The Abomination of Desolation

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
GregoryR
captain of 100

Post by GregoryR »

The abomination of desolation (specific terms)
The abomination of desolation, like the moon being bathed in blood, is another example of an event that is spoken of in general terms and is also spoken of specifically. The prophet Daniel spoke prophetically of a day when there would be “the abomination that maketh desolate” (Dan. 11:31; 12:11). In the New Testament we also read of “the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet” (Matt. 24:15).
Speaking about the specific nature of this event the Bible Dictionary states that “Conditions of desolation, born of abomination and wickedness, were to occur twice in fulfillment of Daniel’s words. The first was to be when the Roman legions under Titus, in A.D. 70, laid siege to Jerusalem.” (JS Matthew 24:1-2, D&C 45: 16, 20).
The second time is spoken of by Jesus when telling his disciples of the events prior to the end of the world or in the last days: “And again shall the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, be fulfilled” (JS Matthew 24: 31, 32). This event is also spoken of by John in Revelation 11: 2 “and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months”. During this time their only defense is the two prophets of the Lord that keep the forces of evil at bay. As we read in Revelation about the wicked conditions surrounding this period of time and the oppression of the Jews it is evident that this is the event that Jesus is describing to his disciples: “For then, in those days, shall be great tribulations upon the Jews, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem; such as was not before sent upon Israel, of God, since the beginning of their kingdom until this time; no, nor shall be sent again upon Israel.” (JS Matthew 24: 18)
The abomination of desolation (general terms)
In a general sense, the term “abomination of desolation” also describes the judgments of God to be poured out upon the wicked.
84 Therefore, tarry ye, and labor diligently, that you may be perfected in your ministry to go forth among the Gentiles for the last time, as many as the mouth of the Lord shall name, to bind up the law and seal up the testimony, and to prepare the saints for the hour of judgment which is to come;
85 That their souls may escape the wrath of God, the desolation of abomination which awaits the wicked, both in this world and in the world to come. Verily, I say unto you, let those who are not the first elders continue in the vineyard until the mouth of the Lord shall call them, for their time is not yet come; their garments are not clean from the blood of this generation. (D&C 88: 84-85)
114 Nevertheless, let the bishop go unto the city of New York, also to the city of Albany, and also to the city of Boston, and warn the people of those cities with the sound of the gospel, with a loud voice, of the desolation and utter abolishment which await them if they do reject these things.
115 For if they do reject these things the hour of their judgment is nigh, and their house shall be left unto them desolate.
117 And verily I say unto you, the rest of my servants, go ye forth as your circumstances shall permit, in your several callings, unto the great and notable cities and villages, reproving the world in righteousness of all their unrighteous and ungodly deeds, setting forth clearly and understandingly the desolation of abomination in the last days. (D&C 84: 114, 115, 117)
In examining these declarations the Lord is indicating that the abomination of desolation is a response to or a consequence of wickedness.
Descriptions & Examples (general terms)
The bible dictionary gives the following definition for the word abomination:
Abomination: An object that excites loathing (Prov. 12:22); hence an idol (2 Kgs. 23:13; Isa. 44:19). The word is also used to denote any heathen or immoral practice (Deut. 18:9, 12; 20:18); also the flesh of prohibited animals (Lev. 11:10–13), etc.
The abomination portion of the term “abomination of desolation” can be summed up as being the acts of man that that are abominable in the sight of the Lord.
The descriptors for the word desolation are as follows: ruin, depopulation, dreariness, barrenness, solitary misery, sorrow, grief, woe, wretchedness. The consequences of the sword of justice upon these unholy acts can result in conditions of desolation that are numerous and unpleasant. To understand more fully the type of desolation to which the Lord is referring in the last days, we need only examine the footnote for the word “scourge” in the following passage of scripture.
31 And there shall be men standing in that generation, that shall not pass until they shall see an overflowing scourge; for a desolating sickness shall cover the land.
32 But my disciples shall stand in holy places, and shall not be moved; but among the wicked, men shall lift up their voices and curse God and die. (D&C 45: 31, 32)
*The footnote for the word scourge refers us to D&C 29: 14-21:
14 But, behold, I say unto you that before this great day shall come the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall be turned into blood, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and there shall be greater signs in heaven above and in the earth beneath;
15 And there shall be weeping and wailing among the hosts of men;
16 And there shall be a great hailstorm sent forth to destroy the crops of the earth.
17 And it shall come to pass, because of the wickedness of the world, that I will take vengeance upon the wicked for they will not repent; for the cup of mine indignation is full; for behold, my blood shall not cleanse them if they hear me not.
18 Wherefore, I the Lord God will send forth flies upon the face of the earth, which shall take hold of the inhabitants thereof, and shall eat their flesh, and shall cause maggots to come in upon them;
19 And their tongues shall be stayed that they shall not utter against me; and their flesh shall fall from off their bones, and their eyes from their sockets;
20 And it shall come to pass that the beasts of the forest and the fowls of the air shall devour them up.
21 And the great and abominable church, which is the whore of all the earth, shall be cast down by devouring fire, according as it is spoken by the mouth of Ezekiel the prophet, who spoke of these things, which have not come to pass but surely must, as I live, for abominations shall not reign.
The consuming of the dead carcasses by the beasts and the fowls also fits with John’s description of the aftermath of the abomination found in Revelation.
17 And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God;
18 That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all amen, both free and bond, both small and great.
21 And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh. (Rev. 19: 17-18, 21)
It would only make sense that the scourge as described in the Doctrine and Covenants with the beats and the fowls feasting on the dead would be the same event as described by John in Revelation. This would also connect the time of these events to the last 42 month period before the coming of the Lord.
The abomination of desolation as spoken of in general terms comprehends the judgements of God in consequence of man’s abominable acts. What is certain is that as wickedness increases in the earth so will the judgements of God in preponderance.

