Going on a mission

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Obrien
Up, up and away.

Re: Going on a mission

Post by Obrien »

Robin Hood wrote:
BroJones wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:
Robert Sinclair wrote:Yes, he is serious.♡
That wouldn't buy a parking space here.
Seriously, it wouldn't.

So how does this work?
I may have £600 spare (which I think is around $900 or so - the value of Sterling has fallen recently because of the uncertainty surrounding the upcoming EU referendum).
Who would hold the title to the house?
Who would be responsible for taxes etc?

The title would go directly to the single mother (in this case - just as the last time we did this a year ago), and she would be responsible for taxes thereafter.
We found with the last house that since the initial price was so low, that taxes were low also. It has worked out wonderfully for the previous purchase - the sister and her two children are VERY active and great contributors to our small branch. (Small in numbers, but large in geographical size - this is a rural area in northwest Missouri.)

Thanks for asking.
I don't agree with this at all.
This woman is given a free house, paid for by us, but is under no obligation to live in it?
She could sell it and walk away with the money any time she likes.

It would be much better for us to form a consortium, buy the house, and charge her a manageable rent based on her circumstances. The rent payments then accrue and can be used towards the next house purchase, and so on.
This would be a not-for-profit arrangement aimed at providing as many low cost homes for needy people as possible. A kind of perpetual accommodation fund.

Should the tenants circumstances change over time she could purchase the home from us at a substantial discount (perhaps 50%), or have her monthly rent converted into interest free payments
RH - Gamaliel's wisdom should be invoked here. If you think it's foolishness, keep your treasure and go in peace. Don't snipe and gainsay those trying to act according to their own freewill to help another.

Steve - I'm in. You can guess-timate an amount, based on our previous interactions. God bless you, for opening a simple avenue for schmucks like me to help someone in need. I hope you enjoy your mission.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

Bro Jones,
Used http://www.zillow.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to look in Morristown New Jersey, to see if you could possibly continue to find inexpensive housing for the poor where you are going. Saw just for a tiny 700 sq. ft. condo, was well over $200,000.00. Really going to miss, seeing you come on here with complete homes with yards, a few bedrooms and bath for well under $16,000.00. ♡

kathedralegs
captain of 100

Post by kathedralegs »

Best wishes Dr. Jones as you and your sweetheart embark on your mission. My son served in the Morristown New Jersey Spanish speaking mission around 2002-2003. He spent most of his time tracting in the projects across the river from New York City. Had some hair raising experiences but met a ton of wonderful people from many different countries. Crazy cold there in the winter and when the wind picks up with the cold.....look out. I am sure you will love every moment!

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Good luck in New Jersey. I'm sure the mission will glad to have you guys.

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

Yes God bless you to be a leaven. Having lived in NJ I can tell you you are needed

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Thanks for replies - I'm just now catching up.

Note that the two families that WE bought homes for, are still in those homes, and enjoying them! They're serving BIG-time in the branch here also.

On Monday March 28th, my wife Lezlee and I enter the MTC in Provo to begin our mission.

Our mission President has told us that we are specifically called to serve in the inner city of East Orange, which is about 3 miles from Newark, NJ, and roughly 25 miles or less from New York City... (sighing here) We will be living in the "inner city" and serving there.

This has required some faith in the Lord on our part. Recently, Lezlee and I have been re-reading/listening to the Book of Mormon. We had just listened to the part where the sons of Mosiah traveled (as you will recall) to the dangerous lands of the Lamanites - lived and preached among them, and the LORD gave them success!

Wednesday morning, Lezlee and I were serving in the Nauvoo Temple (after a trip where we saw our daughters and their families, and bid them farewell for a year). It was wonderful as always there. I prayed, and the Lord graciously gave me the inspiring comfort that the New Jersey mission would help prepare me for a yet greater service in the Far West Stake (where our home is) on my return (!)

Just to know the Lord cares for us is a great comfort. Inner me has had problems with anxiety over the years, and the Lord is helping me overcome these anxious tendencies. I prayed a few months ago for additional help to overcome anxiety... then shortly after that, learned that we would serve in "inner city" in New Jersey! The Lord is a wonderful teacher, and he wants us to LEARN.

