Going on a mission

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
GrandMasterB
captain of 1,000

Re: Going on a mission

Post by GrandMasterB »

JohnnyL wrote:
MrNasty wrote:
JohnnyL wrote:Well, you know what I would say--get some EH. About every physical problem started out, and is fueled by, an emotional problem (with a few exceptions that EH can often take care of). Solve the emotional problem, and the physical problem resolves, too. Sometimes it is immediate, sometimes it takes a while to show up, sometimes something (like minerals) are needed... but it can show up because the issue is resolved, but the physical change hasn't caught up yet.
Much, much cheaper than a hospital. Many methods and practitioners to choose from.
Here is an example (3 minutes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJQstGY5E8s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sometimes it is Satan doing the healing, sometimes you can get better results by taking a placebo pill.
No, and no. But thanks for saying that for the 100th time. ;)

At least watch the video next time before commenting...
I have watched several of these Satanic rituals before Johnny. Benny Hinn is the best Energy Healer I have ever witnessed. See the video as proof.

http://youtu.be/a54iqEr1flQ

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

MrNasty wrote:
JohnnyL wrote:
MrNasty wrote:
JohnnyL wrote:Well, you know what I would say--get some EH. About every physical problem started out, and is fueled by, an emotional problem (with a few exceptions that EH can often take care of). Solve the emotional problem, and the physical problem resolves, too. Sometimes it is immediate, sometimes it takes a while to show up, sometimes something (like minerals) are needed... but it can show up because the issue is resolved, but the physical change hasn't caught up yet.
Much, much cheaper than a hospital. Many methods and practitioners to choose from.
Here is an example (3 minutes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJQstGY5E8s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sometimes it is Satan doing the healing, sometimes you can get better results by taking a placebo pill.

I have watched several of these Satanic rituals before Johnny. Benny Hinn is the best Energy Healer I have ever witnessed. See the video as proof.

Please stop being thick-skulled--I've pointed out many times that you can't tell the difference between any types of EH, and have little clue what you are talking about. It's like (trying to) talk to a Pentecostal about the BoM and President Joseph Smith. "My pastor says you have horns", etc. nonsense. Get educated, then come talk.

By the way, how come Elder Oaks implied it was acting, not from Satan (general conference talk, by the way)? :-?

GrandMasterB
captain of 1,000

Post by GrandMasterB »

JohnnyL wrote:
MrNasty wrote:
JohnnyL wrote:
MrNasty wrote:

Please stop being thick-skulled--I've pointed out many times that you can't tell the difference between any types of EH, and have little clue what you are talking about. It's like (trying to) talk to a Pentecostal about the BoM and President Joseph Smith. "My pastor says you have horns", etc. nonsense. Get educated, then come talk.

By the way, how come Elder Oaks implied it was acting, not from Satan (general conference talk, by the way)? :-?
Yeah I believe Benny Hinn can heal as much as I believe you can. Zero!

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

This past week in addition to opening a new apartment (in Clifton, NJ) for the missionaries, we also went to parts of the four Zone Conferences for missionaries. The attached photo shows Elder Harmon from Zone 1 towards the end of the discussion he led on Friday with Elder Peterson -- our Zone Leaders, and fine young men they are! If you look closely at the white-board, you can catch the gist of the discussion about "attitudes".

Yesterday we finally made it to the Atlantic Ocean, "the shore" they call it around here. Along with other senior missionaries, we went to the Barnagot
Zone Conference 7 Oct 2016.jpg
Zone Conference 7 Oct 2016.jpg (70.81 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
Light-house and enjoyed climbing up all those stairs to the top!

Our photo was taken at the top, and shows the blustery day that we had. Actually no rain fell until we went up 217 steps and back down, then out on the board-walk... so it worked out fine - and we enjoyed the trip.

After the lighthouse tour, we had lunch at a fun little diner on the long-beach island. We stopped at Pt. Pleasant beach and boardwalk on the way home, but by then it was quite rainy.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Trying again for that photo atop the lighthouse
Attachments
atop litehouse.jpg
atop litehouse.jpg (67.09 KiB) Viewed 3337 times

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Did I mention that Sister Jones and I are staying busy serving the missionaries and the branch members?
so tonight, brief text and later I'll add a photo or two.

