Time to Fess Up!

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Re: Time to Fess Up!

Post by BeNotDeceived »

rewcox wrote:Ok you dreamers and preppers, it is time to fess up. What value has all the dreams and sensationalism accomplished?

What has been going on for the last 2 years around here is nothing short of "the sky is falling" or "crying wolf". Are you really trying to help, or are you trying to hurt?

Here is a "calm" pill for you. https://www.lds.org/ensign/2014/09/are- ... d?lang=eng
Good to know the prophet is a fellow bird-brain. :-)

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

lone-knight wrote:
GrandMasterB wrote: While reading this I am reminded of the fruits of the spirit; love, joy, and peace not fear and anxiety. Do you have at least the basic requirements for food storage as the church counsels us to have? I would reach a compromise with my wife if I had this going on in my house. Have you offered your wife a priesthood blessing to help her feel at ease over these things? Sounds like she may have went into overdrive protection mode after your daughter was born. I hope you guys can work this through and reduce the stress in your family.
GMB - We continue to build, as we are able. I have tried to reach compromises, to no avail. This is because the end is always around the next immediate corner according to all of the prognosticators. As such, there is no time to build. Rather, for her, it all has to be there now. Btw, according to my counts and calculations, we have over a year of food storage, but she doesn't believe it and insists that we need lots more.

I agree that she likely went into overdrive. I also know more about her medical history now and suspect a great deal of mental illness is impacting life as it is.
I am so sorry lone-knight, it sounds like a drastic change occurred after your last child was born, post partum depression? mixed with tendencies of bipolar, she seems fixated on this last days prepping and I doubt there is much you can do to solve this, if she rejects the medical diagnosis with a solution of medication, then your option is how to find peace with this and salvage your own and children's happiness. I also deal with a loved one that suffers extreme mental illness, my heart goes out to you, there is no quick fix. Maybe a compromise, you will purchase $1,000. Worth of supplies of her choosing if she will go on medication for 6 weeks, an expensive bargain I know, but with the right diagnosis and medication it would be cheap, and she might gain clarity as to her condition . As far as finding peace to live with your burdens the Lord can give you a strong back as long as you are willing to keep your covenants at all costs, you might just find He will even give you rest and carry them as He usually does. Best to you, don't suffer alone the bishop can get some mental health support for you and with the Lord at your side, you can do this.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

lone-knight wrote:Thank you - I understand that the kind words are merely just that, words. I can however say that I really appreciate it. Some days, I feel pretty alone and am just trying to raise 4 great kids while my wife paces, worries that our food storage isn't enough because 'there are people all over having dreams', and just try to hold things together. I really appreciate insights from some of you that help me manage. AI2.0 and Silver among them.

@FTC, I am sorry to hear that you may have been in a similar situation and I'd like to hear more. Why they aren't identical, I do like to have perspective and often feel pretty alone, even though I'm sure that our family isn't the only one to have ever gone though this junk.
I know that reason does nothing to persuade the unreasonable, but have you tried pointing out that they are acting in fear and that fear is the opposite of faith? People have been having dreams for millennia. Much of what we know about the last days comes by way of Isaiah who lived more than a century before Lehi. Yes, many people are having dreams. Many people are having dreams inspired by the Holy Ghost to help prepare them for what is to come. But many people are also having dreams inspired by the adversary so they will make statements that later prove to be false (such as Obama not leaving office) in order to discredit those who are having legitimate visions.

Additionally, point out Alma 16:16. The Spirit was poured out at that time to help prepare the people to receive the words taught at the first coming, but that was more than a century before the resurrection. That was so long before the big visit to the temple in Bountiful that we can be confident that nobody old enough to hear and remember the preaching of Alma would still be alive to witness the events in Bountiful. These visions are being sent to prepare us for what's coming, but that doesn't mean they will happen at any second.

Do your wives believe Hector Sosa or Julie Rowe? If so, point out that they claim to have seen social unrest that almost prevents a Presidential election from happening either just before or just after we are called to gather. Since those events didn't unfold in 2016, can we anticipate having at least four years before bad things happen?

