Julie Rowe says she's never been given a 'gag order' by the LDS church

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Julie Rowe says she's never been given a 'gag order' by the LDS church

Post by AI2.0 »

Julie posted this on her website and I thought some here might be interested in it.

Apparently I need to clarify for some people that I have never been given a “gag order” by the LDS church.

I am not going to spend my time focusing on or trying to chase down every lie, because there are too many being told about me and there will only be more coming, but I do want to clarify that this supposed “gag order” as some have tried to claim, is completely made up and false.

I have been given a so-called gag order, but it isn’t from the Lord or his Prophets and Apostles or any other church leader.

The only person who has ever tried to shut me up is on the opposite side of the force and those that work with him.

For this purpose, I have decided to expose this particular lie at this time and want to make it very very clear that the false claim of a gag order (not my words, theirs) is absolutely an attempt to stop me from spreading the message and sharing my experience. This is a direct attempt to distract, deter, diminish, and destroy me and my mission and that which the Lord has asked me to accomplish.

This is a fear tactic. This is a falsehood. This is a blatant lie and rumor that was purposely started to try to get me to quit talking and to try to get others to be afraid to listen and hear truth.

Recognize the fruits of the tree. Where there is light there is truth. Where there is truth there is freedom. Where there is freedom we bear good fruit.

The opposite holds true as well. Where there is a lack of light, there is deception. Where there is deception there is control. Where there is control there is no freedom.

We are supposed to pay attention to the way we feel when we are surrounding ourselves with things of the light, rather than that which is not of the light.

When we are given a message which is contrary to God’s fruits, we can easily identify the source and expose and reveal it for what it is.

We can easily recognize that good fruit is not gossip, hearsay, lies or false accusation and rumor.

We can easily take a clear look and understand that someone must be very very scared and very very concerned that several may actually believe this message and seek greater understanding and clarity. We can easily see that the truth will always set us free, and because of that, we are not afraid to speak the truth.

In speaking our truth, we regain our true place in the universe and we regain our strength and understanding.

In speaking our truth, we regain our ability to see and hear and sense and feel and understand and we are able to sincerely put ourselves out there for the sake of the Lord’s kingdom, not only in despite of the opposition, but because of it. We are then able to set ourselves free.

When we see clearly and discern correctly, we are able to have greater understanding and we are better able to recognize the voice of the Lord.

When we are willing to put ourselves out there, and sacrifice any and all for our commitment to Christ and our beliefs, we are congruent and we are consistent. When we are congruent we are credible. When we are truthful we are congruent. When we are truthful we are not concerned that we are speaking openly, honestly and directly.

When we are truthful, we are not worried that we may “forget” something and then change our story later.

When we are truthful, we are confident that we are protected and we are bold in our witness and our understanding.
I don't know who she thinks has said this, I haven't read it here, but maybe there is another forum where she is discussed. I know there was some speculation back in July/August when she cancelled her speaking engagements that she might have been asked to stop speaking and this was also around the time of her book being put on the Seminary/Institute 'spurious' writings list, but She started up with her radio interviews again in Oct. and then released her third book, so I assumed she had NOT been 'talked to' by church leaders.

As anyone heard this rumor about a 'gag order'?

skmo
captain of 1,000

Re: Julie Rowe says she's never been given a 'gag order' by the LDS church

Post by skmo »

Well, when I was excommunicated, they never told me I had to stop sleeping around with other people, either. In fact, the SP said part of the reason they decided excommunication was the most charitable was because if I did commit adultery again, at least it wouldn't be a sun against a valid and active covenant.

Todd
captain of 100

Post by Todd »

AI2.0 wrote:
I don't know who she thinks has said this, I haven't read it here, but maybe there is another forum where she is discussed. I know there was some speculation back in July/August when she cancelled her speaking engagements that she might have been asked to stop speaking and this was also around the time of her book being put on the Seminary/Institute 'spurious' writings list, but She started up with her radio interviews again in Oct. and then released her third book, so I assumed she had NOT been 'talked to' by church leaders.

There are several other forums (not so friendly to the church) that claim a gag order was slapped on Julie -- like it is a fact.

On another note, she'll be "On Air" again May 3rd to give us further warnings, whatever that means. Stay tuned...