Last evening, Lezlee and I ate dinner at Poppa's restaurant in our home town in Missouri with branch members Ken and Lorna and Sharon – whom we had invited to dinner. It was awesome. We were speaking highly of folks in the Branch – imo, we in the branch need to do more of this, speaking highly of each other 'behind our backs' – but with positive reinforcement!

After the meal, we saw a group of AoA missionaries who had toured Albany and the area – they will be serving in the Albany branch!

Surprise! One of the couples is Elder and Sister Cox – we knew them when we lived in Sanpete County, Utah! They live in Manti, and Laura (oops... Sister Cox) said that the Stake President had called them to serve in AoA. Elder Cox is an expert on heavy equipment (and repairs) and she said that's why they were called into service at AoA.

(hmmmm... why will they need heavy equipment at Adam-ondi-Ahman at this time? I ask?)

Meanwhile, Sister Cox is expert in use of essential oils... and a good friend of Lezlee and me. And they'll be serving for EIGHTEEN months! So we'll overlap when we return from our mission to inner-city NJ in about a year! Great stuff...

Then the Relief Society President came up also – she was at the restaurant with the sister missionaries... She hugged Lezlee. Then I offered a hand-shake, which she did. The owner is LDS, and as I paid, I said - “Looks like its Mormon night at Poppa's Restaurant!” ) She laughed.

Oh, I asked Elder Cox if he could find out how extensive the water-supply and the sewer systems are, at AoA... He said he would find out. Cool...

So, just what does the Lord have in store for Lezlee and me in the inner-city Newark area? We'll find out! Total immersion in the work.

Lezlee has been modeling various outfits for me – are they OK for the mission? Obviously I'm no expert, but I'm glad to help – and so glad she is getting “into” this mission! She was prepping to go on a mission at age about 22 when I interrupted her plans by asking her to marry me! I checked with our Stake President first; he said that would be OK – great! He was a wonderful man, President Brady. My, we've had some AWESOME stake presidents throughout the years!

We'll be set-apart by President Call (he's awesome too!) tomorrow, Sunday. The RS Pres. says we should ask for a sons-of-Mosiah type of blessing for protection... That's such a good idea!

PS – a second mission is alluded to in my Patriarchal Blessing. Its something the Lord has had planned for a long time. I'm so glad he is mindful of me... and Lezlee.

Oh- and you, too!

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Hope you will both stay safe. If you come across a member and returned missionary from New York, Bob Britt, please let me know.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

I feel you will "do good" where ever you go, and where ever you are, and be a blessing to all those around you.
It will be a wonderful topic to bring up, from time to time, your experience in being able to impart entire homes free and clear, as inspired to so do. It was truly an experience in faith, for all who participated, trusting it could happen, led by your good desire, to bring again Zion. So glad and happy, to have been able to be a part, thanks to your efforts. Thankful also, the two families, are serving others, and doing well.♡

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

I was/ am like you, with anxiety, etc. In the first city in my mission, all the missionaries were talking about how evil and wicked one city was, especially the inner part. Except for one missionary, who liked it. My next call: inner city, that city! I almost wet my pants. Anxiety? Oh yes, and plenty of it!

Even with all the problems, it turned out to be my favorite city. And the one where we probably did the most good, and had the most baptisms.

I hope you have a similar experience. :)

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

I/we hope so too - thanks, JohnnyL.

Yesterday in our branch, the brothers and sisters were so warm and uplifting (well, almost all of them). Jesus has taught me to be charitable (agapae) even when someone is having a hard day and scowls at me, which happens.

And the youth were awesome. Makes me want to return following our mission!

The branch presidency counselors were particularly smiley and uplifting, and the Relief Society President with her warm smile as always and big handshake. A dear friend (Ken) finally received the priesthood - something I had worked towards while I was HP group leader. Then Ken came also to the stake meeting last evening - and seemed so happy to be there as I talked to him again.

The Stake President blessed us with a "spirit of discernment" and "wisdom" to choose which "roads and neighborhoods" to enter, and which to avoid. And that angels would protect us, and we were to make record of such events. The blessing promised that my wife and I would draw yet closer together through this experience, and that I would "teach" particularly "priesthood leaders" on my mission, and have yet increased "charity".