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

lone-knight wrote:Thank you - I understand that the kind words are merely just that, words. I can however say that I really appreciate it. Some days, I feel pretty alone and am just trying to raise 4 great kids while my wife paces, worries that our food storage isn't enough because 'there are people all over having dreams', and just try to hold things together. I really appreciate insights from some of you that help me manage. AI2.0 and Silver among them.

@FTC, I am sorry to hear that you may have been in a similar situation and I'd like to hear more. Why they aren't identical, I do like to have perspective and often feel pretty alone, even though I'm sure that our family isn't the only one to have ever gone though this junk.
No worries, yet :-)

7 years of prosperity begins the first week of April 2017, followed by 7 years of devastation.

FTC
captain of 100

Post by FTC »

The way I went about it is like what brianj is suggesting: "have you tried pointing out that they are acting in fear and that fear is the opposite of faith?".
Since the ex-'s retard husband is going to use Jesus Christ, I asked the kids what Jesus is like. What kind of person is He? How does He make you feel? What kinds of things does He do?
"Good", "nice", "kind", "helpful".
I added in peaceful, and then we talked about how the things Jesus does makes us feel good that way.
Then I asked the kids how the stories the ex-'s husband (and his sister, and a bunch of his family, too) is telling them make them feel.
"Scary", "destruction", "bad stuff", "don't know what's going to happen".
So, if Jesus is about being good and kind, and helping us to feel peace, what does that say about the stories the ex-'s husband is telling? Do they come from Jesus if they are not about peace?
No. They're not from Jesus. If they're not from Jesus, they're not good.
We talked some more about what if the ex-'s husband/family keep telling scary stories like that. The kids didn't really have ideas - my kids are 9 and 11. So we talked about how to tell, straight up, that those stories are not from Jesus because they are not about peace and good things. I told the kids to flat out tell the ex-'s husband to stop telling those scary stories. And we even role-played/practiced saying it as though I were the ex-'s husband. Haha!

Its been a few months since my kids and I talked about that stuff, and they say the husband doesn't tell those stories anymore. However, the kids just spontaneously tell me about some of the "passive-aggressive" prepping the ex-'s husband is still doing.

In any case, lone-knight, this may not work so smoothly for you. You don't have my liberty of being able to tell the kids how much of a moron the ex-'s husband is. Hahaha! And I could easily see how your wife would accuse that you're trying to turn the kids against her.
My next step is to compile these dumb visions/dreams together and go over to the ex-'s bishop, and let him know what's going on with my kids, and suggest that he either have a direct talk with the ex-'s husband, or give a talk in church counseling people to not fall to the stupidity of end-of-world dreamers and visionaries. If the ex-'s bishop gives me some pushback, I won't hesitate to let him know how much of an idiot he is. Again, this also may not work for you so well.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

I appreciate what you said, FTC, but I disagree with one aspect of your statement. When I read Rowe's books, as well as Pontius' book, I didn't feel fear at all. I felt excitement and hope. Sure, all three of the books I am referencing describe bad things to happen, but they left me feeling encouraged and hopeful over the idea that the struggles I currently endure because of the wickedness of the world At times on this forum I have even seen women's clothing advertisements that show transparent blouses! Talk about an inability to escape modern sin!

I have also had a desire to engage in a lot more missionary work. Yes, there will be suffering if what these visionaries claim to have seen are true visions, but these tribulations will greatly humble the survivors so they are open to considering the message of the gospel. The idea if helping bring multiple wards worth of converts into the church is a personal fantasy, but in this case could become reality!

People can look at the writings of Pontius, Rowe, etc. and react with fear, but when I heard Rowe speak she said that she would rather not discuss or dwell on the negative parts of her message. The fact that people focus on the negative doesn't convince me that the message is a negative message.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

brianj wrote:At times on this forum I have even seen women's clothing advertisements that show transparent blouses! Talk about an inability to escape modern sin!
LOL. Look down at the bottom of the page. See the viewers? Among them are the Google/Yahoo bots which followed you here. If you weren't looking at lingerie websites, you would get those advertisements on LDSFF, right?