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Todd wrote:
AI2.0 wrote:

There are several other forums (not so friendly to the church) that claim a gag order was slapped on Julie -- like it is a fact.

On another note, she'll be "On Air" again May 3rd to give us further warnings, whatever that means. Stay tuned...
She is more than a little extra concerned this week, I have not seen her this 'on edge' before, this seems not to be a regular interview coming up. Will have more to say later. Here are the link for listening via internet:
http://www.newstalk890.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ayer&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
iPhone: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tunein- ... 87775?mt=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These links are for the mobile apps to listen live:talk Radio 890KDXU and KSUb590 with Radio talk show host Bryan Hyde.
You can catch info. later at her website, with a listening link. She told Mills Crenshaw, that she would go on his show after the warning earthquake happens.

Onsdag
captain of 100

Post by Onsdag »

AI2.0 wrote:Julie posted this on her website and I thought some here might be interested in it.

Apparently I need to clarify for some people that I have never been given a “gag order” by the LDS church.

I am not going to spend my time focusing on or trying to chase down every lie, because there are too many being told about me and there will only be more coming, but I do want to clarify that this supposed “gag order” as some have tried to claim, is completely made up and false.

I have been given a so-called gag order, but it isn’t from the Lord or his Prophets and Apostles or any other church leader.

The only person who has ever tried to shut me up is on the opposite side of the force and those that work with him. [so wait... I'm not sure I understand... is she saying that there has only ever been one person who has tried to shut her up, or more? :-? If it's only been one person this whole time then she should feel fortunate. I've had a number of people try to shut me up from sharing my findings, and I don't have near the notoriety of Julie. :p ]

For this purpose, I have decided to expose this particular lie at this time and want to make it very very clear that the false claim of a gag order (not my words, theirs) is absolutely an attempt to stop me from spreading the message and sharing my experience. This is a direct attempt to distract, deter, diminish, and destroy me and my mission and that which the Lord has asked me to accomplish. [An appeal to emotion - She is "expos[ing] this particular lie at this time" with no apparent evidence of anyone actually attempting to "gag" her. She stirs her audience' emotions to gather sympathy/support with no apparent factual evidence to support her argument. An appeal from authority - she is using the Lord's name and authority, and her audience' love and respect for Him, to persuade them to accept her conclusion.]

This is a fear tactic. This is a falsehood. This is a blatant lie and rumor that was purposely started to try to get me to quit talking and to try to get others to be afraid to listen and hear truth.

Recognize the fruits of the tree. Where there is light there is truth. Where there is truth there is freedom. Where there is freedom we bear good fruit.

The opposite holds true as well. Where there is a lack of light, there is deception. Where there is deception there is control. Where there is control there is no freedom.

We are supposed to pay attention to the way we feel when we are surrounding ourselves with things of the light, rather than that which is not of the light.

When we are given a message which is contrary to God’s fruits, we can easily identify the source and expose and reveal it for what it is.

We can easily recognize that good fruit is not gossip, hearsay, lies or false accusation and rumor.

We can easily take a clear look and understand that someone must be very very scared and very very concerned that several may actually believe this message and seek greater understanding and clarity. We can easily see that the truth will always set us free, and because of that, we are not afraid to speak the truth.

In speaking our truth, we regain our true place in the universe and we regain our strength and understanding.

In speaking our truth, we regain our ability to see and hear and sense and feel and understand and we are able to sincerely put ourselves out there for the sake of the Lord’s kingdom, not only in despite of the opposition, but because of it. We are then able to set ourselves free.

When we see clearly and discern correctly, we are able to have greater understanding and we are better able to recognize the voice of the Lord.

When we are willing to put ourselves out there, and sacrifice any and all for our commitment to Christ and our beliefs, we are congruent and we are consistent. When we are congruent we are credible. When we are truthful we are congruent. When we are truthful we are not concerned that we are speaking openly, honestly and directly.

When we are truthful, we are not worried that we may “forget” something and then change our story later.

When we are truthful, we are confident that we are protected and we are bold in our witness and our understanding.

