A little reading about last days if you are bored

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

A little reading about last days if you are bored

Post by NoGreaterLove »

CHAPTER EIGHT

"If Ye Are Prepared Ye Shall Not Fear"

GERALD N. LUND

Gerald N. Lund is a zone administrator in the Church Educational System.

When a group of Latter-day Saints were asked what one question they would most like to ask of the Savior about his second coming, three came up again and again. Not surprisingly, When will it be? was the most-asked question. The second took various forms but had essentially the same intent: What is life going to be like before he comes and then when he comes? The third most-asked question was, How do I prepare myself so I will be ready? Although the answers to the first two questions are of great interest, the answer to the third question is probably of greatest immediate importance. The nature of Christ's coming is described with the paradoxical phrase "the great and dreadful day of the Lord" (D&C 110:14; italics added; see also v. 16).

How can something be both great and dreadful at the same time? Yet that is part of the reality of Christ's return to the earth and the judgments that usher it in. In many respects, the future holds things that are horrible and dreadful—war, wickedness, earthquakes, storms, famine, disease. On the other hand, the future also holds many things that will make it a great day—the establishment of Zion, the return of the lost tribes, the great council at Adam-ondi-Ahman, the return of Christ to the earth, a thousand years of peace and prosperity.

So what determines whether it will be a great day or a dreadful day for us as a people and as individuals? What makes the difference of whether we look forward to the future with fear and anxiety or faith and anticipation? There may be several answers to those questions, but one thing is clear. Whether the Lord's return will be great or dreadful for us will depend largely on whether or not we are prepared. The Lord has specifically commanded us, "Prepare yourselves for the great day of the Lord" (D&C 133:10). And in another revelation he gave this wonderful promise: "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear" (D&C 38:30). That promise may apply in many situations, but it certainly has particular relevance when we talk about the Second Coming.

Many people, especially those along in years, are certain that they will not live long enough to see the Second Coming. Does preparation really matter that much for them? Of course it does. Taking the broader perspective, remember that every one of us will be alive when Christ comes again to the earth. In many cases, our bodies will have died and will lie waiting in the grave, but the
spirit part of us, the part that gives us personality, character, individuality, will still be living. Thus the Lord's admonition that if we are prepared we shall not fear applies to everyone. If we are to be properly prepared for what the future holds, we must gain knowledge and understanding and prepare both temporally and spiritually.

GAIN KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING

President Jedediah M. Grant of the First Presidency asked the following question and then gave the answer: "Why is it that the Latter-day Saints are perfectly calm and serene among all the convulsions of the earth—the turmoils, strife, war, pestilence, famine and distress of nations? It is because the spirit of prophecy has made known to us that such things would actually transpire upon the earth. We understand it, and view it in its true light. We have learned it by the visions of the Almighty." fn It is knowledge and understanding that make the difference in whether we view the future with anxiety or anticipation.

Just before his death, the Savior was on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem with his disciples. The temple built by Herod was one of the wonders of the ancient world—great walls, massive stones, beautiful gates. It was a marvel of engineering and architecture. As they walked along, the disciples commented on what a wonderful building it was. Then the Savior turned to them and said, "See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down" (Matthew 24:2). They left the Temple Mount, crossed through the Kidron Valley, and went up on the Mount of Olives. The temple and all of Jerusalem lay before them. The disciples, troubled by the Savior's stunning declaration, said, "Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?" (Matthew 24:3).

The Savior's reply, because it was given on the Mount of Olives, has come to be known as the Olivet Discourse. It is one of the most complete discussions of the Second Coming that Jesus himself gave. In the Doctrine and Covenants version of the Olivet Discourse, the Savior said that after the disciples had heard about all the signs of the times, "they were troubled" (D&C 45:34). That should be of interest to us today. Just hearing about those events that were still centuries away troubled them. It is not surprising that we who live in the day when those signs are being fulfilled should also be troubled. But the Lord specifically commanded his dis-ciples, "Be not troubled" (D&C 45:35). And then he told them why. "And I said unto them: Be not troubled, for, when all these things shall come to pass, ye may know that the promises which have been made unto you shall be fulfilled" (D&C 45:35).

President Marion G. Romney noted the importance of knowledge in that scriptural admonition: "It was in the light of Christ's foreknowledge of this glorious consummation that he said to his disciples, 'be not troubled.' . . .

"I hope we are all familiar with these words of the Lord and with his predictions concerning other coming events, such as the building of the new Jerusalem and the redemption of the old, the return of Enoch's Zion, and Christ's millennial reign.

"Not only do I hope that we are familiar with these coming events; I hope also that we keep the vision of them continually before our minds. This I do because upon a knowledge of them, and an assurance of their reality and a witness that each of us may have part therein, rests the efficacy of Christ's admonition, 'be not troubled.'" fn

At least two kinds of knowledge and understanding will be particularly valuable to us as we prepare ourselves for what is to come.

Understanding the Prophetic View of the Future

After telling the disciples that they were not to be troubled, the Lord referred to a proverb common in the Holy Land in his day: "It shall be with them like unto a parable which I will show you—Ye look and behold the fig trees, and ye see them with your eyes, and ye say when they begin to shoot forth, and their leaves are yet tender, that summer is nigh at hand" (D&C 45:36-37).

It is an interesting fact of nature that the fig tree is one of the last of all the trees to come into leaf. That part of its nature is so dependable that it became a common thing in the Middle East to say that if the fig tree was in leaf, then summer was now come, or in other words, the cold weather was over.

The Lord continued by comparing the leaves of the fig tree to the signs of the times: "Even so it shall be in that day when they shall see all these things, then shall they know that the hour is nigh. And it shall come to pass that he that feareth me shall be looking forth for the great day of the Lord to come, even for the signs of the coming of the Son of Man" (D&C 45:38-39). Thus the Lord himself has specifically counseled us to watch for the signs of the times. Like the leaves of the fig tree, these prophetic signs will signal that his coming is approaching.

Many of the events that are prophesied for that time are not pleasant. Some of what the world will bring upon itself through its own wickedness is terrible and depressing. If that were all we could look forward to, we could honestly say, "I hope I die before those things happen." But the Lord has given us considerable detail about future events—even about the terrible things—so that when they come to pass, those who understand and know the prophecies will see them as the fulfillment of God's word. They will see them as proof that his great plan is rolling forward.

