LDS Church pushes back at spurious claims of imminent apocalypse.

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
The ward heretic
captain of 100

Re: LDS Church pushes back at spurious claims of imminent apocalypse.

Post by The ward heretic »

In my opinion, JR isn't necessarily leading people away from, or towards the truth. She is quite irrelevant outside of the preppers movement; specifically the LDS prepper movement.

Even though I don't feel it's necessarily harmful, it is sad to see so many people defend her absurd books an opinions.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

The ward heretic wrote: Even though I don't feel it's necessarily harmful, it is sad to see so many people defend her absurd books an opinions.
It is also sad to see so many who feel a need to attack her.

The ward heretic
captain of 100

brianj wrote:
The ward heretic wrote: Even though I don't feel it's necessarily harmful, it is sad to see so many people defend her absurd books an opinions.
Who is attacking her?

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

The ward heretic wrote:
brianj wrote:
Who is attacking her?
Just read through the threads and how much people are mocked for saying that Visions of Glory and Julie Rowes book brought them to Christ.
Endless comments like:" I don't know how anybody could believe this apostate garbage" " How gullible these people are, that's what happen when they follow dissenting voices"
" How blind people are for believing a prophecy that didn't come from our living Apostles"

They then quote parables of the 10 virgins and call the Julie Rowe followers the 5 that didn't have oil, they speak of the wheat and the tares and subtly suggest that anybody who believes Julie Rowe is a tare and will be removed etc.

All over the forum.

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

Weren't people who didn't buy JR's stuff being told they were spiritually deficient, in various ways?

Ungläubige
captain of 50

Post by Ungläubige »

Stahura wrote:
The ward heretic wrote:
brianj wrote:
Who is attacking her?
Just read through the threads and how much people are mocked for saying that Visions of Glory and Julie Rowes book brought them to Christ.
Endless comments like:" I don't know how anybody could believe this apostate garbage" " How gullible these people are, that's what happen when they follow dissenting voices"
" How blind people are for believing a prophecy that didn't come from our living Apostles"

They then quote parables of the 10 virgins and call the Julie Rowe followers the 5 that didn't have oil, they speak of the wheat and the tares and subtly suggest that anybody who believes Julie Rowe is a tare and will be removed etc.

All over the forum.
Seriously? I can't find any reference to the JR followers being referred to as the foolish virgins or the tares.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

Read through the thread where there's a discussion on Visions of Glory. It has like 10 pages or something. you'll find comments like that. Look for the threads about Hector Julie Spencer.. The comments are there. You're a brave person if you come on this forum and declare that every one of these people are true prophets. Go ahead and try it. You'll get like a million general conference quotes and you will see these parables being mentioned.

The ward heretic
captain of 100

Stahura wrote:Read through the thread where there's a discussion on Visions of Glory. It has like 10 pages or something. you'll find comments like that. Look for the threads about Hector Julie Spencer.. The comments are there. You're a brave person if you come on this forum and declare that every one of these people are true prophets. Go ahead and try it. You'll get like a million general conference quotes and you will see these parables being mentioned.
I ask honestly. Are people attacking her personality or her as an individual? If so, that's not cool. But if people attack her ideas, I see no problem with that.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

The ward heretic wrote:
Stahura wrote:Read through the thread where there's a discussion on Visions of Glory. It has like 10 pages or something. you'll find comments like that. Look for the threads about Hector Julie Spencer.. The comments are there. You're a brave person if you come on this forum and declare that every one of these people are true prophets. Go ahead and try it. You'll get like a million general conference quotes and you will see these parables being mentioned.
I ask honestly. Are people attacking her personality or her as an individual? If so, that's not cool. But if people attack her ideas, I see no problem with that.
People suggest that she is insane, mentally unstable. They claim that she made this story up just to sell these books and make money off of gullible mormons. Some people have said that she was deceived by Satan etc.

There are people that only attack her ideas.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

jbalm wrote:Weren't people who didn't buy JR's stuff being told they were spiritually deficient, in various ways?
Yes I also have seen this. It goes both ways.

Zowieink
captain of 100

Post by Zowieink »

For me and my house, we will follow the Lord, the prophets (both scriptural and modern-day), and we will take from the Spencer, Victor, and Julie visions, the stuff that is of help in following the Lord and prophets.

This stuff isn't new, its been around for a very long time (just research the scriptures and modern-day prophecies). It may be worded differently in a pre-tech world (of the 19th century to mid-20th century or pre/post-Christ prophecies of the scriptures) as "Catharine" spoke of, but that doesn't diminish the truthfulness of it. As in the thirteenth article of faith "We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."