Monday - FHE with singles in the branch, at Sister Boon's humble home.
Tuesday - district conference with the missionaries, birthday party (held once a month now).
Evening - 4 Elders in our branch + branch miss. leader over to our apartment for dinner
Wed - Scripture Study class - I felt motivated to talk more about Zion and AoA -

Thursday - met with a Sister L who had a migraine, but wanted her less-active husband to meet and talk. He and I spoke in French, reading some from the GREAT Book of Mormon (in French). I told her about avoiding MSG. We'll meet weekly for a while, planned that.
Friday - to the NYCity Temple with two branch members via train to NYC Penn station, then Subway.
Eve - wonderful discussion with our Mission President Taggart.

Saturday - down to Manahawkin to help Elders clean out an apartment (an apartment move) - about a 2 hour drive from our home. Took Sister Jones to Chinese dinner down there - great.
&7pm, evening session of our Scotch Plains Stake conference - with Elder Culverwood of 70 there - awesome!

Sunday - took Carlos to our Stake Conf. held at the Union County Performing Arts Center in Rahway - wonderful SPIRIT was there!!! Spent some time resting this evening, oh, we sat and watched a Hallmark movie together in our apartment (thought it was very good, a Dean Hughes book was the basis - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14MJ22mSOmw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Yesterday turned out awesome. Beautiful day, about 60 deg F. Autumn leaves everywhere.
First we went to Elizabeth and unloaded a Sr. couple apartment - went fast, with approx 8 Elders+Sisters helping, along with E/S Goddard (Elder Goddard drove the truck and trailer! He also writes here on this forum, he said the other day... Cool!)
Then to the storage area in Newark to unload, 4 Elders helped there.

Then to Morristown chapel to get the mission truck, then to the mission office to get some anti-bed-bug encasements. Then I drove the truck to Nanuet, New York, about a one-hour drive, to take 2 Sisters and 2 Elders some needed furniture etc., and to pick up stuff from their storage units (under their apartments).

Whew! AFter all the work, we took the Nanuet Elders and Sisters (4 total) to Five Guys and bought them dinner. It gave us an opportunity to give the missionaries dinner - which I hope y'all are doing, wherever you may be.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

It's so nice to read of your activities out there, Steve! Fun also, to see you are acquainted with the Morristown chapel - my parents visited there often during their mission to NJ.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Thanks, Emmalee.
Today a sad note...
Attached is a photo of Carlos N, sitting in our car as we often gave him rides here and there.
We learned that he passed away Friday -- no details as to the cause of passing yet.

He went into the hospital last Monday. Sister Jones and I visited him on Monday after FHE and again on Wednesday before scripture study (both of which he has attended faithfully for months). On Monday, I voiced a priesthood blessing per his request. He was supposed to be operated on Friday -- but he passed away before the operation.

We will miss him!
Carlos Nov 2016.jpg
Carlos Nov 2016.jpg (43.5 KiB) Viewed 3061 times

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

This past week that has been awesome for us. A quick summary follows along with a few photos.

Monday 28 Nov 2016.  FHE lesson was given by “our” investigator Mary and dinner by Sisters Scott and Boon. It was a moving Christmas story from an older Ensign which we gave her and she is enjoying it, she said.
Tuesday was transfer day, which comes every six weeks. Sister Jones and I went to the transfer conference - so fun for the young missionaries! They like to “whoop it up” sometimes, and this is one of those times. Game performed in a circle. Wish you could see the video.
1 Whooping it up.jpg
1 Whooping it up.jpg (114.66 KiB) Viewed 2917 times

Sister Jones also got a phone to a missionary (including blue-toothing the contact info); while I worked on getting beds into 3 apartments since 3 new three-somes formed.
 Tuesday eve – as usual on Tuesdays, Sister Jones and I prepared dinner for four Elders + our branch mission leader; including this time salads, chicken pot pie and pumpkin roll with whipped cream! Investigators discussed.

Wednesday - District mtgs - awesome as always.  Role playing is used a lot for practicing new methods. 
2 Missionaries Role Play Nov .jpg
2 Missionaries Role Play Nov .jpg (872.08 KiB) Viewed 2917 times

Then choir practice as the missionaries will provide Firesides this month.
Note: Sister Jones left in photo is the Stake President's wife and she came in unannounced and began teaching the missionaries how to sing full and round.
3 Sister Jones stk pres wife teaching how to sing.jpg
3 Sister Jones stk pres wife teaching how to sing.jpg (97.48 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
Wednesday Eve – Sister Jones and I participated in the funeral service for our departed friend Carlos, who moved to the US from Cuba decades ago – and served his new country in the Vietnam war. It was very moving – as shown by the smiles and also tears of his family members. I offered a few remembrances of our friend; also conducted opening and closing hymns. Branch President Hinds spoke along with 2nd counselor Jorge Martinez (who spoke in Spanish about half of his talk, directed particularly to Carlos' family members). There was also a nice tribute by 2 military men including playing of taps.