That's why I get hemorrhoid medicine ads when I'm here.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Silver wrote:LOL. Look down at the bottom of the page. See the viewers? Among them are the Google/Yahoo bots which followed you here. If you weren't looking at lingerie websites, you would get those advertisements on LDSFF, right?

That's why I get hemorrhoid medicine ads when I'm here.
You are 100% correct. There is no way that my wife, who developed a fascination with bikinis immediately before leaving me, could have looked up a bunch of that stuff on my computer.

lone-knight
captain of 50

Post by lone-knight »

I do apologize that this particular thread has turned into a bit of an LK support group. As I said before, it can get pretty lonely because I tend to be a pretty private guy normally. I do appreciate the input and perspectives.

@FTC: You're totally right. I don't have the luxury of telling off my wife about this stuff. I have; however, been counseling with my kids pretty regularly. Never with the intent of turning them against my wife... rather with the intent that they could deal with the fear that she spreads. It is a long road - fraught with much heartache. I do get very frustrated at all of the 'prophets of the month' that seem to pop up and are able to pull my wife in notwithstanding their questionable credibility.

@brianj: I also appreciate your input here. It is a slightly different perspective from FTC, but also one I can understand.I will say that while FTC seems to be much more of a battle to issues type - I can say that I understand the point of view. Personally, after some of the initial reading of these people, I was so put off and concerned that I realized that I was not able to maintain the spirit. I've chosen to turn away from the writings of Rowe, RKY, and others because I don't feel the light of truth there. I can't explain it, but I can say that I don't feel the spirit.
Btw - loved the statement that you can reason with the unreasonable... 100% true.

KurtTheMormon
captain of 100

Post by KurtTheMormon »

My own dreams and the dreams of others have prompted that I successfully establish everything I need to survive when that time rolls around. Otherwise, I may not have made that investment. Now, I am ready for it to happen for the next 40+ years, and to survive for 1-2 years without any assistance from anybody when it does.

And it will, likely within the next one or two. The economy will collapse eventually.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

KurtTheMormon wrote:My own dreams and the dreams of others have prompted that I successfully establish everything I need to survive when that time rolls around. Otherwise, I may not have made that investment. Now, I am ready for it to happen for the next 40+ years, and to survive for 1-2 years without any assistance from anybody when it does.

And it will, likely within the next one or two. The economy will collapse eventually.
How you doing Kurt?!

Do you have a girlfriend, or moving closer to getting married?

Todd
captain of 100

Post by Todd »

FTC and Lone-knight have legitimate complaints about the dreamer-driven prepper movement. Eventhough an adult might be capable of reading the dreams of JR, Sosa, etc., and not feel fear, there are very few 9 and 11 year olds who can.

So when a parent or guardian talks to their kids about the need to prepare for the immentnet doom that's about to fall on he earth, but tell them in the same breath, but don't worry it all turns out good in the end -- believe me, the kids worry. They feel great anxiety, stress and fear because in an undeveloped mind, all threats are magnified and exaggerated.

I mean, wow, don't our kids get enough crap on the 24 hour news channels and internet? And Now we pile on false dreams and have our food storage packed up in our living room ready to be shipped to the nearest Girl Scout camp?

Yes. This negatively affects our children. Anxiety, stress and fear will hurt you emotionally, spirituallly, and physically. You are not protecting your children by exposing them to this garbage. The spirit of fear is not of God.

Why do you think the real Prophet has encouraged us to prepare slowly and steadily? Nothing rash, just prudent. By following the Prophet we can be prepared for the storms in life without destroying our children.

I can understand the anger in FTC's post above. I really do feel for those who have to split the narrative with their children due to a divorce. If divorce wasn't hard enough on the kids, now they're getting an imminent end-of-the-world scenario? There should be laws against this.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

KurtTheMormon wrote:My own dreams and the dreams of others have prompted that I successfully establish everything I need to survive when that time rolls around. Otherwise, I may not have made that investment. Now, I am ready for it to happen for the next 40+ years, and to survive for 1-2 years without any assistance from anybody when it does.

You said on another post that Trump would be assassinated I think. When will this happen?