Joseph Fielding Smith, then a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, gave a series of lectures in Salt Lake City shortly after World War II began. After describing some of the terrible things associated with the battle of Armageddon, Elder Smith said: "I know these are unpleasant things. It is not a pleasant thing even for me to stand here and tell you that this is written in the Scriptures. If the Lord has a controversy with the nations, He will put them to the sword. Their bodies shall lie unburied like dung upon the earth. That is not nice, is it, but should we not know it? Is it not our duty to read these things and understand them? Don't you think the Lord has given us these things that we might know and we might prepare ourselves through humility, through repentance, through faith, that we might escape from these dreadful conditions that are portrayed by these ancient prophets?" fn

Unpleasant or not, however, those who are watching and waiting for the signs can better prepare for what is to come. How can we watch for those signs unless we have studied the scriptures and listened to the modern prophets carefully? Through them the Lord has told us about what is going to happen. We should know what they say. We should understand their words so that we can prepare for and live through those times without a loss of faith. It is upon our knowledge and understanding of those prophetic events that a large part of our personal preparation rests. In a proclamation made to the world shortly after the Saints arrived in Utah, the First Presidency stated: "Of the day and the hour of the coming of Christ no man knoweth. It is not yet, neither is it far off; there are prophecies yet to be fulfilled before that event takes place; therefore let no man deceive the Saints with vain philosophy and false prophecy; for false prophets will arise, and deceive the wicked, and, if possible, the good; but while the wicked fear and tremble at surrounding judgments, the Saints will watch and pray; and, waiting the final event in patience, will look calmly on the passing scenery of a corrupted world, and view transpiring events as confirmation of their faith in the holy gospel which they profess, and rejoice more and more, as multiplied signs shall confirm the approach of the millennial day." fn

Understanding the World around Us

In Doctrine and Covenants 88, a revelation directed to those in the School of the Prophets, the Lord gave a very specific and direct commandment to study and learn about "things that pertain unto the kingdom of God, that are expedient for you to understand; of things both in heaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must shortly come to pass; things which are at home, things which are abroad; the wars and the perplexities of the nations, and the judgments which are on the land; and a knowledge also of countries and of kingdoms" (D&C 88:78-79).

The judgments that will precede the coming of Christ and prepare the world for the millennial reign will have a profound effect upon the nations of the world. Eventually, there will even be an end to "all nations" (D&C 87:6). Can such things come to pass without a profound change in the political situation as we know it today? Already great changes are taking place around the world. For those watching with eyes of faith, things that make daily headlines or the evening television news are seen as at least partial fulfillment of things prophesied centuries ago. But how can we see the hand of the Lord in these things if we do not keep abreast of world events and know what is going on around us? For example, in recent years we have seen dramatic changes in what used to be the Soviet Union. Is the hand of God in such events? More than sixty years ago, Elder Melvin J. Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles made a most remarkable statement about Russia: "I am sure also that God is moving in Russia. . . . I can see God moving also in preparing the way for other events that are to come. The field that has gone to wild oats needs to be plowed up and harrowed and prepared for a new seed. So in Russia. It may seem appalling to us, but it is God breaking up and destroying an older order of things, and the process will be the accomplishment of God's purposes within a very short period of time, which normally may have taken generations. But that people will come back, for I bear witness that there are thousands of the blood of Israel in that land, and God is preparing the way for them." fn

More recently, President Thomas S. Monson also spoke of what has been happening in that part of the world: "In the month of May, my wife and I were in the historic city of Berlin. We boarded a taxi and asked that the driver take us to the Berlin Wall. When the driver failed to respond to the direction provided, again the desired destination was given. Still no movement. Then he turned toward us and, in halting English, explained, 'I can't. The wall is kaput—gone!' We drove to the Brandenburg Gate. We viewed its restoration. We gazed from West Berlin to East Berlin, now one Berlin, and reflected on the events which followed the wall's demise: a new mission of the Church established in Poland, another in Hungary, yet another in Greece, and a mission reestablished in Czechoslovakia. And now, official recognition of our Leningrad Branch in the Soviet Union. Who, except the Lord Himself, could have foreseen these historic events? It was He who declared, 'This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations.' (Matt. 24:14.) Surely the purposes of the Lord continue to unfold to our view if we but have eyes that truly see and hearts that know and feel." fn

In summary, then, one important thing that we can do to prepare ourselves for the Second Coming is to gain greater knowledge and understanding. Part of that knowledge will come directly from the scriptures and what the modern prophets have said and are saying to us. But the Lord has also commanded us to be knowledgeable about the world around us and the unfolding events that are all part of his great plan, leading up to the return of his Son to earth to reign as King of kings.

PREPARE TEMPORALLY

Get together with a group of Latter-day Saints, mention getting oneself prepared for the Second Coming, and it is almost certain that talk will quickly turn to food storage. That is not wrong, of course, but if the discussion stays focused only upon home storage, it will be woefully inadequate, even if the discussion is limited to preparing oneself temporally for Christ's return.

Natural disasters have struck with increasing frequency in recent years—the great earthquakes in Armenia, California, China, and other parts of the world; great storms, such as Hurricane Andrew in Florida and Hurricane Iniki in Hawaii; devastating floods in Europe and Asia and the midwestern United States. We see long lines at grocery stores as people try to purchase food and safe water. It is not surprising that when such disasters hit, our minds immediately jump to the importance of having a year's supply of food and clothing and fuel. And one can hardly say enough about the importance of this principle. For example, President Ezra Taft Benson declared: "The revelation to produce and store food may be as essential to our temporal welfare today as boarding the ark was to the people in the days of Noah." fn

But the signs of the times include political, social, and economic events that will try the preparedness of individuals and families in different ways. Economic turmoil is common in our day. Recession, depression, widespread unemployment, runaway inflation—any one of these can be as disastrous for an individual or a family as a major earthquake. War and widespread social upheaval are becoming the norm in some countries. Major storms can seriously affect food supplies or transportation. Even normal life has a way of testing the limits of our physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health from time to time.

When we speak of being prepared temporally, food storage is an important part of that preparation, but it is only a part, one aspect of the greater principle of self-reliance. President Spencer W. Kimball explained that principle clearly: "The responsibility for each person's social, emotional, spiritual, physical, or economic well-being rests first upon himself, second upon his family, and third upon the Church if he is a faithful member thereof.