Take the good, discard the bad, and rely on the spirit for your own individual understanding. For me, these good people have shared something special that happened to them. With the Spirit, we can sift the wheat from that chaff and add to our understanding of what is going to happen and how to further prepare for it, prepare far more than the Church's official recommendations. These events are not cast in stone and are dependent on the righteous (or increased lack of righteousness) of us as individuals and as a people. We choose righteousness as a people, then that changes the game and timelines.
Last edited by Zowieink on September 28th, 2015, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zowieink
captain of 100

Post by Zowieink »

This isn't about if they are "true prophets", its, did they have an experience with the Spirit. I don't recall any "prophecies" only what they perceived/were shown in the spiritual experience. So, why call them a "true" prophet? They never use the term themselves, it is only us that have erroneously called them prophets. They are simply individuals who had spiritual experiences and wish to share them, or were asked to share them by the Spirit. We should be able to take what they have said and use it or discard it. We don't have to base our personal belief system in them personally, because that would be wrong. We certainly can take their message and use it for our personal benefit.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Ungläubige wrote:Seriously? I can't find any reference to the JR followers being referred to as the foolish virgins or the tares.
I found a post in another thread, from this morning, wherein somebody claimed the Great and Spacious building of Lehi's and Nephi's visions will be filled with mostly LDS people, and is worded in such a way as to imply anybody who believes Julie Rowe really had a vision is occupying that building.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

Zowieink wrote:This isn't about if they are "true prophets", its, did they have an experience with the Spirit. I don't recall any "prophecies" only what they perceived/were shown in the spiritual experience. So, why call them a "true" prophet? They never use the term themselves, it is only us that have erroneously called them prophets. They are simply individuals who had spiritual experiences and wish to share them, or were asked to share them by the Spirit. We should be able to take what they have said and use it or discard it. We don't have to base our personal belief system in them personally, because that would be wrong. We certainly can take their message and use it for our personal benefit.
I don't know if they are true prophets. I only say that they COULD be true prophets. Lower case prophet. None of them claimed to receive a commandment of the Lord and caused the church to receive it as a law, they didn't claim to receive new doctrine, they didn't attempt to tell the church that they are commanded to do something, or to go somewhere. Those are the things that only the Anointed Leaders can do.

Now whether the visions and dreams they saw are true, I don't know. Julie Rowe, I don't think they are true because our leaders have said so. Spencer, even he himself doesn't know if the events are literal or symbolic. All i know is that Visions of Glory increased my testimony of my Savior, and increased my testimony of living prophets.

If they claim to have received The Spirit of Truth and a Testimony of Jesus Christ, and prophesy that something will happen, they very well could be real prophets, as long as they don't claim new doctrine or new commandments/laws for the church. It doesn't seem that this is the case with these 3 people.

Spencer only says that whatever his visions mean, he was supposed to share them. And he apparently had a living Apostle as one of his best friends who counseled him, who told him only to reveal these things when God told him to.

VoG helped me follow my leaders better than i was before, and helped me prepare better for the future, and most important of all, increased my Testimony of Jesus my Savior. That's all that matters to me.

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

Nan wrote:Julie has not been called as a prophet of god. And yet people are treating what she claims as if it is prophecy. Yet she has actually been so wrong about the things she has said is going to happen. Instead of looking to her for what is going to happen and how to prepare people should be listening to the prophets and scriptures and be figuring out what they should be doing to be clean and to help God's kingdom move forward.
Are only prophets of God allowed to receive revelation about global events?

or

Are only prophets of God allowed to share them?

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

zionminded wrote:
Nan wrote:Julie has not been called as a prophet of god. And yet people are treating what she claims as if it is prophecy. Yet she has actually been so wrong about the things she has said is going to happen. Instead of looking to her for what is going to happen and how to prepare people should be listening to the prophets and scriptures and be figuring out what they should be doing to be clean and to help God's kingdom move forward.

or

Give me the example you desire so I know where you are coming from.

Mosiah received word to leave the land of Nephi. Those who received confirmation left with him.

Brigham Young left for what would become SLC. Many went with him. What about the others?

Sarah Menet said what? What did people do?

Julie Rowe said what? Some people went berserk. What did you do?

Some people on this forum mentioned their dreams. They did some activities.

If you believe the leaders are led by God, then follow their advice. Gradually build your food storage, get out of debt, live within your means, pay tithing, be active.

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

zionminded wrote:
Are only prophets of God(First Presidency Q of 12) allowed to receive revelation about global events?

or

Are only prophets of God(First Presidency q of 12) allowed to share them?
I think anyone can be a prophet.. I want to know if this ^^^ is what they believe.