The abomination of desolation (a consequence)
In describing how the abomination of desolation would come upon us the Lord states:
“24 Behold, vengeance cometh speedily upon the inhabitants of the earth, a day of wrath, a day of burning, a day of desolation, of weeping, of mourning, and of lamentation; and as a whirlwind it shall come upon all the face of the earth, saith the Lord.
25 And upon my house shall it begin, and from my house shall it go forth, saith the Lord;
26 First among those among you, saith the Lord, who have professed to know my name and have not known me, and have blasphemed against me in the midst of my house, saith the Lord.” (D&C 112: 24-26)
This would indicate that when the sanctity of the temple is no longer observed by some of the temple patrons there will be heavenly consequences. The prophet Daniel refers to these times as when the daily sacrifice is taken away.
11 And from the time that the daily sacrifice shall be taken away, and the abomination that maketh desolate set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days. (Dan. 12: 11)
In D&C 112: 24 the Lord says that as a whirlwind it shall come upon the whole earth. It would seem that when a portion of the saints fall into gross wickedness that this is the last straw. The Lord then, as Daniel describes, sets up the abomination that maketh desolate. All indications are that the general conditions and the specific conditions of abomination of desolation in these last days will occur at around the same time.
In verse 6 of chapter 12 Daniel asks the Lord “How long shall it be to the end of these wonders?” The Lord’s response is “a thousand two hundred and ninety days”. As we already know the period of time that Jerusalem will be under siege prior to the coming of the Lord is described in similar terms; “a thousand two hundred and threescore days”. The Lord is warning us, to let us know how long we should expect to endure the desolation of abomination when it does come. The Lord also says:
“12 Blessed is he that waiteth, and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days.” (Dan 12: 12)
*The reason for the additional time of 45 days is likely in reference to Isaiah’s prophecy to the “scornful men”.
14 ¶Wherefore hear the word of the Lord, ye scornful men, that rule this people which is in Jerusalem.
*This is in reference to those in the highest positions that are in control of the world economy and the fate of nations
15 Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves:
*They think to avoid the judgements of God.
16 Therefore thus saith the Lord God, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.
17 Judgment also will I lay to the line, and righteousness to the plummet: and the hail shall sweep away the refuge of lies, and the waters shall overflow the hiding place.
*This is when the hail of the weight of a talent destroys their refuge and shortly thereafter the waters are commanded to go into the north at the coming of the Lord. (Rev. 16: 21, D&C 133: 23)
18 ¶And your covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it.
*This is the requirement for extra time as the scourge will endure to see this prophecy fulfilled to those who think to escape because of their covenant with death, and with hell.
Whether this is meant as a warning of how long we must remain vigilant or as a warning and an admonition to keep our covenants, we will be blessed for doing so. In any event the abomination of desolation will be set up in response to wickedness but more especially due to the wickedness of the saints. The book of Mormon which is a book for our time shows us plainly that there are cycles of righteousness that exist. However we are comforted in knowing that this is referring to a portion of the saints. We also know that the Kingdom of God on earth will continue to roll forth until it has filled the earth.

The abomination of desolation (additional time parameters)
As we examine the time when the abomination of desolation (general terms: Judgements of God) takes place and when the abomination of desolation (specific terms: siege of Jerusalem) takes place, it is evident that the time frames coincide. All of the time references to the abomination converge into one time frame, that being during the final 42 months ( plus or minus 75 days) just prior to the second coming. Here is another reference to time found in the Doctrine and Covenants.

In D&C section 45 the Lord shows it unto us as he showed it unto his disciples:
16 And I will show it plainly as I showed it unto my disciples as I stood before them in the flesh, and spake unto them, saying: As ye have asked of me concerning the signs of my coming, in the day when I shall come in my glory in the clouds of heaven, to fulfil the promises that I have made unto your fathers,
17 For as ye have looked upon the long absence of your spirits from your bodies to be bondage, I will show unto you how the day of redemption shall come, and also the restoration of the scattered Israel.
18 And now ye behold this temple which is in Jerusalem, which ye call the house of God, and your enemies say that this house shall never fall.
19 But, verily I say unto you, that desolation shall come upon this generation as a thief in the night, and this people shall be destroyed and scattered among all nations.
20 And this temple which ye now see shall be thrown down that there shall not be left one stone upon another.
21 And it shall come to pass, that this generation of Jews shall not pass away until every desolation which I have told you concerning them shall come to pass.
*In reference to the first abomination of desolation around A.D. 70 (BD)
22 Ye say that ye know that the end of the world cometh; ye say also that ye know that the heavens and the earth shall pass away;
23 And in this ye say truly, for so it is; but these things which I have told you shall not pass away until all shall be fulfilled.
24 And this I have told you concerning Jerusalem; and when that day shall come, shall a remnant be scattered among all nations;
25 But they shall be gathered again; but they shall remain until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.
*In reference to the gathering of Israel
26 And in that day shall be heard of wars and rumors of wars, and the whole earth shall be in commotion, and men’s hearts shall fail them, and they shall say that Christ delayeth his coming until the end of the earth.
*This is a reference to the great earthquake during the sixth seal (Rev 6:12-17, D&C 88: 87-93) Due to nature of this earthquake of disastrous worldwide proportions the people of the world will believe that this must be the second coming. When the Lord does not come they will say that he delayeth his coming.
27 And the love of men shall wax cold, and iniquity shall abound.
28 And when the times of the Gentiles is come in, a light shall break forth among them that sit in darkness, and it shall be the fulness of my gospel;
29 But they receive it not; for they perceive not the light, and they turn their hearts from me because of the precepts of men.
*This will be when the world entirely rejects the gospel
30 And in that generation shall the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.
*This is the end of the time of the gentiles. This is very close to the time of the second coming, as the millennium follows the time of the gentiles. 1 Nephi 13: 42 references the fact that Jesus will manifest himself unto the Jews after the time of the Gentiles: “…and the last shall be first and the first shall be last.”(The lord will manifest himself unto the Jews at his second coming.)
31 And there shall be men standing in that generation, that shall not pass until they shall see an overflowing scourge; for a desolating sickness shall cover the land.
*And in this same generation as when the time of the Gentiles is fulfilled we will see the overflowing scourge, the desolating sickness.
32 But my disciples shall stand in holy places, and shall not be moved; but among the wicked, men shall lift up their voices and curse God and die.

