Good End-Times Fiction

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
RanMan
captain of 10

Good End-Times Fiction

Post by RanMan »

Do any of you read fiction on the subject? And if you do are there any books that you find to represent the subject well?

:)

brianj
captain of 1,000

Re: Good End-Times Fiction

Post by brianj »

The only end-time fiction I am aware of is written by Chad Daybell, his Times of Turmoil series and Stand in Holy Places series.

I read The Great Gathering, book one of the five book Stand in Holy Places series, and didn't like the book enough to read book two of the series.

Use Amazon's Look Inside feature to read the beginning of Great Gathering or Evading Babylon (book 1 of the three book Times of Turmoil series) before purchasing either book.

RanMan
captain of 10

Post by RanMan »

brianj wrote:The only end-time fiction I am aware of is written by Chad Daybell, his Times of Turmoil series and Stand in Holy Places series.

I read The Great Gathering, book one of the five book Stand in Holy Places series, and didn't like the book enough to read book two of the series.

Use Amazon's Look Inside feature to read the beginning of Great Gathering or Evading Babylon (book 1 of the three book Times of Turmoil series) before purchasing either book.
I believe there is a series by Gerald N. Lund that sort of covers the topic. Is anyone familiar with that and if so how did you like it?

:)

Madmeg
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Madmeg »

Hi I am new but have been following LDSFF for ages. However because I wanted to post I have registered.
I have read the books by Kenneth R Tarr about the last days and really enjoyed them. I recommened them to family and church members and all who have read them have likewise enjoyed them. The titles are "Gathering Storm" "Pioneer One" "End of the World" and "Promised Land"
I hope this helps.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

Go to Amazon and type SHTF and search in books.
Lots of entertaining books come up.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

I thought the Richard and Jessica Draper Seventh Seal series was pretty good. It was long however, lots of characters / story lines. They seemed to represent the future events in a believable and accurate, scriptural based way.

His book The Opening of The Seventh Seal (non-fiction) is probably one of the best commentaries of John's Revelation there is.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Try the "Great and Terrible" series by Chris Stewart. All from a Mormon background written buy a guy who was a former Air Force pilot:

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Terrible-Co ... ble+series" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Loved the books.

2EstablishZion
captain of 100

Post by 2EstablishZion »

Read LDSFF....

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

iWriteStuff wrote:Try the "Great and Terrible" series by Chris Stewart. All from a Mormon background written buy a guy who was a former Air Force pilot:

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Terrible-Co ... ble+series" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Loved the books.

I also enjoyed this series, I read it to my students and the majority loved them, we'd get to exciting parts and they didn't want me to stop! But, a couple of my students did not like the books because they are frightening; he paints a very real picture of what could happen in our future and it was pretty scary. There are about seven books in the series. Chris Stewart is in politics too.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

AI2.0 wrote:
iWriteStuff wrote:Try the "Great and Terrible" series by Chris Stewart. All from a Mormon background written buy a guy who was a former Air Force pilot:

Loved the books.

I also enjoyed this series, I read it to my students and the majority loved them, we'd get to exciting parts and they didn't want me to stop! But, a couple of my students did not like the books because they are frightening; he paints a very real picture of what could happen in our future and it was pretty scary. There are about seven books in the series. Chris Stewart is in politics too.
I can relate to that experience. I don't normally read fiction (I consume almost 100% non-fiction) but my wife recommended these books and I devoured them in days. The first book is a bit slow as it pertains to the family in the premortal existence, but books 2-7 are "can't put it down" books to be sure. Wholesome, too.

kennyhs
captain of 1,000

Post by kennyhs »

JK4Woods wrote:Go to Amazon and type SHTF and search in books.
What does SHTF mean?