Thursday – We went by NJ transit train and then NY subway to the NYCity Temple with Sister Falana who is from Nigeria. Our area (much of it shown in aerial map) holds about 20 million people! The blue line on the map is the route of the train we ride from Newark Broad Street station to NY City Penn station – from there we took the subway to the Temple in downtown Manhattan.

After we returned to New Jersey, Sister Jones provided a new phone for a companionship in the parking lot of the Newark chapel where we met. Later that evening, we drove to the Morristown chapel and picked up the mission truck for moving duties on Friday.

Friday – Two Elders in Woodlawn helped me load a fridge into the truck, then I drove to storage to unload and pick up table and chairs for AP's.  That was Sister Jones' idea when she heard they needed a new table. Great help and Thanks!  Sister Jones and I then went to the Short Hills meetinghouse. She helped two sets of Elders with two phones who were there for the Mission Leader Conference. Meanwhile I helped the Assistants get the table and chairs into their vehicle. We also saw some of the training meeting after Sister Taggart invited us to join them for lunch - great!  
Then we drove back to Morristown to drop off the truck there. Next to the mission office in Mendham, where we did office work for nearly five hours - offered co-workers pumpkin pie + whipped cream ('tis the season to be jowl-y).  Then to see the creche display at Morristown chapel. It was awesome and we returned with an investigator to see it on Sunday.

Saturday - We cleaned out our car which was still carrying beaucoup cleaning supplies; then went to TWO special Christmas dinners - one for Senior Missionaries, where we discussed Christmas traditions and remembrances.  Sister Jones was happy that the Turkey Divan she made was enjoyed. Second, was the Relief Society dinner we went to at East Orange Branch – awesome! (I was invited, and that was good because Brother Getty came with his family – this way, he would not be the only male there.) Great talks by two Sisters.

Sunday -  I went to the 9 am PEC meeting at the East Orange Branch president's office. Then I drove to pick up Mary, who is getting ready to be baptized. On the way to the chapel, six minutes before church was to begin, I got a phone call from the Elders. Would I pick up a family of four on Prospect Avenue? OK, I said. I did a quick U-turn (not so easy out here), and they squeezed into our back seat. It was fun to meet them and bring them to Church!
At Fast and Testimony Meeting, I related/bore the testimony that Carlos had given to Sister Jones and I while sitting in our car as we were dropping him off at his apartment about a week before his passing. Carlos said that people join the Church for various reasons; but that he wanted to testify that he knew that the Church was true and right. That's why he was baptized!
Attendance at the meeting was good – about 63 there. Sister Jones gave an awesome Temple Preparation lesson in Sunday School.  That was well-attended also. The lesson focused on the great Plan of Happiness/Salvation.
In the later afternoon, we drove with Sister Mary (investigator) to see the Creche display at the Morristown chapel and to hear musical presentations, which were awesome! It was a very moving way to get the Christmas spirit!

On the way home, we stopped to see Sister Boon in the East Orange General Hospital at Sister Jones suggestion, then to take the sack lunches to a family who were going to go with us to the Creche display but couldn't go after all. We visit with them often and I practice my French with them while teaching.
Home felt great after being gone for ten hours. We had some dinner and then watched the LDS First Presidency Christmas fireside. It was so moving. That Tabernacle Choir! We prepared a few Christmas presents for family and got to bed a little after 10:30 pm.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Evidently one can only do 3 photos in a post... so here's more:
Wednesday Eve – Sister Jones and I participated in the funeral service for our departed friend Carlos, who moved to the US from Cuba decades ago – and served his new country in the Vietnam war. It was very moving – as shown by the smiles and also tears of his family members. I offered a few remembrances of our friend; also conducted opening and closing hymns. Branch President Hinds spoke along with 2nd counselor Jorge Martinez (who spoke in Spanish about half of his talk, directed particularly to Carlos' family members). There was also a nice tribute by 2 military men including playing of taps.
4 Carlos funeral2.jpg
4 Carlos funeral2.jpg (136.83 KiB) Viewed 2895 times
Thursday – We went by NJ transit train and then NY subway to the NYCity Temple with Sister Falana who is from Nigeria. Our area (much of it shown in aerial map) holds about 20 million people! The blue line on the map is the route of the train we ride from Newark Broad Street station to NY City Penn station – from there we took the subway to the Temple in downtown Manhattan.
5 Aerial Newark-NYCity.jpg
5 Aerial Newark-NYCity.jpg (500.94 KiB) Viewed 2895 times

After we returned to New Jersey, Sister Jones provided a new phone for a companionship in the parking lot of the Newark chapel where we met. Later that evening, we drove to the Morristown chapel and picked up the mission truck for moving duties on Friday.