He said he felt impressed to bless me with "courage and boldness" yet coupled with "humility", which I deeply appreciate.

I just so much appreciate these priesthood blessings!

The blessing included several issues that had been on our minds - including his mention of "Jesus of Nazareth" which is significant to Lezlee and me, something we have discussed in the last few days! How could he know?

BrotherOfMahonri
captain of 1,000

Post by BrotherOfMahonri »

Speaking to the title of this thread - going on a mission. I will pray you do not get stuck in some position where you are to buy and sell the mission cars and see to all the non-spiritual aspects of a mission... No purse or script I guess - or that has changed some since then.

I wonder as well if the Lord saw fit to get you out of MO during some interesting times to come in the next couple of years in this country... Any thoughts you want to share on the matter?

I know you will serve where called, and do as asked, but just having two in laws come home after being the car tzars - let's just say their "mission" was a mission of mostly baptizing autos it seems - coming home with smiles that hide the truths of the time they spent away from family who really maybe could have been more blessed by their staying home but oh well, converts made by cars bought and sold I guess.

On the flip side, what a better "mission" you have already been serving then that of facilitating donations to have no poor in Zion per say... If you didn't realize, you are already serving full time missions in so many ways. I hope this type of full time LDS mission is not a distraction from the other missions it seems you are already serving daily.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

I'm sure you're not letting the negative nellies slow you down any, Doc. It doesn't matter what the assignment- watching over missionary transportation or paying the rent and utilities of those who've been called and set apart to be servants of Him, it's all important.

31 And their charge shall be the ark, and the table, and the candlestick, and the altars, and the vessels of the sanctuary wherewith they minister, and the hanging, and all the service thereof.

What seems as small non important jobs are actually quite important in moving forth the work of the LORD in effective ways. I'm sure the guy who knocks the car czar would knock the guy in charge of the "candlestick" as a meanial task only worth mentioning as a waste of time. The blindness of the blind is ever apparent.

Thanks to you and Lezlee for answering the call to serve, even while those in the spacious building mock while not even realizing they do it.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Our mission involves a great contact with members of the East Orange Branch (inner city, a few miles from Newark, NJ) as well as with missionaries. Looks like we will also be doing "office work" a day or perhaps two per week - but even that involves contact with people!

Sometime I'll post here how my Patriarchal Blessing has given reassurance regarding a "SECOND MISSION"...

For now - I'd like to ask -- what COMMUNICATION CHANNEL(S) can be set up to facilitate TWO-way communications between branch members, especially when poverty is the rule? I'll find out how many have access to Internet - lets assume they do one way or another.

But I sense a STRONG need to establish such some sort of fairly-rapid communications NETWORK.
A bit hidden from "Public view" would be helpful.

Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance!
(Elder Jones/New Jersey East Orange)

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

BroJones wrote:Our mission involves a great contact with members of the East Orange Branch (inner city, a few miles from Newark, NJ) as well as with missionaries. Looks like we will also be doing "office work" a day or perhaps two per week - but even that involves contact with people!

Sometime I'll post here how my Patriarchal Blessing has given reassurance regarding a "SECOND MISSION"...

For now - I'd like to ask -- what COMMUNICATION CHANNEL(S) can be set up to facilitate TWO-way communications between branch members, especially when poverty is the rule? I'll find out how many have access to Internet - lets assume they do one way or another.

But I sense a STRONG need to establish such some sort of fairly-rapid communications NETWORK.
A bit hidden from "Public view" would be helpful.

Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance!
(Elder Jones/New Jersey East Orange)
Most should have a free phone ("Obamaphone") that can be used. If not, you could help them sign up for phones. Texting would work best in this situation. Some phone services have texting online, too.

The easiest might be what everyone is using already (maybe for some other purpose).

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Thanks, JohnnL - cell phones seem to be the 2nd best way to communicate around here (where many lack wifi and computers)...
1st is person-to-person communications!

