EARTHQUAKES!

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: EARTHQUAKES!

Post by BroJones »

Thanks for comments (esp JohnnyL) - I follow lds0ff when there's time (on a mission!)

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

The cause of earthquakes in diverse places has been found....

California Fault Lines Are "Locked, Loaded, & Ready" For The Big One, Expert Warns
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-05-0 ... pert-warns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The crust of our planet already somewhat resembles a giant cracked egg, and to hear that pieces may be breaking off and sinking into the interior is not exactly comforting.

And those same scientists are telling us that the process that has been causing this is ongoing and will continue to produce more earthquakes…

shellertx
Hi, I'm new.

Post by shellertx »

Not sure if you guys follow this guy. He's pretty thorough.

Dutchsinse
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHE92x ... fMrqhsnE1Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

shellertx wrote:Not sure if you guys follow this guy. He's pretty thorough.

Dutchsinse
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHE92x ... fMrqhsnE1Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've heard his name now and then. Thanks for the link, I didn't know he had a YouTube channel.

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

Trending on facebook. Kind of interesting.

Mount St. Helens: Earthquake Swarm Detected Below Washington Volcano, Report Says
The swarm is occurring several kilometers below the currently dormant volcano, Erik Klemetti of Wired reported. They are occurring as Mount St. Helens is "recharging" its magma stores.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

OCDMOM wrote:Trending on facebook. Kind of interesting.

Mount St. Helens: Earthquake Swarm Detected Below Washington Volcano, Report Says
The swarm is occurring several kilometers below the currently dormant volcano, Erik Klemetti of Wired reported. They are occurring as Mount St. Helens is "recharging" its magma stores.
These are microquakes and are only evidence that Saturday was a slow news day. The largest recent earthquake reported by the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network was a 0.9 on the Richter Scale.

When Mt. St. Helens erupts again, the only real problem will be ash fall downwind briefly handicapping air traffic in central Washington, as well as possibly interfering with fruit crops in the Yakima Valley. The drainages from that mountain mostly lead to very sparsely populate areas so this volcano would mostly be visual entertainment.

Mount Rainier, on the other hand, is the main event for Washington state. Enumclaw, Orting, Sumner, Puyallyp, Auburn, Fife, and the Port of Tacoma will all be washed away by lahars. Eatonville and Yelm will be be washed away by lahars flowing down the Nisqually river basin, so I-5 will be cut off in two locations. Except for the Tacoma Narrows bridge, the cities of Tacoma, Lakewood, University Place, Parkland, Spanaway, South Hill, and smaller cities in the region will be completely cut off. It will be exciting.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

I wrote and posted this some time ago, but thought it still might create some chuckles.

Here in Oregon we could set a new meaning to the term "Rock and Roll". And compose a country song called "Smoky Mountain Boogie". Maybe even change the name of an old song, "Rocky Top" to "Rocky Pop". We have three volcanoes close together called "Three Sisters". They could become "Three Smoking Ladies". We also have a volcano south of us called "Mt Shasta". It could become "Fizzing Popped Top". We have "Mt Hood" close by. It could become "Mt Puff". We also have "Crater Lake" nearby. It could become "Watery Sinkhole of the Northwest". There is talk of "Mt St Helens" erupting again, so we could call it "Mt Blow Hard". So folks, if anything bad happens like a tsunami, volcanoes, earthquakes or massive, violent thunder storms...we're "covered".

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

EARTHQUAKE REPORT

Region: NEAR THE COAST OF ECUADOR
Geographic coordinates: 0.465N, 79.641W
Magnitude: 6.8
Depth: 31 km
Time near the Epicenter: 18 May 2016 11:46:44

Location with respect to nearby cities:
146 km (90 mi) WNW of Quito, Ecuador

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

EmmaLee wrote:EARTHQUAKE REPORT

Region: NEAR THE COAST OF ECUADOR
Geographic coordinates: 0.465N, 79.641W
Magnitude: 6.8
Depth: 31 km
Time near the Epicenter: 18 May 2016 11:46:44

146 km (90 mi) WNW of Quito, Ecuador
There have been 2 earthquakes in Ecuador in the past 24 hours, a 6.7 and a 6.8 in the same location. A pastor, whose daughter lives there, says that she has told him the devastation is much worse than the US mainstream media has reported.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

Oh, wow! :-o

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

Australia had a 6.1 this last week, been 20y since the last one even remotely the same magnitude.
Volcanoes are going ballistic and US west coast going up in flames shortly.