Friday – Two Elders in Woodlawn helped me load a fridge into the truck, then I drove to storage to unload and pick up table and chairs for AP's. That was Sister Jones' idea when she heard they needed a new table. Great help and Thanks! Sister Jones and I then went to the Short Hills meetinghouse. She helped two sets of Elders with two phones who were there for the Mission Leader Conference. Meanwhile I helped the Assistants get the table and chairs into their vehicle. We also saw some of the training meeting after Sister Taggart invited us to join them for lunch - great!
Then we drove back to Morristown to drop off the truck there. Next to the mission office in Mendham, where we did office work for nearly five hours - offered co-workers pumpkin pie + whipped cream ('tis the season to be jowl-y). Then to see the creche display at Morristown chapel. It was awesome and we returned with an investigator to see it on Sunday.

Saturday - We cleaned out our car which was still carrying beaucoup cleaning supplies; then went to TWO special Christmas dinners - one for Senior Missionaries, where we discussed Christmas traditions and remembrances. Sister Jones was happy that the Turkey Divan she made was enjoyed. Second, was the Relief Society dinner we went to at East Orange Branch – awesome! (I was invited, and that was good because Brother Getty came with his family – this way, he would not be the only male there.) Great talks by two Sisters.

Sunday - I went to the 9 am PEC meeting at the East Orange Branch president's office. Then I drove to pick up Mary, who is getting ready to be baptized. On the way to the chapel, six minutes before church was to begin, I got a phone call from the Elders. Would I pick up a family of four on Prospect Avenue? OK, I said. I did a quick U-turn (not so easy out here), and they squeezed into our back seat. It was fun to meet them and bring them to Church!
At Fast and Testimony Meeting, I related/bore the testimony that Carlos had given to Sister Jones and I while sitting in our car as we were dropping him off at his apartment about a week before his passing. Carlos said that people join the Church for various reasons; but that he wanted to testify that he knew that the Church was true and right. That's why he was baptized!
Attendance at the meeting was good – about 63 there. Sister Jones gave an awesome Temple Preparation lesson in Sunday School. That was well-attended also. The lesson focused on the great Plan of Happiness/Salvation.
In the later afternoon, we drove with Sister Mary (investigator) to see the Creche display at the Morristown chapel and to hear musical presentations, which were awesome! It was a very moving way to get the Christmas spirit!
7 at Creche 4 Dec.jpg
7 at Creche 4 Dec.jpg (134.56 KiB) Viewed 2895 times
On the way home, we stopped to see Sister Boon in the East Orange General Hospital at Sister Jones suggestion, then to take the sack lunches to a family who were going to go with us to the Creche display but couldn't go after all. We visit with them often and I practice my French with them while teaching.
Home felt great after being gone for ten hours. We had some dinner and then watched the LDS First Presidency Christmas fireside. It was so moving. That Tabernacle Choir! We prepared a few Christmas presents for family and got to bed a little after 10:30 pm.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Just wanted to briefly record an enjoyable conversation with an awesome young Elder here.

We were both at the mission office, and he told me that he wants to be a researcher and some day a "holistic" type of doctor. He asked about Universities that might be desirable for that type of training. (He has already decided that BYU is not the one for that. Plus, he said, he wants to grow a beard!).

I gave him the email address of my personal #1 doctor, who is a holistic doctor - if any of you have suggestions for him, I will pass these along. He is going home in a few weeks, having completed a great mission for the Lord here in New Jersey.

The he asked me about my research as a Physics Professor... I thought a moment, and said that "Steven Jones" is a fairly common type of name, he agreed. And then (not to boast, but to answer his question) - picked up my smart phone and asked, "Who is Steven Jones?"

Siri replied "According to Wikipedia, Steven Earl Jones is an American Physicist..." and provides the photo and link to the Wikipedia page. I said he could read more about my research there. He said "That is awesome" and that he would read the article. (The Wikipedia article has a bunch of references to my research, and I see it has been edited in recent months so that it quite accurate now - although not complete - and not "the book" I would write, if I were writing a book about my life!)

PS -- many thanks to two fellows here on LDSFF who I know have provided more accuracy in the Wikipedia article by their edits!