The abomination of desolation (a voice of warning)
To fully understand the warning that has been given there is a certain underlying principle that must be understood in order to lend clarity to the magnitude of the warning. The principle is the following:
“34 Wherefore, verily I say unto you that all things unto me are spiritual, and not at any time have I given unto you a law which was temporal; neither any man, nor the children of men; neither Adam, your father, whom I created.
35 Behold, I gave unto him that he should be an agent unto himself; and I gave unto him commandment, but no temporal commandment gave I unto him, for my commandments are spiritual; they are not natural nor temporal, neither carnal nor sensual.” (D&C 45: 34-35)
The principle that the Lord is trying to teach is this: When we are instructed by way of commandment to do something it is spiritual. A commandment to build a fire is spiritual. A commandment to build a temple is spiritual. A commandment to have food storage is spiritual. A commandment to grow a garden is spiritual. Why are we commanded to pray over our crops? It is spiritual.
To enter the temple there is an interview. Questions are asked. In reality there will be an interview for all that we do. One of the questions may be: Have you followed my council in what you call temporal preparedness? Another may be the following:
77 And I give unto you a commandment that you shall teach one another the doctrine of the kingdom.
78 Teach ye diligently and my grace shall attend you, that you may be instructed more perfectly in theory, in principle, in doctrine, in the law of the gospel, in all things that pertain unto the kingdom of God, that are expedient for you to understand;
79 Of things both in heaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must shortly come to pass; things which are at home, things which are abroad; the wars and the perplexities of the nations, and the judgments which are on the land; and a knowledge also of countries and of kingdoms—(D&C 88: 77-79)
Most recently in October 2009 this council was again reiterated. I find it interesting that the Lord considers for example “the perplexities of the nations” or “things which must shortly come to pass” as pertaining to the kingdom of God, to the extent that we should teach these things diligently, by way of commandment, while seeking for his grace to attend us.
The Lord does not leave us without reason for he states:
80 That ye may be prepared in all things when I shall send you again to magnify the calling whereunto I have called you, and the mission with which I have commissioned you.
81 Behold, I sent you out to testify and warn the people, and it becometh every man who hath been warned to warn his neighbor.
82 Therefore, they are left without excuse, and their sins are upon their own heads.
83 He that seeketh me early shall find me, and shall not be forsaken.
84 Therefore, tarry ye, and labor diligently, that you may be perfected in your ministry to go forth among the Gentiles for the last time, as many as the mouth of the Lord shall name, to bind up the law and seal up the testimony, and to prepare the saints for the hour of judgment which is to come;
85 That their souls may escape the wrath of God, the desolation of abomination which awaits the wicked, both in this world and in the world to come. Verily, I say unto you, let those who are not the first elders continue in the vineyard until the mouth of the Lord shall call them, for their time is not yet come; their garments are not clean from the blood of this generation.
86 Abide ye in the liberty wherewith ye are made free; entangle not yourselves in sin, but let your hands be clean, until the Lord comes.
There is a reason why the Lord has instructed us to prepare for this day. Do we feel that his council is ill timed or that perhaps we will not see the day? Remember that before the day of the abomination of desolation there are many other trials including an earthquake of worldwide proportions. Are we prepared for all these events? There is more to preparing than reading our scriptures and acts of service. While these acts are absolutely necessary and their importance should in no way be diminished, even Joseph of old was required to prepare for the seven lean years.

Galticus
captain of 50

Re: The Abomination of Desolation

Post by Galticus »

GregR,

Might I suggest shortening your posts by boiling it down to a paragraph. Like your Seventh Seal posting, I want to respond, but the way you have presented it feels like your drinking through a spiritual garden hose on full blast. It's too much to tackle. I've recently been studying the actual meaning of Abomination of Desolation, but I need to collect my thoughts and boil down my point prior to posting again.

Just a friendly thought.

Just a thought

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

think that is spelled OBAMA-NATION for desolation :D

Samuel the Lamanite
captain of 1,000

Post by Samuel the Lamanite »

The most critical part about the Abomination of Desolatation is that the evil one enters the Temple and declares himself God. The ONLY Christian/Jewish organizations that have working temples are Mormons. This really makes me ponder on how this will come about.

What say ye?

friendsofthe
captain of 1,000

Post by friendsofthe »

Here is what Elder McConkie says about the man of sin.

3. Man of sin] "Lucifer is the man of sin, spoken of by Paul who was to be revealed in the last days before the Second Coming of our Lord. (2 Thess. 2:1-12.) He is the one of whom men shall say: 'Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms; That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners?' (Isa. 14:1-20.)
2 Thes 2 "Joseph Smith, by revelation, inserted into Paul's account about the man of sin, these words: 'He it is who now worketh, and Christ suffereth him to work, until the time is fulfilled that he shall be taken out of the way.' (Inspired Version, "#2 thes. 2:72 Thess. 2:7.) That is, Satan was then committing havoc among men, and he would continue to do so until the ushering in of the millennial era when he would be bound.
2 Thes 2 "Paul's promise that the man of sin must be revealed before our Lord could return for the millennial era has been abundantly fulfilled. Lucifer's wicked plans, purposes, and works have been revealed or manifest from time to time, from the day of Paul to the present. At a conference of the Church held June 3, 1831, 'the man of sin was revealed,' in that some of the brethren were overcome by devils whom the Prophet rebuked and cast out. (History of the Church, vol. 1, p. 175.)" (Mormon Doctrine, 2nd ed., pp. 467-468.)

Henmasher
captain of 1,000

Post by Henmasher »

Samuel the Lamanite wrote:The most critical part about the Abomination of Desolatation is that the evil one enters the Temple and declares himself God. The ONLY Christian/Jewish organizations that have working temples are Mormons. This really makes me ponder on how this will come about.

What say ye?
I believe he will enter the temple that is rebuilt in Jerusalem by the Jews. Isn' that right?

Samuel the Lamanite
captain of 1,000

Hen: It's my understanding that the Jerusalm Temple will be under direction of the Church Priesthood. Does anyone think that Satan could enter say the SLC TEmple? I know that some brothers lie in their TR interview. I unxerstand that an unworthy memebr can actually bring Satan into the Temple in terms of that person's spirit and demeanor

What say ye?

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

hmmmmmmmmm, yup, if that's the case, Satan has been ther MANY TIMES.....to lots of temples....abomination abounds

Samuel the Lamanite
captain of 1,000

Sb: Possibly. I' not claiming that. IMO, the TR questions are way too board. Bishops are instructed NOT to "pry" deeper. This I don't understand because they have been set apart as Judges in Israel.

Here is one of my pet gripes. IMO, the most important covenent we make is to the Law of Consecration. IMO, if one is trul living this Law, there won't be any breaking of the other covenants. If I'm correct, what truly do we mean by Consecration.. it says all time, money, ertc to the Kingdom of God and for the building up of Zion in these last days.