I'm not familiar with anything of the sort. I do recall, as you pointed out, some speculation last year when the CES letter came out and she suddenly seemed to start backtracking (albeit very briefly) as well as her publisher, Chad Daybell, suddenly and unexpectedly stopped his blog, that there might have been something that went on to cause their unusual behavior. But that's all I was aware of. Personally though, I think their behavior was more of a fearful and reflexive action based on all the sudden media attention they were receiving and not necessarily anything to do with the Church or any possible disciplinary action.

The only communication I have ever had with Julie (outside of a very brief visit at one of her book signings) was in November 2014 when I contacted her via email. I asked her a couple of questions about the truthfulness of her book and gave her the opportunity to be honest and forthright with me about her experiences. She replied to my email and stood by her experience. I replied back with a few emails over the next week, sharing my findings with her that questioned the validity of her account and encouraging her to start telling the truth. She never replied back. This was a little over a month before I actually published my review of her first book here. I never once threatened her (unless you consider my urging her to start telling the truth before publishing my findings as a threat), nor did I ever mention anything about a "gag order," so she surely can't be talking about me. It is true that I have stood up against her message - but never by trying to shut her up or "gag" her - rather, I have attempted to do so "only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned; By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile— Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy; That he may know that thy faithfulness is stronger than the cords of death." I may have not always done so as perfectly as I perhaps could have, or should have, but that has always been my aim. For what it's worth, I do believe that there are people who have treated Julie very poorly. The websites Todd mentions demonstrate this a little bit. I do not agree with this behavior at all! If we disagree with people (as I do with Julie) then we can disagree civilly and in a Christ-like manner, as we have been counseled by our Prophets and Apostles.

The only insight I have as to her interactions with Priesthood authority is from talking with a former Stake President of hers. This was before I published my review. I had tried finding out who her proper Priesthood leaders were so that I could give the information I had into their hands for review and consideration. I was able to find out who her Stake President was in Arizona and gave him a call. I asked about Julie Rowe and he asked me if this was about her book and speaking engagements. I replied affirmatively. He sounded a little concerned and suggested that others had expressed concerns as well, but that she no longer lived there and had moved elsewhere (he didn't know where to - just somewhere back East). He then informed me that she has been told (I'm guessing either by him, or other Priesthood leaders) that she does not and is not to speak for the Church. Anything more than that I am not aware. Nor is it my concern. It was enough for me to know that her Priesthood leaders were aware of the situation and the rest was in the Lord's hands.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Todd wrote:
AI2.0 wrote:

Interesting, thanks Todd and kirtlandrm for letting us know.

It's May now...I suspect that some of her believers are getting antsy that they are not in the camps yet....

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

I have no idea if she has however it would not surprise me in the least that she was "counciled" by her priesthood leaders. Why else would she have pulled her youtube video, stopped all personal appearances, radio interviews and even stopped her $35 per person group phone emotion code healing sessions w/o any explanation last year?

Let's be honest, JR is painfully transparent and the phrase "Me think she doth protest too much" seems to apply to her in spades . For example right off the bat she make a big to-do about NOT EVER having read any NDE's or apocalyptic type visions outside of scripture. She made such a big deal about stating this that it was a red flag to me. It was later proved that she had in fact HAD done so. Also she has made this big deal about Trudeau (sp?) CA's Prime Minister is the anti-Christ and that he has this uncanny power over women b/c he's handsome, charismatic...Again she "protesteth too much" it's obvious she is mesmerized by him. LOL Here we are again and we see her protesting too much about NOT being spoken to by her leadership. It's yet another red flag for me.
Last edited by DesertWonderer on May 4th, 2016, 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

littlemikey
captain of 100

Post by littlemikey »

Youtube video??!! I would very much like to see that if by chance it got downloaded...what was it about?

Onsdag
captain of 100

Post by Onsdag »

kirtland r.m. wrote:She told Mills Crenshaw, that she would go on his show after the warning earthquake happens.