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

On Wednesday evenings, Sister Jones and I offer a scripture study class which mostly I teach, but she contributes awesomely.

Anyway, two stalwart attenders said they couldn't come (last minute), but we decided to go ahead. I had notes prepared for a discussion on 3rd Nephi and the coming of Jesus Christ to America following His resurrection.

So the class started out very small... but about a half hour in, we had a bunch of people come in to class -- all from Haiti. Since they spoke some English but mostly fluent in French, I ran out to my car and got two fresh copies of the Book of Mormon in French and one in English - and began teaching in French and English as I did at the baptism last Sunday. That worked well, and the Spirit helped again last night!
Oh - and TWO of the people who came in were INVESTIGATORS! So I gave each a Book of Mormon to read and to keep.

We read starting in 3 Nephi 10 then on into chapter 11 where Jesus talks about "His doctrine," what we all the "Doctrine of Christ." Interesting that Jesus talks about this right off the bat when He comes to America!

Also felt prompted to talk about Ezekiel and the Stick of Judah and Stick of Joseph - I opened the Bible there in the RS room to Ezekiel, but couldn't remember where this passage was located. A few page flips, and my eyes landed on it - in Ezekiel 37. I had an investigator read (Pascal). He is a fine, humble man from Haiti - the Spirit seems to be moving on Haitians in this area at this time!

We read together and discussed about the 12 tribes of Israel and the words of Jesus in the Bible AND the Book of Mormon. I bore my testimony and challenged all present to read 3 Nephi 11 through 17 for next Wednesday's class.

Thank the Lord for pouring out His Spirit on us!

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Today dawns bright and clear - with ample snow on the ground. But Church goes on! And what a day is in store. I'm so looking forward to it -

First, I had a call from Elder Gerrard, and a Haitian family of four wants a ride to Church, which we will be so glad to provide. OK - three who were baptized last week PLUS their Mother - who is still in investigator status. But she wants to come to Church and see her daughters confirmed members! I will actually have to make two trips - driving FOUR to church on the first trip and then back to get my wife and perhaps others who need a ride for the second trip.

Now, the Branch President last night asked if I would voice the THREE confirmation prayers in French! for the three new members (since they speak little English). I said I would be glad to do that.

Oui, en Francais! C'est une grande opportunite - mais je prie beaucoup pour l'aide du Seigneur.
The Haitians refer to the Lord as "Bon Dieu" or "Pere Celeste".

Further - Sister Jones was asked (last night about 9 pm) to give a talk in Sacrament Mtg today, and she said she would. She has notes prepared now, but didn't get much sleep, I think.

Further moreover - there is another BAPTISM planned for this afternoon, just after Church!! Wow, that makes a baptismal service in our little Branch THREE weeks in a ROW!

And so if you would join in your prayers for us in the East Orange, New Jersey, Branch - I would appreciate it! We have detected opposition yet also an outpouring of the Spirit at our meetings lately to help us.

Your prayers - and forgiveness if I trespassed against you somehow - would be most appreciated!

Je vous dirais au plus tard comment ca va aujourd'hui.

I've noticed that when I need to speak French as in Church settings, rather suddenly the fluency in French comes - and I thank the Lord for this gift from Him! I acknowledge His hand in our blessings at this time in our little LDS Branch and would appreciate your prayers.
Moroni 6: 4 And after they had been received unto baptism, and were wrought upon and cleansed by the power of the Holy Ghost, they were numbered among the people of the church of Christ; and their names were taken, that they might be remembered and nourished by the good word of God, to keep them in the right way, to keep them continually watchful unto prayer, relying alone upon the merits of Christ, who was the author and the finisher of their faith.

5 And the church did meet together oft, to fast and to pray, and to speak one with another concerning the welfare of their souls.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Thank you all - for supportive prayers regarding our mission.

Sister Jones' talk at Sacrament mtg went very well.

The baptism took place and was a rejoicing, Spirit-filled event! I was asked to give a talk and lead the music - very glad to do so.

All three Haitians were confirmed today -and the Mother came to the baptism and afterwords told us, "I'm next!"
Hurray!

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Yesterday, Sister Jones and I left our apartment about 8:45am and returned 10:15pm - long day! Moving furniture, cleaning 2 apartments - with help from other Sr Couples also. Fun lunch together! Some snow as I drove the mission truck, nothing too bad.

Awesome at Church today- Ivens Champagne was confirmed, and another baptism next Sunday was announced. Sister Jones' Temple Prep class was well attended and went very well.
I was asked to teach Priesthood lesson (# 2 in manual) - and was glad to do so. Daniel's prophecy led us to also talk about Bk of Revelation prophecy a little - and the New Jerusalem Temple to be built in Missouri!

