Where did the October Utah Earthquake idea come from?

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
FTC
captain of 100

Re: Where did the October Utah Earthquake idea come from?

Post by FTC »

Now I know I've heard the earthquake prophecy somewheres. Hurm. Let's see. Hmmmmm. Hop in the way back machine and look..... ah-ha! Found it. It was actually me that prophesied about it - NOT HAPPENING!
FTC wrote:Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:17 pm
Since I'm in the prophetic mood, I also prophesy that no discernible earthquakes will happen in Utah for the rest of 2016. Discernible meaning that the earthquake must be reported on Utah television news, NBC, CBS, Fox or ABC, within 24 hours of it happening.
But prophecies like these aren't extravagent nor sensationalized nor grandoise. These prophecies mean that the daily same-old, same-old is gonna keep ticking away. Who would accept an ordinary, much more likely to be fulfilled, far more grounded in reality, prophecy like that?
Does a prophet have no honor even in his own household?? *rending garments*

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

FTC wrote:Now I know I've heard the earthquake prophecy somewheres. Hurm. Let's see. Hmmmmm. Hop in the way back machine and look..... ah-ha! Found it. It was actually me that prophesied about it - NOT HAPPENING!
Since I'm in the prophetic mood, I also prophesy that no discernible earthquakes will happen in Utah for the rest of 2016. Discernible meaning that the earthquake must be reported on Utah television news, NBC, CBS, Fox or ABC, within 24 hours of it happening.
But prophecies like these aren't extravagent nor sensationalized nor grandoise. These prophecies mean that the daily same-old, same-old is gonna keep ticking away. Who would accept an ordinary, much more likely to be fulfilled, far more grounded in reality, prophecy like that?
Well look what mirkwood found: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44242" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FTC aren't you supposed to eat a crow or something now and post it on your avatar? :)

FTC
captain of 100

Post by FTC »

dlbww wrote:
FTC wrote:Now I know I've heard the earthquake prophecy somewheres. Hurm. Let's see. Hmmmmm. Hop in the way back machine and look..... ah-ha! Found it. It was actually me that prophesied about it - NOT HAPPENING!
Well look what mirkwood found: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44242" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FTC aren't you supposed to eat a crow or something now and post it on your avatar? :)
ARGH!!! I know. I know! :-P I heard about it this morning. But didn't feel it. Probably because I was focused on txt'ing while driving on my way into work.
Still!
Still, if it doesn't report on the television news, I might just be able to slide by! :D Otherwise, I'm gonna have to be content with FTC: 7 minus 1. Fine! Have your one. It will probably be a blemish to my prophetic career for years to come. :YMTONGUE:

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

brianj wrote:I don't recall the "certain author who is popular with end-timers and who wrote a book..." ever stating in her two books that the earthquake would happen this fall.
However, I do recall another author, who is less discussed, also claimed a moderate fall earthquake, an invitation to gather the following winter / spring, and a much stronger earthquake shortly after that gathering. This author specifically stated that President Obama would be the last president before the nation is rebuilt, and that he would use the tribulations as an excuse to attempt to suspend the November election because he can't guarantee the results would be "fair." For Obama to use tribulations as an excuse to attempt to suspend elections, the gathering would have to happen in spring of 2016, and the first earthquake would have to happen soon.
The author is Hector Sosa and now that the elections happened, the inauguration is over and we now have President Trump, we can put his 'predictions' in the failed column also.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

Wizard's that peep and mutter....thats where it all comes from...

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

This thread sounds like the part in the Book of Mormon when they doubted Samuel's prophecies... :) until they came true. Seems patience is truly a virtue.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Kitkat wrote:This thread sounds like the part in the Book of Mormon when they doubted Samuel's prophecies... :) until they came true. Seems patience is truly a virtue.
It doesn't sound anything at all like Samuel. Samuel got his prophecy correct. These people missed the mark. They weren't even close. Kinda like Jonathan Cahn. That's the thing with prophecies that include timelines- once the timeline passes without the prophesied event happening, the prophecy is false. It's actually quite easy to understand and grasp, unless pride gets in the way. Lot's of false prophets around. The key is having discernment to see them for what they are. Patience has nothing to do with it.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

JJJJ130 wrote:I am familiar with the first author mentioned, but who is this one? I'm a late-comer to these things.
It's not a problem that you're LATE comer, the problem enters if you "Come" to these discussions at all.

There are three groups of people prophesying to the world at large today:

1) God's ordained prophet. At the moment, that is Thomas S. Monson and the other members of the First Presidency and Quorum of The Twelve.

2) Evil doers, serving the god of this world spreading lies from the father of lies to deceive and distract people.

3) People who weren't hugged enough as a child, so they look for anything they can to fill the emptiness in their souls. Many claim "Dreams" sent to them, some claim they died and were sent back with a "message" for people, some just babble because they like the sound of their own voice and/or get a thrill out of being worshipped and adored.