All time and money? If someone fails to considtentl do their home/visiting teaching, can they honestly say they are living the LofC? If they fail to give a large Fast Offering? I could take many other exmaples but will end with one that really bugs me.

The way for a retired senior to give 100% time and significant money committemnt is by going on a Senior Mission. Problem is that very, very few Seniors are doing this and the ones that are doing it, usually end up doing muliple missions. If someone when asked to go on a Senior Mission, say a high Priest, TR holder and says NO, IMO this person is breaking the MOST serious covenant made. This person shpould NOT get a TR renewal but have TR taken from him/her.

I would contend that if we don't strengthen the depth and specificty of these TR interviews, one is in effect allowing potential very sinful people into the Sacred Temple. IMO, such people can bring Satan in the Temple with them. Perhaps IF we slacken more the TR interview, Satan can move into one's body and walk into a Temple and become the Beast thus bring about the AofD.

What say ye?

sixth seal
captain of 100

Post by sixth seal »

My understanding of the abomination of desolation seems to be slightly different. At least that which is mentioned in Matthew 24. Matt 24:15 refers to the abomination of desolation spoken of by Daniel. So we go to Daniel 9: 2 & 27. This is spoken of in the context of the "70 weeks" prophecy which was given as a time table for the Jews in Jerusalem to make a reconciliation for their iniquities and to bring in everlasting righteousness (by accepting Jesus as the Messiah when He would come). My understanding is that it was because of the Jews not fulfilling that decree and further committing abominations (i.e. crucifying Christ) that they were made desolate. This occurred in 70 AD when the Romans layed siege to Jerusalem and killed over a million Jews. It makes sense once you look at Matthew 24: 4-22 as Jesus telling His deciples about the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD. Matthew 24: 27-51 then goes on to describe the events of the second coming. So from my understanding, the abomination of desolation is not describing a future last days event where satan or the "antichrist" enters into the temple and defiles it. There are plenty of devestating and horrifying events to come in these last days, but I don't think that this is a reference to one of them. I certainly could be wrong. If I have gotten my information wrong, please help me out.

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

sixth seal wrote:My understanding of the abomination of desolation seems to be slightly different. At least that which is mentioned in Matthew 24. Matt 24:15 refers to the abomination of desolation spoken of by Daniel. So we go to Daniel 9: 2 & 27. This is spoken of in the context of the "70 weeks" prophecy which was given as a time table for the Jews in Jerusalem to make a reconciliation for their iniquities and to bring in everlasting righteousness (by accepting Jesus as the Messiah when He would come). My understanding is that it was because of the Jews not fulfilling that decree and further committing abominations (i.e. crucifying Christ) that they were made desolate. This occurred in 70 AD when the Romans layed siege to Jerusalem and killed over a million Jews. It makes sense once you look at Matthew 24: 4-22 as Jesus telling His deciples about the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD. Matthew 24: 27-51 then goes on to describe the events of the second coming. So from my understanding, the abomination of desolation is not describing a future last days event where satan or the "antichrist" enters into the temple and defiles it. There are plenty of devestating and horrifying events to come in these last days, but I don't think that this is a reference to one of them. I certainly could be wrong. If I have gotten my information wrong, please help me out.
You will have to re read Daniel many times to start seeing what the 70 weeks referred to and the abomination of desolation. The 70 weeks originally referred to 70 years of captivity of the Jews in Babylon. It might have future symbolism. The desolation of Abom in Daniel is a prophecy of what is going to happen before the saints are delivered from their persecution at AOA.
Search for "sanctuary" in Daniel.

Samuel the Lamanite
captain of 1,000

^th seal: In my study of Prophecy, I find that in almost every case, the first fullfillment you've mentioned is really a type and SHADOW for the greater event to occur in the last days leading up to the 2nd coming. It could be that the AOD does not fit that pattern but IMO it very much does as we KNOW that satan will have a world govt. And Satan is after all the "god of this world."

AshleyB
captain of 1,000

Post by AshleyB »

Personally in my opinion.... I see the abomination of desolation as being a planet that comes close to earth. Many ancient myths speak of "a destroyer" All the same cultures that recorded events from the creation story.. spoke about A Destroyer. I believe this destroyer will be the cause of the abominations of desolation. Or in a sense this planet will be the abomination of desolation which is spoken about. I believe that the skys we see now look nothing like the skys of antiquity. I believe that the reason the language of prophecy can seem so confusing is because we are lacking insight into our own planets cosmological history. We are lacking knowledge that the ancients once had. That over time perceptions shifted and we became blind in a sense. It is my firm belief that Joseph Smith restored these truths but that the truths are usually only discerned through study, perceptions changing and a paradigm shift of sorts. Our temples are riddled with cosmological imagery that is usually a mixture of current skys and past skys and the truths of the past point to truths of the future. I feel that if we are truly to grasp and understand what we will be in store for those who are alive during the abomination of desolation we must look to our past to events such as the exodus. I feel that the events they and many through out the scriptures that were endured will be similar to events we will yet be endured and that they are all caused by cosmological phenomena. I believe HF operates through the laws of nature and science that we have yet to fully understand. Im not always good about this but I will try to explain some of what I am talking about.

THINGS AS THEY ARE, WERE AND ARE TO COME

Or better yet, Ill borrow the words of somebody who understand these things better then I do and speaks better as well:

New Heavens, New Earth: Suddenly or Slowly?

The heavens and the earth are repeatedly referenced in the scriptures by the prophets as the objects of remarkable, sweeping changes in the past and in the future.

"For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind." (Isaiah 65:17.)

"Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness." (2 Peter 3:13.)

"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea." (Revelation 21:1.)

"And there shall be a new heaven and a new earth; and they shall be like unto the old save the old have passed away, and all things have become new." (Ether 13:9.)

"And the end shall come, and the heaven and the earth shall be consumed and pass away, and there shall be a new heaven and a new earth." (Ibid.)

"For all old things shall pass away, and all things shall become new, even the heaven and the earth, and all the fullness thereof, both men and beasts, the fowls of the air, and the fishes of the sea; ...." (D&C 29:23, 24.)

