The Church is discrediting Julie Rowe Directly

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
FearlessFixxer
captain of 50

The Church is discrediting Julie Rowe Directly

Post by FearlessFixxer »

This is published on the Church's Seminary site:

Publication Caution: A Greater Tomorrow: My Journey Beyond the Veil
Additional Information: [August 31, 2015] In 2014, Spring Creek Book Company published A Greater Tomorrow: My Journey Beyond the Veil by Julie Rowe (see shaded box for Amazon’s description of the book). Although Sister Rowe is an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, her book is not endorsed by the Church and should not be recommended to students or used as a resource in teaching them. The experiences she shares are her own personal experiences and do not necessarily reflect Church doctrine or they may distort Church doctrine.

Here is the direct link to the church website: https://si.lds.org/bc/seminary/content/ ... on3831.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

creator
(of the Forum)

Re: The Church is discrediting Julie Rowe Directly

Post by creator »

Interesting document!

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

More threads discussing this -

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39881&hilit=julie+rowe&start=180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=2&p=641444#p641444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37001&hilit=julie+rowe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

No, they aren't directly discrediting Rowe. They are merely saying that her books should not be used in lessons, and that institute teachers should not encourage students to read her books. Institute teachers are supposed to limit their lessons and recommendations to church sources only.

The more people attempt to discredit Julie Rowe or persecute her and her message, the more I think the attacks are a testimony of the truthfulness of her message.

setyourselffree
captain of 1,000

Post by setyourselffree »

brianj wrote:No, they aren't directly discrediting Rowe. They are merely saying that her books should not be used in lessons, and that institute teachers should not encourage students to read her books. Institute teachers are supposed to limit their lessons and recommendations to church sources only.

The more people attempt to discredit Julie Rowe or persecute her and her message, the more I think the attacks are a testimony of the truthfulness of her message.
Then go follow her as a Prophet then. You obviously are looking for someone to give you outrageous prophecies that declare this or that is going to happen. That is not how modern day revelation works. I really hope you don't leave the Church we love you but cannot stop you.

AgaetisTakk
captain of 100

Post by AgaetisTakk »

brianj wrote:No, they aren't directly discrediting Rowe. They are merely saying that her books should not be used in lessons, and that institute teachers should not encourage students to read her books. Institute teachers are supposed to limit their lessons and recommendations to church sources only.

Saying that her books can distort Church doctrine is 100% discrediting her.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

I thought the caution was rather mild, given how many people follow her. It made me wonder what the church would say about this site.

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

They called her book spurious. It can't be any more clear that that.

adjective
not genuine, authentic, or true; not from the claimed, pretended, or proper source; counterfeit.

Biology. (of two or more parts, plants, etc.) having a similar appearance but a different structure.

of illegitimate birth; bastard.

Synonyms

1. false, sham, bogus, mock, feigned, phony; meretricious, deceitful.

Antonyms

1. genuine.

mattj
captain of 10

Post by mattj »

AgaetisTakk wrote:

It doesn't say " can." It says may. I think the "may" applies to people that cannot understand that her message is the same as what has been told for almost 200 years. Enough said.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

setyourselffree wrote:Then go follow her as a Prophet then. You obviously are looking for someone to give you outrageous prophecies that declare this or that is going to happen. That is not how modern day revelation works. I really hope you don't leave the Church we love you but cannot stop you.
Julie Rowe says to follow the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this teaching I will follow her. I sincerely doubt following President Monson or his successors will take me out of the church.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

durangout wrote:They called her book spurious. It can't be any more clear that that.

adjective
not genuine, authentic, or true; not from the claimed, pretended, or proper source; counterfeit.

Biology. (of two or more parts, plants, etc.) having a similar appearance but a different structure.

of illegitimate birth; cupcake.

Synonyms

1. false, sham, bogus, mock, feigned, phony; meretricious, deceitful.

Antonyms

1. genuine.
What is the proper source for church materials, to be used in church lessons? The church! In this case the word spurious is the correct word to use because her books are "not...from the proper source."

In the past when church members have endeavored to lead members astray with false teachings, the church has made statements beyond the CES to deny those teachings and teach correct principals. They have not done so with regard to Mrs. Rowe.

BTH&T
captain of 100

Post by BTH&T »

Here is the total statement:

Publication Caution: A Greater Tomorrow: My Journey Beyond the Veil
Additional Information:[August 31, 2015]
In 2014, Spring Creek Book Company published
A Greater Tomorrow: My Journey Beyond the Veil
by Julie Rowe (see shaded box for Amazon’s description of the book).

