EARTHQUAKES!

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
brianj
captain of 1,000

Re: EARTHQUAKES!

Post by brianj »

gkearney wrote:
freedomforall wrote:Hey, scientists! What keeps the earth so hot inside? Why doesn't the earth ever cool down except on the surface?
There must be a massive heating element inside the earth someplace, huh?
The earth and all other planetary body generate heat by means of pressure. As you move to the centre of the planet the pressures create heat. This is seen for example of the jovian moons.
Tidal heating isn't as significant as suggested. Geologists say the two main sources of heat are residual heat from the creation of the planet and heat from radioisotope decay.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

gkearney wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
gkearney wrote:
freedomforall wrote:Hey, scientists! What keeps the earth so hot inside? Why doesn't the earth ever cool down except on the surface?
The earth and all other planetary body generate heat by means of pressure. As you move to the centre of the planet the pressures create heat. This is seen for example of the jovian moons.
Thanks.

So I guess that sinkholes on the surface have no value. :D

Why can't drills be used to make relief ports on the sides of volcanoes? Even Caldera's could have pressure relieved, right?

It's beyond me how government can spend billions of dollars on a space program, and yet claim poverty when it comes to safety for the masses.

I fully believe that ocean water could be made potable with a little ingenuity. Maybe hot lava could have its uses.
Well if you have ever visited Iceland you would see that indeed they have used geothermal features so common there to heat their houses for hundreds of years. So it is possible. There exists already the technology to make sea water portable and it is in widespread use in many nations in the middle east, the Arabian peninsula , South Africa and Australia. Indeed Perth Australia get fully 2/3 of its water from such system.

Drilling holes into magma chambers would be a very complex and potentially dangerous activity which could well make matter worse than they already are. The holes would also need to be very large to have any effect. The deepest holes ever drilled com no where close to reaching the molten layers of the earth. Just one problem to consider just what are you going to make the drilling equipment out of that will not itself melt when it come in contact with molten materials?
Simply wishful thinking. However, if there were a way to relieve pressure, what could be worse with regard to danger, that we don't already face according to prophecy? Of course, biblical end times events mean nothing to a lot of people. If it did, more people would repent and these calamities could be averted.
I'm just thinking out loud, here. But you have made reasonable answers for not doing it.

I hear that dumb questions can inspire other people when we know not.

Dash jones
captain of 100

Post by Dash jones »

gkearney wrote: There exists already the technology to make sea water portable and it is in widespread use in many nations in the middle east, the Arabian peninsula , South Africa and Australia. Indeed Perth Australia get fully 2/3 of its water from such system.
You mean...like a bucket? Now days, a water truck?

Sorry...I couldn't resist. It was evil of me, I must apologize...

I get you meant to say...potable. I couldn't resist the pun though...

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

"A 6.9 magnitude earthquake has struck off the coast of Indonesia, seismologists say, adding that there was no threat of a tsunami.
THE quake, which was relatively shallow, hit in the Banda Sea, 151 kilometres east-southeast of the coastal city of Ambon at 1021 GMT (2121 AEDT) on Wednesday, according to the US Geological Survey.
USGS reported the quake hitting at a depth of 33.9 kilometres.
Indonesia's tsunami warning centre said there was no potential for the quake to trigger a tsunami.
"The quake was felt strongly in Ambon and Banda, but until now there is no report of damage or casualties," said Jandri Pattinama, an officer at a geophysics station in Ambon.
Indonesia sits on the Pacific "Ring of Fire" where tectonic plates collide, causing frequent seismic and volcanic activity in the region.
Last month, a 6.1-magnitude undersea earthquake struck eastern Indonesia that was felt in Saumlaki and prompted some residents to run outside, though the tremor had no tsunami potential, disaster officials said.
Earlier in November, two powerful quakes struck Sumatra - an initial 6.1-magnitude undersea tremor followed hours later by a strong 6.4-magnitude quake." http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/new ... 7639862438" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

freedomforall wrote:
gkearney wrote:
Thanks.

Why can't drills be used to make relief ports on the sides of volcanoes? Even Caldera's could have pressure relieved, right?
Manmade sinkholes?
I wonder if sinkholes are akin to zits - humans get zits and the earth gets sinkholes.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

A Random Phrase wrote:Manmade sinkholes?
I wonder if sinkholes are akin to zits - humans get zits and the earth gets sinkholes.
Sinkholes are a sign of the Earth's great age. Earth appears from heaven to wax old as a garment in Isaiah 51. How does a garment wax old?