"No true Latter-day Saint, while physically or emotionally able will voluntarily shift the burden of his own or his family's well-being to someone else. So long as he can, under the inspiration of the Lord and with his own labors, he will supply himself and his family with the spiritual and temporal necessities of life." fn

The Church has defined six areas in which we need to develop self-reliance: education, health, employment, home storage, resource management, and social, emotional, and spiritual strength (these six areas are detailed in materials published by the Welfare Services Department of the Church). When some of the future judgments strike, our self-reliance in these areas may be sorely tested. If we have properly prepared ourselves in such balanced and well-rounded ways as outlined by the Church, then surely we shall be able to claim the promise, "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear."

There are at least three reasons why temporal preparation will be so important in the days that lie ahead:

1. The Church may be cut off from normal avenues of transportation, commerce, and social interaction. Recent natural disasters have shown us how fragile and complex are the infrastructures that support our day-to-day living. When an earthquake strikes and freeway overpasses collapse, the traffic flow, the ability to get to work or school, the flow of food and goods into a city, can be seriously disrupted if not stopped altogether. That can put a whole city into immediate crisis. Widespread social disruption, such as a riot or civil war, can cut a whole people off from the normal avenues of supply, security, and protection.

Both as a church and as individual members of the Church, we are heavily dependent on current social structure for the normal functioning of our lives. Yet in a revelation given in March 1832, the Lord made this statement: "Behold, this is the preparation wherewith I prepare you, and the foundation, and the ensample which I give unto you, whereby you may accomplish the commandments which are given unto you; that through my providence, notwithstanding the tribulation which shall descend upon you, that the church may stand independent above all other creatures beneath the celestial world" (D&C 78:13-14; italics added).

That seems to be one main reason why the welfare program of the Church was organized: not only to meet the needs of those who are poor but also to move the Church toward greater independence. Harold B. Lee, when he was president of the Church, recounted an experience he had had in the earliest days of the Welfare Program. He had been asked by the General Authorities to go to the various stakes and talk about the importance of getting the program in place. "In one of those meetings, the thought came to me, 'I wonder what this [the welfare program] is all about?' And there came to me something that has stayed with me to this day, 'There is no person who knows the real purpose for which this Welfare Program is being instituted. But hardly before sufficient preparation has been made, the real purpose will be revealed, and when that time comes it will challenge every resource of the Church to meet it.'" fn

In the welfare session of the April 1975 general conference, Marion G. Romney of the First Presidency made a similar statement: "I do not want to be a calamity howler. I don't know in detail what's going to happen in the future. I know what the prophets have predicted. But I tell you that the welfare program, organized to enable us to take care of our own needs, has not yet performed the function that it was set up to perform. We will see the day when we will live on what we produce." fn

A year earlier, also in a welfare session of general conference, President Spencer W, Kimball said: "I remember when the sisters used to say, 'Well, but we could buy it at the store a lot cheaper than we can put it up.' But that isn't quite the answer, is it, Sister Spafford [Relief Society General President]? Because there will come a time when there isn't a store." fn

Therefore, one of the important reasons for being temporally prepared—and this is in all aspects of self-reliance, not just food storage—is that in the coming calamities we may see groups of Church members cut off from the normal structure of society which provides so many of their daily needs. We may also see the day when as a Church we must be independent of the world and be able to carry on with nothing but our own resources.

2. We shall have to help others in the coming calamities. A second reason why our personal and family preparedness will be especially critical has to do with another effect that is prophesied to happen. As wickedness increases and iniquity abounds (see D&C 45:27), or when the predicted judgments descend upon the world, many people will look to the Church for peace and security. And when they do, many will come with few or no resources. That means that they will need help and could become a severe demand on the resources of the Church and its members.

In the scriptures, the city of Zion and the stakes of Zion are described in terms that should give the Saints some consolation. The New Jerusalem, for example, will be "a land of peace, a city of refuge, a place of safety for the saints of the Most High God" (D&C 45:66). The Lord also said that the Saints would gather to the stakes of Zion "for a defense, and for a refuge from the storm, and from wrath when it shall be poured out without mixture upon the whole earth" (D&C 115:6).

Such conditions—peace, safety, refuge, defense—clearly will attract others who are not members of the Church. Good people will seek those conditions. The Lord specifically noted that in coming years, people will flock to the Saints for safety. Speaking of the city of Zion, he said: "And it shall come to pass among the wicked, that every man that will not take his sword against his neighbor must needs flee unto Zion for safety. And there shall be gathered unto it out of every nation under heaven; and it shall be the only people that shall not be at war one with another" (D&C 45:68-69).

Obviously, this scripture suggests a state of widespread and probably lasting social chaos. In such conditions, thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of people will join with the Saints in an attempt to escape the horrible things going on around them. The modern prophets have also talked about such possibilities. In 1856, President Heber C. Kimball, speaking of the handcart companies, asked: "Is this the end of it? No; there will be millions on millions that will come much in the same way, only they will not have hand carts, for they will take their bundles under their arms, and their children on their backs, and under their arms, and flee; and Zion's people will have to send out relief to them, for they will come when the judgments come on the nations." About a year later, he returned to that same theme and said: "It behooves us to be saving and to prepare for the time to come. The day will come when the people of the United States will come lugging their bundles under their arms, coming to us for bread to eat." fn

Orson Pratt, of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, who was told in a specific revelation that he was to prophesy and it would be given him by the power of the Holy Ghost what he should say (see D&C 34:10), also saw a time when there would be thousands of people coming to the Church for help: "They [the world] will read her laws, and say, 'Our laws are as nothing, our wisdom as foolishness, our words like the tow that is exposed to the devouring flame; we are broken asunder, torn into fragments, and ready to crush under our own weight; but your laws, government, and officers are all good, righteous, just, and true; surely the God of Israel is in your midst. Come, let us go up to Zion, let us hear from the wise legislators of Zion, and let us hear the laws proclaimed therein; let us learn of the wisdom that dwells in the servants of the Most High.' And they will come up with their armies, and their mighty men, and their judges, and their rulers, and kings will come to the brightness of her rising, and the Gentiles will come like a flowing stream, and the gates of Zion will be open day and night, and never be shut." fn

Elder Pratt said later: "A flowing stream is one that runs continually; and the Gentiles will, in that day, come to us as a flowing stream, and we shall have to set our gates open continually, they will come as clouds and as doves in large flocks. . . .