The solution is simple: Seek for your own signs in prayer, scripture study, and family councils. Attend church meetings to partake of the Sacrament and try to gain what you can from the lessons and talks, fulfill callings as best you can to serve your fellow saints. Share the gospel with those you can, and place faith in God and His organization, not a glory hound or evil-doer.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

shadow wrote:
Kitkat wrote:This thread sounds like the part in the Book of Mormon when they doubted Samuel's prophecies... :) until they came true. Seems patience is truly a virtue.
It doesn't sound anything at all like Samuel. Samuel got his prophecy correct. These people missed the mark. They weren't even close. Kinda like Jonathan Cahn. That's the thing with prophecies that include timelines- once the timeline passes without the prophesied event happening, the prophecy is false. It's actually quite easy to understand and grasp, unless pride gets in the way. Lot's of false prophets around. The key is having discernment to see them for what they are. Patience has nothing to do with it.
As long as you are perpetually waiting for the imminent :D

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

I partially agree with you, partially disagree. Samuel gave a very specific prophecy: exactly five years after he testified either the sign would have been seen or his prophecy would be false.

A few church members claim to have had visions of an autumn earthquake followed by a gathering a few months later and a much bigger earthquake shortly after the gathering happens. If this was all that we had, some people here would gleefully make posts every January calling anybody who expressed a belief in those visions or posted the accounts fools who are listening to Satan. And if this was all we had I would dismiss those naysayers. In the case of Visions of Glory this is all we have, though I don't recall a claim that the first quake happened in the fall.

Unfortunately at least some people went farther than that by making specific statements. Apparently Sosa said that the earthquake would happen last fall. Rowe said that we would see EBT and debit transaction outages on Black Friday, that Trump would be shot, and that Obama would not step down. I recall the first time I came across a reference to Obama (I believe it was from Rowe) I recall wondering if their vision of Obama was literal or if his appearance represented some future President. But that no longer matters: even if Trump or his successor refuses to step down and the next President elect is shot after an electronic transaction outage on Black Friday, the fact that Rowe and Sosa specifically mentioned Obama impeaches their claims. I tend to believe they really saw what they claim to see, and now I firmly believe that at least somethings they saw and described as literal (Obama, for example) were in fact figurative representations.

In time we will have a retrospective knowledge of if what they have said is what our current future holds. Until then I have no problem with the statement that their specific dates and claims regarding Obama and president elect Trump were inaccurate, but I can't confidently say their accounts are true or false at this time.

Spider
captain of 100

Post by Spider »

The difference between Julie Rowe and Spencer and Sosa is Julie claims she is on God's errand in spreading these predictions, whereas the other two were just sharing their story and opinions after being coaxed by authors and publishers. God would not allow Julie to fail in her predictions if she were truly on His errand as she claims. And every specific prediction she has made so far has failed. So, what does that tell you?

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

Calling them "wizards" is quite the stretch.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

I missed the part where Samuel put specific time frames around when his prophesies would occur and then modified them when they didn't happen in those time frames.

Zion2080
captain of 100

Post by Zion2080 »

Spider wrote:The difference between Julie Rowe and Spencer and Sosa is Julie claims she is on God's errand in spreading these predictions, whereas the other two were just sharing their story and opinions after being coaxed by authors and publishers. God would not allow Julie to fail in her predictions if she were truly on His errand as she claims. And every specific prediction she has made so far has failed. So, what does that tell you?

Julie is a false prophet

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Zion2080 wrote:
Spider wrote:The difference between Julie Rowe and Spencer and Sosa is Julie claims she is on God's errand in spreading these predictions, whereas the other two were just sharing their story and opinions after being coaxed by authors and publishers. God would not allow Julie to fail in her predictions if she were truly on His errand as she claims. And every specific prediction she has made so far has failed. So, what does that tell you?

Julie is a false prophet
As is Sosa.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Spider wrote:The difference between Julie Rowe and Spencer and Sosa is ...
The difference is that one is named Rowe, one is named Sosa, and one is named Spencer. Apart from that, there's little difference in the value of their messages, each has a slightly different proposal to lead you to the same place: Apostasy.

Hivetyrant36
captain of 100

Post by Hivetyrant36 »

I had actually come up with my own theory about October, but only because I was unknowingly being coaxed into it. The whole community pretty much seems to latch onto any prediction and retell it as truth. I made the guess because I hate this life and want to die, and my own personal economy has been at 0 for over 2 years.

evejaa
captain of 50

Post by evejaa »

Hivetyrant36 wrote: January 31st, 2017, 10:07 pm I had actually come up with my own theory about October, but only because I was unknowingly being coaxed into it. The whole community pretty much seems to latch onto any prediction and retell it as truth. I made the guess because I hate this life and want to die, and my own personal economy has been at 0 for over 2 years.
Wow Hivetyrant36, I feel for you. I hope you can find some joy in this life. Life can be difficult for many of us. But if you make even the smallest effort to help someone else, you will and can feel JOY! Joy equals having and keeping an eternal perspective. Let God's eternal plan work for you. I send you my true heartfelt love.