Just stumbled upon this again after doing some unrelated reading and thought it worthy of being pointed out. In a most unfortunate event Mills Crenshaw passed away just a few days ago. This would appear to be another failed prediction by Julie as she'll now never get to have her forseen interview with him after the imminent soon warning earthquake. Oops.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

AI2.0 wrote:The only person who has ever tried to shut me up is on the opposite side of the force and those that work with him.
"The force"?!?! LOL She's a Star Wars fan too apparently. Now she's "borrowing" material from George Lucas. Boys and girls: Can you say the-philosophies-of-men-mingled-w/-scripture? Sure, sure you can. (said in your best Mr Rogers voice)

Speaking of "borrowing" material...I read SM's book last week (btw my reaction from her book was---Yikes! Run, don't walk away from that lady as fast as you can.) for the first time. Holy smokes! I couldn't believe how much material JR took straight from SM's book. SM should bring a suit against her for copyright infringement.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

DesertWonderer wrote:
AI2.0 wrote:The only person who has ever tried to shut me up is on the opposite side of the force and those that work with him.
"The force"?!?! LOL She's a Star Wars fan too apparently. Now she's "borrowing" material from George Lucas. Boys and girls: Can you say the-philosophies-of-men-mingled-w/-scripture? Sure, sure you can. (said in your best Mr Rogers voice)

Speaking of "borrowing" material...I read SM's book last week (btw my reaction from her book was---Yikes! Run, don't walk away from that lady as fast as you can.) for the first time. Holy smokes! I couldn't believe how much material JR took straight from SM's book. SM should bring a suit against her for copyright infringement.
Somebody needs to lighten up! Do you have any idea how many times I have heard righteousness and wickedness compared to the light and dark sides of the force? I hope you don't think my Bishop and I need to be excommunicated for this, but I have used a scene from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade to communicate the principle of faith. And just for my own fun, the next time I give a talk I just might warn everybody that To Serve Man is a COOKBOOK!

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

brianj wrote:
DesertWonderer wrote:

Somebody needs to lighten up! Do you have any idea how many times I have heard righteousness and wickedness compared to the light and dark sides of the force? I don't know, how many times have you b/c I don't know that I have ever heard anyone in The Church do that. Hope you don't think my Bishop and I need to be excommunicated for this, but I have used a scene from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade to communicate the principle of faith. It could be completely appropriate. How did you do it exactly? And just for my own fun, the next time I give a talk I just might warn everybody that To Serve Man is a COOKBOOK!
To Serve Man is a cookbook??? Sorry I have no idea what this means / is in reference to--please explain.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

brianj wrote:
DesertWonderer wrote:

Somebody needs to lighten up! Do you have any idea how many times I have heard righteousness and wickedness compared to the light and dark sides of the force? I hope you don't think my Bishop and I need to be excommunicated for this, but I have used a scene from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade to communicate the principle of faith. And just for my own fun, the next time I give a talk I just might warn everybody that To Serve Man is a COOKBOOK!
EXCELLENT episode - I saw it as a young man and it has stuck with me all these years.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

DesertWonderer wrote:
brianj wrote:Do you have any idea how many times I have heard righteousness and wickedness compared to the light and dark sides of the force? I don't know, how many times have you b/c I don't know that I have ever heard anyone in The Church do that.
Let it suffice to say it's been many times. As a new convert I attended an institute where the director frequently cited Star Wars.
Hope you don't think my Bishop and I need to be excommunicated for this, but I have used a scene from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade to communicate the principle of faith. It could be completely appropriate. How did you do it exactly?
There's a scene where Indy is standing on the edge of a chasm with no way to cross it. He takes a leap of faith by closing his eyes and stepping forward, discovering that an unseen bridge was there the whole time. I mentioned that as a description of how faith is rewarded, then mentioned that sometimes a bridge won't be there but it will be put in place as soon as we have committed our weight to that step forward.
And just for my own fun, the next time I give a talk I just might warn everybody that To Serve Man is a COOKBOOK!
To Serve Man is a cookbook??? Sorry I have no idea what this means / is in reference to--please explain.
If you have a geek card, turn it in. To Serve Man is a short story by Damon Knight, published in the November 1950 issue of Galaxy Science Fiction. It was adapted to television 12 years later for a Twilight Zone episode (season 3, episode 24). Knight isn't exactly on the same level as Philip K Dick, but it is an interesting and thought provoking story.