"The people will see that the hand of God is over this people; they will see that He is in our midst, and that He is our watch-
tower, that He is our shield and our defence, and therefore, they will say, 'Let us go up and put our riches in Zion, for there is no safety in our own nations.' Those nations are trembling and tottering and will eventually crumble to ruin, and those men of wealth will come here, not to be baptized, but many of them will come that have never heard the servants of God; but they will hear that peace and health dwell among us, and that our officers are all peace officers, and our tax-gatherers men of righteousness."
fn

If large numbers of people come in who have not made the proper temporal preparation—or who have had to abandon whatever temporal preparation they had—that will be a great drain on the resources of the Church. They will need to be fed and clothed and housed. The clear implication is that if we as individual members of the Church have prepared ourselves temporally and prop-erly, we will be able to help those in need rather than ourselves being a drain on the resources of the Church.

3. The Church cannot meet the needs of everyone who is unprepared. A third reason why our temporal preparation will be important is that it is not possible for the Church, as an organization, to care for everyone's needs if there is widespread social disruption. The Welfare Program was not created for that purpose. Two of its foundational principles are self-reliance and personal and family preparedness. Occasionally we will hear comments like, "Well, if things get really bad, I can always turn to the Church for help." Such misplaced hope not only is contrary to gospel principles but it will likely be impossible in every case. In the welfare session of the April 1976 general conference, Victor L. Brown, then Presiding Bishop of the Church, summarized possible conditions the Church might face and described the Church's ability to handle the needs of people in those conditions:

"Let me share the panorama of conditions that could befall each of us individually and the Church collectively. I would like you to see what might happen under three hypothetical but potentially real conditions.

"Condition One is characterized by a relatively stable economy, modest unemployment, and only limited natural disasters—a condition much like that which we now experience in this and many other countries. Only a small number of families or individuals in the Church would need to call upon their bishops for temporary health, emotional, or economic assistance. For those families or individuals unable to fully care for themselves, we would use our production projects, storehouses, employment efforts, and fast offering funds to help meet their needs. Appropriate health and social services capabilities of the Church would support the priesthood in administering to these special needs. Our present state of Church preparedness allows us to meet the claims on the Church which Condition One seems to imply.

"Condition Two is characterized by more serious health, social, and economic stress. This could include a depressed economy with serious unemployment, or perhaps localized natural disasters. Society would be unstable and disunited. In order for the Church to meet the needs of those who could not care for themselves, we would be required to produce the maximum from our production projects, reduce the variety of items produced and distributed, provide broad-scale work opportunities, and organize special quorum relief efforts. Health and social services would be needed in many places. Clearly, the material resources of the Church would be taxed heavily to meet this burden, particularly if Condition Two lasted very long or were very widespread.

"Under Condition Three, circumstances would be very serious. The economy would be very depressed, perhaps even suffering a near breakdown. Unemployment would be widespread. There would probably be widespread social disunity. This condition could be the result of either economic problems such as severe crop loss, broad-scale natural disasters, or possibly international conflict. Under such circumstances, the Church, relying on its present resources, would very likely not be able to provide any more assistance than that rendered under Condition Two, and therefore could not meet the total welfare needs of the people. . . .

"Therefore, if the time comes that we move out of Condition One into a widespread Condition-Two situation, we are well beyond the current capacity of the Church alone to meet the temporal needs of the Saints.

"I would like to stress that this preparedness includes more than temporal preparedness. Particularly in Conditions Two and Three we would encounter social disunity, worry, fear, depression, and all the emotional stresses that accompany such economic and social conditions. Health conditions would be precarious. Families and individuals would need to be prepared emotionally and physically to weather this condition. Members would have greater need than ever to rely on each other for strength and support.

"Our temporal salvation will come only in following the counsel of the Brethren to be prepared as families and individuals, as wards and as stakes. As we apply their counsel, we make of Zion a refuge and a standard of righteous living as commanded by the Lord." fn

If faithful members of the Church who have prepared themselves and their families for whatever calamities, setbacks, or disasters may strike, whether widespread or individually, are able to cope with those challenges and problems without having to draw upon the resources of the Church, the capability of the Church to help those in need would be greatly expanded. Thus, not only are we fulfilling a commandment of the Lord to be self-reliant ourselves, but we could also become a great blessing to our fellowmen. Preparing ourselves in all six areas of temporal self-reliance is one important thing we can do so that we can claim the Lord's promise, "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear."

PREPARE SPIRITUALLY

In the closing chapter of the first book of Nephi, Nephi detailed some marvelous prophecies about the events of the last days. He talked about terrible conditions in Babylon, or the world, in which the people will be warring among themselves, every nation will be warring against the house of Israel, and the fulness of the wrath of God will be poured out upon the children of men (see 1 Nephi 22:13-16). But in the midst of that terrible picture are some marvelous promises. Note what Nephi said: "Wherefore, he will preserve the righteous by his power, even if it so be that the fulness of his wrath must come, and the righteous be preserved, even unto the destruction of their enemies by fire. Wherefore, the righteous need not fear; for thus saith the prophet, they shall be saved, even if it so be as by fire. . . . For behold, the righteous shall not perish; for the time surely must come that all they who fight against Zion shall be cut off. And the Lord will surely prepare a way for his people. . . . And the righteous need not fear" (1 Nephi 22:17-22; italics added).

The key word Nephi used here is righteous. The promises of deliverance and protection are for the righteous.

The scriptures and the modern prophets make it clear that of the three areas of personal preparation—knowledge and understanding, temporal preparation, and spiritual preparation—spiritual preparation is the most critical. President Ezra Taft Benson said in 1981: "We will live in the midst of economic, political, and spiritual instability. When these signs are observed—unmistakable evidences that His coming is nigh—we need not be troubled, but 'stand in holy places, and be not moved, until the day of the Lord come' (D&C 87:8). Holy men and women stand in holy places, and these holy places consist of our temples, our chapels, our homes, and stakes of Zion." fn

Unfortunately, in some cases, spiritual preparedness is the most neglected area of preparation. During the winter of 1976-77, a severe drought had set in in the western United States. Scarcely any snow had fallen through December. In the news was constant talk of a severe water shortage if things did not change. The reaction in Utah and surrounding states with high concentrations of Latter-day Saints was an interesting one. One news report indicated that wheat—primarily for home storage—was normally trucked from Idaho into Utah at the rate of one semi-truck load per week. Suddenly the rate jumped to three semi-truck loads per day! Another television news broadcast reported that purchase of food storage items jumped 800 percent in January 1977. Newspapers reported that people were taking out loans and mortgages on property to add to their food supplies.

