What Year are We Actually Living In?

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Zion2080
captain of 100

What Year are We Actually Living In?

Post by Zion2080 »

Since the birth of Jesus Christ is just a year in world history. What year are we actually living in? And how close are we to the 7000th year? I believe that we are living between the year 6800-7000 since the Fall of Man. Share your thoughts!

paulrobots
captain of 100

Re: What Year are We Actually Living In?

Post by paulrobots »

Jesus was said to have come in "the meridian" of time but I don't know what that means. I have read various opinions on it but the timing always seems off to me.

The Jews are calling 2017 year 5777 but I don't know why.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

I am thinking the Jews are probably close. Supposedly that is how many years since Adam got booted from the GoE - at least that is the Jews' best calculation from when they started keeping a calendar (I am not sure when that was.

To the OP, I think you mean 5800-6000 years since ~ 6000-7000 is the Millenium. Which would also align pretty close to the Jewish calendar.

A thought I have had is that the Nephites arrived here 600 years before Christ's birth, possibly a type and shadow of the 2nd coming? (doubtful) but that would be 1492 +600 = 2092.

I have also heard 2033 because in the Good Samaritan story, the Samaritan was away 2 days (i.e. 2000 years) before returning to the person he helped. So 2000 years after Christ left us.

Who knows? :)

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

I have always thought of the meridian of time as before the atonement and after the atonement.

Regarding what year it is, a popular belief among Christians is that we are right about at 6,000. The belief is that it was 4,000 years from Adam to Jesus, and we have good reason to believe it has been just over 2,000 years since His birth. Therefore, if we use the principle that 1,000 years on earth is one day to Father, the Savior's millennial reign will be a sabbath millennium.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

paulrobots wrote:Jesus was said to have come in "the meridian" of time but I don't know what that means. I have read various opinions on it but the timing always seems off to me.

The Meridian of Time, literally means the middle of mortal existence. Mortal existence continues till at least the 8th day, hence Christ's birth around 0AD would be the middle.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31937&p=572225#p572225" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jewish calendar represents the number of years since Adam and they have formulated that number by adding up the ages of people in the Bible back to the time of creation. As you can imagine, there is a lot of inaccuracies trying to do that. Could be decades or centuries off.

2EstablishZion
captain of 100

Post by 2EstablishZion »

Sunain, while I personally agree with you, the LDS church has adopted a more nuanced meaning for meridian. they say it simply means the high point of mankind's existence. I'm not a fan, but I know I have read that from "authoritative" sources.

http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Meridian_of_Time" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Zion2080 wrote:Since the birth of Jesus Christ is just a year in world history. What year are we actually living in? And how close are we to the 7000th year? I believe that we are living between the year 6800-7000 since the Fall of Man. Share your thoughts!
The period between 6,000 and 7,000 is the millennium.
So you are 1000 years out according to the general biblical reckoning.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Sunain wrote:
paulrobots wrote:Jesus was said to have come in "the meridian" of time but I don't know what that means. I have read various opinions on it but the timing always seems off to me.

The Meridian of Time, literally means the middle of mortal existence. Mortal existence continues till at least the 8th day, hence Christ's birth around 0AD would be the middle.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31937&p=572225#p572225" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jewish calendar represents the number of years since Adam and they have formulated that number by adding up the ages of people in the Bible back to the time of creation. As you can imagine, there is a lot of inaccuracies trying to do that. Could be decades or centuries off.
No such year as 0 AD.
It went from 1 BC to 1 AD.

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

There was a lunar calendar discovered in Scotland that appears to have tracked the sunrise at winter solstice beginning about 10,000 years ago. So maybe we are in the year 10,000. If we want to start counting from when we first started counting, that is.

World's Oldest Calendar Discovered in UK

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

captainfearnot wrote:There was a lunar calendar discovered in Scotland that appears to have tracked the sunrise at winter solstice beginning about 10,000 years ago. So maybe we are in the year 10,000. If we want to start counting from when we first started counting, that is.

World's Oldest Calendar Discovered in UK
I doubt it is 10,000 years old.
They're probably just Haggis traps anyway. ;)

Zion2080
captain of 100

Post by Zion2080 »

4927 BC- The Fall of Man

3927 BC

2927 BC

1927 BC

927 BC

73 AD

1073 AD

2073 AD- The 7000th Year

(7 years of tribulation)

2080 AD- The Second Coming

FTC
captain of 100

Post by FTC »

Since it stands to reason that God follows the rules/laws that He setup, and since atomic clocks haven't been in function since the most recent past century, its anybody's guess as to how much clock drift there has been in the past 2000 or so years.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

Zion2080 wrote:4927 BC- The Fall of Man

3927 BC

2927 BC

1927 BC

927 BC

73 AD

1073 AD

2073 AD- The 7000th Year

(7 years of tribulation)

Why do you go from 937 BC to 73 AD? Does your 2080 AD year from a certain native american calendar?