Earlier, what my patriarchal blessing says about a "2nd mission" was discussed, and my sense of mission to do accordingly. (recall: to help them prepare for the 2nd coming and events leading up to that great event; to help them prepare for "times of trouble and trial".) Prayer and temple visits confirmed that I should teach here along those lines - but how to bring this in, in this Branch?

Praying about HOW - I came across the Articles of Faith - posted in the Branch building! Aha! AF #10 is just what is needed (in context of 1 through 13)!

So Saturday I spoke to the Mission President about my desire to teach the members (and investigators) here the Articles of Faith (AF) - and he thought that was a GREAT idea! and added that he liked books on AF by Elders Talmage and McConkie. So I have ordered those books, and will begin teaching right away... But what setting?

Well, there is a "scripture study" for one thing, in the branch on Wednesday evenings - and I'm asked to teach this class! So Sunday I talked to the Branch President about teaching the AF there - and HE also was enthusiastic about this idea!

Supported also by Sister Jones!

So here we go...

Quote:
1 We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2 We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4 We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Note: this is the "Doctrine of Christ", adding "enduring to the end." See 2 Nephi 31 for example.

5 We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7 We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10 We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

QUESTION: Do you know where the Temple of the New Jerusalem will be built? And can you recite right now what D&C 133 says about the return of the Ten Tribes?

11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Joseph Smith.
27 Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

BroJones wrote:
QUESTION: Do you know where the Temple of the New Jerusalem will be built?
See Revelation chapter 21 and read down to verse 22, and therein is your answer.

:)

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Yes - and Ether, D&C 57, 58, and so on. We'll return to this question with Articles of Faith 10.

I haven't forgotten you guys - just so busy out here! I see why the Brethren ask for more Senior Couple Missionaries... lots to do. And there is a sense of closeness to the Lord -and of progress. Sister Jones and I have duties in 3 areas:

1. Branch - member and leadership support (MLS)
2. Missionaries - we have them to our apartment twice a week, once for mtg with the branch miss. leader and the other with investigator(s)
3. Office - almost like a day job, working with mission vehicles and accidents - that's a surprisingly big job -- mostly - Sister Jones works with referrals etc. and it keeps her busy!

I'm teaching quite a bit -- and that's the part I love the most right now.

Yesterday evening at scripture study, I had prepared Power Point slides on the 1st Article of Faith.
It went well overall, but TWO really had a hard time with Heavenly Father having a tangible body... (yikes!), and one seemed to be clinging to the idea of the Trinity...

I really felt the need to go through the Articles of Faith... and trying to do a good job. I have the books by Elders McConkie and Talmage on the AF.

I have these slides as PDF - does anyone know how to give YOU ALL access to this PDF, about 3 MB?
I think some would be interested as we proceed along.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

About God... Most members have problems understanding which God is which in the scriptures.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Last evening, we met at the East Orange Branch bldg for FHE (mostly for singles in the branch). As the planned-for teacher was unable to come, we discussed the topic given in LDS-Daily - which was about preparedness. (We made two trips between us, to bring car-less people to our meeting. They love to get together and to COMMUNICATE and show love to each other!)

Preparedness is so important to us, especially in this inner-city area - I feel that very strongly. We quoted from Pres. Hinckley and Pres Monson about preparing - Pres. Hinckley emphasized building up to a 3-month supply, for example. Sister Jones found the Church's pamphlet "All is safely gathered in," for the discussion.

Last Sunday, as I led the music - a calling in the branch I have rec'd -- we sang "Redeemer of Israel." I was moved to tears as I looked over the (mostly non-white) congregation and we sang "we know He is coming to gather His sheep, and lead them to ZION IN LOVE!" That is just how I feel, He WILL do this!

Sister Jones and I study about LOVE and its counterfeits each day - we are making such progress in our personal lives as well as reaching out to help others!

Today we visit with the young Elders and Sisters in their meetings... and have a dinner with some of them in our apartment. Tomorrow I teach EO Branch members regarding the Atonement - what a sacred subject! Based on Articles of Faith 2 and 3.