It would be interesting to know if at that same time there was a resulting rise in the concern about one's spiritual readiness. Did family prayer jump 800 percent during that same period? Was there a significant increase in the holding of family home evening or personal scripture study? Did temple attendance go up sharply? In short, as we rushed to beef up our food storage, was there also a great turning to the Lord and an increased desire to put one's spiritual life in order?

Remember the question people would most like to ask the Savior about his second coming? Most would ask, How do I prepare myself for what is coming? In a way, we already have the Savior's answer to that question—the Olivet Discourse, found in Matthew and other places. Some may think Matthew 24 contains the full discourse, but a careful reading of chapter 25 shows that Jesus continued his teaching to the disciples through chapter 25, ending with three parables whose very context was Christ's second coming. That assertion is borne out by the opening words of chapter 25: "And then, at that day, before the Son of man comes, the kingdom of Heaven shall be likened unto . . . " (JST Matthew 25:1). Then follow the three parables: the parable of the ten virgins, the parable of the talents, and the parable of the sheep and the goats. These parables do not discuss the signs of the times per se but rather relate to our spiritual condition. In that sense, they could be thought of as parables of spiritual preparation. So, in a way, we already have the Lord's answer to the question, How do I prepare myself for what is to come?

The Parable of the Ten Virgins (Matthew 25:1-13)

The well-known parable of the ten virgins draws on the wonderful imagery of a wedding celebration in the Middle East. George Mackie, a Christian minister who spent much of his life in the Holy Land, described what a wedding ceremony was like in Palestine in the nineteenth century. In it we see the rich imagery of the parable of the ten virgins.

"Oriental [Near Eastern] marriages usually take place in the evening. . . . The whole attention is turned to the public arrival of the bridegroom to receive the bride prepared for him and waiting in the house among her female attendants. . . .

"As the hours drag on their topics of conversation become exhausted, and some of them grow tired and fall asleep. There is nothing more to be done, and everything is in readiness for the reception of the bridegroom, when the cry is heard outside announcing his approach.

"The bridegroom meanwhile is absent, spending the day at the house of one of his relatives. There, soon after sunset, that is between seven and eight o'clock, his male friends begin to assemble. . . . The time is occupied with light refreshments, general conversation and the recitation of poetry in praise of the two families chiefly concerned and of the bridegroom in particular. After all have been courteously welcomed and their congratulations received, the bridegroom, about eleven o'clock, intimates his wish to set out. Flaming torches are then held aloft by special bearers, lit candles are handed at the door to each visitor as he goes out, and the procession sweeps slowly along toward the house where the bride and her female attendants are waiting. A great crowd has meanwhile assembled on the balconies, garden-walls, and flat roofs of the houses on each side of the road. . . . The bridegroom is the centre of interest. Voices are heard whispering, 'There he is! there he is!' From time to time women raise their voices in the peculiar shrill, wavering shriek by which joy is expressed at marriages and other times of family and public rejoicing. The sound is heard at a great distance, and is repeated by other voices in advance of the procession, and thus intimation is given of the approach half an hour or more before the marriage escort arrives. . . . As the house is approached the excitement increases, the bridegroom's pace is quickened, and the alarm is raised in louder tones and more repeatedly, 'He is coming, he is coming!'

"Before he arrives, the maidens in waiting come forth with lamps and candles a short distance to light up the entrance, and do honour to the bridegroom and the group of relatives and intimate friends around him. These pass into the final rejoicing and the marriage supper; the others who have discharged their duty in accompanying him to the door, immediately disperse, and the door is shut." fn

In the time of Christ, olive oil was used as the fuel for lamps. Some of those lamps, particularly those carried outside at night, were small. Made of clay or brass, they were filled with olive oil, in which a wick was laid and then lit to provide light. Because these lamps were small enough to fit in the palm of the hand, they obviously contained only a small amount of oil. They would generally burn for about an hour without resupply.

A careful study of the parable shows that the key element is the oil for the lamps. All of the ten were virgins. All of the ten had lamps. What distinguished the five wise virgins from the five foolish ones was the extra supply of oil they carried. In the Doctrine and Covenants, the Lord gives us the key for understanding what the oil symbolized: "At that day, when I shall come in my glory, shall the parable be fulfilled which I spake concerning the ten virgins. For they that are wise and have received the truth, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide, and have not been deceived—verily I say unto you, they shall not be hewn down and cast into the fire, but shall abide the day" (D&C 45:56-57; italics added).

Olive oil is a wonderful symbol for the power of the Holy Ghost. He is a source of light and truth. His influence is sometimes described in terms of burning and fire. For example, we speak of the burning of the bosom that sometimes accompanies his presence (see D&C 9:8). The scriptures also refer to the "baptism of fire" or of the Holy Ghost (D&C 33:11). So the oil in the parable symbolizes having the light, or the power, of the Holy Ghost in our lives.

Once we understand that symbolism, the message of the parable is clear. We must have the influence of the Spirit with us if we are to be prepared for the Bridegroom's coming. President Spencer W. Kimball commented at some length on the meaning of this parable for our day: "I believe that the Ten Virgins represent the people of the Church of Jesus Christ and not the rank and file of the world. All of the virgins, wise and foolish, had accepted the invitation to the wedding supper; they had knowledge of the program and had been warned of the important day to come. They were not the gentiles or the heathens or the pagans, nor were they necessarily corrupt and reprobate, but they were knowing people who were foolishly unprepared for the vital happenings that were to affect their eternal lives. . . .

"Hundreds of thousands of us today are in this position. Confidence has been dulled and patience worn thin. It is so hard to wait and be prepared always. But we cannot allow ourselves to slumber. The Lord has given us this parable as a special warning.

"At midnight, the vital cry was made. . . . At midnight! Precisely at the darkest hour, when least expected, the bridegroom came. When the world is full of tribulation and help is needed, but it seems the time must be past and hope is vain, then Christ will come. The midnights of life are the times when heaven comes to offer its joy for man's weariness. But when the cry sounds, there is no time for preparation....In the daytime, wise and unwise seemed alike; midnight is the time of test and judgment....

"The foolish asked the others to share their oil, but spiritual preparedness cannot be shared in an instant....