Descriptions of these alterations are couched in emphatic terms that strongly suggest dramatic differences — changes so great that only the terms “new,” “old,” “consumed” and “pass away” seem to suffice in order to fully illustrate the radical degree of change seen in the past and foreseen for the future.

Typically, these changes are said to occur in transitional eras, relatively short periods of time either during the Deluge at the end of the Patriarchal Age or in a time immediately prior to the Second Coming of the Savior at the ushering in of the Millennium.

Of course, we learn from modern geology and astronomy that such a dramatic change is physically impossible in the space of a few years or decades. Change comes very slowly, we are told by scientists and scholars. The renowned astronomer Carl Sagan, given science’s view of the tediously slow rate at which these things seem to change, was fond of saying "billions and billions of years" when referring to the periods of time needed to change the heavens above us and the face of the earth at our feet.

Nevertheless, the preponderance of the evidence from the scriptures, cited above, indicates just the opposite: A rapid and dramatic change has occurred in the past and will occur yet again in the future.

This contradiction between science and the prophets puts Latter-day Saints on the horns of a dilemma. Do we believe science or the prophets with regard to how rapidly change takes place on the Earth and the solar system — indeed, in our universe? Why is this of any concern to us?

The answer comes in two parts. The first part rests in a brief history lesson to examine two opposing scientific theories of how change comes about in the earth and in the heavens.

The two opposing theories were passionately debated in the scientific community in the mid-19th century. One group of scientists and scholars felt that the most profound change in the earth and in the heavens came in sudden, sweeping, dramatic and catastrophic events, such as Noah’s Flood. Hence, the term “Catastrophism” was coined to designate that theory. A second group insisted that such change comes only very slowly and gradually, in the same consistent and uniform manner as we see it operating in the forces of nature all around us today where mountains rise ever so slowly while water and wind ever so slowly wear them away, gradually and inexorably altering the entire face of the earth. Hence, the term "Gradualism" was coined, also sometimes called the theory of Uniformity or Uniformitarianism.

By the end of the 19th century, the debate was over. The precepts of Gradualism carried the day — to such a degree that the scientific community unwaveringly refused to seriously considered Catastrophism for nearly two centuries. Scientists and scholars derisively lumped catastrophists together with religionists as a class of people for whom rational thought and empiricism were foreign processes.

Even today, when the patently catastrophist idea of an asteroid impact catastrophically wiping out the dinosaurs — suddenly and irreversibly altering the face of the earth and its entire ecosystem in an instant — has made an unprecedented comeback, reconsidering Catastrophism still seems to be out of the question for science. Even when the whole world has been treated to a graphic demonstration of the sudden, catastrophic, planet-altering power of incoming comet fragments when Shoemaker/Levi 9 repeatedly impacted Jupiter in 1994 — a celestial visual aid presented by the Creator, if you will — science steadfastly refuses to re-evaluate its decision to opt for Gradualism as the primary mechanism of change on the earth and in the heavens. Even more incomprehensible still is the religionists’ proclivity for turning a blind eye to these things, ignoring the implications of these discoveries for their perception of scriptural accounts.

The second part of our answer seems to lie in a short declaration made by Elder Orson Pratt, an early Apostle and confidant of the prophet Joseph Smith.

"Many geological speculations have been put forth to account for the great changes that have happened in the surface strata of the earth. But it is not our intention to examine the probability of improbability of those conjectures; but merely to give some few facts from divine revelation to show that the present geological conditions of our globe are not, in their general characteristics, the result of slow and gradual changes; but the effects of sudden convulsions and catastrophes under the control and superintendence of the All-powerful Being who formed all things." (The Seer, Vol. II, No. 4, April, 1854, italics added.)

Once again we see that revealed knowledge pointed to the more correct of the two theories and foreshadowed the most recent discoveries at the end of the 20th century about our world that have only recently begun to revolutionize science and replace old scientific dogma.

Elder Pratt was a recognized scientist and mathematician in his day, having worked out part of the equation to more accurately describe the orbits of planets. In addition, his direct observations of the phases of the moon from a small observatory constructed on the temple grounds in Salt Lake City formed the basis for the Moon Stones, which accurately depict the phases of the moon on the walls of that sacred temple.

That said, it becomes evident that Elder Pratt spoke with both the authority of good science and "divine revelation." Indeed, it is apparent that he could appropriately be called a catastrophist. Moreover, he emphatically declares that the idea of slow and gradual change is not the scriptural perspective revealed to the prophets.

So, how should modern Saints see all this? What would be the benefit of altering our views?

Only by seeing scriptural references such as those quoted at the beginning of this article through the eyes of Catastrophism, as espoused by Elder Pratt, can we properly conceive of the import of their message. Otherwise, seen from a Gradualism perspective, they seem like largely inconsequential, lyrical rhetoric, indicative of little.

Seen in the Catastrophism context, the only circumstances that would cause the ancient prophets to speak of changed heavens and earth would be dramatic changes in Earth’s orbit and position in our solar system. Though science vehemently denies that possibility, the only logical conclusion is that our planet has changed its position in the solar system with respect to the other planets, the stars and our sun and that it will do so again in the last days. Only such sweeping changes could give earthlings a "new heaven" and a "new earth." Given Elder Pratt’s assertions and the scriptural statements of past and future changes, the conclusion is inescapable.

No wonder the prophets characterized the Earth as reeling "to and fro" during such events.

The Keys to Prophecy 9: Apollyon, the Destroyer
Like the histories of all ancient cultures, that of the Hebrews — the Old Testament — tells the very same story of sky-spanning marvels and manifestations that profoundly and directly impacted their culture and beliefs. Comparing the names of the pagan gods they worshipped supports this conclusion, as we have seen.

Having made that connection, we can now turn to the scriptural record to see how well that knowledge helps our comprehension of symbolism that otherwise seems unfathomable.

For example, Baal, a figure we see often in the Old Testament, was the god of the Canaanites, sometimes neighbors and enemies of the Israelites. From time to time in their history most Israelites worshipped him as well, to the dismay of the prophets.

Apollo was the Greek equivalent of Baal. In fact, the name is the same, altered only by linguistic preferences. The Greeks added an antecedent 'a' (a-baal), softened the hard 'b' sound to a 'p' and then added an 'o' ending (a-paal-o).

The conclusion: The Greeks worshipped the same sky god as the Canaanites and the apostate Israelites.

