Going on a mission

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Going on a mission

Post by BroJones »

My wife and I have been called to serve in the New Jersey Morristown mission, full-time, primarily as office helpers - but added that we may be asked by the mission president to do various things.

We enter the Provo MTC for eleven days of training beginning 28 March 2016... We're excited!

I wish to call your attention to one more house that has come up ... fyi. I'm pondering whether to try another crowd-funding effort, as this is a nice house at near-give-away price... but my plate is full it seems...

Some info on the house next to us at 203 E. Clay St., Albany, MO.

FSBO, and nothing on-line to show you unfortunately. Nice family selling it - Crawfords. Mark is LDS and is now in a care center with diabetes... that's why they're selling the house.

I went in with my son Seth this morning - looks good overall. Basement is dry! Roof - no leaks seen.

3 bedrooms, small kitchen.
Heat is hot-water system, but has been drained - would need small repairs and re-filling. Natural gas, also water-heater is gas.
Bathrooms - 2 half-baths upstairs plus sinks in two of the bedrooms.
Basement - full bath with shower.

Asking $20K, Bryan Crawford said he'd accept offers (he was fun - needs to get a above $15K he said).
You can call Bryan directly at 660 254-1989.

Yes - I think this is a GOOD deal. But you'd need to move quickly - he said he'd give a few days, as he has another offer he's sitting on.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Going on a mission

Post by Robert Sinclair »

Sounds like a wonderful deal. Hope another needy family is helped with it. Hope where ever you go, good things happen, and I feel they will. You get a chance while in Utah, to spread the word of a return to the "United Order", to be considered, by the Twelve, at the next upcoming General Conference, that would be wonderful as well, if ear is given, to yes, that might be a good thing to take up, and discuss. Who knows, the redemption of Zion, might just begin, soon.♡

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

$20,000 for a house?
Seriously?

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Yes, he is serious.♡

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Ready to move to America around the lands of Adam-ondi-Ahman? Just call the number Bro Jones put up, and see how much they will settle for, he said they need over $15,000.00 to make it work for the seller.♡

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

OK - if WE are going to do this, this time, I request -

1. Some indication that you guys will support the effort again.
2. There is a single Mom and her children that contacted me months ago; I had no house fitting then, but this one looks good...
3. She wrote just today:
"Hello,
I am so happy to hear from you. Yes, I am still in need of a home. I currently rent a small apartment in St. George, UT. I live with my 16 year old daughter Lily and may have my oldest daughter and grandson living with me soon. I would need a 2-3 bedroom place.
I have been praying like crazy lately for God to help me find somewhere to go. This apartment is miserable and tiny and we have been looking to move. I have scoured the local craigslist and everything keeps coming up scams? I have wondered what God has in store for us as this is an ongoing prayer and things have been at a stop? My greatest hearts desire is to own a little home that i can stay put in. I have never owned a home, have always rented and had to move from place to place. It has been hard for all of us.
.. Thank you so very much for remembering about me. My family has been through a lot, have suffered greatly over the years and this gives me hope that maybe things really can get better!
Sincerely,,,,"

4. I would explain the situation to the seller and offer around $15,500 - but then I would need you to kick in say in the next month so we could close by 27 March (just before wife and I go into the MTC)

That's the crucial point - can WE raise !5.5K in 5 weeks? what do you think?
Besides Robert (thanks as always, Robert!) - who can be counted on to support the effort?

Pls let me know ASAP on this initiative, or if you think its too crazy to work again...

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

I can consistantly send in $200.00 a month starting with my next Social Security deposit by the second wednesday of each month, you get it set up, and we have done this before, can the owner give a little more time if you make installments? You let us all know, there are over 500 people looking in almost every day and night, I know you have already done this twice, I have faith, you can do it again, even as before.♡

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Bro Jones,
Maybe start a new thread with a clear title - "home for single mother who needs help", or something like that and post an email address people can discuss helping you, or ask them to private message you, as that might draw attention right away to what you are seeking. Someone might have alot to offer yet wish to remain private about it. ♡

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Robert Sinclair wrote:Yes, he is serious.♡
That wouldn't buy a parking space here.
Seriously, it wouldn't.

So how does this work?
I may have £600 spare (which I think is around $900 or so - the value of Sterling has fallen recently because of the uncertainty surrounding the upcoming EU referendum).
Who would hold the title to the house?
Who would be responsible for taxes etc?

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Bro Jones has come on this forum, to see to it homes were given outright, with covenants and deeds of title to homeless families in need.

Good people gave in large numbers to where what started out as one home, turned into two homes, for two needy families, as like the united order, for the redemption of Zion, is to be someday.

