Loving doesn't mean submitting to your enemies. Yes, I love my enemies and I try to pray for those who persecute me. But that doesn't mean that I don't act to defend myself and others.
When you're speaking nobly of defense, you and I probably have few differences. The US, however, has not been in a defensive position for a long time (well, except for the blowback defense lately because we meddled in other countries' governments and elections). Would you please focus on how America has been the aggressor?

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS
captain of 100

Re: Next week, no American aircraft carriers deployed at sea anywhere in the world

Post by I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS »

Enough of the, "If America were righteous, the Lord will fight our battles." Guess what, America is not righteous and until that day comes I support having a strong military.
As another poster said above, you want to see destruction on an unfathomable scale, wait until America's military is defeated. America and the threat of its intervention is the only thing keeping many of the world's bad actors from taking a spoil. When that deterrent is gone, God help the world.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS wrote:Enough of the, "If America were righteous, the Lord will fight our battles." Guess what, America is not righteous and until that day comes I support having a strong military.
As another poster said above, you want to see destruction on an unfathomable scale, wait until America's military is defeated. America and the threat of its intervention is the only thing keeping many of the world's bad actors from taking a spoil. When that deterrent is gone, God help the world.
Enough for you maybe. I am sick of America attacking other countries. President Kimball warned us about being warlike. Take it up with him.

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS
captain of 100

Post by I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS »

"Furthermore, we are a freedom-loving people, committed to the defense of liberty wherever it is in jeopardy. I believe that God will not hold men and women in uniform responsible as agents of their government in carrying forward that which they are legally obligated to do. It may even be that He will hold us responsible if we try to impede or hedge up the way of those who are involved in a contest with forces of evil and repression." -Gordon B Hinkley

"We are people of peace. We are followers of the Christ who was and is the Prince of Peace. But there are times when we must stand up for right and decency, for freedom and civilization, just as Moroni rallied his people in his day to the defense of their wives, their children, and the cause of liberty." -Gordon B. Hinkley

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

brianj wrote:
Onsdag wrote:So... Now that the week has come and gone with nothing happening can we all agree this was a non-issue?
In the OP, Kirtland called all carriers in port a creepy situation. In a subsequent post I called it a worrisome situation. What happened was an issue, and was an opportunity hostile nations could have taken advantage of.

We can all agree that nothing happened, but I would never call the one time in over 70 years that the US Navy didn't have a carrier at sea a non-issue.
It really wasn't an issue, it's not like carriers are the only thing we have nor is the navy the only military branch we have. We have bases all over the world, we have destroyers patrolling the seas and oceans. It wasn't a big deal.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

brianj wrote:
Onsdag wrote:So... Now that the week has come and gone with nothing happening can we all agree this was a non-issue?
In the OP, Kirtland called all carriers in port a creepy situation. In a subsequent post I called it a worrisome situation. What happened was an issue, and was an opportunity hostile nations could have taken advantage of.

We can all agree that nothing happened, but I would never call the one time in over 70 years that the US Navy didn't have a carrier at sea a non-issue.
Obama has seriously drawn down our military in the last eight years, I believe we are at pre-WWII levels. That may be one reason why we had no aircraft carriers out. But Fox news pointed out that this didn't mean we were sitting ducks.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/12/30/no ... -east.html
The Eisenhower’s replacement carrier, the USS George H.W. Bush, was delayed by more than six months in the shipyards and will not be able to replace the Ike until early next year, according to Navy officials.

While there is no U.S. aircraft carrier in the Middle East right now, there is a large deck U.S. Navy amphibious assault ship with thousands of Marines on board as well as helicopters and some jets to respond to a crisis, according to officials.In the meantime, the Navy tells Fox News the U.S. military has other jets available to make up for the aircraft carrier gap in the Middle East and elsewhere in the world. The Navy can also “surge” a carrier now in port to deploy if necessary. But the absence of a deployed U.S. Navy aircraft carrier, long seen as a symbol of American power projection, is noteworthy. It is believed to be the first time since World War II that at least one U.S. aircraft carrier has not been deployed....
Other factors contribute to the U.S. Navy not having an aircraft carrier deployed anywhere in the world right now. From 2011 to 2013, the Navy maintained two carriers in the Persian Gulf on the orders of Centcom's then-commander, Gen. James Mattis, who is now President-elect Donald Trump’s pick for defense secretary.