"As Elder Whitney felt regarding this majestic gift and the giver of it, may we so feel: “I was so moved at the [gift] that I wept … out of pure sympathy. My whole heart went out to Him. I loved Him with all my soul and longed to be with Him as I longed for nothing else.” Having already offered the Atonement in our behalf, Christ has done His part to make that longing a reality. The rest will depend entirely upon ourselves." - Elder Holland, March 2008 Ensign.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Sister F (who used to be Muslim) did indeed come back to the fold last evening - and we had a wonderful scripture study class at church, well attended also. We discussed Articles of Faith 7 and 8 - excellent discussion! I used the scriptures and the Gospel Principles manual (which is very good re: gifts of the Spirit).

Today we go to the NYC Manhattan Temple again - another Temple trip!
Here's the letter I sent out earlier this week via email to numerous branch members (who hold or have held a Temple Recommend):
Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Please feel free to share this invitation with anyone who might be interested in joining us for Temple Trips to the New York City/Manhattan Temple.

We are planning to attend the 11:00 am session on the following days;
Thursday 9 June 2016 (there is a baptism on Saturday following)
Thursday 16 June (there is a missionary activity on Saturday following)
Saturday 2 July.
(Further temple trips after that will be announced later.)

We invite you to join us, and Brother Jones will be happy to pay the NYCity subway fare for anyone going with us to the temple, to and from Penn-Station. You may choose to do an endowment session, or some other service as you wish.

For the Thursday trips, Sister Jones and I will be at the Newark LDS chapel on Orange St. at 8:55 am - so you may join us there. Or if you want a ride to Newark please call us at 801 735-5885, and we will see what we can do! Of course, if you are at our apartment at 111 Glenwood Ave, EO, at 8:30 am, we can gladly give you a ride to the Newark LDS chapel from there.

The LDS-Newark chapel parking lot is safe (we believe) and available for LDS parking. We will walk to the Newark Broad St. train station from there, about a 12 minute walk.
Then we will catch the NJ Transit train at 9:21 am which will arrive at Penn Station in NYCity at about 9:42. (Note that this same train leaves from the Brick Church Station in EOrange at 9:16 am, but the cost is LESS from the Newark station and the parking seems a lot better.)

Each person should get round-trip tickets for this train ride to and from Penn Station. Don't worry about the subway - Elder Jones will lead you to the right spot and pay for entry to the subway once we arrive together at Penn Station. If you are going to Penn Station earlier, please be sure to give us a phone call so we can make arrangements to meet up with you at Penn Station - it is a BIG place!

We should return on the 3:22pm train from Penn Station, arriving at Newark Broad St. at 3:39pm. Sometimes we can catch the earlier train at 2:35pm from Penn Station.

Subways go from Penn station to Lincoln Center (66th street in NYCity) about every 7 minutes, so they are not a problem really. Lincoln Center is just across the street from the Temple, an easy walk from the subway exit to the temple.

On Saturday, the departure from Newark Broad St. is at 9:16 am (arrives at Penn Station at 9:40) and return is at 2:11 pm or (more likely for us) at 3:11pm, arriving back in Newark at about 3:31pm.

We hope you join us for some WONDERFUL trips to the Lord's Temple! If you have any questions - please send email (or text via phone) to either of us, or ask us at Church.

Our sincere LOVE to you all,

Elder and Sister Jones

PS - You all are also invited to attend our Scripture Study class each Wednesday evening at 6:30pm at our church on Fair Street. The class is being taught by Elder Jones and our topic this evening is -- Articles of Faith 7 and 8.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Sure looks like you've gotten a pretty good grasp on the travel/ are situation there!

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Thank you for the update Steve...wondered how things were going...all is well!

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Miss you, Steve.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Thanks, Marc.

Yesterday at the NYCity Temple, I opened the scriptures as I often do (at "random") and the page opened to Helamen 6 (end) + start of Helaman 7. About Gadiantons achieving "sole management of the government" and seeking to hold onto their power. Yep.

So I opened again at "random" - and this time the page opened to D&C 38, warnings about thoughts of leaders "in secret chambers" and about preparing. Yep, basically the same theme as Hel 6/7. Note also the Lord's promised gathering at the end of 38.