Bro. Jones, was like a Bishop, who took donations in, and imparted, covenants and deeds, as is written in D&C 42:30 to impart, unto these poor and needy families.

He has found another inexpensive home, and family in need, and is seeking once again, to know if those who come on this forum, wish to see a piece of Zion, establised once more.♡

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Robin Hood wrote:
Seriously, it wouldn't.

So how does this work?
I may have £600 spare (which I think is around $900 or so - the value of Sterling has fallen recently because of the uncertainty surrounding the upcoming EU referendum).

The title would go directly to the single mother (in this case - just as the last time we did this a year ago), and she would be responsible for taxes thereafter.
We found with the last house that since the initial price was so low, that taxes were low also. It has worked out wonderfully for the previous purchase - the sister and her two children are VERY active and great contributors to our small branch. (Small in numbers, but large in geographical size - this is a rural area in northwest Missouri.)

Thanks for asking.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

BroJones wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:
Seriously, it wouldn't.

So how does this work?

The title would go directly to the single mother (in this case - just as the last time we did this a year ago), and she would be responsible for taxes thereafter.
We found with the last house that since the initial price was so low, that taxes were low also. It has worked out wonderfully for the previous purchase - the sister and her two children are VERY active and great contributors to our small branch. (Small in numbers, but large in geographical size - this is a rural area in northwest Missouri.)

Thanks for asking.
I don't agree with this at all.
This woman is given a free house, paid for by us, but is under no obligation to live in it?
She could sell it and walk away with the money any time she likes.

It would be much better for us to form a consortium, buy the house, and charge her a manageable rent based on her circumstances. The rent payments then accrue and can be used towards the next house purchase, and so on.
This would be a not-for-profit arrangement aimed at providing as many low cost homes for needy people as possible. A kind of perpetual accommodation fund.

Should the tenants circumstances change over time she could purchase the home from us at a substantial discount (perhaps 50%), or have her monthly rent converted into interest free payments.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

There is no need to prove that the families will live in these homes, as they have no where else to go, in their oppressed states, usually, and Bro Jones, uses his discernment in these matters.

This is the order of Enoch and Melchizedek used, under the direction of God, to grant ownership outright, with a covenant and a deed, that will not be broken, see D&C 42:30, with the faith and hope, that as these have done for them, they will do for others, as good latter day saints do.

Two other families have been given homes in this manner, and Bro. Jones, can give witness as to whether these homes were just sold, and the families move on, or whether they live there, and are grateful, and the blessings to them, and all that helped, will be recompenced, at the judgement bar of Christ, having done that which he has said should be done, in these promised lands of Zion.♡

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Sorry Robert, but this is foolishness in my view.
She may not sell and walk away straightaway but what about next year or the year after etc?

I agree with the "to each according to his need" concept, but only if it is linked with "from each according to his ability". You can't just give someone a house simply because they are poor, and require nothing in the future. This is contrary to gospel principles.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

This is where discernment and faith play it's role in the plan of God.

Now it is true, that some may waste the talent, imparted unto them, for so it is written, of the words of Christ, but remember some will return with the same, some tenfold, and some even an hundredfold or more, as it is written, of the word of Jesus Christ, so judge for yourself wisely, is there wisdom, in following the instructions given, of the Spirit of truth, even Jesus Christ?

I trust there is.♡

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Let Bro. Jones, from his experience, relay if it was foolishness or not.

He has had experience with 2 homes and 2 families.

I do not feel he would be coming here and asking again, if there was not good done, with the first 2 homes, especially since his own money and time and efforts, forum members, and those of his whole ward at times, helped make it happen.♡

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

Robin Hood wrote:
BroJones wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:
Seriously, it wouldn't.

So how does this work?

Thanks for asking.
I don't agree with this at all.
This woman is given a free house, paid for by us, but is under no obligation to live in it?
She could sell it and walk away with the money any time she likes.

It would be much better for us to form a consortium, buy the house, and charge her a manageable rent based on her circumstances. The rent payments then accrue and can be used towards the next house purchase, and so on.
This would be a not-for-profit arrangement aimed at providing as many low cost homes for needy people as possible. A kind of perpetual accommodation fund.