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

kennyhs wrote:
JK4Woods wrote:Go to Amazon and type SHTF and search in books.
What does SHTF mean?
S*** Hits The Fan. Or "Stuff" for more tender ears. :-$

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

RanMan wrote:Do any of you read fiction on the subject? And if you do are there any books that you find to represent the subject well? :)
The book that most realistically represents what I think things will be like (before the Lord starts preaching his own sermons - and to get an idea of what that will be like, read the Old Testament) - is One Second After by William R. Forstchen. It's not for the faint of heart though (but then, the last days won't be either ;) ). And I see that Forstchen has recently come out with another book, One Year After - off to buy that right now! I'm not a fan of Mormon last days fiction (much too pollyanna-ish and not at all realistic of what's coming, IMO). A good end-times fiction series is James Wesley Rawles (Patriots, Survivors, Founders, etc.) - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... ley+rawles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

RanMan wrote:I believe there is a series by Gerald N. Lund that sort of covers the topic. Is anyone familiar with that and if so how did you like it? :)
Best books I've read from Gerald Lund are The Freedom Factor, and The Alliance. He really hits several nails on the head with both books. I highly recommend them - they are fairly quick reads - page turners - and are very prescient, even prophetic, for our day in 2016, IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/Alliance-Gerald-L ... erald+lund" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Factor-Ge ... actor+lund" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also meant to mention The Road by Cormac McCarthy - a very likely future scenario.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

EmmaLee wrote:
RanMan wrote:Do any of you read fiction on the subject? And if you do are there any books that you find to represent the subject well? :)
The book that most realistically represents what I think things will be like (before the Lord starts preaching his own sermons - and to get an idea of what that will be like, read the Old Testament) - is One Second After by William R. Forstchen. It's not for the faint of heart though (but then, the last days won't be either ;) ). And I see that Forstchen has recently come out with another book, One Year After - off to buy that right now! I'm not a fan of Mormon last days fiction (much too pollyanna-ish and not at all realistic of what's coming, IMO). A good end-times fiction series is James Wesley Rawles (Patriots, Survivors, Founders, etc.) - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... ley+rawles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've read One Second After and Patriots as well. Good books, almost written like survival manuals. I've gleamed a lot of good information out of them.... Have to say, whenever I venture out of non-fiction, it's usually only so I can learn something that is transmitted by way of fiction.

That being said, after eight Harry Potter books I still can't cast a Patronus charm :(
patronus.jpg
patronus.jpg (9.87 KiB) Viewed 2545 times

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

AI2.0 wrote:

Loved the books.

The parents did not complain to the Principal? Wow

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

EmmaLee wrote:
One Second after and Patriots are excellent.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

iWriteStuff wrote:
EmmaLee wrote:
I've read One Second After and Patriots as well. Good books, almost written like survival manuals. I've gleamed a lot of good information out of them....
My first read-through of both, I read them as novels - fascinating - couldn't put either of them down (not for long anyway). My second read-through of both was with pen and notebook in hand for the very reason you mention.... ;)

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

EmmaLee wrote:
For non-LDS, The End of the World as We Know it, fiction I would also highly recommend both The Pulse series and The Darkness After series by Scott B. Williams. Williams is an outdoorsman from the Southeastern United States and he very accurately portrays the specific issues with survival in that region.

As much as I like the Patriots series by Rawles, be aware before starting that he is very anti-Mormon and every single one of his books includes at least one attack on the LDS church or its doctrine.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

brianj wrote:
EmmaLee wrote:
For non-LDS, The End of the World as We Know it, fiction I would also highly recommend both The Pulse series and The Darkness After series by Scott B. Williams. Williams is an outdoorsman from the Southeastern United States and he very accurately portrays the specific issues with survival in that region.

As much as I like the Patriots series by Rawles, be aware before starting that he is very anti-Mormon and every single one of his books includes at least one attack on the LDS church or its doctrine.
Yes, Rawles has his evangelical bias against the LDS Church - but we're pretty used to anti talk and attacks on the Church right here on this "LDS" forum - and nothing in his books is any worse than what you'll read here on any given day (in fact, every day), so it shouldn't be too hard to handle.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Vision wrote:
AI2.0 wrote:

Loved the books.

