modern day Sodom and Gomorrah

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: modern day Sodom and Gomorrah

Post by buffalo_girl »

Lot was able to live a righteous life while surrounded by debauchery.

Are you sure about that?

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Thomas wrote:
sen6b wrote:Prohibiting gay marriage isn't forcing anyone into righteous behavior it's standing up for our beliefs and the fact that we think it's wrong, and enforcement of God's law is never wrong.
I think it is fine to use your political vote in opposition to gay marriage but I believe that battle has been lost. The majority have chosen it.

By enforcing God's laws, what exactly do mean? God does not force us to obey him. Why do we think we should take it upon ourselves to do it?
I don't think I've ever seen God care when the majority has chosen to do something that was wrong or wicked--he still sends his prophets to tell them to repent. He still insists that those who know that something is wrong need to speak out and warn others.

If you think that since 'the majority has chosen it' the battle is lost, and even warning others is 'forcing' them to obey, I'd say you've been seduced by Satan's subtle influence(as so many are today) to view God's laws as "coercion" and an attack on our exercise of agency and Satan as the champion of Free Agency and freedom. @-)

Satan is turning things that used to clear and absolute upside down to where people call good evil and evil good; IMO, this line of thinking is a perfect example of that.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

buffalo_girl wrote:
Lot was able to live a righteous life while surrounded by debauchery.

Are you sure about that?

So true, Buffalo Girl, Lot and his family did NOT leave Sodom unscathed, for one thing, none of his other children listened to his warnings and his own wife could not leave the city behind without one last look of longing.

Lot's daughters committed incest with him--but of course, they'd been raised in Sodom and Gomorrah. IMO, it rubbed off.

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Post by Melissa »

Good people are still the majority! Most are in over their heads and feel trapped and just need motivation and support to stand up and voice this. Others are feeling forced (as most people are starting to feel) to accept evil ways out of fear.

Specifically speaking of LGBT people, the percentage is overwhelmingly small. How can a group so small have so much power? The answer lies in what the force is behind this group- and that is satan. Satan has a master plan and he is attacking on ALL fronts now.

I long for the day that the good people have renewed faith and strength to unite and fight. Elder Holland said something to the effect of we will no longer run but we are now mature enough to stand where we are and fight. BUT we must individually and then couple and family by family remove our self from the influence of the world. I believe this is where we are now. Too many members are caught up in satans sneaky traps and are struggling to get free.

Removing yourself does not mean that you check out and take care of yourself and forget to fight for what is right. We must fight it or we may find ourselves standing in a place at the end that we did not intend to be standing.

Thomas
captain of 1,000

Post by Thomas »

AI2.0 wrote:
Thomas wrote:
sen6b wrote:Prohibiting gay marriage isn't forcing anyone into righteous behavior it's standing up for our beliefs and the fact that we think it's wrong, and enforcement of God's law is never wrong.
I think it is fine to use your political vote in opposition to gay marriage but I believe that battle has been lost. The majority have chosen it.

By enforcing God's laws, what exactly do mean? God does not force us to obey him. Why do we think we should take it upon ourselves to do it?
I don't think I've ever seen God care when the majority has chosen to do something that was wrong or wicked--he still sends his prophets to tell them to repent. He still insists that those who know that something is wrong need to speak out and warn others.

If you think that since 'the majority has chosen it' the battle is lost, and even warning others is 'forcing' them to obey, I'd say you've been seduced by Satan's subtle influence(as so many are today) to view God's laws as "coercion" and an attack on our exercise of agency and Satan as the champion of Free Agency and freedom. @-)

Satan is turning things that used to clear and absolute upside down to where people call good evil and evil good; IMO, this line of thinking is a perfect example of that.
When did I say warning others is forcing them to obey?

I said pretty much all you can do is preach the gospel. You cannot force people to be moral. They must have the choice. Yes it is possible to force them if you have the power but what good is it to you? That doesn't do anything for your salvation. Your salvation is based upon your behavior not the behavior of those around you. Focus on what you can do to come to Christ. Lot interacted with heavenly messengers. Have you? Because if not it is all in vain.

Moroni 7:
36 Or have angels ceased to appear unto the children of men? Or has he withheld the power of the Holy Ghost from them? Or will he, so long as time shall last, or the earth shall stand, or there shall be one man upon the face thereof to be saved?

37 Behold I say unto you, Nay; for it is by faith that miracles are wrought; and it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men; wherefore, if these things have ceased wo be unto the children of men, for it is because of unbelief, and all is vain.