Just sent this to family:

OK - this seems to be working. I've shed about 7 pounds since arriving here.
1 - I'm drinking WHEY supplement (takes so good, too!) . See Dr Mercola comments below. I like to put Vitacost Whey into Unsweetened Silk Coconut Milk - tastes great!

2 - Smaller meals, I noticed I get hungry about every 3.5 hours, whether I eat more or less at a given meal. So I choose to eat less when I sit down. Half or 3/4 of a sandwich rather than a whole one (generally). About 45 minutes later, I could drink water or whey mix.

3- Exercising. I enjoy sitting in a good folding chair then lifting 20 pounds in each hand. Slow reps till I "feel the burn". Also, planking (like Becky taught me) till my abs feel the burn.

4- Fast Sunday seems to help a lot, too - seems I lose about a pound, weighing the next day. I like that. Eat a regular-size (smallish) meal when ending a fast - and drink lots of water!
Love, Dad

By Dr. Mercola

Whey protein, a byproduct of milk and cheese (often referred to as the gold standard of protein), was promoted for its health benefits as early as 420 B.C. At that time, Hippocrates recommended whey to his patients. These days, whey protein has been linked to health benefits such as:

Supporting your immune system, as it contains immunoglobulins
Helping you preserve lean body tissue (particularly during exercise) as it delivers bioavailable amino acids and cysteine
Maintaining blood pressure levels that are already within the normal range, and promoting healthy vascular function1
Whey Protein Promotes Weight Loss and Muscle Gain

Besides providing all of the essential amino acids your body needs, high-quality whey protein from organically raised pastured cows also contains three ingredients of particular importance for health: leucine, glutathione and conjugated linoleic acid (CLA).

Both leucine and CLA can be helpful if you're trying to lose weight, while glutathione boosts your overall health by protecting your cells and mitochondria from oxidative and peroxidative damage.

While many recommend whey protein as a way of boosting your protein intake, I'd be wary of following a high-protein diet for weight loss.

It's true that protein helps decrease hunger by making you feel fuller longer, and by affecting certain hormones (increasing certain appetite-reducing hormones while reducing the hunger hormone ghrelin).

Protein can also give your metabolism a boost, and a number of studies suggest high-protein diets produce greater weight loss.2,3 But there's also compelling evidence suggesting too much protein may promote cancer growth by activating the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) mechanism.

Beware of High-Protein Diets

Rarely, if ever, do studies compare high-protein/high-carb/low-fat diets to high-fat/low-carb/moderate-protein diets. If they did, we might have more clarity on this issue. For example, in one study4 they compared the following diets:

15 percent protein, 35 percent fat, and 50 percent carbohydrate
30 percent protein, 20 percent fat, and 50 percent carbohydrate
They found the 30 percent protein group lost 8.1 pounds (lbs., or 3.7 kilograms) more than those who got 15 percent of their calories from protein. However, both of these diets are FAR from ideal in terms of nutrient ratios! Both are excessively high in carbohydrates and very low in fat.

I'll discuss protein requirements below, but suffice to say for now, that while your body does need protein, and whey protein is an ideal workout supplement to boost muscle growth and repair, it's important to track your protein intake from all sources, and don't overdo it.

Thirty percent protein is three times the amount your body needs for optimal health. So whether it's weight loss or general health and longevity you're after, avoid high-protein diets and focus on increasing healthy fats and cutting out net (non-fiber) carbs instead, while maintaining a balanced, moderate protein intake calculated according to your body composition, which I'll explain below.

Leucine — A Powerful Muscle Builder

Let's take a look at those three ingredients that make whey protein such an attractive addition to your diet and fitness regimen, starting with leucine. While serving many functions in your body, leucine signals the mTOR mechanism to increase protein synthesis, thereby boosting muscle growth.

However you actually need VERY HIGH amounts of leucine to reap the optimal effect; far more than the recommended daily allowance (RDA), because most of the leucine gets used up as a building block rather than a potent anabolic stimulus.

Whey protein is ideal because it contains FAR more leucine than other foods. Just 3 ounces (oz.) of high-quality whey contains about 8 grams of leucine. To get that from other foods, you'd have to eat 1.5 lbs. of chicken, more than 1 lb. of almonds (over 3,000 calories!) or 16 raw eggs.