The parents did not complain to the Principal? Wow
No, it was a private school, I got permission from the parents for the books I read, before I read them.

littlemikey
captain of 100

Post by littlemikey »

You can also check out Visions of Glory and the books from Julie Rowe....that's some good fiction!! Hahahahaha! I couldn't resist! ;)

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS
captain of 100

Post by I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS »

EmmaLee wrote:
I've read One Second After and really enjoyed it. Out of curiosity, what aspect of that story do you believe will reflect conditions just prior to the Lord preaching his own sermons since that whole story is based around the effects of an EMP on modern society?

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS wrote:
EmmaLee wrote:
I've read One Second After and really enjoyed it. Out of curiosity, what aspect of that story do you believe will reflect conditions just prior to the Lord preaching his own sermons since that whole story is based around the effects of an EMP on modern society?
I think things will get worse (very likely similar to the scenario in that book), and will stay that way for a very long time, before the really bad stuff (Lord's sermons) starts happening. It seems like a lot of members believe things will be bad for a year or two, and then the Lord will return. While that would be nice, I don't believe it will happen like that. I believe we will have many, many more years of severe trials - the kind that will truly refine a people for the Lord's return.

As for aspects of that story that I believe will reflect conditions just prior to the Lord preaching his own sermons - it's all about control and bondage (Satan's way). Once the U.S. is gone (as is shown in the book - a likely scenario, but not the only possibility), the powers that be would take over and be in control of everything (far more than they are today), and that would be the end of being able to live our religion (and most/all others, too), freedom - gone, etc. It will be Satan's great day of power, and this is when the people will be crying to God night and day for deliverance. The few remaining faithful will be powerless to fight back (we almost are now), or to live their religion at all other than in secret - and there will be nothing left, no other choice, but for the Lord to preach his own sermons to redeem his people - which is the only thing that will remove the evil ones from power. This last 'season' (sermons being preached) will only last a matter of months, IMO - whereas, the 'prelude' (time of being in literal bondage, etc. while the PTB are in control) may last many years - and is still in the future - hasn't even begun yet. Anyway, my .02. :)

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS
captain of 100

Post by I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS »

EmmaLee wrote:
I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS wrote:
EmmaLee wrote:
I think things will get worse (very likely similar to the scenario in that book), and will stay that way for a very long time, before the really bad stuff (Lord's sermons) starts happening. It seems like a lot of members believe things will be bad for a year or two, and then the Lord will return. While that would be nice, I don't believe it will happen like that. I believe we will have many, many more years of severe trials - the kind that will truly refine a people for the Lord's return.

As for aspects of that story that I believe will reflect conditions just prior to the Lord preaching his own sermons - it's all about control and bondage (Satan's way). Once the U.S. is gone (as is shown in the book - a likely scenario, but not the only possibility), the powers that be would take over and be in control of everything (far more than they are today), and that would be the end of being able to live our religion (and most/all others, too), freedom - gone, etc. It will be Satan's great day of power, and this is when the people will be crying to God night and day for deliverance. The few remaining faithful will be powerless to fight back (we almost are now), or to live their religion at all other than in secret - and there will be nothing left, no other choice, but for the Lord to preach his own sermons to redeem his people - which is the only thing that will remove the evil ones from power. This last 'season' (sermons being preached) will only last a matter of months, IMO - whereas, the 'prelude' (time of being in literal bondage, etc. while the PTB are in control) may last many years - and is still in the future - hasn't even begun yet. Anyway, my .02. :)
I appreciate your analysis. I agree that trials will last more then a few years and this is what will lead many to almost lose hope.

I've also always wondered under what conditions would people not be allowed to worship, and will this be LDS only or all religions in general.

As a society we would have had to undergone one of the largest transformations in history where the population as a whole would be rendered completely unable to resist, or even in support of such a decree. Who are those in power at this time and under what reasoning would they forbid worship are just a few of the questions I have.