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

It gets holes. I hadn't thought of that, SmallFarm. Thank you.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

A Random Phrase wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
gkearney wrote:
Thanks.

Manmade sinkholes?
Sinkholes are inverted earth zits. They flow inward instead of outward. Volcanoes are huge earth zits that flow upward and outward spewing gas, ash, and hot lava/magma. Caldera's are huge zits that spread out under ground that can be unpredictable as to which way they will blow. One such zit is in Yellowstone Park, where one can watch water spew out of the ground every hour give or take a few minutes.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

freedomforall wrote:
A Random Phrase wrote:Why can't drills be used to make relief ports on the sides of volcanoes? Even Caldera's could have pressure relieved, right?
Manmade sinkholes?
Sinkholes are inverted earth zits. They flow inward instead of outward. Volcanoes are huge earth zits that flow upward and outward spewing gas, ash, and hot lava/magma. Caldera's are huge zits that spread out under ground that can be unpredictable as to which way they will blow. One such zit is in Yellowstone Park, where one can watch water spew out of the ground every hour give or take a few minutes.[/quote]

Actually calderas (note: there is no possession in the sentence so an apostrophe is grossly inappropriate) are depressions left when a magma chamber empties and the earth above the chamber collapses into the emptied magma chamber. The Yellowstone caldera (singular because I refer to one) is actually made up of three calderas (the s without an apostrophe indicates plural) formed after the last three super eruptions, plus a small fourth caldera formed after the West Thumb eruption about 174,000 years ago. Because the North American plate is moving roughly southwest, the Yellowstone hot spot appears to be moving northeast across the continent and the younger super eruption calderas are northeast of the older calderas.

Rising basaltic magma has created a new magma chamber underneath the Yellowstone caldera, and will be the source of the super eruption we may be looking forward to as part of the upcoming tribulations.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

brianj wrote:Actually calderas (note: there is no possession in the sentence so an apostrophe is grossly inappropriate) are depressions left when a magma chamber empties and the earth above the chamber collapses into the emptied magma chamber. The Yellowstone caldera (singular because I refer to one) is actually made up of three calderas (the s without an apostrophe indicates plural) formed after the last three super eruptions, plus a small fourth caldera formed after the West Thumb eruption about 174,000 years ago. Because the North American plate is moving roughly southwest, the Yellowstone hot spot appears to be moving northeast across the continent and the younger super eruption calderas are northeast of the older calderas.

Rising basaltic magma has created a new magma chamber underneath the Yellowstone caldera, and will be the source of the super eruption we may be looking forward to as part of the upcoming tribulations.
The apostrophe is used to plug the magma chamber. Everyone knows this. Plus the earth hasn't been around for 174,000 years, so this is grossly inappropriate to think otherwise. So let's put this info on our hot proper English banners.

Analyzing
captain of 100

Post by Analyzing »

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Hey, Utahns, would Tooele be a good safe haven against a major earthquake along the Wasatch Front? Maybe even Grantsville? Would the Oquirrh Mountains make any difference against shock waves?

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

brianj wrote:Actually calderas (note: there is no possession in the sentence so an apostrophe is grossly inappropriate)
"Grossly inappropriate" isn't that elevating grammar to a higher standard that the subject deserves? Perhaps it is "grossly inappropriate" to pick at such a minor matter not related to the subject at hand.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Thanks for the correction, but I don't think I wrote those questions. I think FFA did. I think I wrote the quote you attributed to FFA. (I'm really confused how you happened to swap those two quotes, since I don't think it was on purpose.)
brianj wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
A Random Phrase wrote:Why can't drills be used to make relief ports on the sides of volcanoes? Even Caldera's could have pressure relieved, right?
Manmade sinkholes?
Actually calderas (note: there is no possession in the sentence so an apostrophe is grossly inappropriate) are depressions left when a magma chamber empties and the earth above the chamber collapses into the emptied magma chamber. The Yellowstone caldera (singular because I refer to one) is actually made up of three calderas (the s without an apostrophe indicates plural) formed after the last three super eruptions, plus a small fourth caldera formed after the West Thumb eruption about 174,000 years ago. Because the North American plate is moving roughly southwest, the Yellowstone hot spot appears to be moving northeast across the continent and the younger super eruption calderas are northeast of the older calderas.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

freedomforall wrote:The apostrophe is used to plug the magma chamber. Everyone knows this.
:))