Although the Greek’s god Ares is more typically associated by scholars with the Roman war god, Mars, others insist that Apollo (Apollon/Apollyon) was also a Greek equivalent. For that reason, Apollo was virtually adopted intact from the Greek into the Roman pantheon. So, as we make cross-cultural connections of these gods, we learn that the Old Testament god Baal is the same as the Greek Apollo and the Roman god of war, Mars.

The planets in our solar system, such as Mars, were not arbitrarily assigned the names of mythical gods, as most suppose. The nine known planets bear the names of Roman gods and goddesses because some of them were the 'gods' that once stood near to or passed perilously close to the Earth, illuminating and dominating the ancient heavens as well as occasionally raining destruction on the world's civilizations.

In fact, Revelation’s Apollyon is usually translated "destroyer," a fitting description of Apollo’s Roman counterpart, the warrior god Mars.

These connections become particularly useful when we consider the following enigmatic passage from John’s vision. "And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon." (Revelation 9:11.)

Earlier in that same chapter, it is a "star" that opens the bottomless pit. Of course, we’ve learned in earlier installments in this series that the ancients commonly called planets that once hovered near the Earth "stars."

Can you see where this is leading? John implied that, this "king," "angel" or "star" — Apollyon — was the planet Mars. This is the key.

Thus, we learn many things from John’s carefully worded explanation in these few verses.

Foremost, we learn that this "king," which is also the "angel of the bottomless pit" and the "star" that fell to the earth, is a planet. Thus, we must conclude that other references to kings, angels, beasts, stars and creatures in John’s account may be references to planets as well.

This tendency to use common images to describe celestial objects is still practiced today where star constellations are given names like Great Bear, Lion and Archer, and where the greatest star cluster is called the Milky Way. It’s a cultural tradition from antiquity, employed by John, which we preserve in the present.

It also fits perfectly with Joseph Smith's teaching that the beasts seen by prophets in heavenly visions are not beasts at all but "images" meant to represent something else. (For clarification of this, see "Joseph Smith's Marvelous Key.")

We can also now see that John drew upon traditions common to all cultures around the Mediterranean to describe the future. This practice of drawing on the past to describe the future is a common literary device used by the prophets — Nephi and Isaiah, for example — one that John employed throughout his record.

Also implied is the idea that the imagery of the entire vision draws heavily upon the cultural traditions of John's time, employing the sacred, "mythical" stories of those pagan cultures of the "seven churches which are in Asia" that John addressed in Revelation to explain the place of Christ in those traditions as well as events of the last days.

Thus, the images or icons embodied in those ancient cultural traditions are the keys to interpreting all the imagery of John’s enigmatic vision, Revelation. And so it is, too, with all the visions of the prophets recorded in scripture. Armed with these keys, which are an understanding of the meaning of that imagery, the most mysterious symbolism of the scriptures becomes easy reading.

In order to properly understand all these mysterious, symbolic references, we must know both what these traditions were and their origins. We cannot simply guess at their meaning, as do most modern expositors of prophecy. Such gratuitous speculation is commonplace, though dangerously misleading.

In order to grasp the meaning of prophecy, we must know as much about the past as we do the present.

© Anthony E. Larson, 2005

There is a Physicist named Immanuel Velikovsky who wrote a book called worlds of collision and was extremely popular when it first came out back in the 1950's :

Worlds in Collision is a book of wars in the celestial sphere that took place in historical times. In these wars the planet earth participated too. [...] The historical-cosmological story of this book is based in the evidence of historical texts of many people around the globe, on classical literature, on epics of the northern races, on sacred books of the peoples of the Orient and Occident, on traditions and folklore of primitive peoples, on old astronomical inscriptions and charts, on archaeological finds, and also on geological and paleontological material.
The book proposed that around the 15th century BCE, Venus was ejected from Jupiter as a comet or comet-like object, passed near Earth (an actual collision is not mentioned). The object changed Earth's orbit and axis, causing innumerable catastrophes which were mentioned in early mythologies and religions around the world. Fifty-two years later, it passed close by again, stopping the Earth's rotation for a while and causing more catastrophes. Then, in the 8th and 7th centuries BCE, Mars (itself displaced by Venus) made close approaches to the Earth; this incident caused a new round of disturbances and disasters. After that, the current "celestial order" was established. The courses of the planets stabilized over the centuries and Venus gradually became a "normal" planet.
These events lead to several key statements:
Venus must be still very hot as young planets radiate heat.[4]
Venus must be rich in petroleum gases, and hydrocarbons.[5]
Venus has an abnormal orbit in consequence of the unusual disasters that happened.
Velikovsky suggested some additional ideas that he said derived from these claims, including:
Jupiter emits radio noises.[6]
The magnetosphere of Earth reaches at least up to the moon.
The sun has an electric potential of approximately 1019 volts.
The rotation of earth can be affected by electromagnetic fields.
Velikovsky arrived at these proposals using a methodology which would today be called comparative mythology - he looked for concordances in myths and written history of unconnected cultures across the world, following a literal reading of their accounts of the exploits of planetary deities. In this book, he argues on the basis of ancient cosmological myths from places as disparate as India and China, Greece and Rome, Assyria and Sumer. For example, ancient Greek mythology asserts that the goddess Athena sprang from the head of Zeus. Velikovsky identifies Zeus (whose Roman counterpart was the god Jupiter) with the planet Jupiter. Velikovsky identifies Athena (the Roman Minerva) with the planet Venus. This myth, along with others from ancient Egypt, Israel, Mexico, etc. are used to support the claim that "Venus was expelled as a comet and then changed to a planet after contact with a number of members of our solar system" (Velikovsky 1972:182). –
[edit]

But basically Velikovsky was the first to link ancient mythologies and ancient cultural records and stories together to determine that the earth has not always been the quiet stable home it is now and that the ancients witnessed events that we cannot even comprehend at this time and that the earth has undergone major changes in short periods of time.
Many of his original claims were rejected by mainstream science at the time but were later found to be true. Such as that fact that Jupiter would emit radio waves. After sending some of the first probes to Jupiter we discovered that Jupiter did in fact emit radio waves and this is one of the very things that later would cause Einstein to investigate Velikovsky's claims.