"The kind of oil that is needed to illuminate the way and light up the darkness is not shareable. How can one share obedience to the principle of tithing; a mind at peace from righteous living; an accumulation of knowledge? How can one share faith or testi-mony? How can one share attitudes or chastity, or the experience of a mission? How can one share temple privileges? Each must obtain that kind of oil for himself....

"In the parable, oil can be purchased at the market. In our lives the oil of preparedness is accumulated drop by drop in righteous living. Attendance at sacrament meetings adds oil to our lamps, drop by drop over the years. Fasting, family prayer, home teaching, control of bodily appetites, preaching the gospel, studying the scriptures—each act of dedication and obedience is a drop added to our store. Deeds of kindness, payment of offerings and tithes, chaste thoughts and actions, marriage in the covenant for eternity—these, too, contribute importantly to the oil with which we can at midnight refuel our exhausted lamps." fn

That is the real oil crisis of our generation, not the one that we sometimes see at the gas pumps. And crisis may not be too strong a word, considering how important it will be to have the Spirit with us in the days that lie ahead.

President Harold B. Lee quoted extensively from a statement by President Heber C. Kimball that directly referred to the imagery of the parable of the ten virgins: "I want to say to you, my brethren, the time is coming when we will be mixed up in these now peaceful valleys to that extent that it will be difficult to tell the face of a Saint from the face of an enemy to the people of God. Then, brethren, look out for the great sieve, for there will be a great sifting time, and many will fall—for I say unto you there is a test, a test, a TEST coming, and who will be able to stand?...

"Let me say to you, that many of you will see the time when you will have all the trouble, trial and persecution that you can stand, and plenty of opportunities to show that you are true to God and his work. This Church has before it many close places through which it will have to pass before the work of God is crowned with victory. To meet the difficulties that are coming, it will be necessary for you to have a knowledge of the truth of this work for yourselves. The difficulties will be of such a character that the man or woman who does not possess this personal knowledge or witness will fall. If you have not got the testimony, live right and call upon the Lord and cease not till you obtain it. If you do not you will not stand.

"Remember these sayings, for many of you will live to see them fulfilled. The time will come when no man nor woman will be able to endure on borrowed light. Each will have to be guided by the light within himself. If you do not have it, how can you stand?"
fn

From this we can conclude that perhaps the single most important thing that we can do in preparing ourselves for the Second Coming is to live so that we can have the power of the Holy Ghost in our lives to guide us, to help us to avoid deception, to give us testimony, and to prepare us for whatever is to come.

The Parable of the Talents (Matthew 25:14-30)

The parable of the talents, the second parable given by the Savior in Matthew 25, is well known, although not often associated with preparing ourselves for the Second Coming. It has an important lesson for anyone seeking to live the gospel, but the context in which it was given—the Olivet Discourse—gives it special meaning in relation to preparing spiritually for the Savior's return.

In the parable, a man about to take a journey into a far country calls three servants together and delivers to them some of his goods. To one he gives five talents; to another, two; and to another, one. That is done "according to [their] several ability." Then the master takes his journey, leaving the servants to carry on. The first servant through diligent effort doubles the investment given him. When the master returns and learns that this servant now has ten talents, the master is greatly pleased and says to him, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things. I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord" (Matthew 25:21). When the second servant reports that he too, through his diligent effort, has doubled the investment given to him, the master says exactly the same thing to him. That clearly indicates it was not the original amount that mattered but the effort to magnify it. We can assume, then, that if the servant to whom one talent had been given had also been diligent in the use of what the Lord had given him, the Lord would have said exactly the same thing to him as well. Only when the servant makes ex-cuses is the master angry with him, calling him a "wicked and slothful servant" (Matthew 25:26).

Once again, remembering that this parable was given as part of Christ's answer on how to prepare for his second coming, what do we learn from the parable of the talents? Statements from two of our modern prophets help us see what the Savior was trying to teach us with this parable.

President Joseph Fielding Smith linked the parable to the obli-gations of priesthood holders: "Each man holding the priesthood should learn his duty from the Parable of the Talents. . . . We are under obligation as men holding the priesthood to put to service the authority which we have received. If we do this, then we shall have other responsibilities and glory added, and we shall receive an abundance, that is, the fullness of the Father's kingdom; but if we bury our priesthood, then we are not entitled to receive any reward—we cannot be exalted." fn

And President Spencer W. Kimball talked about the meaning of the parable for all Church members: "The Church member who has the attitude of leaving it to others will have much to answer for. There are many who say: 'My wife does the Church work!' Others say, 'I'm just not the religious kind,' as though it does not take effort for most people to serve and do their duty. But God has endowed us with talents and time, with latent abilities and with opportunities to use and develop them in his service. He therefore expects much of us, his privileged children. The parable of the talents is a brilliant summary of the many scriptural passages outlining promises for the diligent and penalties for the slothful." fn

What is the lesson of this parable for those who wish to better prepare themselves spiritually? We are to use those things the Lord has bestowed upon us—gifts, talents, abilities, goods, services—in furthering his work. That is what is meant by the principle of consecration. It is a principle often taught in the scriptures. For ex-ample, in the Sermon on the Mount, the Savior said: "Seek not the things of this world but seek ye first to build up the kingdom of God, and to establish his righteousness" (JST Matthew 6:33). And an oft-repeated charge given to early leaders of the Church was to "seek to bring forth and establish the cause of Zion" (D&C 6:6; see also 12:6; 14:6).

And here is an interesting point. When we take this second charge—to strive to use whatever we have been given to further God's work—then we also fulfill the lesson of the first parable and add oil to our supply. Note how Nephi directly connected the effort to build Zion to having greater power through the Spirit: "And blessed are they who shall seek to bring forth my Zion at that day, for they shall have the gift and the power of the Holy Ghost"
(1 Nephi 13:37).

If we are diligent in consecrating to his service whatever the Lord has blessed us with, not only shall we be greatly blessed spiritually now but when the Lord comes he shall say to us, as he said to the first two servants in the parable, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant."

The Parable of the Sheep and the Goats (Matthew 25:31-46)

The parable of the sheep and the goats, the last parable given by the Savior on the Mount of Olives, is another well-known and often-cited parable that is not often directly related to preparing for the Second Coming, although that is the context in which it was given. It compares the final judgment to a shepherd's separating
his flock. In the Near East, shepherds commonly allow sheep and goats to graze together, but when it comes time for sale, shearing, or other purposes, the sheep and the goats are separated. So shall it be at the Judgment.