40 Volcanoes Are Erupting Right Now As The Crust Of The Earth Becomes Increasingly Unstable
http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/arch ... y-unstable" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

EARTHQUAKE REPORT

Region: SOUTH SANDWICH ISLANDS REGION
Geographic coordinates: 56.257S, 27.036W
Magnitude: 7.3
Depth: 93 km
Time near the Epicenter: 28 May 2016 07:47:02

50 km (31 mi) NNE of Visokoi Island, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Has there been anything in northern Utah over the last week or two?

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

A Random Phrase wrote:Has there been anything in northern Utah over the last week or two?
A few abnormal large one's like a 4..
http://quake.utah.edu/earthquake-center/quake-map" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Thanks, I appreciate the link.
Looks like quite a few (mostly small ones) all over Utah. When I was a teenager, that 4 would have been on the news. (I don't watch the news, so maybe it was.)

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

A Random Phrase wrote:Thanks, I appreciate the link.
Looks like quite a few (mostly small ones) all over Utah. When I was a teenager, that 4 would have been on the news. (I don't watch the news, so maybe it was.)
What I only just noticed - geological speaking they are all very shallow quakes - which is also not a good sign.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

It isn't? Does it mean a big one is in the making?

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

5.2 near Palm Springs.... not a huge Earthquake for the area but could be a foreshock
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... 87#general" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

EARTHQUAKE REPORT

Region: SOUTH ISLAND OF NEW ZEALAND
Geographic coordinates: 42.757S, 173.077E
Magnitude: 7.8
Depth: 23 km
Universal Time (UTC): 13 Nov 2016 11:02:57

53 km (32 mi) NNE of Amberley, New Zealand
77 km (47 mi) NNE of Kaiapoi, New Zealand
93 km (57 mi) NNE of Christchurch, New Zealand
155 km (96 mi) SSW of Blenheim, New Zealand
215 km (133 mi) SW of Wellington, New Zealand

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

EARTHQUAKE REPORT

Region: LA RIOJA, ARGENTINA
Geographic coordinates: 28.923S, 67.491W
Magnitude: 6.2
Depth: 100 km
Universal Time (UTC): 13 Nov 2016 14:01:01

26 km (16 mi) N of Chilecito, Argentina
77 km (47 mi) WSW of Arauco, Argentina
82 km (50 mi) NW of La Rioja, Argentina
95 km (58 mi) S of Tinogasta, Argentina
585 km (362 mi) NNE of Santiago, Chile

jeremiah57morgan
Hi, I'm new.

Post by jeremiah57morgan »

Here are several great quotes on Earthquakes in divers places: http://www.ldslastdays.com/Earthquakes-in-Divers-Places" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Someone please explain how seismic readings change with regard to quake intensity. For example, a 1.0 compared to a 2.0, a 1.0 compared to a 3.0, etc. A 2 to 3. I don't quite understand how it is all calculated. Is there a chart showing the differences between all seismic changes in percentage? I hope my questions are sharply defined.

I was in the 1994 Northridge quake. It was a 6.7 in mag. New Zealand was a 7.8 in mag. Must be quite an increase in intensity.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

EmmaLee wrote:EARTHQUAKE REPORT

Region: SOUTH ISLAND OF NEW ZEALAND
Geographic coordinates: 42.757S, 173.077E
Magnitude: 7.8
Depth: 23 km
Universal Time (UTC): 13 Nov 2016 11:02:57

53 km (32 mi) NNE of Amberley, New Zealand
77 km (47 mi) NNE of Kaiapoi, New Zealand
93 km (57 mi) NNE of Christchurch, New Zealand
155 km (96 mi) SSW of Blenheim, New Zealand
215 km (133 mi) SW of Wellington, New Zealand
Now listed as 7.9 SEE: http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/ear ... ?id=545040" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New Zealand.jpg
New Zealand.jpg (190.36 KiB) Viewed 3348 times

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

M 4.5 - OFFSHORE COQUIMBO, CHILE - 2016-11-14 10:11:28
http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/ear ... ?id=545373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

freedomforall wrote:Someone please explain how seismic readings change with regard to quake intensity. For example, a 1.0 compared to a 2.0, a 1.0 compared to a 3.0, etc. A 2 to 3. I don't quite understand how it is all calculated. Is there a chart showing the differences between all seismic changes in percentage? I hope my questions are sharply defined.

I was in the 1994 Northridge quake. It was a 6.7 in mag. New Zealand was a 7.8 in mag. Must be quite an increase in intensity.
Actually it is. The modified Rhichter Scale uses a base-10 logarithmic function to calculate intensity. So a 2.0 is actually 100 (10 squared) units, while a 3.0 is 1000 units (10^3), a 4.0 is 10000 units (10^4), etc. So basically, the magnitude is the exponent that the number 10 is being raised too.