38 For no man can be saved, according to the words of Christ, save they shall have faith in his name; wherefore, if these things have ceased, then has faith ceased also; and awful is the state of man, for they are as though there had been no redemption made
Moroni says, if you don't have the faith to be ministered unto by angels than you don't have the faith to be saved by Christ.

Of what value is it to stop gay marriage and after you die go to hell?

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

I think few people see the ultimate agenda behind gay rights and gay marriage. Yes, the powers-that-be want population reduction first and foremost but ultimately the goal is to redefine marriage as a unit of reproduction that will serve the interests of the state. Of course this is only part of the agenda. More and more men are foregoing marriage and this, combined with the expansion of female bi-sexuality could and will lead to more and more women turning to science to be able to have children. What may develop due to the lack of males of perceived eugenic value by women will be a major shift in society. Maybe this will satisfy the prediction of the Old Testament and Koran of a time where women will outnumber males by huge numbers and if the OT is correct seven women will desire one man, yet make no demands upon him for support. Yes, a new age of eugenic marriage in which the idea of coupling or even Mormon polygamy will be phased out in favor of a group marriage arrangement. A small number of males, alpha males wishing to enter into this new polygamy or just as donors will father a huge segment of the human population. And as bio-technology advances, and the people of average skills are no longer needed with more and more robotics...well, you get a glimpse of a very probably future.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Lot's daughters committed incest with him--but of course, they'd been raised in Sodom and Gomorrah. IMO, it rubbed off.
My understanding from Jewish sources is that after Sodom and Gomorrah were nuked Lot's daughters thought that the world itself had been obliterated and they may have seen themselves as the last survivors; then they may have sought to start the world over again and seen their father as the new Adam.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Fiannan wrote:
My understanding from Jewish sources is that after Sodom and Gomorrah were nuked Lot's daughters thought that the world itself had been obliterated and they may have seen themselves as the last survivors; then they may have sought to start the world over again and seen their father as the new Adam.
Yes, I'm aware of that explanation, however, it only strengthens my position. Think about what they did. They took the matter into their own hands, ignoring their father's position of authority to spiritually lead and guide them--which didn't end even if the world had been nuked, and determined to get him drunk so they could have sexual relations with him--BOTH of them. This was incest and an absolute violation of their moral law. If they thought they were going to be a 'new Adam' and his wives, they were totally messed up--and IMO, it just confirms how the wicked, depraved values of Sodom and Gomorrah influenced them.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Thomas wrote: When did I say warning others is forcing them to obey?
Sorry if that is not what you wished to convey, but that was the message I read. You seemed to have a very fatalistic attitude toward us trying to speak up and stand against what is happening to our society.
I said pretty much all you can do is preach the gospel. You cannot force people to be moral. They must have the choice. Yes it is possible to force them if you have the power but what good is it to you? That doesn't do anything for your salvation. Your salvation is based upon your behavior not the behavior of those around you. Focus on what you can do to come to Christ. Lot interacted with heavenly messengers. Have you? Because if not it is all in vain.
I don't think anyone on this thread was suggesting we try to force people to be moral, if you got that impression from what I wrote, I'm sorry, that is not what I would ever suggest. Speaking up and voting or supporting those who take a stand against the moral slide taking place right now is not, IMO, forcing my values on others, it is trying to maintain the status quo--IMO, if anyone is guilty of trying to force their morals on others, it is the small militant faction of the LGBT community and their supporters who have been actively demanding that others accept their moral standard and calling anyone who opposes them 'haters'.
As for interacting with Heavenly Messengers being some sort of requirement to have the 'right' kind of faith, I disagree. Being able to be ministered to by heavenly messengers is one of the gifts of God, given to us singly or severally, depending on the will of God, as he sees fit to grant those gifts. It is not something we can or ought to demand as proof of our faith.
Moroni 7:
36 Or have angels ceased to appear unto the children of men? Or has he withheld the power of the Holy Ghost from them? Or will he, so long as time shall last, or the earth shall stand, or there shall be one man upon the face thereof to be saved?

37 Behold I say unto you, Nay; for it is by faith that miracles are wrought; and it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men; wherefore, if these things have ceased wo be unto the children of men, for it is because of unbelief, and all is vain.

38 For no man can be saved, according to the words of Christ, save they shall have faith in his name; wherefore, if these things have ceased, then has faith ceased also; and awful is the state of man, for they are as though there had been no redemption made
Moroni says, if you don't have the faith to be ministered unto by angels than you don't have the faith to be saved by Christ.