Anyway, there was a lot of stuff that I could have posted on this subject but there would not be enough room to post all the scriptures and references that I could so I will stop before this gets too long. But if anyone is interested I could post some more though I wouldn't want this thread to become high jacked so maybe I could start a new thread on this subject but as these things pertain to the abomination of desolation I thought Id add to it. Also, a good place to get a lot of info on this is: http://www.mormonprophecy.com/prophecy, ... gospel.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also sometimes wonder if in the scriptures when it speaks of Christ coming in red dyed garments I wonder if this is just symbolic because of what arrives with him. The abomination of desolation. And that this planet is what will cause the mountains to be made low etc...etc... Actually does the scripture actually say Christ? Now I need to go look it up.

AshleyB
captain of 1,000

Post by AshleyB »

The Keys to Prophecy 8: The Grand Sign

Major changes in the planetary order, some involving earth-threatening catastrophes, have occurred within human memory, and they were recorded by the survivors on the billboards of antiquity — temples and monuments — as well as in sacred texts of all religions.

This is a crucial key to understanding scriptural symbolism — not only in prophecy, but also throughout sacred texts.

For our culture, these are found in Old Testament events such as the Creation, the Deluge, the Tower of Babel, Sodom and Gomorrah, the Exodus, Joshua’s Long Day, Elijah’s fire from heaven, and many other such strange and mysterious accounts.

The latter-day revelations, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price, reflect that same perspective with numerous accounts of world-changing events connected with heavenly objects or signs, casting Joseph Smith in the same cosmological role as all the biblical prophets.

By every means at their command, cultures around the world attempted to communicate their experience to future generations — to us. Through texts, myth, ritual and art, on parchment and stone, they sought to preserve a record of these tumultuous events. We fail to recognize them for what they are because we see nothing in our heavens even remotely similar to their accounts.

The first institutions of civilization arose from ritual practices honoring, imitating and memorializing these events and the planetary powers involved. Those monuments, institutions and practices are remarkably preserved in our cultures even to this day, yet we fail to recognize them for what they are.

Why, then, should it surprise anyone that the prophets would recall and employ the symbolism generated in their cultures by the physical phenomena associated with past planetary sky pageants to rehearse identical types of events they had foreseen in our future?

Indeed, this is the crux of the story and a truth that Latter-day Saints should readily acknowledge. They knew it would happen again. The prophets knew that the interplanetary phenomena of past planetary catastrophes, complete with the myriad manifestations that fill ancient texts and adorn crumbling temple walls — images, symbols and icons — would once again be reinstated in the heavens at a future time they called the "last days."

This approach alone explains some peculiar revelations given through the prophet Joseph Smith in this dispensation.

"There will be wars and rumors of wars, signs in the heavens above and on the earth beneath, the sun turned into darkness and the moon to blood, earthquakes in divers places, the seas heaving beyond their bounds; then will appear one grand sign of the coming of the Son of Man in heaven. What will the world do? They will say it is a planet, a comet, &c." (History of the Church, 5:337.)

Of course this sign, as Joseph Smith implied, will be a planet that looks and behaves like a giant comet. That’s what all the heavenly 'signs' in the past were. But what makes this planet most unusual is that it will make a close approach to the Earth — close enough to instigate all the natural disasters outlined in the beginning of the prophet's statement. (For a more thorough explanation of this concept, see "Modern Signs.")

The above quote from the prophet, as with all prophecy and ancient history, has little meaning unless seen from the perspective outlined in this series. Only from this point of view does it become truly meaningful, much more than a colorful metaphor. Now we see it for what it truly is: a completely understandable declaration of fact.

The same is true with many revelations given to Joseph Smith. They are littered with such declarations.

"… there shall appear a great sign in heaven, and all people shall see it together." Doctrine and Covenants 88:93, italics added.)

"… I will rend their kingdoms; I will not only shake the earth, but the starry heavens shall tremble. For I, the Lord, have put forth my hand to exert the powers of heaven; ye cannot see it now, yet a little while and ye shall see it … . (Ibid., 84:118, 119.)

"… the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall be turned into blood, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and there shall be greater signs in heaven above and in the earth beneath; …" (Ibid., 29:14.)

Modern revelation brings us the truth: "… knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come." (Ibid., 93:24.)

This is a fundamental key. We have but to "open the eyes of our understanding" to receive it.

© Anthony E. Larson, 2004

Samuel the Lamanite
captain of 1,000

BestSun: Very interesting post worth pondering. I would suggest that a comet, etc will NOT sit in the Temple and declare itself God. Are you saying that the Temple and Satan sitting there is just symbolism? What say ye?

AshleyB
captain of 1,000

Post by AshleyB »

Haha Good point. So yes, I dont think a planet will be sitting in the temple... I think the abomination of desolation is the event that will take place and is comprised of many different things...some symbolic and some not. I think the planet will be the cause or rather more I should say the effect of wickedness running rampant and the mechanism that HF uses to purge our planet of all unrighteousness. As far as the Antichrist being in the temple Im not sure about that one. Will it be one man or will it just be the spirit of the Antichrist? Not sure. I think there are and have been many Antichrists.

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

right now, in America, it's Obamanation of Desolution? :(

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

I submit that the word Abomination refers to an evil practice/combination of evil practices that are upheld by society and the law. Right now that would include the chain of immorality from adultery, fornication, birth control (for promiscuity reasons), abortion, pornography, homosexuality to gay marriage... nearly every one of these sins has been upheld by the US Supreme Court. Gay marriage will be ruled constitutional - probably before the end of June 2012. Then it is a short step towards forces religions to marry gays in their churches, synagogues, and temples - OUR temples...

All of these sins listed contribute to desolation - the destruction of the family. The dramatically falling birth rates in every nation in Europe, as well as Japan...and to a lesser extent - the USA. Abortion, lax moral codes, pornography, divorce, hedonism and materialism, homosexuality...all combine to limit reproduction and destroy marriage and the family....

Throw in gay marriages, forced upon churches....and you have the perfect storm - Maher-shalal-hash-baz - Destruction is Imminent...

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Samuel the Lamanite wrote:Sb: Possibly. I' not claiming that. IMO, the TR questions are way too board. Bishops are instructed NOT to "pry" deeper. This I don't understand because they have been set apart as Judges in Israel.

Here is one of my pet gripes. IMO, the most important covenent we make is to the Law of Consecration. IMO, if one is trul living this Law, there won't be any breaking of the other covenants. If I'm correct, what truly do we mean by Consecration.. it says all time, money, ertc to the Kingdom of God and for the building up of Zion in these last days.