Although Sister Rowe is an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, her
book is not endorsed by the Church and should not be recommended to students or used as a resource in
teaching them.

The experiences she shares are her own personal experiences and do not necessarily reflect
Church doctrine or they may distort Church doctrine.

Used word "PUBLICATION CAUTION" not Spurious for this section.

Those that get so upset by others dreams/visions should take them exactly as this document suggested above.
For reference, not doctrine.
Last edited by BTH&T on September 10th, 2015, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattj
captain of 10

Post by mattj »

Well it looks like they are only warning about her first book, not her second. So I guess that one is fair game;)

mattj
captain of 10

Post by mattj »

setyourselffree wrote:

Then go follow her as a Prophet then. You obviously are looking for someone to give you outrageous prophecies that declare this or that is going to happen. That is not how modern day revelation works. I really hope you don't leave the Church we love you but cannot stop you.

Tisk Tisk setyourselffree. Condescending doesn't look good on anyone. Brianj has never claimed she is a prophet. Not once. Never. Give it a rest.

will
captain of 1,000

Post by will »

What the issue is seminary teachers sharing the book with students. No more no less. Church has an order and it falls within the priesthood. So what she wrote a book on what she saw. I've seen some of the same things. I guess my dreams are invalid because someone on a forum says so. Whatever. The first line of my partrartical blessing says I have the gift of dreams. So maybe I should ignore it. I don't speak for the church. Neither does Julie Rowe. She even said so. However, it doesn't make what she saw anyless true. Look around us and we can see that society is collapsing and I don't need a book to tell me That we better be prepared

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

The document has no author. It's middle management, and like many of you, they feel that a popular trending message in the Mormon community shouldn't be taught in seminary. And they're right. Seminary isn't to discuss contemporary experiences of visions or NDE's. Those are not canon. But it doesn't mean its a complete discredit, its just not.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

zionminded wrote:The document has no author. It's middle management, and like many of you, they feel that a popular trending message in the Mormon community shouldn't be taught in seminary. And they're right. Seminary isn't to discuss contemporary experiences of visions or NDE's. Those are not canon. But it doesn't mean its a complete discredit, its just not.

Boy you are stubborn.

This came from the Church Board of Education, who I remind you is overseen by:

President Thomas S. Monson

President Henry B. Eyring

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Elder Dallin H. Oaks

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

This had to be approved by the CBE before release. Which means these five apostles (one prophet) approved this letter. That is hardly middle management.

Concerned
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Concerned »

There was a recent Mormon Stories podcast on Julie Rowe. It may be worth listening to, especially for those that follow her closely.

http://mormonstories.org/julie-rowe-preppers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As some have mentioned on this board, Julie has a history of mental illness. I am concerned for her well being given the high visibility that she is getting right now. John Dehlin wrote the following in regards to her:
I’ve had a few people very close to her (i.e., close family and/or friends) reach out to me over the past 24 hours to confirm that they are very worried about her, that they are very frightened/saddened by what is happening, and that (without revealing details) her health history and her particular situation is one that (if fully known) should elicit sympathy/support/love/empathy and not ridicule/judgment (with total acknowledgement that many people are possibly in harm’s way because of her teachings).

Anyway…I just felt like I needed to share this. I think we all have cause to be alarmed/concerned…but based on the information I have….we should look to Julie with empathy and not mocking or judgment.

Let’s hope for a “miracle” that this ends peacefully/happily.

Feel free to spread the word to friends/family who might be affected by her situation.
Despite where people fall on the Julie Rowe spectrum, I think we do need to show kindness and compassion to her given her history of health issues. I would hate for this to send her into a tail spin that could hurt her psychologically and/or physically.

To those that are prepping, I would like to share a personal story with you. My husband and I were big time preppers a few years ago. We knew nothing about Julie or any others in the Mormon prepper movement. I was just following things in my patriarchal blessing and the dire warnings it contained. We had a son that was around 13 when we started our efforts. We talked a lot about my blessing and the destruction that was sure to come. I sorely regret being so transparent with him now. He is now an adult and recalls how frightened he was by hearing about all the end time prophecies and watching our efforts to prepare for the worst.

For those of you that have children and are prepping, please for your kids' sake do not do what I did. They need to feel sheltered and safe. Hold them, love them, play with them, read them wonderful stories. Life goes by very fast and they need to feel like they have a bright and safe future.