If you have cable TV, the Syfy channel is having a Twilight Zone marathon this coming weekend, and I'm sure To Serve Man will be one of the episodes. Or, if you have Hulu or Amazon Prime, you can stream it. And the text of the short story is available at: http://perrylocal.org/mostova/files/201 ... ve-Man.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Summerwind
captain of 100

Post by Summerwind »

Actually, Julie did say something about Princess Leia, and other things in some messages she urged to go public.... so this force business is not new at all. She's a fan.
Attachments
R3.png
R3.png (731.73 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
R2.png
R2.png (767.52 KiB) Viewed 3123 times

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

kirtland r.m. wrote:You can catch info. later at her website, with a listening link.
Or you could catch some fun entertainment at This audition of a lady with a great voice. It's more interesting.

Spider
captain of 100

Post by Spider »

Summerwind wrote:Actually, Julie did say something about Princess Leia, and other things in some messages she urged to go public.... so this force business is not new at all. She's a fan.
Yikes!

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

skmo wrote:
kirtland r.m. wrote:You can catch info. later at her website, with a listening link.
Or you could catch some fun entertainment at This audition of a lady with a great voice. It's more interesting.
She was flat out fantastic. :ymapplause:

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

Summerwind wrote:Actually, Julie did say something about Princess Leia, and other things in some messages she urged to go public.... so this force business is not new at all. She's a fan.
I don't know whether to laugh at or to cry for JR at this point.

Summerwind
captain of 100

Post by Summerwind »

DesertWonderer wrote:
I know. I don't wish her any ill will. I just don't believe her. Because her stuff doesn't carry the weight of stewardship, it's not binding on me. Once upon a time I did believe her, but began to be very fearful, and felt like I would be "left out" because I'm not wealthy enough to have everything paid off and all the storage and prep already and all at once. I was told by her groupies that this would exclude me from a "call out". I began to be so stressed out I was very tearful at one point and having anxiety attacks. Then I received a priesthood blessing, and the person giving the blessing did not know what was stressing me out so badly. He told me in that blessing that the Lord already considered me among those preparing and waiting for his return, and that anyone teaching otherwise was wrong. I was also told that things will happen as the Lord chooses them to, and that there are many who are deceived believing all the words of those who claim to know. Nothing was said about Julie since then, but I narrowed it down. Not all last days stuff affected me like that. I learned to discern which things I should listen to, and which brought fear instead of faith. I steered away from JR's stuff because that evoked a feeling of panic every time.

As time has gone on... I have noticed more and more erratic behavior from her, and I suffering from depression myself, I know that sometimes what seems real and huge is not always very realistic if I was more emotionally healthy. So I feel for her, but I also don't believe her. That's ok... one can be preparing spiritually and physically for the last days as we are taught and JR isn't needed. I find some of her antics to be more just a desperate attempt to hold onto an audience and following because they make her feel important and loved. It's a false sense of those things, but that's what her actions seem to be doing. I hope that she is honestly not ignoring treatment in favor of energy healing alone. Many mental illnesses are very biologically based. I don't know any diagnosis she may have, but her behavior fits a pattern of bipolar. If that is the case... it's one of those things that needs some medical management. I have not yet met someone who has treated that naturally alone and has succeeded in evening out the polar swings of depression and manias. That's not to say that there aren't any - just none in my acquaintance.

I get that she's seeing this good and bad or light and dark part of the force thing... but miticlorians(sp?) are not a real thing. Leia was a character. Nothing in the movies other than the light/dark concept is real. This seems to me to be another mania sort of thing. Don't get me wrong, I love star wars, but she takes it to a whole new level in believing it's all real.

Ungläubige
captain of 50

Post by Ungläubige »

"Would love for you to screen shot this entire text thread and spam it to the world"

That is priceless.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Summerwind wrote:
DesertWonderer wrote:
I know. I don't wish her any ill will. I just don't believe her. Because her stuff doesn't carry the weight of stewardship, it's not binding on me. Once upon a time I did believe her, but began to be very fearful, and felt like I would be "left out" because I'm not wealthy enough to have everything paid off and all the storage and prep already and all at once. I was told by her groupies that this would exclude me from a "call out". I began to be so stressed out I was very tearful at one point and having anxiety attacks. Then I received a priesthood blessing, and the person giving the blessing did not know what was stressing me out so badly. He told me in that blessing that the Lord already considered me among those preparing and waiting for his return, and that anyone teaching otherwise was wrong. I was also told that things will happen as the Lord chooses them to, and that there are many who are deceived believing all the words of those who claim to know. Nothing was said about Julie since then, but I narrowed it down. Not all last days stuff affected me like that. I learned to discern which things I should listen to, and which brought fear instead of faith. I steered away from JR's stuff because that evoked a feeling of panic every time.