Of what value is it to stop gay marriage and after you die go to hell?
I think Moroni would disagree with your interpolation of his words. I would refer you back to your scriptures. Faith is not to have a perfect knowledge. Faith is to believe on things NOT SEEN. That definition of faith is not conducive with the demand that one must see heavenly messengers in order to be able to exercise faith that can save. Christ taught 'Doubting' Thomas that a witness of the Holy Ghost was more powerful than actually seeing with one's eyes, which is what we in this life would accept as a more sure knowledge. But, I've known many people who, when they lost their faith, also lost faith in the miracles they'd seen and which now they questioned. In other words, seeing heavenly messengers is not something we should put on a pedestal as 'better' than faith in things not seen, yet we believe--after all, Laman and Lemuel saw and interacted with angels and yet it didn't help them know the truth or be able to understand the things of God any better than the average unbelievers.

I don't think we are going to stop gay marriage by our disapproval of some of the highly sexualized displays in Pride parades, that isn't why we speak out. It is to let others like us know that it IS not right and ought not to be encouraged or promoted and they are not alone.

Bananikka
captain of 100

Post by Bananikka »

I have never spoken with heavenly messengers. No angels have ever visited me. (That I know of, naturally) Has my life of trying to be obedient and faithful been in vain because if this? I really hope I misunderstood you there.

Moroni 7:

Of what value is it to stop gay marriage and after you die go to hell?[/quote]

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »

Last edited by dlbww on September 26th, 2015, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas
captain of 1,000

Post by Thomas »

AI2.0 wrote: Sorry if that is not what you wished to convey, but that was the message I read. You seemed to have a very fatalistic attitude toward us trying to speak up and stand against what is happening to our society
My attitude comes from reading the scriptures. Have you read the Book of Mormon, Isaiah, Revelation, Daniel, Ezekiel? Do you believe we live in the latter days? Speak up all you want. I'll quote Packer:" It is easier to change behavior by studying the gospel than by studying behavior." As I said, about all you can do is preach the gospel.
I think Moroni would disagree with your interpolation of his words. I would refer you back to your scriptures. Faith is not to have a perfect knowledge. Faith is to believe on things NOT SEEN. That definition of faith is not conducive with the demand that one must see heavenly messengers in order to be able to exercise faith that can save. Christ taught 'Doubting' Thomas that a witness of the Holy Ghost was more powerful than actually seeing with one's eyes, which is what we in this life would accept as a more sure knowledge. But, I've known many people who, when they lost their faith, also lost faith in the miracles they'd seen and which now they questioned. In other words, seeing heavenly messengers is not something we should put on a pedestal as 'better' than faith in things not seen, yet we believe--after all, Laman and Lemuel saw and interacted with angels and yet it didn't help them know the truth or be able to understand the things of God any better than the average unbelievers.
Thank you for your faith lesson. I implore you to study a little deeper than the primary version of faith. Start with the Lectures on faith and study the words of Joseph Smith. Try to determine, from what he taught, if you have enough faith to be saved. maybe if you won't believe Moroni , you will believe Joseph. Faith is just a word unless it can manifest itself in some form or another. That is what Moroni is trying to tell you. Real faith brings angels. Angels bring Christ. Christ brings you to God. That is salvation. Otherwise, all you have is a meaningless word.
LOF pg 19
34 The reason why we have been thus particular on this part of our subject, is, that this class may see by what means it was that God became an object of faith among men after the fall; and what it was that stirred up the faith of multitudes to feel after him; to search after a knowledge of his character, perfections and attributes, until they became extensively acquainted with him; and not only commune with him, and behold his glory, but be partakers of his power, and stand in his presence.
Does it take faith to stand in God's presence while living or dead, when all who die will stand before God whether they had faith or not? Think about that and ponder on what this scripture means as well:
John 17:3

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent
Now the words of Joseph Smith again:
LOF pg 25
55 Let us here observe, that after any portion of the human family are made acquainted with the important fact that there is a God who has created and does uphold all things, the extent of their knowledge, respecting his character and glory, will depend upon their diligence and faithfulness in seeking after him, until like Enoch the brother of Jared, and Moses, they shall obtain faith in God, and power with him to. behold him face to face.
LOF pg 61
8 It is in vain for persons to fancy to themselves that they are heirs with those, or can be heirs with them, who have offered their all in sacrifice, and by this means obtained faith in God and favor with him so as to obtain eternal life, unless they in like manner offer unto him the same sacrifice, and through that offering obtain the knowledge that they are accepted of him.