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

http://www.ldsliving.com/Church-Squashe ... nt/s/80101" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Bee Prepared
captain of 1,000

Post by Bee Prepared »

President Ezra Taft Benson (1899–1994) taught that we should value the words of the prophet more than those of any other person: “Of all mortal men, we should keep our eyes most firmly fixed on the captain, the prophet, seer, and revelator, and president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This is the man who stands closest to the fountain of living waters. There are some heavenly instructions for us that we can only receive through the prophet. A good way to measure your standing with the Lord is to see how you feel about, and act upon, the inspired words of his earthly representative, the prophet-president. The inspired words of the president are not to be trifled with. All men are entitled to inspiration, and various men are entitled to revelation for their particular assignment. But only one man stands as the Lord’s spokesman to the Church and the world, and he is the president of the Church. The words of all other men should be weighed against his inspired words” (“Jesus Christ—Gifts and Expectations,” New Era, May 1975, 16).

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

Bee Prepared wrote:
President Ezra Taft Benson (1899–1994) taught that we should value the words of the prophet more than those of any other person: “Of all mortal men, we should keep our eyes most firmly fixed on the captain, the prophet, seer, and revelator, and president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This is the man who stands closest to the fountain of living waters. There are some heavenly instructions for us that we can only receive through the prophet. A good way to measure your standing with the Lord is to see how you feel about, and act upon, the inspired words of his earthly representative, the prophet-president. The inspired words of the president are not to be trifled with. All men are entitled to inspiration, and various men are entitled to revelation for their particular assignment. But only one man stands as the Lord’s spokesman to the Church and the world, and he is the president of the Church. The words of all other men should be weighed against his inspired words” (“Jesus Christ—Gifts and Expectations,” New Era, May 1975, 16).
Bee, this message is basically taken from the talk called "14 fundamentals in following the prophet" right?

Bee Prepared
captain of 1,000

Post by Bee Prepared »

Stahura wrote:
Bee Prepared wrote:
Bee, this message is basically taken from the talk called "14 fundamentals in following the prophet" right?
https://books.google.com/books?id=fxEvA ... T4KHRGxBvc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

rewcox wrote:
zionminded wrote:

or

Mosiah received word to leave the land of Nephi. Those who received confirmation left with him.

Brigham Young left for what would become SLC. Many went with him. What about the others?

If you believe the leaders are led by God, then follow their advice. Gradually build your food storage, get out of debt, live within your means, pay tithing, be active.
That's apples and oranges. J.R didn't say leave to the mountains, she said the church will do this, and you should follow the prophet's voice when he does.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

zionminded wrote:
rewcox wrote:
zionminded wrote:

or

That's apples and oranges. J.R didn't say leave to the mountains, she said the church will do this, and you should follow the prophet's voice when he does.
So give me your apple or orange.

setyourselffree
captain of 1,000

Post by setyourselffree »

zionminded wrote:
rewcox wrote:
zionminded wrote:

or

This really is all over. Julie said so herself she is done. Let's move onto something else.

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

Ill start a new reply as it pertains to many here.

There is a difference between being prophetic, and being the prophet and steward of the church. MANY LDS members live in this world:

Moroni Chapter 7 (in speaking of our day and the church today)
37 Behold I say unto you, Nay; for it is by faith that miracles are wrought; and it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men; wherefore, if these things have ceased wo be unto the children of men, for it is because of unbelief, and all is vain.
You see, many LDS members think only the 12 receive revelations, and that angles don't appear to them anymore. There are many visions and experiences all over the world. Most of them are accurate and divinely inspired, as the light of Christ doesn't discriminate. We know this because we ask non-members to pray if the BoM is true, surely we expect the Spirit of the Lord to transcend as many who are open, and there are many in which the veil is thin.

Those who don't want open to this truth, claim its the devils work, and sadly, they're being lied to by Satan about that who would rather the light of Christ be diminished at all costs, including the silencing of the Light of Christ and messages from the other side of the veil.

All good things come from God (again Moroni 7)
12 Wherefore, all things which are good cometh of God; and that which is evil cometh of the devil; for the devil is an enemy unto God, and fighteth against him continually, and inviteth and enticeth to sin, and to do that which is evil continually.
HOWEVER, assuming stewardship is another completely different thing. I don't recall J.R. every trying to do that. I also don't know much about others, but I don't think they assumed stewardship either.

It should be said too, that ALL prophecy is told through the subjective lens of their limited and biased experiences... which is no different than a a prophet of stewardship. I dare say (I'm going to make some people swirm here) there are people in the world, who's prophetic gifts are stronger than our current Prophet. However, that doesn't give them keys or authority or stewardship. It just makes them prophetic.