Should the tenants circumstances change over time she could purchase the home from us at a substantial discount (perhaps 50%), or have her monthly rent converted into interest free payments.
Robin as a corporate lawyer I understand your concern but I think you are wrong . The gospel requires us to impart one to another DC 88:132. The Savior admonished us to " give to him that asketh thee ".3Nephi 12:42. While it flys in the face of traditional wisdom to simply give people something w/o insuring that they will use it wisely the way I read the gospel imperative it is to help those in need even if we don't think they are deserving or even if we may think there is a risk that they will abuse the gift.Mosiah 4 16-24. I for one am with Bro Jones and Robert on this one.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Robin Hood
There are many different ways to do this. Since Bro Jones and Robert are the leaders or starters of this, and have done it before, their way is the way to go.
Your idea of a perpetual giving program is a good one.
If that could be done, perhaps you could start and lead it.
But this one is to be along the lines that Bro Jones and Robert have actually done before.
I think you could trust their judgment on it.
I think Robert will emphathize to you it's optioonal to you to contribute. And if you can, you may want to.
dc

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

boo wrote: Robin as a corporate lawyer I understand your concern but I think you are wrong . The gospel requires us to impart one to another DC 88:132. The Savior admonished us to " give to him that asketh thee ".3Nephi 12:42. While it flys in the face of traditional wisdom to simply give people something w/o insuring that they will use it wisely the way I read the gospel imperative it is to help those in need even if we don't think they are deserving or even if we may think there is a risk that they will abuse the gift.Mosiah 4 16-24. I for one am with Bro Jones and Robert on this one.
Or, to paraphrase:
It is better to feed ten impostors than to run the risk of turning away one honest petition.

- Joseph Smith

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Just so people know, this is Bro. Jones idea he had from the start, how very inexpensive some of these homes are, in this area near Adam-Ondi-Ahman. It costs between $20,000.00 - $25,000.00 just for all the permits and inspections, school and park fees, ect., before you even start building homes in our area, and I hear the costs are high in areas of Utah and other states, just to pull permits to get started as well. So to get an entire home for $15,500.00 is well worth the combined effort to house a family in need, as has already been done twice. Possibly Bro. Jones, could post some pictures, of the two homes gifted, and pictures of the home yet to be if forum members will help do this again, so other new members to the forum, can see what has been done already.

I tell you if the church council on tithes, ever decides to start doing this as required by the celestial law of God, for it's poor and needy members, I will probly fall upon my knees, and openly weep, that mine eyes got to see, the beginning of the redemption of Zion upon this earth, while, I was yet alive.♡

I hope people will open their hand wide, to help Bro. Jones, get this done again.♡

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

iWriteStuff wrote:
boo wrote: Robin as a corporate lawyer I understand your concern but I think you are wrong . The gospel requires us to impart one to another DC 88:132. The Savior admonished us to " give to him that asketh thee ".3Nephi 12:42. While it flys in the face of traditional wisdom to simply give people something w/o insuring that they will use it wisely the way I read the gospel imperative it is to help those in need even if we don't think they are deserving or even if we may think there is a risk that they will abuse the gift.Mosiah 4 16-24. I for one am with Bro Jones and Robert on this one.
Or, to paraphrase:
It is better to feed ten impostors than to run the risk of turning away one honest petition.

- Joseph Smith
Great quote . Well worth repeating . So I just did

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I guess I'm just a bit of a cynic these days.
I currently administer welfare funds in the church.
Unfortunately it has become apparent that some members are dishonest in their claims of poverty and try to pull the wool over my eyes in an attempt to obtain funds and support from the church. I have discovered this on a number of occasions recently, and have now significantly tightened things up.

I don't believe it is right to simply gift real estate to someone without requiring a stewardship of some kind from them.

Desert Roses
captain of 1,000

Post by Desert Roses »

Read Hugh Nibley's wonderful book, Approaching Zion. Found on the internet at the Neal A. Maxwell Institute.
http://publications.mi.byu.edu/book/approaching-zion/

It's got some eye-opening discussion of what the Lord expects of us as His children and stewards of His property--not ours!

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Is not the stewardship then between them and God?

They have been given, and should know, even as was done unto them, because Jesus Christ said to do, they should seek diligently to when in a position, to so help others, so do, some with the same if that is the talent God has given unto them, and others up to an hundredfold or more if so blessed of God, and grateful to have such blessings bestowed upon them.♡

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

OK - just got a response from Sister Kimberly -

Quote:
Thank you so much for your time and effort Steve!
..Sadly, I am going to have to decline. My oldest daughter must stay in Utah with the baby. I have got to stay around to help her out, there is just no other way. I am going to have to turn down this wonderful offer. I hope with all of my heart that a deserving family will be able to get a home there.

You have a BIG heart and are a kind and caring man. Thank you for remembering me, I am touched. For now, I am bound to Utah living and ok with that, I will make due.
Sincerely,
Kimberly

And so a chapter closes, and we remain friends.