Scripture study class notes from last Wednesday follow.

The Lord's Spirit was truly felt at our meetings, and we are so grateful! unity builds.

NOTES FROM our study class on Wednesday:

3 Nephi 11 – 17 ONE page of notes (Elder Jones). "It is clear that 3 Nephi contains some of the most moving and powerful passages in all scripture. It testifies of Jesus Christ, His prophets, and the doctrines of salvation. What a blessing it would be if every family would frequently read together 3 Nephi, discuss its sacred contents, and then determine how they can liken it unto themselves and apply its teachings in their lives! Third Nephi is a book that should be read and read again. Its testimony of the resurrected Christ in America is given in purity and beauty." (President Ezra Taft Benson, A Witness and a Warning, p. 43)
3 Ne 11:1 a great multitude gathered together...about the temple which was in the land Bountiful Gathering at a temple was mandatory under the law of Moses (Exodus 23:17) and was common among the Lehites -- who lived the law of Moses UNTIL – when?
11:13 ff “Christ chose to retain those wounds for a purpose, including for his appearance in the last days when he will show those marks and reveal that he was wounded 'in the house of [his] friends' (DC 45:52; Zech 13:6). The wounds in his hands, feet, and side are signs that in mortality painful things happen even to the pure and the perfect, signs that tribulation is not evidence that God does not love us. It is a significant and hopeful fact that it is the wounded Christ who comes to our rescue. He who bears the scars of sacrifice, the lesions of love, the emblems of humility and forgiveness is the Captain of our Soul. That evidence of pain in mortality is undoubtedly intended to give courage to others who are also hurt and wounded by life, perhaps even in the house of their friends. In spite of the size of the great multitude, Christ nevertheless took time for each one to have that personal experience." –Elder Holland
11:22-end “Doctrine of Christ” – faith, repentance, baptism by authority, cleansing by the Holy Ghost, endure to __ _______. How many times does Jesus here speak of baptism?
3 Nephi 12-14 Similar to the Sermon on the Mount – and why? Example of Jesus “Higher Law”: “21 Ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, and it is also written before you, that thou shalt not kill, and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment of God; 22 But I say unto you, that whosoever is angry with his brother shall be in danger of his judgment.” Example: Adultery (law of Moses stoned); avoid even Lust (Higher Law). Read 3 Ne 12: verses 43-47
3 Ne 14:1-5 “Judge not” = condemn not. "Throughout my life...I have observed that as a rule it seems as if human beings like to gossip. We like to hear unsavory things about our neighbors and talk about each other. It seems that ofttimes we get a certain degree of satisfaction or even joy out of saying bad things about other people. We thoughtlessly and sometimes maliciously judge each other. We censure our associates sometimes unjustly, many times unkindly; and most of the time we speak without having the evidence to back up what we are saying. We seem to forget that James, the brother of the Lord, warned that the unbridled tongue is 'full of deadly poison.' (James 3:8.) "I know that even sometimes people who are faithful in the Church pass judgment and condemnation on those with whom they associate without knowing the facts. Such is displeasing to God." (Elder Milton Hunter, Conference Report, Oct. 1960, p. 64)
3 Ne 15: 21 into 16:5 21 And verily I say unto you, that ye are they of whom I said: Other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.” Jesus will visit others of the house of Israel – who? See 3Ne17:4 . Also, stern warning to the Gentiles! 3 Ne 16:13ff
3 Ne 17:3 “go ye unto your homes, and ponder upon the things which I have said, and ask of the Father, in my name, that ye may understand, and prepare your minds for the morrow, and I come unto you again. 4 But now I go unto the Father, and also to show myself unto the lost tribes of Israel, for they are not lost unto the Father, for he knoweth whither he hath taken them.” Please read D&C 133: 26 - 34
“If the Savior had ..extra time for the Nephites, so we should have… extra time for inconvenient and untimely acts of compassionate service.” http://www.gospeldoctrine.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; content/3-nephi-17
3 Ne 17: 9 Jesus “did heal them every one as they were brought forth unto him. 10 And they did all, both they who had been healed and they who were whole, bow down at his feet, and did worship him; and as many as could come for the multitude did kiss his feet, insomuch that they did bathe his feet with their tears. 11 And it came to pass that he commanded that their little children should be brought.” READ through verse 25.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

A few days ago at the Temple in Manhattan -- what a gem amongst thieves! -- my wife and I had a special experience together. Then in the Celestial room we opened the scriptures seeking guidance. I feel to share this now.

