Good End-Times Fiction

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Good End-Times Fiction

Post by EmmaLee »

We can - and SHOULD - ask and be ready to receive - and we can receive anything God wants to give us, in any form he wishes to reveal it. Then publishing that personal revelation for all the world to see is when it (and the motives behind the author, and the 'revelation' itself) become questionable. Many have seen what John the Revelator and Nephi, et al, saw. You can, too. Ask, and if it's God's will that you know these things, he will give it to you - then keep it to yourself.

Back to the topic - Alas, Babylon is a wonderful classic of good end-times fiction. :)

Zion2080
captain of 100

Re: Good End-Times Fiction

Post by Zion2080 »

brianj wrote:
Zion2080 wrote:"Visions of Glory." Pretty interesting how one random man saw a bunch of stuff only the president of the church would probably see.
Why do you think nobody but the president of the church could see the things that Spencer claims to have seen?

In First Nephi, Nephi asked to see what his prophet had seen and was shown all of it. He was even shown things that John would see hundreds of years later on Patmos, but he didn't write that. And he taught his brothers that they could learn by asking God.
In Alma, 12:9-10, Alma taught that it is given to many to know the mysteries of God.
The scriptures also teach that God is not a respecter of persons, and saying only those with respect of office can have those revelations is saying that God is a respecter of persons.
Doctrine and Covenants 46. Some are given knowledge (18) and some are given the gift of prophecy (22). Nowhere in that section, or any other section, are statements that certain gifts are only for general authorities.
The last argument I will provide here is a reference to James 1:5-6. Where in James are we told there are restrictions on what shall be given those who ask?

We do have restrictions. Worthiness is a big one, as is faith. Sometimes information we seek would be harmful to our progress. But otherwise, we can ask and often receive.

With all due respect,

While anyone can be given revelation, it is important to know that dreams can be "inspired by the devil." And if God were to show a mortal human such events, would he tell or not tell the receiver to share their vision or not? There are tons of soothsayers out there who will claim "revelation" from God. Who just goes around preaching imminent doom (ex:Julie Rowe)? If Spencer were to see what he saw, and he was that faithful, would he be like unto Moses who parted the Red Sea with his faith in God? Personally, if I received such lengthy and vivid vision like Spencer's, I would write it down in my journal and keep it a secret and study it out of my heart because my Bishop and ward members would call be nuts. I would wait for it to happen in my lifetime. And if it doesn't, I won't look stupid and be dubbed a false prophet...