Zion2080
captain of 100

Post by Zion2080 »

DesertWonderer wrote:
Zion2080 wrote:4927 BC- The Fall of Man

3927 BC

2927 BC

1927 BC

927 BC

73 AD

1073 AD

2073 AD- The 7000th Year

(7 years of tribulation)

Why do you go from 937 BC to 73 AD? Does your 2080 AD year from a certain native american calendar?
927 BC minus 1000 equals -73

or 73 AD 937+73= 1000

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Robin Hood wrote:No such year as 0 AD.
It went from 1 BC to 1 AD.
Yes, why I said around. +/- BC/AD a few years around that time is Christ's birth. We don't know the exact date for sure.
http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/April_6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zion2080
captain of 100

Post by Zion2080 »

We are probably in the Year 6943 or 6823

7000-6943= 57 years until the 7000th year

7000-6823= 177 years until the 7000th year

Find the middle Point and you get 116.5 years until the 7000th Year which will be:

2132 AD in May.

But in October, 2001, President Hinkely said that the war in the "last century" will be the greatest. So the Second Coming could be in 2200 AD.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Zion2080 wrote:We are probably in the Year 6943 or 6823

7000-6943= 57 years until the 7000th year

7000-6823= 177 years until the 7000th year

Find the middle Point and you get 116.5 years until the 7000th Year which will be:

2132 AD in May.

But in October, 2001, President Hinkely said that the war in the "last century" will be the greatest. So the Second Coming could be in 2200 AD.
This is still 1000 years out.
As a rough guide:
The fall until Christ = 4000 years (meridian of time)
From Christ until millenium = 2000 years (we are in this period now)
Millenium = 1000 years
Satan loosed for a season/final battle = 1000 years
Total = 8000 years

So right now we're in the year 5,800 approx, give or take.
The Jewish calculation is probably about right.
This is why I don't believe we can expect the second coming in our life time, or even our grandchildrens.

Kingdom of ZION
captain of 1,000

Post by Kingdom of ZION »

Last I looked, 2016. :o)

The actual answer is 6019.

The Meridian was the middle of the 8000 years of this creation. 6000 telestial 1000 terrestrial, and 1000 celestial.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

:)) :)) :))
Ask 18 different people, get 18 different answers . . .

Personally I suggest assuming that the end is coming tomorrow before dawn, treat your family members accordingly, and be pleasantly surprised when the sun rises tomorrow.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Meili wrote: Personally I suggest assuming that the end is coming tomorrow before dawn, treat your family members accordingly, and be pleasantly surprised when the sun rises tomorrow.
In a general conference address in April 1950, Elder Richard L. Evans of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles said: “I recall a reported statement, attributed, as I remember it, to President Wilford Woodruff. Some of the brethren of his time are said to have approached him … and to have inquired of him as to when he felt the end would be—when would be the coming of the Master? These, I think, are not his exact words, but they convey the spirit of his reported reply: ‘I would live as if it were to be tomorrow—but I am still planting cherry trees!’”

source

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

FTC wrote:Since it stands to reason that God follows the rules/laws that He setup, and since atomic clocks haven't been in function since the most recent past century, its anybody's guess as to how much clock drift there has been in the past 2000 or so years.
Why is clock drift relevant? You don't need an atomic clock to count the years as they go by.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

inho wrote:
Meili wrote: Personally I suggest assuming that the end is coming tomorrow before dawn, treat your family members accordingly, and be pleasantly surprised when the sun rises tomorrow.
In a general conference address in April 1950, Elder Richard L. Evans of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles said: “I recall a reported statement, attributed, as I remember it, to President Wilford Woodruff. Some of the brethren of his time are said to have approached him … and to have inquired of him as to when he felt the end would be—when would be the coming of the Master? These, I think, are not his exact words, but they convey the spirit of his reported reply: ‘I would live as if it were to be tomorrow—but I am still planting cherry trees!’”

source
Sweet! Wilford Woodruff and I are on the same wave length.

HorribleUsername
captain of 50

Post by HorribleUsername »

I go by what was revealed by Jesus Christ in Doctrine and Covenants, Section 20:1-2, which is as follows:

1 The rise of the Church of Christ in these last days, being one thousand eight hundred and thirty years since the coming of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in the flesh, it being regularly organized and established agreeable to the laws of our country, by the will and commandments of God, in the fourth month, and on the sixth day of the month which is called April
2 Which commandments were given to Joseph Smith, Jun., who was called of God, and ordained an apostle of Jesus Christ, to be the first elder of this church;

I believe we are in 2016.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

It's obvious that something's wrong, otherwise Christmas day would also be new years day.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

HorribleUsername wrote:I go by what was revealed by Jesus Christ in Doctrine and Covenants, Section 20:1-2, which is as follows:

1 The rise of the Church of Christ in these last days, being one thousand eight hundred and thirty years since the coming of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in the flesh, it being regularly organized and established agreeable to the laws of our country, by the will and commandments of God, in the fourth month, and on the sixth day of the month which is called April
2 Which commandments were given to Joseph Smith, Jun., who was called of God, and ordained an apostle of Jesus Christ, to be the first elder of this church;

I believe we are in 2016.
The problem is that verse 1 wasn't revealed by Christ. It is a headnote added by John Whitmer.

Talmage interpreted that verse literally and ever since others have done the same. Nevertheless, not all. There are two other apostles who have also written a book about the mortal life of Jesus. Both J. Reuben Clark and Bruce R. McConkie suggested that Christ was born 5 BC or early 4 BC.

If you are interested to learn more, read Jeffrey R. Chadwick's article Dating the Birth of Christ in BYU Studies.