This is something we have done before - seeking what words the Lord has for us, by opening His word seemingly at random - but then seeing what He has for us at that time.

Sister Jones opened to Zechariah 13 -
6 And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.
I believe this is a reference to Jesus - and could also apply to modern Prophets who will be "Wounded in the house of /their/ friends" - meaning us, the Church, perhaps.

Then - pls read on:
7 Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, and against the man that is my fellow, saith the Lord of hosts: smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered: and I will turn mine hand upon the little ones.

8 And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the Lord, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein.

9 And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God
"SMITE THE SHEPHERD" -- which shepherd? The President? yikes - then "two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein." And the Lord will refine the 1/3 part, majorly. How will this happen?

So what did I open to? It seems along the same lines - I opened right to D&C 38, and my eyes fell on this warning from the Lord:

" 28 And again, I say unto you that the enemy in the secret chambers seeketh your lives.

29 Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land.

30 I tell you these things because of your prayers; wherefore, treasure up wisdom in your bosoms, lest the wickedness of men reveal these things unto you by their wickedness, in a manner which shall speak in your ears with a voice louder than that which shall shake the earth; but if ye are prepared ye shall not fear.

31 And that ye might escape the power of the enemy, and be gathered unto me a righteous people
, without spot and blameless..."

So, there is a "power of the enemy" and they in secret chambers seek our lives, but the Lord will gather us and deliver us. Indeed I hope that many (1/3?) will escape that which is to come, and that we will be "prepared" and "not fear."

I proceeded to read the rest of D&C 38 while still in the Temple - and I recommend it highly to you. It is the Lord speaking to us!

True
captain of 100

Post by True »

Bro. Jones,

I always do this same thing in the celestial room and the Lord always seems to have the very thing I needed to hear.

The topic is very interesting for sure. I want to be refined as gold! I don't know if I'll like the process but how i would like to be precious to the Lord!

My kids were just talking about how there would never be war in the US. They are ages 5-14. I told them they were wrong about that - but these scriptures would be good ones to read "lest the wickedness of men reveal these things unto them .... in a manner.... that will shake the earth." It's better to hear it from the Lord.

Keep up the good work!!!

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Thanks, True.
Now will share some recent thoughts/ponderings out here in NJ --

I've been reading/pondering a lot about the "Lost" Ten Tribes - see e.g.,
3 Nephi 17:4
D&C 133
ART Faith #10
and: D*C 110

Quote:
11 After this vision closed, the heavens were again opened unto us; and Moses appeared before us, and committed unto us the keys of the gathering of Israel from the four parts of the earth, and the leading of the ten tribes from the land of the north.
Wait - "the land of the north" - wouldn't that be, ummmm, north?

OK - your compass points north, towards earth's magnetic pole somewhere up in Canada. It wanders - and indeed has "flipped" over the millenia.

So - first, what is NOW "south" (i.e., Antarctica) was once "north". Cool way to hide "the land of the North" - just switch the earth's magnetism! clever, eh?

ALSO - your North pole on your compass attracts to what? it attracts to SOUTH magnetic pole. Thus, pointing "north", your compass is actually pointing toward the SOUTH magnetic pole.
And, correspondingly, the actual-north-magnetic pole is in Antarctica. Hence, "the land of the north."
Cool.

And a SUPER place to hide - ice-covered, yet lots of land, about the size of USA and Canada combined!

Mountains, caves, geo-thermal heating -- a really good place to hide a LOT of people.

133:
Quote:

26 And they who are in the north countries shall come in remembrance before the Lord; and their prophets shall hear his voice, and shall no longer stay themselves; and they shall smite the rocks, and the ice shall flow down at their presence.

27 And an highway shall be cast up in the midst of the great deep.

28 Their enemies shall become a prey unto them,

29 And in the barren deserts there shall come forth pools of living water; and the parched ground shall no longer be a thirsty land.

30 And they shall bring forth their rich treasures unto the children of Ephraim, my servants.

31 And the boundaries of the everlasting hills shall tremble at their presence.

32 And there shall they fall down and be crowned with glory, even in Zion, by the hands of the servants of the Lord, even the children of Ephraim.

33 And they shall be filled with songs of everlasting joy.

The "lost" ten tribes are coming to ZION ( excuse me, but I think He means Missouri!! that's where the New Jerusalem Temple WILL be built, D&C 57 etc)
with POWER - unstoppable: 28 Their enemies shall become a prey unto them,

Yes, fulfillment I believe of the prophecies of Jesus himself in 3 Nephi. Read this and wonder at the awesome prophecies of the Lord!