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

gkearney wrote:
brianj wrote:Actually calderas (note: there is no possession in the sentence so an apostrophe is grossly inappropriate)
"Grossly inappropriate" isn't that elevating grammar to a higher standard that the subject deserves? Perhaps it is "grossly inappropriate" to pick at such a minor matter not related to the subject at hand.
My English teacher would say that the quote should have been written thusly: "Actually, calderas is accurate; caldera's is not (there is no possession in the sentence, so an apostrophe is inappropriate). [Insertions are in red. Deletions are not noted.] O:-) :-B :ymparty: :D :p

/threadjack

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

A Random Phrase wrote:
gkearney wrote:
My English teacher would say that the quote should have been written thusly: "Actually, calderas is accurate; caldera's is not (there is no possession in the sentence, so an apostrophe is inappropriate). [Insertions are in red. Deletions are not noted.] O:-) :-B :ymparty: :D :p

/threadjack
If I recall correctly, there was another poster here on the forum that always thought it necessary to correct other posters use of English, always correcting someone. Thus having nothing to do with the current topic. It was quite annoying to say the least. I cannot recall the name of the poster.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

A Random Phrase wrote:Thanks for the correction, but I don't think I wrote those questions. I think FFA did. I think I wrote the quote you attributed to FFA. (I'm really confused how you happened to swap those two quotes, since I don't think it was on purpose.)
brianj wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
Manmade sinkholes?

When it comes to quoting people incorrectly, it's called grossly inappropriate dyslexic English usage.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

freedomforall wrote:When it comes to quoting people incorrectly, it's called grossly inappropriate dyslexic English usage.
This is what happened to the other poster. People started having fun with the gripes about grammar, pointing out the critic's own errors, and -in general- enjoying themselves immensely which, behold, did ticketh the critic off immensely. (By the way, my English teacher would have said I should have written the above this way: and-in general-enjoying.)

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

freedomforall wrote:If I recall correctly, there was another poster here on the forum that always thought it necessary to correct other posters use of English, always correcting someone. Thus having nothing to do with the current topic. It was quite annoying to say the least. I cannot recall the name of the poster.
Was that poster female? Is she single? If not, does she have a sister?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

brianj wrote:
freedomforall wrote:If I recall correctly, there was another poster here on the forum that always thought it necessary to correct other posters use of English, always correcting someone. Thus having nothing to do with the current topic. It was quite annoying to say the least. I cannot recall the name of the poster.
Depends on whether one wants her face on the front of her head or the back of it. For example:

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

A Random Phrase wrote:
freedomforall wrote:When it comes to quoting people incorrectly, it's called grossly inappropriate dyslexic English usage.
This is what happened to the other poster. People started having fun with the gripes about grammar, pointing out the critic's own errors, and -in general- enjoying themselves immensely which, behold, did ticketh the critic off immensely. (By the way, my English teacher would have said I should have written the above this way: and-in general-enjoying.)
Darn, I failed to use commas.

Grossly inappropriate, dyslexic, English usage. This should clear up any confusion as to what type of inappropriate English was used, in bringing out the main point.

If we can't speak proper English then English becomes a hindrance to us, so we need to go to England and learn proper English so our English will sound out properly, because proper English is necessary in order to survive in this land of liberty where English has become the focus as to why we have to push 1 for English. Make sense?

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

freedomforall wrote:If we can't speak proper English then English becomes a hindrance to us, so we need to go to England and learn proper English
Professor Higgins would disagree with you. (Note the song: Why Can't the English Learn to Speak?)

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

brianj wrote:

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

A Random Phrase wrote:
freedomforall wrote:If we can't speak proper English then English becomes a hindrance to us, so we need to go to England and learn proper English
Professor Higgins would disagree with you. (Note the song: Why Can't the English Learn to Speak?)
I can't say I ever watched My Fair Lady. Of course that was when movies had more talent and less skin to their credit.