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

brianj wrote:I appreciate what you said, FTC, but I disagree with one aspect of your statement. When I read Rowe's books, as well as Pontius' book, I didn't feel fear at all. I felt excitement and hope.
I only feel darkness.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Todd wrote:Yes. This negatively affects our children. Anxiety, stress and fear will hurt you emotionally, spirituallly, and physically. You are not protecting your children by exposing them to this garbage. The spirit of fear is not of God.

Why do you think the real Prophet has encouraged us to prepare slowly and steadily? Nothing rash, just prudent. By following the Prophet we can be prepared for the storms in life without destroying our children.
I am curious: do you express this same indignation over every teaching of the church that is inappropriately given to children, or do you just focus on this one issue?

I knew guys who got married and couldn't wait to do what was finally okay for them to do, only to find that their new wife was raised with so much shame toward sexuality that physical intimacy is too traumatic for her. Thanks, mom and dad!
Elizabeth Smart said that lessons she had been given at church compared losing virginity outside marriage to fresh vs used bubble gum, leaving her feeling worthless and unwanted after she was first raped.
I have met far more church members than I care to count who have very little self esteem because of how their parents shamed them for wanting things as they grew up. I remember when I was a kid there was a bicycle I really wanted but my parents wouldn't buy me. I did what I could to earn money, and when I was about halfway there my parents gave me the rest of the money. From this I developed a "how can I get it" perspective, and it hurts to meet people raised in the church to develop a "you aren't worth it" perspective.
I am sure one of these days I will find someone who feels they shouldn't go to the temple because they can't find family names to bring. The challenge to bring family names so you don't do temple file names is a wonderful thing, but even this teaching can be pushed too far.

Yes, the prophets have told us to prepare steadily, not necessarily slowly but as we can afford it. But the prophets and the scriptures tell us to not procrastinate, and one lesson that we can get from the parable of the ten virgins is that there will come a point in time when it is too late to prepare. Those who have just started out, as well as those who have prepares slowly because that's the best they can do, should be taken care of. But what of the people who procrastinate the day of their repentance on the subject of preparation?

lone-knight
captain of 50

Post by lone-knight »

Honestly, I think the frustration that I have in regards to all of this are those that seem to be false prophets of doom and gloom. I have heard a lot of the parable of the ten virgins and watch as it is extra-emphasized by these individuals. It really has thrown things in my house completely out of balance.
Last edited by lone-knight on January 23rd, 2017, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

brianj wrote:
Todd wrote:Yes. This negatively affects our children. Anxiety, stress and fear will hurt you emotionally, spirituallly, and physically. You are not protecting your children by exposing them to this garbage. The spirit of fear is not of God.

I am curious: do you express this same indignation over every teaching of the church that is inappropriately given to children, or do you just focus on this one issue?

I knew guys who got married and couldn't wait to do what was finally okay for them to do, only to find that their new wife was raised with so much shame toward sexuality that physical intimacy is too traumatic for her. Thanks, mom and dad!
Elizabeth Smart said that lessons she had been given at church compared losing virginity outside marriage to fresh vs used bubble gum, leaving her feeling worthless and unwanted after she was first raped.
I have met far more church members than I care to count who have very little self esteem because of how their parents shamed them for wanting things as they grew up. I remember when I was a kid there was a bicycle I really wanted but my parents wouldn't buy me. I did what I could to earn money, and when I was about halfway there my parents gave me the rest of the money. From this I developed a "how can I get it" perspective, and it hurts to meet people raised in the church to develop a "you aren't worth it" perspective.
I am sure one of these days I will find someone who feels they shouldn't go to the temple because they can't find family names to bring. The challenge to bring family names so you don't do temple file names is a wonderful thing, but even this teaching can be pushed too far.

Yes, the prophets have told us to prepare steadily, not necessarily slowly but as we can afford it. But the prophets and the scriptures tell us to not procrastinate, and one lesson that we can get from the parable of the ten virgins is that there will come a point in time when it is too late to prepare. Those who have just started out, as well as those who have prepares slowly because that's the best they can do, should be taken care of. But what of the people who procrastinate the day of their repentance on the subject of preparation?
Remember the parable of the workers? Some started in the morning, some around noon, and some just an hour before the day was over.