In the parable, those compared to the sheep are asked to sit at the right hand of God. To them, the king says, "Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me" (Matthew 25:34-36).

Surprised at the Savior's comments, those on his right hand asked, "Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?" (Matthew 25:37-39). The Lord's answer summarizes a most important gospel principle: "Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me" (Matthew 25:40).

Those who are put on the left hand of God (those compared to the goats) are dismayed, and they demand to know why they are so placed. Again the Lord explains, this time saying that they did not do any of those things for him.

This parable teaches a third area of spiritual preparation, which is that we must serve our fellowmen as though we were serving Christ. Like the doctrine of consecration, the doctrine of service to our fellowman is taught in numerous other places in the scriptures. For example, in the Lord's preface to the Doctrine and Covenants, the Lord specifically linked how we will be judged to how we have treated our fellowmen (see D&C 1:10). King Benjamin taught that when we serve our fellowman, we are serving God (see Mosiah 2:17).

Modern prophets have taught the same principle. Christian service was often stressed by President Spencer W. Kimball:

"None of us should become so busy in our formal Church assignments that there is no room left for quiet Christian service to our neighbors." fn

"Recently [the Church] established the new consolidated schedule which is aimed at enriching family life even further, together with greater opportunity for individual and family gospel scholarship and for more Christian service. We are trying to provide more time and emphasis on Christian service, so that our example can be more powerful in the world and so that those who are so worthy of attention might get more attention than they sometimes have in the past." fn

"How much easier it is to understand and accept [the gospel] if the seeker after truth can also see the principles of the gospel at work in the lives of other believers. No greater service can be given to the missionary calling of this Church than to be exemplary in positive Christian virtues in our lives." fn

These three wonderful parables show us how to prepare ourselves spiritually for the Second Coming. First, we live so that we will have the influence of the Holy Ghost to give us testimony and guide us (the lesson of the five wise virgins). Second, we render service to the Church and kingdom of God, doing all we can to further the cause of Zion and aid the Lord in doing his work (the lesson of the talents). Third, we show we love God by loving and compassionately serving our fellowman (the lesson of the sheep and the goats).

CONCLUSION

We prepare ourselves for Christ's second coming by gaining greater knowledge and understanding; by becoming temporally self-reliant in education, health, employment, home storage, resource management, and social, emotional, and spiritual strength; and by increasing our spirituality so that we have the Spirit, consecrating the things with which the Lord has blessed us to build his kingdom, and serving our fellowman. When we have made such preparation, then surely we will better understand the Lord's promise: "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear" (D&C 38:30).

President Brigham Young gave some marvelous advice about what our focus should be as we strive to be better prepared for Christ's coming: "Are you prepared for the day of vengeance to come, when the Lord will consume the wicked by the brightness of his coming? No. Then do not be too anxious for the Lord to hasten his work. Let our anxiety be centred upon this one thing, the sanctification of our own hearts, the purifying of our own affections, the preparing of ourselves for the approach of the events that are hastening upon us. This should be our concern, this should be our study, this should be our daily prayer, and not to be in a hurry to see the overthrow of the wicked. . . . Seek not to hasten it, but be satisfied to let the Lord have his own time and way, and be patient. Seek to have the Spirit of Christ, that we may wait patiently the time of the Lord, and prepare ourselves for the times that are coming. This is our duty." fn

NOTES

1. Jedediah M. Grant, "The Hand of God in Events on Earth," Improvement Era, Feb. 1915, 286; italics added.

2. Marion G. Romney, in Conference Report, Oct. 1966, 51-52; italics added.

3. Joseph Fielding Smith, The Signs of the Times (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1964), 154-55; italics added.

4. First Presidency [Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, and Willard Richards] of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Fifth General Epistle, 7 Apr. 1851; in Millennial Star 13 (15 July 1851): 210.

5. Melvin J. Ballard, in Conference Report, Apr. 1930, 157; italics added.

6. Thomas S. Monson, Ensign, Nov. 1990, 67.

7. Ezra Taft Benson, Ensign, Nov. 1987, 49.

8. Spencer W. Kimball, in Conference Report, Oct. 1977, 124.

9. Harold B. Lee, address delivered at LDS Church employees Christmas devotional in Salt Lake City, Utah, 13 Dec. 1973, 6; italics added.

10. Marion G. Romney, in Conference Report, Apr. 1975, 165; italics added.

11. Spencer W. Kimball, in Conference Report, Apr. 1974, 184-85; italics added.

12. Heber C. Kimball, in Journal of Discourses, 26 vols. (London: Latter-day Saints' Book Depot, 1854-86), 4:106; 5:10; italics added.

13. Orson Pratt, in Journal of Discourses, 2:60-61; italics added.

14. Ibid., 3:16-17.

15. Victor L. Brown, Ensign, May 1976, 111-12; italics in original.

16. Ezra Taft Benson, The Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson (Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1988), 106; italics added.

17. George Mackie, Bible Manners and Customs (New York: Fleming H. Revell, 1898), 123-26.

18. Spencer W. Kimball, Faith Precedes the Miracle (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1972), 253-56; italics added.

19. Orson F. Whitney, Life of Heber C. Kimball (Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1945), 446, 449-450; cited in Harold B. Lee, in Conference Report, Oct. 1965, 128.

20. Joseph Fielding Smith, in Conference Report, Apr. 1966, 102.

21. Spencer W. Kimball, The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, ed. Edward L. Kimball (Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1992), 149.

22. Ibid., 256.

23. Ibid., 493.

24. Ibid., 555.

25. Brigham Young, in Journal of Discourses, 9:3; italics added.

(Watch and Be Ready: Preparing for the Second Coming of the Lord [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1994], 192.)

Digitali
captain of 10

Re: A little reading about last days if you are bored

Post by Digitali »

Great read and timely. The explanations of the parables in context added new meaning. Did you read the entire book?

friendsofthe
captain of 1,000

Post by friendsofthe »

Bro. Lund is right on the money! I try to tell family and ward members that we need to prepare for an extended period of time when we will not have natural gas, gasoline, the power grid etc. Most appear to think that we will only suffer temporary inconvenience . I certainly don’t get the impression that it will be only a bump in the road from reading brother Lund’s remarks.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Thank you! I'll pass it along.

Mr Lonely
captain of 50

Post by Mr Lonely »

Thank You so much for this post. It is very important, and brings much new hope to some of us.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

The above counsel makes it very clear that we are expected to store extra food and supplies, not only for ourselves and our families, but also for those who will come to us with virtually nothing. As for me and my house, we will share!