Quote:
12 And I will show unto thee, O house of Israel, that the Gentiles shall not have power over you; but I will remember my covenant unto you, O house of Israel, and ye shall come unto the knowledge of the fulness of my gospel.

13 But if the Gentiles will repent and return unto me, saith the Father, behold they shall be numbered among my people, O house of Israel.

14 And I will not suffer my people, who are of the house of Israel [including prominently I believe the "unstoppable" Lost Ten Tribes!], to go through among them, and tread them down, saith the Father.

15 But if they will not turn unto me, and hearken unto my voice, I will suffer them, yea, I will suffer my people, O house of Israel, that they shall go through among them, and shall tread them down, and they shall be as salt that hath lost its savor, which is thenceforth good for nothing but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of my people, O house of Israel.

16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, thus hath the Father commanded me—that I should give unto this people this land for their inheritance.

17 And then the words of the prophet Isaiah shall be fulfilled, which say:

18 Thy watchmen shall lift up the voice; with the voice together shall they sing, for they shall see eye to eye when the Lord shall bring again Zion.
Yes, the LORD WILL "bring again ZION" - with the aid of the unstoppable "Lost Ten Tribes" -- and it will be in Missouri!
I'm sooo looking forward to that!

Love you guys! gotta run out here in New Jersey, and soon I hope with many of you in NJ! (New Jerusalem)
--Elder Jones

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Friends - our little grandson Cal Zundel is scheduled to have surgery next Monday, 30 January, in Utah. He had a heart operation a few months after birth, and his health has been somewhat precarious. He now faces removal of tonsils and adenoids and possible additional throat surgery to correct problems.

Would you please remember little Cal Zundel in your prayers? We would appreciate it!

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

BroJones wrote:Friends - our little grandson Cal Zundel is scheduled to have surgery next Monday, 30 January, in Utah. He had a heart operation a few months after birth, and his health has been somewhat precarious. He now faces removal of tonsils and adenoids and possible additional throat surgery to correct problems.

Would you please remember little Cal Zundel in your prayers? We would appreciate it!
Yes, I'll add my prayers for him, I hope all goes well. I enjoy reading about your mission experiences too--thanks for sharing them, it's nice to know I can read something that will lift my spirits. :)

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

I've been studying anomalies in Antarctica (see my earlier post also Re: lost ten tribes...)

A scientist friend notes this large opening (see google earth photo below) - and he provides coordinates.
Would anyone care to check the approx. diameter of this opening? Also - does it appear natural, or man-made - or what?).
A scientist friend notes this large opening (see google earth photo below) - and he provides coordinates.
Would anyone care to check the approx. diameter of this opening? Also - does it appear natural, or man-made - or what?
Attachments
Graham locates green-cave-entry antarc (1).jpg
Graham locates green-cave-entry antarc (1).jpg (139.25 KiB) Viewed 1789 times

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

BroJones wrote:I've been studying anomalies in Antarctica (see my earlier post also Re: lost ten tribes...)

Would anyone care to check the approx. diameter of this opening? Also - does it appear natural, or man-made - or what?).
Would anyone care to check the approx. diameter of this opening? Also - does it appear natural, or man-made - or what?
I found it on Google Earth. But using the US Department of Commerce National Hurricane Center Latitude/Longitude distance calculator, it wasn't precise enough to pick up the longitudinal width of the hole (keeping the latitude constant) in terms of the sm, nm and km scales. The width is very close to 1 second of longitude calculated at the 66.6 deg. latitude. A bit more time at this, and I'm sure I can find the formulas for doing the conversion, but got to get back to work.

My guess would be in the range of 50 to 200 feet . . . maybe more. And I'm only looking at the very dark opening. If you look at the entire circular topography of it, you're maybe trebling the opening size.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

If you look at Google Earth, there is a "Measure Distance" function, obtained with a right click. You then click on one point, then click to another point, and a line forms - across the opening. This gives you the answer then in feet (if one requests feet).
I haven't done this for awhile, but will try it also.

-- I tried it. results will be posted tomorrow.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

BroJones wrote:If you look at Google Earth, there is a "Measure Distance" function, obtained with a right click. You then click on one point, then click to another point, and a line forms - across the opening. This gives you the answer then in feet (if one requests feet).
I haven't done this for awhile, but will try it also.

-- I tried it. results will be posted tomorrow.
Cool. I wish I'd known.