They all got the same wage!

Just think, those who start storing just an hour before, don't have to listen to all those morning preppers for hours on end!

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

rewcox wrote:Remember the parable of the workers? Some started in the morning, some around noon, and some just an hour before the day was over.

They all got the same wage!

Just think, those who start storing just an hour before, don't have to listen to all those morning preppers for hours on end!
I don't think this is an accurate representation of that parable. People who serve God from the moment they are old enough to comprehend doing so will receive the same reward as someone who converts a month before their death. This doesn't mean that the person who never acquires food storage, hears about a gathering, then goes to the grocery store to buy whatever will fit into their trunk will be blessed the same way as the newly married couple who used some of the money received as wedding gifts to buy their first two cases of food the day before they are invited to gather.

Todd
captain of 100

Post by Todd »

brianj wrote:

JR and Sosa's "teachings" are not the teachings of the church. And you are right, shaming your children usually leaves scars, just like telling them the world is ending tomorrow.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

lone-knight wrote:Honestly, I think the frustration that I have in regards to all of this are those that seem to be false prophets of doom and gloom. I have heard a lot of the parable of the ten virgins and watch as it is extra-emphasized by these individuals. It really has thrown things in my house completely out of balance.
I used to be like your wife to some degree, so I understand exactly where you are coming from because my husband felt the same way. Was I wrong to act in fear? Yes, but my fixation with the latest and greatest prophecy was mostly in the hopes of convincing my husband to believe something I believed we needed to prepare for. The more you can take what she says with an open mind and listen without condemning it, the less she will feel a need to constantly be reading all that stuff and sharing it with you. She should not be sharing it with the kids.

Her passion is probably for getting ready for hard times, and not necessarily for the truthfulness of all these dreams. She simply wishes with all her heart that you would join her in this desire of hers to be prepared temporally. It doesn't mean you need to give in to every want she has. Are you willing to compromise, perhaps have her make a list of everything she wants with the cost, agree on a dollar amount, and let her spend that amount as she likes? Is this a control issue over money? She needs to feel like she has some freedom and control over her own life if you want her fear to go away, and it sounds like she is acting in fear. I hope you can be patient with her in trying to help her trust in your mutual concerns in obeying the counsel to be temporally prepared, and for God's hand in watching over all of us as we obey his commandments. I have learned that when I submit my own will to His, and not force my will on my husband, the Lord blesses me with everything I need (and want too!)

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

Sarah wrote:
lone-knight wrote:Honestly, I think the frustration that I have in regards to all of this are those that seem to be false prophets of doom and gloom. I have heard a lot of the parable of the ten virgins and watch as it is extra-emphasized by these individuals. It really has thrown things in my house completely out of balance.
I used to be like your wife to some degree, so I understand exactly where you are coming from because my husband felt the same way. Was I wrong to act in fear? Yes, but my fixation with the latest and greatest prophecy was mostly in the hopes of convincing my husband to believe something I believed we needed to prepare for. The more you can take what she says with an open mind and listen without condemning it, the less she will feel a need to constantly be reading all that stuff and sharing it with you. She should not be sharing it with the kids.

Her passion is probably for getting ready for hard times, and not necessarily for the truthfulness of all these dreams. She simply wishes with all her heart that you would join her in this desire of hers to be prepared temporally. It doesn't mean you need to give in to every want she has. Are you willing to compromise, perhaps have her make a list of everything she wants with the cost, agree on a dollar amount, and let her spend that amount as she likes? Is this a control issue over money? She needs to feel like she has some freedom and control over her own life if you want her fear to go away, and it sounds like she is acting in fear. I hope you can be patient with her in trying to help her trust in your mutual concerns in obeying the counsel to be temporally prepared, and for God's hand in watching over all of us as we obey his commandments. I have learned that when I submit my own will to His, and not force my will on my husband, the Lord blesses me with everything I need (and want too!)
Sounds like good advice. I would just add that maybe after listening to what she has to show/say about scary last days prophecies, you take some time to show her some of the hopeful messages from the gospel. The gospel is good news! If someone is scared by aspects of it, they are focusing on the wrong things. Joseph Smith taught in lectures on faith that fear and faith are basically opposites. As faith grows, it can replace fear until eventually, all fear is gone and there is nothing but love and trust towards God left. Help remind her of the good news!