9 It was in offering sacrifices that Abel, the first martyr, obtained knowledge that he was accepted of God. And from the days of righteous Abel to the present time, the knowledge that men have that they are accepted in the sight of God, is obtained by offering sacrifice: and in the last days, before the Lord comes, he is to gather together his saints who have made a covenant with him by sacrifice. Ps. 50: 3,4,5. Our God shall clime, and shall not keep silence: a fire shall devour before him, and it shall be very tempestuous round about him. He shall call to the heavens from above, and to the earth, that he may judge his people. Gather my saints together unto me; those that have made a covenant unto me by sacrifice.
So, I guess you can worry about whether people are going to be gay when the scripture say most the world will be destroyed because of wickedness or you could worry about whether your ambitions about being saved are vain because you have not beheld the face of God nor given your all in sacrifice to the Lord like Abraham, Job, Joseph Smith etc.

It won't do much good if you find out you are one of the ones getting the ax when the headsman comes.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Yes, I'm aware of that explanation, however, it only strengthens my position. Think about what they did. They took the matter into their own hands, ignoring their father's position of authority to spiritually lead and guide them--which didn't end even if the world had been nuked, and determined to get him drunk so they could have sexual relations with him--BOTH of them. This was incest and an absolute violation of their moral law. If they thought they were going to be a 'new Adam' and his wives, they were totally messed up--and IMO, it just confirms how the wicked, depraved values of Sodom and Gomorrah influenced them.
A quick question, was incest listed as a crime against God's laws then? I have noted that Ham's sin may have been raping his father and in this case Lot's daughters raped their father as well; yet in this case it appears they lived as a family unit afterwards. I will note that Abraham and Sarah were siblings but they married, and Adam and Eve's children had to marry each other, unless one buys into the idea that hominids existed at the time that intermarried with Adam and Eve's children.

By the way, aren't Lot's daughters ultimately married to their father in the next life?

Hogmeister
captain of 100

Post by Hogmeister »

Fiannan wrote:
A quick question, was incest listed as a crime against God's laws then? I have noted that Ham's sin may have been raping his father and in this case Lot's daughters raped their father as well; yet in this case it appears they lived as a family unit afterwards. I will note that Abraham and Sarah were siblings but they married, and Adam and Eve's children had to marry each other, unless one buys into the idea that hominids existed at the time that intermarried with Adam and Eve's children.

By the way, aren't Lot's daughters ultimately married to their father in the next life?
Recent discoveries (ancient texts) shows that Ham's sin was in trying to "steal" the priesthood for himself and his posterity. He stole the priesthood garment, given to Adam by God and passed on to and worn by Noah. Thus uncovering Noah's nakedness. Makes more sense knowing this that the said curse pertained to the priesthood.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Fiannan wrote: A quick question, was incest listed as a crime against God's laws then? I have noted that Ham's sin may have been raping his father and in this case Lot's daughters raped their father as well; yet in this case it appears they lived as a family unit afterwards. I will note that Abraham and Sarah were siblings but they married, and Adam and Eve's children had to marry each other, unless one buys into the idea that hominids existed at the time that intermarried with Adam and Eve's children.
While some rare societies have allowed marriage between siblings, do you know of any which allow marriage between a parent and full blood child? I don't. During early biblical days incest laws were different from later times, probably out of necessity, people married within their own clans, however, by the time of Moses, incest was listed as forbidden among the Children of Israel.

Sarah was Abraham's half sister--they had different mothers and at that time this type of marriage was not forbidden.

The story about Ham raping his father is not a plausible explanation, IMO. Hogmeister's explanation is the one I think best. It is also the one that Hugh Nibley suggests.
Why would you think this?

shestalou
captain of 100

Post by shestalou »

Maybe in Utah the majority doesnt want it but do not say anything against gays here or you will be looked down upon by everyone, you cannot say anything in opposition anymore, they have won. :ymdevil:

shestalou
captain of 100

Post by shestalou »

sen6b wrote:
shestalou wrote:Maybe in Utah the majority doesnt want it but do not say anything against gays here or you will be looked down upon by everyone, you cannot say anything in opposition anymore, they have won. :ymdevil:
Exactly!! They say they want EQUAL rights which would mean the same for everyone. But they don't want us to have our freedom of religion unless it's in agreement with their lifestyle. Or our freedom of speech unless it's pro gay. Otherwise, it's " hate speech" or " bigotry".
Your very right, and really they dont want marriage equality, eventually they want to do away with the definition of marriage family.

brianne541
captain of 100

Post by brianne541 »

sen6b wrote:
shestalou wrote:Maybe in Utah the majority doesnt want it but do not say anything against gays here or you will be looked down upon by everyone, you cannot say anything in opposition anymore, they have won. :ymdevil:
Exactly!! They say they want EQUAL rights which would mean the same for everyone. But they don't want us to have our freedom of religion unless it's in agreement with their lifestyle. Or our freedom of speech unless it's pro gay. Otherwise, it's " hate speech" or " bigotry".