Glutathione Helps Other Antioxidants Perform at Peak Levels

Whey protein is also an excellent source of the precursors of glutathione, which is your body's most powerful antioxidant. This "master antioxidant" is a tripeptide found inside every single cell in your body. As you probably know,antioxidants are crucial for eliminating damaging free radicals from your body.

Most free radicals are produced during the process of metabolism but they can also arise from exposure to toxins, radiation and heavy metals. Because free radicals are so destructive, cells have a network of defenses designed to neutralize them.

This antioxidant network involves vitamins, minerals and special chemicals called thiols (glutathione and alpha-lipoic acid). Glutathione is different from other antioxidants in that it is intracellular.

It has the unique ability of maximizing the activity of all the other antioxidants, including vitamins C and E, CoQ10, alpha-lipoic acid, and antioxidants found in the fresh veggies and fruits you (hopefully) eat every day.

Glutathione Is Important for Energy Production and Mitochondrial Function

Glutathione is also an essential factor in energy utilization, detoxification, and preventing the diseases we associate with aging, in large part by promoting healthy mitochondrial function. Deficiency has been linked to:

Age-related diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's
Coronary and autoimmune diseases
Arthritis, asthma and other inflammatory conditions
Cancer
Muscle weakness and fatigue
Synthesis of glutathione is dependent on adenosine triphosphate (ATP), so when your ATP is low, you'll also have lower glutathione levels. This is another reason why exercise is so beneficial for your health — among other things, it boosts your ATP and glutathione levels. And by enhancing internal glutathione production, you'll also strengthen your immune system.

Whey Protein Boosts Glutathione Production

While glutathione can be found in supplement form, foods like whey are your best alternative. Quality whey providesall the key amino acids for glutathione production (cysteine, glycine and glutamate) and contains a unique cysteine residue (glutamylcysteine) that is highly bioactive in its affinity for converting to glutathione.

Whey also provides critical co-factors, immunoglobulins, lactoferrin and alpha-Lactalbumin (also a great source of cysteine), which together help create the right metabolic environment for high glutathione activity.

Most oral glutathione supplements have been shown to be poorly absorbed. What's worse, glutathione supplements may actually interfere with your body's own glutathione production. Your body is programmed to self-produce glutathione, and when taking a synthetic supplement your body decreases its own production, leaving you dependent on an outside source.

Another alternative is to take an alpha-lipoic acid supplement, which can help regenerate glutathione. (Alpha-lipoic acid also helps to regenerate vitamins C and E so they remain active longer in your body.) Red meat and organ meats are the best dietary source of alpha-lipoic acid. Vitamin D can also help increase your intracellular glutathione levels.

Some nutritional authorities recommend taking a form of cysteine known as N-acetyl cysteine (NAC), but I would advise against using this supplement if you still have mercury amalgam fillings because it could interfere with detoxification of the mercury.

CLA Has Many Health Benefits, Including Weight Loss

Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) — a healthy type of omega-6 fatty acid found primarily in grass-fed beef and dairy products — is one of the most popular weight loss supplements in the world. Research shows CLA can help you shed weight via a number of different mechanisms, including:5,6,7,8,9

Reducing food intake
Increasing fat burning
Stimulating the breakdown of body fat
Inhibiting the production of body fat while preserving muscle (with the greatest improvements occurring in those who combine exercise with dietary intake of CLA)10
The key factor here is pasture-raised. When cows exclusively eat grass (which is their natural diet), the CLA levels in their meat and milk are typically 300 to 500 percent higher than in those fed an unnatural grain-based diet. CLA is available in supplement form, but foods that naturally contain CLA are generally far superior, easy to find and less expensive. Even more importantly, as noted by Authority Nutrition:11

"[T]he CLA you find in supplements is NOT derived from natural foods. It is made by chemically altering safflower and sunflower oils, which are unhealthy vegetable oils. The linoleic acid in the oils is turned into conjugated linoleic acid via a chemical process ... For this reason, CLA taken in supplement form does not have the same health effects as CLA gotten from foods."