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Rensai wrote:
Sarah wrote:

Sounds like good advice. I would just add that maybe after listening to what she has to show/say about scary last days prophecies, you take some time to show her some of the hopeful messages from the gospel. The gospel is good news! If someone is scared by aspects of it, they are focusing on the wrong things. Joseph Smith taught in lectures on faith that fear and faith are basically opposites. As faith grows, it can replace fear until eventually, all fear is gone and there is nothing but love and trust towards God left. Help remind her of the good news!
If she is like how I used to be, she doesn't consider herself fearful, she considers herself a realist. She is a believer, and is trusting. These are not bad qualities, but she has chosen to believe in some incorrect things - mainly the time-line stuff. But she fixates on the time-lines because in her mind it is a simple piece of evidence - could be true, could not be, doesn't really matter - but it reinforces the feeling that she has that tribulation is coming soon. And she wants to convince hubby of this so he'll be on board, her greatest fantasy. I think her husband trying to share reassuring messages will come across as a rejection of her feelings and an "all is well in Zion" type of attitude. She's already aware of all of those messages. But what her husband can do is just agree with her on what they can do, and remind her that this is his money too, not just hers, and reassure her that if she ends up being right and we must live in the mountains to escape the tribulations, then he will take responsibility for any lack of preparing they could have done.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Sarah wrote:

This would be very sound advice if his wife wasn't mentally ill. He mentioned that she was diagnosed with Schizophrenia last year. Trying to talk sense to a Schizophrenic is impossible, the only chance is if she receives medical treatment, but as long as she rejects the diagnosis, refusing to consider that she might be ill, then I think there's little chance she'll even compromise over her prepping/doomsday obsession.

I'm afraid I don't have any advice for him, untreated mental illness is awful to deal with for the loved ones.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

AI2.0 wrote:
Sarah wrote:

This would be very sound advice if his wife wasn't mentally ill. He mentioned that she was diagnosed with Schizophrenia last year. Trying to talk sense to a Schizophrenic is impossible, the only chance is if she receives medical treatment, but as long as she rejects the diagnosis, refusing to consider that she might be ill, then I think there's little chance she'll even compromise over her prepping/doomsday obsession.

I'm afraid I don't have any advice for him, untreated mental illness is awful to deal with for the loved ones.
You're right, mental illness might complicate trying to reason with her. But whether you're dealing with an adult or a child, a sound mind or one that is not, forcing your will on someone else never does any good. That's why I think in any case, you need to treat her like you would a child - be understanding, open to listening, non-condemning, but you set your boundaries on what you will believe and what you will do. But if one is trying to control all the money, then you have to compromise. As a couple they both work hard and share the fruit of their labors - equally! In husband's mind it is foolish to spend so much on preps. On her mind it is foolish to not. So you have to compromise. You will never be able to force her to change her mind.

lone-knight
captain of 50

Post by lone-knight »

All of these suggestions are sound advice and very much appreciated. I really am thankful for the various insights.

@Sarah: AI speaks correctly that my wife is dealing with mental illness, which throws things to the extreme. I have tried several different compromises with her and nothing seems to work. I am grateful for the insight though, of someone who has been on her side and can communicate clearly. This has been going on for more than two years now and I am open to different approaches. I try really hard to not approach her as a child because that just feels wrong, to me. As for the financial issues, I am certain that you are correct that she feels like she has no control. She had to be removed from all accounts last year, because on multiple occasions she tried to spend more than $1000 on food storage. Money that we quite frankly did not and do not have. She struggles with organizing her thoughts (to make a list of what she thinks we need) and the doomsayers keep saying that the end is days away - so any plan that takes longer than days to accomplish, she rejects.

@AI 2.0: I really appreciate your input and have read much of what you have written on the last-days prophesying that goes on. The reasoned approach is well lined out. I haven't generally responded, but I do read and appreciate.