Gosh I saw a post by KSL on my Facebook feed about the state taking it's fight for traditional marriage to the supreme court, and I was AMAZED at all the comments! Holy crap if one person commented that they supported the fight, there were 20 comments telling them how awful of a person they were, and how "hypocritical" they are. So sad! Also if anyone said anything about marriage between a man and woman being God's law, it opened a whole new can of worms. They want all these "equal rights" and protection under the law, but I can guarantee that as soon as these man made laws are changed, the Lord will not stay his hand any longer and we as a country will no longer have his protection.

Hyrcanus
captain of 100

Post by Hyrcanus »

The former majority used the power it had to grant itself special benefits and protections under the law. It used the government it controlled as a bludgeon against opponents. Now we're disgusted and shocked that the new majority is anxious to use that same authority we gave the government to attack us?

Government never should have had anything to do with marriage. Period.

Eglantine
captain of 10

Post by Eglantine »

You should read the blog by Joseph Sciambra. He writes about homosexuality, porn addiction, etc. He repented and changed his life around. He is a Catholic so he writes a lot about saints, etc.

I understand what you were trying to say. You aren't attacking gay people but the celebration of depravity. You also wonder why people at gay pride parades have to act so disgusting. If heterosexuals did the same thing it would not be called a "pride" parade. Is this like Sodom and Gomorrah?

Fortunately, we aren't that bad. There are places in the world that bad though. If you walk through Taliban areas you might be treated the same way. The Taliban are known to engage in homosexuality and pederasty. They parade pretty men and boys around like lap dogs. They rape those they want to dominate. There are gay communities like that in the US as well. You are naive if you think there aren't. Read about "twinks".

I was also very close to someone who is gay. I saw some horrible things about the gay community that traumatize me to this day. My heart goes to those who find themselves in that lifestyle. It ain't pretty. I don't hate them, but I do feel anger towards those who abuse vulnerable young men. I hope I didn't offend anyone.

WarMonger
captain of 100

Post by WarMonger »

Not all sin is the same there are also groups of sins, and every sin has attended physiological and physiological influence. i.e. there are different laws governing different sins.

D&C 130:20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—
21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

Sexual sin is the most damaging (next to murder) both physiological and physiological of all sins the scriptures are clear. If we learn to recognize various sins and the associated impact on us spiritually it becomes very easy to identify the physiological trauma that is associated with each type/class/group of sins. Just speaking to people you can fell what the main issues are in there life - people become like an open book. If one makes lifetime study of these things it is extremely clear and one has but to agree with sen6b.

What abelchirino said "He did not understand the principle of the punishment that the sinner has to suffer under the law because he himself was a sinner." that is one of the key results of sexual sin - one looses complete perspective with reality. Consider what has been said about pornography it is more addictive than any form of drugs, why is that just viewing a few pictures on a PC monitor so damaging??.

WarMonger
captain of 100

Post by WarMonger »

sen6b your reaction (correct response) to those images reminds me of D&C 38:30
D&C 38:30 I tell you these things because of your prayers; wherefore, treasure up wisdom in your bosoms, lest the wickedness of men reveal these things unto you by their wickedness, in a manner which shall speak in your ears with a voice louder than that which shall shake the earth; but if ye are prepared ye shall not fear.
31 And that ye might escape the power of the enemy, and be gathered unto me a righteous people, without spot and blameless—

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

My previous comments have NOT been directed at same-sex practices any more than opposite-sex practices which are outside God's LAW - and which can and do devolve to a level of depravity, outright aggression, even violence.

I agree with WarMonger's observations regarding specific sins having specific consequences.

Malignant response to an opinion in opposition to one given to depravity is barely a whisper away from focused - albeit insane - violence. Think of how Stephen was treated by the corrupt high priests when Holy Scripture testified against them from his mouth:

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/nt/acts/7.54?lang=eng#53" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Acts 7
54 ¶When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth.

Fortunately, we aren't that bad.

I believe 'we' are.