I hope this might help some people.
Last edited by Concerned on September 10th, 2015, 3:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

The more that people and the church discredit her, the more I realize that there is no reason for me to read her books, and that her message is false.
Which, I suppose is irrelevant, as I probably wouldn't read her books in any case.
dc

oxbloodangel
captain of 100

Post by oxbloodangel »

mirkwood wrote:

Boy you are stubborn.

Elder Dallin H. Oaks

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

This had to be approved by the CBE before release. Which means these five apostles (one prophet) approved this letter. That is hardly middle management.
This huge assumption back in the 1840s led to 170 years of wasted archaeological resources and words on the Guatemala model of Book of Mormon geography because missionaries got excited about MesoAmerican architecture and wanted to claim it as proof for the Book of Mormon. For almost two hundred years, people have been saying that a few unsigned articles in the Times and Seasons favoring this geography model must have been written or endorsed by the prophet because he was the editor at the time. Never mind that he and the first presidency were out sick and in hiding at the time of their publication. All this time later, two tremendous tools have led to the discovery of apostate Benjamin Winchester's authorship of these articles: 1) the Joseph Smith Papers Project and 2) Stylometry wherein a wordprint is established and found for each writer, distinct from the rest.

See how easy it is to assume the prophet is involved in some middle management job and give credit to something done by someone else without insight or special authority to prophesy? See the damage and confusion that can result from ascribing prophetic credibility to delegates and stand-ins?

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

mirkwood wrote:
zionminded wrote:The document has no author. It's middle management, and like many of you, they feel that a popular trending message in the Mormon community shouldn't be taught in seminary. And they're right. Seminary isn't to discuss contemporary experiences of visions or NDE's. Those are not canon. But it doesn't mean its a complete discredit, its just not.

Boy you are stubborn.

Elder Dallin H. Oaks

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

I am stubborn, but their names are not at the tot ton of that memo, nor is anybody else's name. If the church was going after her, it would be a much more profound memo, and more. This is a FAQ document. I highly doubt that the first presidency is micro managing the church education system.

AgaetisTakk
captain of 100

Post by AgaetisTakk »

mattj wrote:
AgaetisTakk wrote:

It doesn't say " can." It says may. I think the "may" applies to people that cannot understand that her message is the same as what has been told for almost 200 years. Enough said.
'Can' and 'may' are synonymous.

I am not aware of any message that has informed me that; Libya launches a missile and Iran takes the credit for it, or Obama will put people to death if they don’t get a chip implanted in them (all Julie Rowe claims). These stories are only being told recently and through conspiracy driven media outlets and fictional TV shows.

For people that abhor the 'filth' put on TV these days, people sure can't look away from it. All these books are is a compilation of dystopian fictional TV... ever seen Jericho?

notjamesbond003.5
captain of 1,000

Post by notjamesbond003.5 »

RobinHood is gonna be doing cartwheels.

njb

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

AgaetisTakk wrote:
mattj wrote:
AgaetisTakk wrote:
'Can' and 'may' are synonymous.

I am not aware of any message that has informed me that; Libya launches a missile and Iran takes the credit for it, or Obama will put people to death if they don’t get a chip implanted in them (all Julie Rowe claims). These stories are only being told recently and through conspiracy driven media outlets and fictional TV shows.

For people that abhor the 'filth' put on TV these days, people sure can't look away from it. All these books are is a compilation of dystopian fictional TV... ever seen Jericho?
Case in point: Does anybody remember during one of her SLC radio shows that a caller asked or the "truth" about Jade Helm? JR's response was that she really couldn't talk about it or it may put her and the caller's life in jeopardy. It it weren't all so terribly sad, it would be hysterical.

Army Of Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Army Of Truth »

David13 wrote:The more that people and the church discredit her, the more I realize that there is no reason for me to read her books, and that her message is false.
Which, I suppose is irrelevant, as I probably wouldn't read her books in any case.
dc
I can say that same false statement about our church, Joseph Smith, Jesus Christ himself, etc. Just because people try to discredit someone doesn't mean that person is suddenly a liar or is a false messenger.

If Julie Rowe's book was false or if she was a "false prophet", they would have said it was "false" just like that same CES letter mentioned the "Modern Day Stripling Warrior" email as "false and should not be used in CES classrooms or otherwise distributed" But they conveniently did NOT mention anything about her being a "false teacher" or teaching "false doctrine". This silence actually says more to credit her than to discredit her. :ymsmug: