Who will be the next Prophet?

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
chrisa18
captain of 100

Who will be the next Prophet?

Post by chrisa18 »

Who will be the next Prophet? Just Wondering

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Re: Who will be the next Prophet?

Post by pjbrownie »

It seems unlikely but I have an inkling it will be Boyd K Packer.

chrisa18
captain of 100

Post by chrisa18 »

Doesn't the church pick prophets on senority of service? if it is by seniority of service, will Boyd be pres.?

mattctr
captain of 100

Post by mattctr »

chrisargyle18 wrote:Doesn't the church pick prophets on senority of service? if it is by seniority of service, will Boyd be pres.?
Yes, the most senior (service not age) living apostle, who is the president of the 12, once the first presidency is disbanded following the death of the prophet, becomes the next president of the church. Currently, Elder Packer is the most senior apostle (president of the 12) and would become the next prophet, if he were to outlive President Monson, which may or may not be the case. Elder Perry and Elder Nelson are next in seniority.

AngelPalmoni
captain of 100

Post by AngelPalmoni »

Christ will be, because the millenium will come before the end of Thomas S Monson... Or I guess Thomas S Monson will never Die, he will live to the age of a Tree and then be Twinkled... as will all of you.

mattctr
captain of 100

Post by mattctr »

AngelPalmoni wrote:Christ will be, because the millenium will come before the end of Thomas S Monson... Or I guess Thomas S Monson will never Die, he will live to the age of a Tree and then be Twinkled... as will all of you.
Pretty bold assertion. I cannot say whether it is right or wrong, but I can tell you feel very convinced of your timeline. My only concern, what if you're wrong? Do you give up and lose faith, or do you continue moving forward, awaiting the Savior's return? If you're right, great!

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Well, Christ will be King, and He will certainly preside over the church as he does even now. But do we know during the millenium if there will still be a quorum of 12, Seventies etc, and if so, why not still a first Presidency who would of course be subject to the Lord - but that's not any different than now.

I may be wrong, but I think during the millenium we may learn to focus more on each becoming prophets within our own sphere.

Songbird
captain of 1,000

Post by Songbird »

chrisargyle18 wrote:Doesn't the church pick prophets on senority of service? if it is by seniority of service, will Boyd be pres.?
Forgive me, but I would like to ask you to show respect for President Packer's leadership and position: Please refer to him as President Packer, not "Boyd".
Thank you

chrisa18
captain of 100

Post by chrisa18 »

Sorry songbird. I'm tired and I tried to shorten his name.Angel Palomni when do you think the millenium will start?

Songbird
captain of 1,000

Post by Songbird »

Thanks...sorry you are tired...

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

AngelPalmoni wrote:Christ will be, because the millenium will come before the end of Thomas S Monson... Or I guess Thomas S Monson will never Die, he will live to the age of a Tree and then be Twinkled... as will all of you.
hmmmmm I'll just let that pass w/o comment.

AP: I do have a questions for you about ADA. Either I missed it or your scrolls say little to nothing about ADA. When do your scrolls say ADA will occur?

AngelPalmoni
captain of 100

Post by AngelPalmoni »

mattctr wrote:
Pretty bold assertion. I cannot say whether it is right or wrong, but I can tell you feel very convinced of your timeline. My only concern, what if you're wrong? Do you give up and lose faith, or do you continue moving forward, awaiting the Savior's return? If you're right, great!
I hope I am wrong! Nope I have plans A to Z just in case it happens later or sooner. If nothing happens soon then I will probably start trying to work for the CES here in calgary or just keep working my way up in the Bank. I am pretty convinced as well. But it's never healthy to put all your heart into something because if nothing happens you are as good as dead anyways lol.

Cheers

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

I think it is worth to point out that the matter of secession to the Presidency in one of tradition and not written out practice, for example it is not found in the D&C. Now let's assume that nothing major happens, like the second coming of Christ, then following the traditional practice of the Church it would be President Packer. However President Packer's health is not good and it seems that he may pass away before President Monson. Then it would be Elder Perry and then Elder Nelson

Now let's indulge in a bit of speculation for a moment. Let's say the President of the 12 were to become mentally incapacitated in some way. Think of President Benson's condition late in his life as an example. Would, in such a case, the Presidency of the church fall to the President of the 12 or would it move on to the next senior apostle? Remember that our traditional practice is not codified in scripture.

mattctr
captain of 100

Post by mattctr »

gkearney wrote:I think it is worth to point out that the matter of secession to the Presidency in one of tradition and not written out practice, for example it is not found in the D&C. ...Would, in such a case, the Presidency of the church fall to the President of the 12 or would it move on to the next senior apostle? Remember that our traditional practice is not codified in scripture.
Worth consideration. I presume the unified voice of the quorum could make such a decision. Here's an interesting bit from the Encyclopedia of Mormonism on how the practice evolved (I've heard it said that "current practice dictates doctrine"):
http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/President_of_the_Church
Instituted through revelation, the position or calling of President of the Church has developed together with the organization of the Church as a whole. Prior to the official organization of the church in 1830, Joseph Smith held the central leadership role as prophet of the restoration. In a revelation given on May 15, 1829, Joseph Smith was instructed that he and Oliver Cowdery should be ordained the first and second elders when the Church was formally organized (JS-H 1:72). This took place on April 6, 1830.

During the organizational meeting, Joseph Smith received a revelation in which he was given the titles of seer, translator, prophet, apostle of Jesus Christ, and elder of the Church of Jesus Christ. He was also told how to lay the foundation of the Church (D&C 21:1-2). Those present at the first meeting voted unanimously to accept Joseph Smith as first elder and prophet. At this meeting the fundamental precedent for Church government was established: Callings, including that of prophet, require that the mind and will of God be made manifest and that the will and consent of the people to abide by it be indicated through a sustaining vote (see Common Consent).

While the Church was in its early years, Joseph Smith, Oliver Cowdery, and a small group of elders met quarterly and made basic policy decisions for the Church. In September 1830 the uniqueness of Joseph Smith's position in the Church was affirmed when Hiram Page, a member of the Church, claimed to have received revelations for the Church. Joseph Smith inquired of the Lord and received a clarifying revelation that he alone was to receive commandments and revelations for the entire Church (D&C 28:2, 11-14).

In January 1832, at a small conference of elders in Amherst, Ohio, Joseph Smith was sustained as President of the High Priesthood and ordained to that office by Sidney Rigdon. In March of that same year, the office of President of the Church was further elaborated by the announcement of the organization of a Presidency to consist of a President and counselors (D&C 81:1-3). On April 26, 1832, a general conference of the Church was held in Jackson County, Missouri, where Joseph Smith was sustained and acknowledged as President of the High Priesthood.

Presidents of the Church serve for life and are not released because of age or health. The authority to designate a successor after receiving revelation from the Lord, rests in the hands of the Twelve, who meet for that purpose after the death of the President. Once a new president has been designated and approved by the unanimous vote of the apostles, he selects his counselors, who are also sustained by the Twelve. These actions are then sustained by the Church membership at the next general conference.

The procedures of succession in the presidency have developed gradually since the organization of the Church. After the Prophet Joseph Smith was assassinated, some members thought his counselor, or even his son, should be his successor; but the Twelve knew that they held the keys and that the senior apostle should preside. Accordingly, Brigham Young, the president of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, led the Church from that position for three and a half years until he was installed and sustained with counselors as a First Presidency. The next two Presidents were also ordained after about the same lapse of time; but since 1898 the succession process has been invoked without delay after the death of a President.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Who sets apart the president of the Church? Who interviews him and issues the call? From whom does he recieve keys?

Libertas
captain of 100

Post by Libertas »

tribrac wrote:Who sets apart the president of the Church? Who interviews him and issues the call? From whom does he recieve keys?
"Jesus Christ holds all the keys of the priesthood pertaining to His Church. He has conferred upon each of His Apostles all the keys that pertain to the kingdom of God on earth. The senior living Apostle, the President of the Church, is the only person on earth authorized to exercise all priesthood keys (see D&C 43:1–4; 81:2; 107:64–67, 91–92; 132:7)." Handbook 2, section 2.1.1.

Upon ordination to the holy apostleship and membership in the quorum of the 12, an apostle is given all priesthood keys, but only the senior member, the president of the church, can exercise all the keys. The remaining apostles hold them in abeyance. Nowadays, the succession in the presidency goes something like this: the living apostles meet shortly after the death of the senior apostle under the direction of the senior apostle who is always the president of the quorum of the 12; the 2nd in seniority, nominates the most senior apostle to be president of the church and acts as voice in the setting apart. Because the Lord decides who lives or dies, He directly controls the process of who becomes the next president of the church.

Nan
captain of 1,000

Post by Nan »

And since they are told when they are made apostles that their setting apart isn't finished until Christ comes to them and lays his hands on them I suppose that is what happens to a new prophet too.

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

"....0ne mighty and strong..................." :wink:

AussieOi
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by AussieOi »

Songbird wrote:
Forgive me, but I would like to ask you to show respect for President Packer's leadership and position: Please refer to him as President Packer, not "Boyd".
Thank you
well if you are going to be sanctimoneous about it I want YOU to include his first name AND initial (now that the church is a middle initial official kingdom)

Funny that one eh, Isaiah, Jeremiah, John, they all got ONE name, then Joseph Smith got 2, Brigham Young, Lorenzo Snow, they all got 2. And then the Americans had to go and give us the middle initial. Yes the middle initial. I dare any of you to call Gordon B Hinckley "President Gordon Hinckley". Or Boyd K Packer "President Boyd Packer"

You won't be able to do it I assure you. You can refer to him by just his NAME with Middle Initial alone, but even if you preface it with "President", if you drop the all powerful middle initial I bet you can't do it

Thus I question the assertion that we must be reminded that by using the middle initial we are showing respect for these great men.

I look forward to the day when the church drops the middle initial thing and joins the rest of the world.
George Dubya Bush
William Jefferson Clinton
Michael J Fox

UNless I am mistaking President Boyd Packer with the other President of the quorum of the 12 in the LDS Church President Boyd K Packer.

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

sbsion wrote:"....0ne mighty and strong..................." :wink:
Art Bulla? He'll have to shave that beard if he's going to be the next prophet.

dewajack
captain of 100

Post by dewajack »

I believe Nan is referring to the charge given the apostles by Oliver Cowdery.

hedgehog
captain of 100

Post by hedgehog »

In modern tradition it has been the seniormost member but I distinctly recall it being not required. Also do the 12 have to be unanimous or only a majority have to support it? Remember the 12 hold all the keys and I believe the 70 also do. So even if all the 12 were instantly killed the 70 still collectively holds the authority to reorganize.

I received some interesting what I believe was revelation about the millennial structure of the 12 +first presidency. It seems so obvious once I started thinking about it. "My house is a house of order" It came to me while reading 3Nephi where the American 12 are chosen. I always found the wording curious. They are careful to say that those twelve do not supplant the 12 of Judah.

Ishmael was Ephraim. So when Lehi (Manasseh) sons married Ishmael s daughters they became Joseph of both Ephraim and Manasseh. Thus shouldn't all Lamanites be both Ephraim and Manasseh?

reese
captain of 1,000

Post by reese »

hedgehog wrote: I received some interesting what I believe was revelation about the millennial structure of the 12 +first presidency. It seems so obvious once I started thinking about it. "My house is a house of order" It came to me while reading 3Nephi where the American 12 are chosen. I always found the wording curious. They are careful to say that those twelve do not supplant the 12 of Judah.Interesting that Christ called the 12 in America 'disciples' not apostles. They were also called disciples at the beginning of the restoration too, until someone changed it to apostles sometime in the 1900's.

Ishmael was Ephraim. So when Lehi (Manasseh) sons married Ishmael s daughters they became Joseph of both Ephraim and Manasseh. Thus shouldn't all Lamanites be both Ephraim and Manasseh?This can put an interesting new dimesion to the prophesies about Ephraim crowning the house of Israel with blessings. It could actually be accomplished by "the remnant", that makes us "gentiles" a bit more unecessary than we like to think we are. :shock: It makes sense as it will be the remnant building New Jerusalem, with us gentiles that repent assiting them.

reese
captain of 1,000

Post by reese »

AussieOi wrote:
Songbird wrote:
Thank you
well if you are going to be sanctimoneous about it I want YOU to include his first name AND initial (now that the church is a middle initial official kingdom)

Funny that one eh, Isaiah, Jeremiah, John, they all got ONE name, then Joseph Smith got 2, Brigham Young, Lorenzo Snow, they all got 2. And then the Americans had to go and give us the middle initial. Yes the middle initial. I dare any of you to call Gordon B Hinckley "President Gordon Hinckley". Or Boyd K Packer "President Boyd Packer"

You won't be able to do it I assure you. You can refer to him by just his NAME with Middle Initial alone, but even if you preface it with "President", if you drop the all powerful middle initial I bet you can't do it

Thus I question the assertion that we must be reminded that by using the middle initial we are showing respect for these great men.

I look forward to the day when the church drops the middle initial thing and joins the rest of the world.
George Dubya Bush
William Jefferson Clinton
Michael J Fox

UNless I am mistaking President Boyd Packer with the other President of the quorum of the 12 in the LDS Church President Boyd K Packer.
:lol:
Personally I wish we were in the day of "Brother Joseph". It would make it a lot easier to remember that these men are just men, like everybody else.

hedgehog
captain of 100

Post by hedgehog »

This can put an interesting new dimension to the prophesies about Ephraim crowning the house of Israel with blessings. It could actually be accomplished by "the remnant", that makes us "gentiles" a bit more unecessary than we like to think we are. :shock: It makes sense as it will be the remnant building New Jerusalem, with us gentiles that repent assiting them.
That was one of my primary lines of thinking also when I read about Ishmael being Ephraim. Unless Mothers tribe doesn't matter then we euro-peons are technically redundant to the prophecies.