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

kathyn wrote:The above counsel makes it very clear that we are expected to store extra food and supplies, not only for ourselves and our families, but also for those who will come to us with virtually nothing. As for me and my house, we will share!
Amen!

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

Digitali wrote:Great read and timely. The explanations of the parables in context added new meaning. Did you read the entire book?
Welcome to the forum! I have it on a cd. I do not read books per se but do searches in those books using my computer. The search of "chaos" and "United States" brought this up. I really like Lund. He sticks to the prophets and apostles when he teaches. He has a good grasp on what is happening.

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

The preparation of the Spirit reminds me of a two-fold deception that could deceive the elect, if one does not have the Spirit of the Holy Ghost to discern truth:

1) The imposition of secular values into the Church culture, more to the point, egalitarianism at the sake of truth and obedience. There are those today that are setting up the Church to be split by an imposition to values that seem on the surface and in many contexts to be okay. Consequently, there are those that fight against this element, and are lost in their vitriol and haughty attitudes toward these sinners. They are not filling their lamps in either case. They are concerned sociology of the Church, it's ecumenical-ism if you will. This oil may light their lamps, but it trusts in the arm of flesh, of cultural trends, in economic security, in equal rights in all areas. When any of these fail, so does their light and they fall away into forbidden paths. They are deceived by what they perceive as the tail wagging the dog, the Church always catching up to consensus. Others fill the oil of their own Rameumptoms, secure in the knowledge that they are temple recommend holders, not heathens, and have separated themselves from those that have not been so richly blessed as they. Their Calvinistic assurances will be dashed on the rocks of hardships that fall on the blessed and cursed equally.

2) After this separation, a more devious separation occurs, when the powers of darkness will use the illusion of light to separate those that understand the signs and believe in them, but cannot discern them. This will come in deceptions by those that will use signs to call the faithful to follow them into a greater understanding. Those with the Spirit will discern the deception. Those that borrow light and have only the knowledge of events will be tested in this manner with false signs, false Christs, false lights, and the like. It is critical to be able to discern this so that we stand with the Savior under such testing times. Being too anxious to grasp answers to pressing questions will lead certain of us to an unwitting destruction.

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

Makes me think that test, test, TEST refers to 1) a political/sociological/cultural test (which I believe is now underway) 2) a physical hardship test where people have to trust in the Lord instead of wondering "why them" 3) the false spirituality that will arise to direct the deceived into bondage.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Bump.

I particularly enjoyed re-reading the statement of President Kimball --
President Spencer W. Kimball commented at some length on the meaning of this parable for our day: "I believe that the Ten Virgins represent the people of the Church of Jesus Christ and not the rank and file of the world. All of the virgins, wise and foolish, had accepted the invitation to the wedding supper; they had knowledge of the program and had been warned of the important day to come. They were not the gentiles or the heathens or the pagans, nor were they necessarily corrupt and reprobate, but they were knowing people who were foolishly unprepared for the vital happenings that were to affect their eternal lives. . . .

"Hundreds of thousands of us today are in this position. Confidence has been dulled and patience worn thin. It is so hard to wait and be prepared always. But we cannot allow ourselves to slumber. The Lord has given us this parable as a special warning.

"At midnight, the vital cry was made. . . . At midnight! Precisely at the darkest hour, when least expected, the bridegroom came. When the world is full of tribulation and help is needed, but it seems the time must be past and hope is vain, then Christ will come. The midnights of life are the times when heaven comes to offer its joy for man's weariness. But when the cry sounds, there is no time for preparation....In the daytime, wise and unwise seemed alike; midnight is the time of test and judgment....

"The foolish asked the others to share their oil, but spiritual preparedness cannot be shared in an instant....

"The kind of oil that is needed to illuminate the way and light up the darkness is not shareable. How can one share obedience to the principle of tithing; a mind at peace from righteous living; an accumulation of knowledge? How can one share faith or testi-mony? How can one share attitudes or chastity, or the experience of a mission? How can one share temple privileges? Each must obtain that kind of oil for himself....

"In the parable, oil can be purchased at the market. In our lives the oil of preparedness is accumulated drop by drop in righteous living. Attendance at sacrament meetings adds oil to our lamps, drop by drop over the years. Fasting, family prayer, home teaching, control of bodily appetites, preaching the gospel, studying the scriptures—each act of dedication and obedience is a drop added to our store. Deeds of kindness, payment of offerings and tithes, chaste thoughts and actions, marriage in the covenant for eternity—these, too, contribute importantly to the oil with which we can at midnight refuel our exhausted lamps." fn

That is the real oil crisis of our generation, not the one that we sometimes see at the gas pumps. And crisis may not be too strong a word, considering how important it will be to have the Spirit with us in the days that lie ahead.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I guess No Greater Love left the forum? :(

In any case, For those of you more interested in this topic, there is an excellent new book called Visions Of Glory. He compiled all the available revelations about the end days--the massive quakes in Utah that destroy the Salt Lake Valley, burying the south of it in a lake, the plague that kills mercilessly and those who survive, among which, are the saints. Many of them are called to travel and build stakes of Zion and gather the Lord's elect from around the globe, and the travels of many to New Jerusalem and lastly the vision of the great and dreadful day when Christ appears in a massive billowing cloud in the company of angels. This book also chronicles John Taylor's vision of these end times, the disasters, plagues and wars. Another vision by a Quaker woman about the temple in Cardston, Canada and more visions by other past leaders. Putting them all together gives the reader a relatively good portrait of what to expect. Truly we will need to make ourselves worthy and unspotted from the world and stand IN holy places--temples, churches and even our own homes, wherever and whatever they may be (houses, tents, etc).

http://www.amazon.com/Visions-Glory-Man ... 1462111181" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andrew52
captain of 100

Post by Andrew52 »

Bored? I'm scared as hell!

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Andrew52 wrote:Bored? I'm scared as hell!
I'm getting over this part. The more I ponder Abinadi and many other prophets who suffered, including Christ who willingly gave himself to pain and suffering, the more I realize that allowing fear to paralyze me pollutes my faith. The two cannot exist together or else faith will fail. And part of that faith is learning to accept whatever trials we will each endure as part of our refining process. It is simply a must if we are to be counted worthy of Christ who descended below us all and took upon Himself what each of us will individually endure.