The congressionally mandated budget cuts known as sequestration have also been felt on the waterfront since 2011. After billions of dollars were cut from the Navy’s budget, ships such as the George H.W. Bush were forced to prolong their time in the shipyards, which had a ripple effect down the line. If the Bush had left the shipyard on time, she would have relieved the Ike in the Gulf or the Mediterranean, officials tell Fox News.
I appreciate posters sharing interesting information, but I don't appreciate their doing so in a conspiratorial manner....some made a lot more out of this than it warranted.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Spider wrote:I've had many great opportunities to travel many places this last year. I'm grateful I haven't let fear of calamities prevent me from living my life to the fullest.
I did too. I feel bad for anyone who allowed the doomsayers of the last year to keep them from living life fully. Yes, we live in perilous times, but it will make a person nuts if they live thinking any day we're going to be attacked or bombed. If I lived in Syria, that would be my reality and I'd HAVE to live life knowing that was a real possibility, but so far, it's not our 'reality' yet.

It's also not a reality that is pushed or presented by our LDS church leaders. They are always upbeat and positive.

Onsdag
captain of 100

Post by Onsdag »

AI2.0 wrote:
brianj wrote:

Obama has seriously drawn down our military in the last eight years, I believe we are at pre-WWII levels. That may be one reason why we had no aircraft carriers out. But Fox news pointed out that this didn't mean we were sitting ducks.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/12/30/no ... -east.html
The Eisenhower’s replacement carrier, the USS George H.W. Bush, was delayed by more than six months in the shipyards and will not be able to replace the Ike until early next year, according to Navy officials.

While there is no U.S. aircraft carrier in the Middle East right now, there is a large deck U.S. Navy amphibious assault ship with thousands of Marines on board as well as helicopters and some jets to respond to a crisis, according to officials.In the meantime, the Navy tells Fox News the U.S. military has other jets available to make up for the aircraft carrier gap in the Middle East and elsewhere in the world. The Navy can also “surge” a carrier now in port to deploy if necessary. But the absence of a deployed U.S. Navy aircraft carrier, long seen as a symbol of American power projection, is noteworthy. It is believed to be the first time since World War II that at least one U.S. aircraft carrier has not been deployed....
Other factors contribute to the U.S. Navy not having an aircraft carrier deployed anywhere in the world right now. From 2011 to 2013, the Navy maintained two carriers in the Persian Gulf on the orders of Centcom's then-commander, Gen. James Mattis, who is now President-elect Donald Trump’s pick for defense secretary.

The congressionally mandated budget cuts known as sequestration have also been felt on the waterfront since 2011. After billions of dollars were cut from the Navy’s budget, ships such as the George H.W. Bush were forced to prolong their time in the shipyards, which had a ripple effect down the line. If the Bush had left the shipyard on time, she would have relieved the Ike in the Gulf or the Mediterranean, officials tell Fox News.
I appreciate posters sharing interesting information, but I don't appreciate their doing so in a conspiratorial manner....some made a lot more out of this than it warranted.
Agreed. I don't mind people posting newsworthy things such as the article itself - I enjoy keeping abreast of current and world events as the next person. However, what I object to is the fear-inducing way in which certain people tend to present said items of interest. The way we present things can have the effect of causing undue anxiety in others. I've been guilty of this too in the past. All's I'm saying is just be more careful and considerate in what we present and how we do it.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Different wrote:
Silver wrote:
KurtTheMormon wrote:
kirtland r.m. wrote:A very creepy situation is about to happen, take a look at this.http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/12/30/no ... -east.html
Ignore the people giving you flak here. I appreciate that you posted this info.
So magnanimous while ignoring all his false claims.

The lord will come like a thief in the night. Dont expect to many direct warnings. Even until the day before his great and terrible coming men shall say what is written in scripture. They will deny it, much like many other groups of men throughout history.

As mortal men I think we grow prideful and think nothing will ever occur. But how wrong we are. - Different
Well recognition is the first step Different.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

AI2.0 wrote: I feel bad for anyone who allowed the doomsayers of the last year to keep them from living life fully.
:ymapplause:

I look forward to my European trip later this year.