As time has gone on... I have noticed more and more erratic behavior from her, and I suffering from depression myself, I know that sometimes what seems real and huge is not always very realistic if I was more emotionally healthy. So I feel for her, but I also don't believe her. That's ok... one can be preparing spiritually and physically for the last days as we are taught and JR isn't needed. I find some of her antics to be more just a desperate attempt to hold onto an audience and following because they make her feel important and loved. It's a false sense of those things, but that's what her actions seem to be doing. I hope that she is honestly not ignoring treatment in favor of energy healing alone. Many mental illnesses are very biologically based. I don't know any diagnosis she may have, but her behavior fits a pattern of bipolar. If that is the case... it's one of those things that needs some medical management. I have not yet met someone who has treated that naturally alone and has succeeded in evening out the polar swings of depression and manias. That's not to say that there aren't any - just none in my acquaintance.

I get that she's seeing this good and bad or light and dark part of the force thing... but miticlorians(sp?) are not a real thing. Leia was a character. Nothing in the movies other than the light/dark concept is real. This seems to me to be another mania sort of thing. Don't get me wrong, I love star wars, but she takes it to a whole new level in believing it's all real.
Thanks for sharing your experience. You validate what some of us feared, that JR's teachings were not promoting faith, but fear in some members. I've always been very concerned that she gives the impression that the church would only look out for those who had everything they needed to live in a camp and would leave the rest of the members, the poorest among us, to fend for themselves and die in the 'tribulations'. While the church does want us to be self-reliant, that is NOT how the church works. Even when they were moving the saints from Nauvoo to winterquarters, they still made sure that all who wanted to go could join the saints and they created the perpetual immigration fund to help the poorer members be able to travel to Salt Lake. If the 'tent cities' were real, then the Bishops in each ward would have a big job to prepare all members who wanted to move there. There would be no 'special' closed meeting where only those with a year supply and camping equipment would be invited to join.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

AI2.0 wrote:Thanks for sharing your experience. You validate what some of us feared, that JR's teachings were not promoting faith, but fear in some members. I've always been very concerned that she gives the impression that the church would only look out for those who had everything they needed to live in a camp and would leave the rest of the members, the poorest among us, to fend for themselves and die in the 'tribulations'. While the church does want us to be self-reliant, that is NOT how the church works. Even when they were moving the saints from Nauvoo to winterquarters, they still made sure that all who wanted to go could join the saints and they created the perpetual immigration fund to help the poorer members be able to travel to Salt Lake. If the 'tent cities' were real, then the Bishops in each ward would have a big job to prepare all members who wanted to move there. There would be no 'special' closed meeting where only those with a year supply and camping equipment would be invited to join.
I remember a letter from the First Presidency, read in sacrament meeting, telling members to not panic buy or go into debt for food storage. That was between 25 and 30 years ago, when I was a new member of the church, and I do recall people expressing a fearfulness and a need to get their food storage in order RIGHT NOW!.
Question: Since this was long before Rowe, Sosa, and even Sarah Menet's first book, their fear seems to have come from their reaction to the teachings of church leaders. Do you hold church leaders in disdain because they "were not promoting faith, but fear in some members?"

And, if I recall correctly, only the church members who followed the counsel of their leaders to prepare were invited to participate in the first companies heading west. Furthermore, although I agree that all of us should do what we can to help poor members, I take issue with how you try painting the argument. The guy who just bought a new boat and a new big SUV to tow it, but claims he doesn't have money to buy food storage, is more typical of the members I have come across who would not be able to participate if initial participation were limited to those who should have prepared.

Let me throw the ball back into your court: Why do you believe that it would be wrong to exclude people who freely spend their money on whatever they want, who know about the guidance to acquire food storage but ignore it, some of whom even state a belief that if we actually need that food storage the church will tell people they need to buy it by a specific deadline?