Besides its weight loss benefits, CLA also has a number of other health benefits. For example, studies have shown CLA to be a potent ally for combating:

Cancer
Osteoporosis
Immune system invaders
High blood pressure
Cardiovascular disease
Food-induced allergic reactions
High cholesterol and triglycerides
Inflammation
Insulin resistance (CLA's actions actually mimic the effect of synthetic diabetic drugs)
How Much Protein Do You Need?

Proteins are essential to the building, maintenance and repair of tissues such as your skin, internal organs and muscles. They are also a structural component of enzymes, cellular receptors and signaling molecules, and perform transport carrier functions.

Proteins are made up of amino acids, 22 of which are considered essential for good health. (The amino acid components of proteins serve as precursors for hormones and vitamins.) Your body can make 14 of these, but the other eight, known as essential amino acids, must be obtained from your diet.

Proteins are found in all types of food, but only meat, eggs, cheese and other foods from animal sources contain complete proteins, meaning they provide the eight essential amino acids.

However, opinions vary when it comes to how much protein you need on a daily basis. With advancing age, getting adequate amounts of high-quality protein is especially important. Your ability to process protein declines with age while your level of age-related muscle loss (sarcopenia) increases, thereby raising your protein requirement. That said, you'd be wise to monitor your intake to make sure you're not overdoing it.

Americans consume the most meat per capita in the world — more than 175 lbs. of pork, poultry, and beef per year, and evidence suggests this is far too much for optimal health. There is an upper limit to how much protein your body can actually use. When you eat more protein than your body needs, it can stimulate mTOR, which plays an important role in cancer development and the aging process.

Making matters worse, the vast majority of this meat comes from animals raised in concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs), the quality of which is significantly inferior to organically raised, pastured, or grass-fed and grass-finished meats. Considering the fact that the majority of Americans are overweight or obese, I prefer using a formula that calculates an individual's protein requirement based on lean bodyweight (i.e. muscle weight) only.

For optimal health, I believe most adults need about 1 gram of protein per kilogram of lean body mass (not total body weight), or 0.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass. Seniors, pregnant women and those who are aggressively exercising (or competing) generally need about 25 percent more protein.

How to Calculate Your Protein Requirement

To determine your lean body mass, subtract your percent body fat from 100. For example, if you have 30 percent body fat, then you have 70 percent lean body mass. Then multiply that percentage by your current weight to get your lean body mass in pounds or kilos. Next, multiply your lean body weight by 0.5 grams if you're calculating in pounds, or 1 gram if you're calculating in kilos.

To use myself as an example, I weigh 173 lbs. and have 10 percent body fat, which means my lean body weight is just under 156 lbs. Using the above formula, my protein requirement is about 77 grams a day, although I typically don't go over 70 grams as for most of us, it is better to actually have less than more protein. I use a nutrition calculator to enter everything I eat and carefully calculate my protein requirement to the gram. I think it's that important.

If you eat packaged foods, the number of grams of protein per serving is listed on the package. For whole foods, 3 oz. of most meats will provide about 20 to 25 grams of protein. A 4-oz. hamburger, which is processed, has about 20 grams of protein, while typical lunch meats have about 5 grams per slice.

One egg has about 6 grams of protein and a cup of milk (not typically recommended) has about 8 grams. Seeds and nuts contain on average 4 to 8 grams of protein per quarter cup, and most vegetables contain about 1 to 2 grams of protein per ounce.

Interestingly, while fish is typically considered a good source of protein, most fish contain only HALF of the protein found in beef and chicken and can be a good alternative if you tend to eat too much protein. (Just beware of the contamination risks. Wild-caught Alaskan salmon and smaller fish like sardines and anchovies are healthy options less likely to be contaminated with mercury and other environmental toxins.)

Choosing a High-Quality Whey Protein

If you want to supplement your diet with whey protein products, be mindful of your selection. Many of the whey and protein powders on the market are pasteurized and loaded with sugar and chemicals that don't belong in a healthy diet.

Sir
captain of 10

Post by Sir »

Don't mean to spread false rumors or anything, but my brother said missionaries now are only getting called stateside. Can anyone verify that? Does anyone know someone called to a foreign mission lately?