All time and money? If someone fails to considtentl do their home/visiting teaching, can they honestly say they are living the LofC? If they fail to give a large Fast Offering? I could take many other exmaples but will end with one that really bugs me.

The way for a retired senior to give 100% time and significant money committemnt is by going on a Senior Mission. Problem is that very, very few Seniors are doing this and the ones that are doing it, usually end up doing muliple missions. If someone when asked to go on a Senior Mission, say a high Priest, TR holder and says NO, IMO this person is breaking the MOST serious covenant made. This person shpould NOT get a TR renewal but have TR taken from him/her.

I would contend that if we don't strengthen the depth and specificty of these TR interviews, one is in effect allowing potential very sinful people into the Sacred Temple. IMO, such people can bring Satan in the Temple with them. Perhaps IF we slacken more the TR interview, Satan can move into one's body and walk into a Temple and become the Beast thus bring about the AofD.

What say ye?
You forgot to mention that there are reasons why some members are not called nor allowed to go on a mission. Obesity, health conditions and indebtedness, to name a few. Not everyone can serve a mission, and IMO, aren't necessarily called evil for not going. We are told to "do many things of our own free will and choice in righteousness" that "we are not to be told what to do all the time", and that "we are not to be compelled" to do good works." I know a guy that works as a volunteer doing community service at a local park/wild life refuge. He cuts thorny berry vines along pathways so peoples' legs don't get scratched, he also is on the lookout for any criminal activity and calls the proper authorities depending on the need.
Is community service any less accounted unto us for rigteousness than going on a mission?

Just some thoughts.

Samuel the Lamanite
captain of 1,000

FreedomFighter: Certainly any type of voluntary service is great. The GAs tell us to be good community citizens.

Actually some Missions are totally humanitarian. In many countries that dohn't allow the Restored Gospel to be preached, they will allow humanitarian missionaries.

Health is NOT as much a limiting factor as many believe. There are many services that a handicapped person can do on a Senior Mission. At Nauvoo, the following were ful time missionaries with their senior parent:

1. A young man who was in a wheel chair with no ability to walk or hardly able to move his arms. He provided an example to all of us what it means to be dedicated.
2. Two young people who had downs syndrome. One actually helped serve in the Nauvoo Temple on Saturdays with my wife and I as well as dancing, etc in the various plays. The other was one of my best buddies. Before being on his mission. he withdrew from people. He was my SGT Major during one of the scenes in Rendevous in Nauvoo. He blossomed and was an inspiration to all.
3. A sister who could hardly walk was assigned to be a secretary to the MP.

So, the message isn't getting out. There are important assignments for EVERYONE.

So, I will say again, that almost any High Priest and sister who has taken their endowments is failing to keep the Law of Consecration by not serving at least one senior mission. A visitor from the Missionary Dept siad that when China is opened up, the Church will need a minimum of 50,000 msiionaries. The only way that will happen is for the Seniors to greatly lengthen their stride.

Book of Ruth
captain of 100

Post by Book of Ruth »

Why would the LDS religion have to allow gay marriage in the temple if it is deemed a constitutional right? Non-temple recommend holders are not allowed to marry in the temple now, so what is the connection as to why that would change with gay marriage ruling?

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

because it would be viewed as discrimination....look at what happened to churches that used to say it was a sin to have inter-racial marriage... they were pressured and forced to perform them... now race and gay marriage are not the same...but the strategies are...

And what is the gay couple are both LDS? then what? Since gay sex is now a protected constitutional right, and gay identity/orientation trumps all... the move is to break down ALL barriers to total acceptance and embracing of their lifestyle - there can be NO resistance...

Nan
captain of 1,000

Post by Nan »

Samuel the Lamanite wrote:Sb: Possibly. I' not claiming that. IMO, the TR questions are way too board. Bishops are instructed NOT to "pry" deeper. This I don't understand because they have been set apart as Judges in Israel.

What say ye?
I think the covenants are a progression. It starts out with obedience and sacrifice. You have to be able to keep that one to truly move on to the next covenant. I also think that keeping specific ones allows you to be in specific kingdoms. The last one is the one needed to enter into the celestial kingdom. I see people getting stopped at all different levels. I think if people are entering unworthily into the temple they are condemning themselves. I am actually not to worried about it.

Samuel the Lamanite
captain of 1,000

Great thought about progression and levels related to either the Terrestraial or Celestial. Thanks for the insight.

I'm worried that Satan will use someone (evil spirits have been known to take over bodies) who isn't worthy and NOT outed to enter the Temple and complete the prophecy in Revelations. IF not that, then waht? Unless you reject the Satan speaking as he was God from the Temple. What say ye?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Samuel the Lamanite wrote:FreedomFighter: Certainly any type of voluntary service is great. The GAs tell us to be good community citizens.

Actually some Missions are totally humanitarian. In many countries that dohn't allow the Restored Gospel to be preached, they will allow humanitarian missionaries.

Health is NOT as much a limiting factor as many believe. There are many services that a handicapped person can do on a Senior Mission. At Nauvoo, the following were ful time missionaries with their senior parent:

1. A young man who was in a wheel chair with no ability to walk or hardly able to move his arms. He provided an example to all of us what it means to be dedicated.
2. Two young people who had downs syndrome. One actually helped serve in the Nauvoo Temple on Saturdays with my wife and I as well as dancing, etc in the various plays. The other was one of my best buddies. Before being on his mission. he withdrew from people. He was my SGT Major during one of the scenes in Rendevous in Nauvoo. He blossomed and was an inspiration to all.
3. A sister who could hardly walk was assigned to be a secretary to the MP.

So, the message isn't getting out. There are important assignments for EVERYONE.

So, I will say again, that almost any High Priest and sister who has taken their endowments is failing to keep the Law of Consecration by not serving at least one senior mission. A visitor from the Missionary Dept siad that when China is opened up, the Church will need a minimum of 50,000 msiionaries. The only way that will happen is for the Seniors to greatly lengthen their stride.
So if someone says they do not want to go on a mission for whatever reason, that gives you right to judge them. Besides, what someone else does...does not affect your salvation, now does it? I also have read that man only sees man, God looks upon the heart. I don't think you have reached the latter stage yet in your progression.