Summerwind
captain of 100

Post by Summerwind »

Brianj, you classify all those who are not yet fully prepared as those buying boats and going into debt over toys rather than actually struggling financially. Now that would indeed be poor in choice wouldn't it? Except most of those I know who are steadily plucking away at their preparations are not boat owners, nor live excessive lives at all. Young married couples starting out are among those. Lets just go ahead and lump everyone into the worst possible category shall we?

So I fall into those who are slowly and surely preparing as the church has asked... not fully ready yet, but also legitimately financially struggling to make ends meet. We own no boats.. we have only one vehicle that is over 10 years old, do not own a home, don't go on vacation... and have a very limited Christmas budget that we save for all year. So would I qualify as these terrible people you are describing or are you going to admit there are those who are doing as they can, and yet still legitimately not well enough off to have everything prepared just yet?

thisisspartaaa
captain of 100

Post by thisisspartaaa »

brianj wrote:
AI2.0 wrote:Thanks for sharing your experience. You validate what some of us feared, that JR's teachings were not promoting faith, but fear in some members. I've always been very concerned that she gives the impression that the church would only look out for those who had everything they needed to live in a camp and would leave the rest of the members, the poorest among us, to fend for themselves and die in the 'tribulations'. While the church does want us to be self-reliant, that is NOT how the church works. Even when they were moving the saints from Nauvoo to winterquarters, they still made sure that all who wanted to go could join the saints and they created the perpetual immigration fund to help the poorer members be able to travel to Salt Lake. If the 'tent cities' were real, then the Bishops in each ward would have a big job to prepare all members who wanted to move there. There would be no 'special' closed meeting where only those with a year supply and camping equipment would be invited to join.
I remember a letter from the First Presidency, read in sacrament meeting, telling members to not panic buy or go into debt for food storage. That was between 25 and 30 years ago, when I was a new member of the church, and I do recall people expressing a fearfulness and a need to get their food storage in order RIGHT NOW!.
Question: Since this was long before Rowe, Sosa, and even Sarah Menet's first book, their fear seems to have come from their reaction to the teachings of church leaders. Do you hold church leaders in disdain because they "were not promoting faith, but fear in some members?"

And, if I recall correctly, only the church members who followed the counsel of their leaders to prepare were invited to participate in the first companies heading west. Furthermore, although I agree that all of us should do what we can to help poor members, I take issue with how you try painting the argument. The guy who just bought a new boat and a new big SUV to tow it, but claims he doesn't have money to buy food storage, is more typical of the members I have come across who would not be able to participate if initial participation were limited to those who should have prepared.

Let me throw the ball back into your court: Why do you believe that it would be wrong to exclude people who freely spend their money on whatever they want, who know about the guidance to acquire food storage but ignore it, some of whom even state a belief that if we actually need that food storage the church will tell people they need to buy it by a specific deadline?
Your 1st paragraph makes a comparison between church leadership and Rowe, Sosa, and Menet. Rowe, Sosa and Menet have not been 1) ordained to any position of authority within the church and 2) have not been sustained by the membership. The church has always had inside and outside influences that are contrary to the order of God. Here's one from 1976:
For twenty-six years, since I was fifteen, I was involved in the grocery industry. I learned much about human nature during those years. I remember the effects that strikes, earthquakes, and rumors of war had on many very active Latter-day Saints. Like the five foolish virgins, they rushed to the store to buy food, caught in the panic of knowing that direction had been given by the prophet but not having followed that direction—fearful that maybe they had procrastinated until it was everlastingly too late.

It was interesting because only in Latter-day Saint communities did people seem to buy with abandon. It was not a few Latter-day Saints—it was a significant number. It caused great increases in sales. One such experience came when a so-called prophecy by someone outside the Church was greatly publicized.

How foolish we can sometimes be! We have a living prophet; we have God’s living oracles, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles. Let us follow the Brethren and be constant. We need have no fear if we are prepared.

Food Storage, Vaughn J. Featherstone, April 1976
Your 2nd paragraph denies the Atonement. It assumes you know the circumstance of every member...something that would be impossible for all except perhaps a Bishop within a ward who would have that discernment. Regardless, the Gospel of Jesus Christ is open to all and any faithful follower of Christ would have that hand stretched out to their ward family and neighbors in any calamity.

So in answer to your question in your 3rd paragraph...because that is what Jesus would do. Plain and simple.